Moparts

edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions....

Posted By: MikeyT

edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 12:30 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on Edlebrock's 800 cfm Thunder series carbs. How are they to work with? Do people have issues with them? Any knowledge would be great

Thanks

Mike
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 12:46 AM

Can't remember the last time I saw an el-dabrock/carter at the dragstrip..
What do you want it to do? (more info)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 01:01 AM

i run them and love em. dual quads, very easy to tune to.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 02:27 AM

Those carbs work great. I've used a bunch of them over the years on various combinations. Very nice carb for dual quad applications but they also work great on a Performer RPM or even single plane intakes.

Attached picture 5853383-505_CH.jpg
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 03:52 AM

We use two of them on an Indy intake, with a Indy headed NSS motor.

They are great!!! Easy to work with....once that big plenum heats up you could idle through a McD's drive through.

Can't beat them.

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 10:03 AM

Yep, they work great......much better fuel curve than the Edlebrock Performer carbs.......

Did you ever get a good converter in your car?

Wayne

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 11:38 AM

The 800 even works great on milder street engines believe it or not--I love them--I only use the Thunder series --the std 750 is a pain and must have some design problem--they can be a nightmare but the 800 Thunder series is fantastic for the $$
Best Holley out there IMO is the 750 HP body by AED in Richmond Va for the $$ one of the best--if you have enough initial timing at idle they are amazing! Customer service is great too.
I use about one a week of these two so ...
Posted By: RAMM

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 11:59 AM

Thunder series AVS carbs are quite good. Smooth, great idle, easy to tune. I have used them on smallblocks big blocks and even Chevys. Thanks J.Rob
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 01:53 PM

you'll need two in order to beat one holley.

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 07:10 PM

Quote:

Maybe if you're tuning on them......

Wayne

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 07:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wayne

humm 3 big block posters use them in pairs....not saying an 800 eddy is junk, just not as good as a 750 Holley.
Posted By: 9SecRoadRunner

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 07:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wayne

humm 3 big block posters use them in pairs....not saying an 800 eddy is junk, just not as good as a 750 Holley.

any dyno PROOF to back up that claim?

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 07:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wayne

just the one I sit on. swapped a few 750 eddy;s for 750 DP's and the DP was much better even w/o much tuning.
Posted By: BobR

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 09:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wayne

I'm at a lot of drag strips and I don't see them on anything other than mild street/strip combos.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 09:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wayne

I'm at a lot of drag strips and I don't see them on anything other than mild street/strip combos.

theres a reason for that, they are street carbs.

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 09:53 PM

Quote:

I'm at a lot of drag strips and I hardly see any Mopars, so they must all be mild street/strip cars.......

Point is; For the original poster, YES , they work great for a relatively mild street/strip car and YES, they are a lot better than the RPM carbs.......whereas a Holley is infinitely tuneable so you can tune around 90% of people's messed up combo's.......An Edelbrock, typically, needs a fairly good amount of vacuum to work good......and the Thunder Series is nice because you can slow down the secondary opening so it won't bog if you do have a motor with fairly low vacuum.......

Wayne
Posted By: Old School

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 10:51 PM

Quote:

The 800 even works great on milder street engines believe it or not--I love them--I only use the Thunder series --the std 750 is a pain and must have some design problem--they can be a nightmare but the 800 Thunder series is fantastic for the $$
Best Holley out there IMO is the 750 HP body by AED in Richmond Va for the $$ one of the best--if you have enough initial timing at idle they are amazing! Customer service is great too.
I use about one a week of these two so ...

aed is all i use too.awesome stuff for the $$$
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 11:04 PM

Gee I have a customer that has a pair of the 800 AVS carbs on a Stage V inline intake and fairly mild hemi that only made 845 on the pump and runs 9.50s at close to 3600 lbs. No gurus, no secret voodoo magic, out of the box and we changed the jets a little. Just junky street carbs though. Alot of the NSS guys run them on the wedges and the hemis due to class rules and they crack off plenty of 9 second passes all the time.
Todd.

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/09/10 11:55 PM

Quote:

Gee I have a customer that has a pair of the 800 AVS carbs on a Stage V inline intake and fairly mild hemi that only made 845 on the pump and runs 9.50s at close to 3600 lbs. No gurus, no secret voodoo magic, out of the box and we changed the jets a little. Just junky street carbs though. Alot of the NSS guys run them on the wedges and the hemis due to class rules and they crack off plenty of 9 second passes all the time.
Todd.

and the FAST cars about to catch them on bias ply street tires
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/10/10 12:28 AM

I have one on my 427" SBF and I'm really happy with it, the only changes from OOTB is I needed to go to a dual line feed and I fattened the mid range up by using the stiffer step-up springs (which takes about 2 minutes) to bring the primary main jets in quicker (which in turn boosts the signal strength to the secondary air door). Tweaking becomes second-nature once you get used to them and I've actually tweaked AVS's to run as quick or quicker than Holleys with better off idle response and better overall drivability.

For high stall converters and especially WOT it's tough to beat a well tuned holley, but to me it's really more about secondary shooter tuning than anything else, jetting and power output can be very close in the hands of a good tuner for comparably sized carbs.

The eddy AVS is very responsive off idle and much more tractible (coming off sharp corners....the reason I ditched the double pumper) in a 500+ horse 2450 pound car that gets driven hard everywhere.

I like them, I always had very good results with the AVS type carbs (including the TQ).

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/10/10 02:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wayne

I'm at alot of dragstrips too, still no DYNO PROOF offered up here, just the normal moparts "EXPERTS" bs
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/10/10 04:29 AM

Wow, thanks folks!

Mike
Posted By: mopar65

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/10/10 04:54 AM

I have never tried the 800 but i had 2 of the 750 edelbrocks on my 65 plymouth that weighed 3500 pounds. with my 11.1 440 and a set of box stock edelbrocks 750 carbs i was running 10.50 @ 128 in the 1/4 and that was with out using the nos i had on it at the time. i will be running the same set up on my Indy EZ headed roller camed 440 in my 73 dart. if anybody has a set of 750 Holley dp i could try. i would be more than willing to do a 1/4 mile shoot out between both set of carbs. Mopar65

Attached picture 5855635-DSCF0093.JPG

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/10/10 11:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wayne

I'm at alot of dragstrips too, still no DYNO PROOF offered up here, just the normal moparts "EXPERTS" bs

hey show us your dyno numbers. the door swings both ways

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/10/10 04:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wayne

I'm not the one saying that Holleys make more power, I didnt say Carters / Eddy's did either, all I ask for was PROOF from all of you saying one way or the other, not opinions, PROOF
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/10/10 04:48 PM

I have not had any personal experience with the Thunder Edelbrock. But I have had a lot with the 440 HP Carter AVS. When the Carter is tuned to the combo it will take an equal amount of tuning with the Holley 750 DP to match the Carters ET. The Holley MPH will be slightly better. This testing was done on a 7.50 in the 1/8 440 at 3700# with 727. If it is a street strip car mileage a drivability will be better with the carter.

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/10/10 05:08 PM

Quote:

....... If it is a street strip car mileage a drivability will be better with the carter.

I don't believe that.......A/F is A/F......and you can make a Holley do anything you want.......

Wayne
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/10/10 05:18 PM

When both the holley and the carter are tuned for the best performance at the track. The carter will get better mileage and be more responsive on the street. Its just a matter of design.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/10/10 05:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wayne

I'm not the one saying that Holleys make more power, I didnt say Carters / Eddy's did either, all I ask for was PROOF from all of you saying one way or the other, not opinions, PROOF

Uh, look at the thread title. He asked for opinions. It sounds like you don't have one either way sooo....

Re: edlebrock 800 cfm thunder series opinions.... - 03/10/10 06:05 PM

Quote:

Todd.

key word in this is PAIR....
© 2024 Moparts Forums