Moparts

Battery relocation wire question

Posted By: fiddlestix

Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 09:15 PM

I am looking on E-bay and found 2 different 1/0 wires for a battery relocation. Which one of these would be better and why? Thanks for the help.

BRAND NEW 25' OF EXCELENE 1/0 WELDING CABLE IN RED VERY HIGH FLEXIBILITY CABLE THAT IS MADE IN THE USA, +105C-50C 600V CONDUCTOR STRANDING IS 19X54/30 = STRANDS OF BARE COPPER. NOMINAL O.D IS 0.55 AND NOMINAL WALL THICKNESS IS 0.08

or

Color: Silver
Competition series
Best series from the best brand for wires
These are the thickest and best wires on the market. These can handle any amplifier.
Patented technology only from Monster allows greater current transfer
Patented construction makes this cable very flexible for ease of installation
Oxygen free
Designed for show car performance
Extreme thickness
Ultra-Pure copper conduction
Magnetic Flex Tube technology (Only from monster)
High current power handling
Protective jacket
25 foot

this is Monster cable usually used for auto amplifiers.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 09:31 PM

Ive heard not to use welding cable.Look at it. The strands are real thin.Most experts will say no.Just get regular battery cable.I wouldnt trust speaker cable.I know guys will chime in and say they run welding cable.I dont I just get 25 feet of battery canle in 1 gauge..Rocky
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 10:13 PM

Quote:

I am looking on E-bay and found 2 different 1/0 wires for a battery relocation. Which one of these would be better and why? Thanks for the help.

BRAND NEW 25' OF EXCELENE 1/0 WELDING CABLE IN RED VERY HIGH FLEXIBILITY CABLE THAT IS MADE IN THE USA, +105C-50C 600V CONDUCTOR STRANDING IS 19X54/30 = STRANDS OF BARE COPPER. NOMINAL O.D IS 0.55 AND NOMINAL WALL THICKNESS IS 0.08

or

Color: Silver
Competition series
Best series from the best brand for wires
These are the thickest and best wires on the market. These can handle any amplifier.
Patented technology only from Monster allows greater current transfer
Patented construction makes this cable very flexible for ease of installation
Oxygen free
Designed for show car performance
Extreme thickness
Ultra-Pure copper conduction
Magnetic Flex Tube technology (Only from monster)
High current power handling
Protective jacket
25 foot

this is Monster cable usually used for auto amplifiers.

Monster cable is really just over priced for the audio guys. Its not speaker wire, its designed to power a large audio amplifier. Welding cable strands are very fine, similar to a DLO cable which is designed for Diesel Locomotive connections. Welding cable would work great in that application. It has a thick flexable jacket, handles very high ampacities, and is easy to get. JUst be very concious of your terminations not to leave exposed copper and use a good crimp connection on the wire, no mechanical stuff
Posted By: Mopar_racer_99

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 10:18 PM

OK, I know people have opinions on this subject, that being said copper wire transfers current on the outside of said strand, meaning a cable with more strands has less impedence than a cable with fewer strands, welding cable has a softer jacket to it to allow a welder to move around, thats all the other cables have a stiffer jacket to take abrasions and abuse, one not being better than the other in a race car enviroment, back to your normal daily opinions. John
Posted By: Rodney

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 10:27 PM

you'll also need a ground cable to terminate close to the starter on the engine block and a ground lug off that for accessories. I see a lot of guys use the body of the car for ground IE ground from battery to the body then pick up grounds off the body. Not the best plan IMO.

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 10:34 PM

Thanks for your oppinions. If I understand correctly more strands are better? I have found welding cable and Monster cable both 1/0 for exacctly the same price $60/25ft. Which would you think is better for this application?
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 10:40 PM

just get the kit from painless. you don't really need 1 guage. #2 will do fine. the kit comes with all the ends you will need.

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 10:42 PM

Correct, more strands, better for our application. I dont think one would be any better than the other. Monster cable used to make a good product, and it may have a pvc jacket of sorts that will createa little better barrier from the elements it you are running it outside the car. The other side of that is the rubber jacket on the welding cable will be thicker. I dont think you will have issues either way, but I personally would pick welding cable, but Im an electrician so my opinion my be swayed because of that.

Also check with your local electrical supply house... ie CED or Crescent or Wesco and ask them to quote you welding cable, or DLO cable.
Posted By: Mopar_racer_99

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 10:50 PM

Nothing against painless wiring , but most of kits are only 15ft. like Josh said check your local electrical supply houses, they also have the correct stlye lugs to use also. and Iagree with Rodney, we also run same size neg cable back, chassis is not the best ground. John
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 10:52 PM

I've had my Welding Cable....I mean Battery Cable on my car for over 20 years.
Never an issue and personally I like it.
Posted By: wldtm

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 10:58 PM

Call terminal supply company. I just bought 25 ft roll of 0/1 and it was about 65$, and they tossed in 4 ft of 0/1 ground for free. The top post battery ends are about 5$ each.

You get what you pay for. Originally my dad bought a Taylor kit. The brackets were good, but the insulation was cheap. It did not with stand the heat when soldering the ends on. The terminal supply wire did a great job with standing the heat (and its actually for automotive use).

Justin

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 11:01 PM

Just my opinion, but a good compression crimped connection is better than a soldered one in high ampacity situations like this

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 11:09 PM

Do most people run their ground all the way to the engine block or just the frame? Also, I recall seeing a post showing a wiring diagram for mounting the solenoid and shutoff switch in the trunk. Does anyone know where that link is? Thanks

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 11:17 PM

Not sure of your ignition system, but most of them prefer ground going back to the battery and not the frame, so if you have to run ground to the front of the car anway, you might as well just run a large one and hit a distribution block and take good grounds to all your equipment
Posted By: wldtm

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/25/10 11:39 PM

Quote:

Just my opinion, but a good compression crimped connection is better than a soldered one in high ampacity situations like this

I would have preferred them crimp the connection, because i think they can make it look cleaner. I agree a properly crimped connection is as good as a well done soldering job.

On mine, the power feed runs directly to the bat stud of the starter. The ground goes to the frame (through the on/off kill switch). At the engine there is a ground from the head to the frame. I will also have one a body to chassis ground, (mainly for lighting circuits).

To make it cleaner they also sell 3/4" id adhesive lined heat shrink in red for positive post. Black for negative. Makes it look really nice.

THe trick I found on melting the solder without char broiling the insulation is heat only on the terminal end, and use the heat to pull the solder in.

Justin

www.terminalsupplyco.com
Posted By: The Shocker

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/26/10 12:36 AM

Welder lead for the positive on mine from the master cuttoff to the starter,along with ground cable from battery to chassis and then from the chassis to the block up front.Using heavy copper wire from alt all the way to the battery in the trunk .No issues and starts and charges every time ...
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/26/10 12:43 AM

Here's that link you wanted ...

http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/tm-1.shtml
Posted By: jcc

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/26/10 12:51 AM

Quote:

OK, I know people have opinions on this subject, that being said copper wire transfers current on the outside of said strand, meaning a cable with more strands has less impedence than a cable with fewer strands, welding cable has a softer jacket to it to allow a welder to move around, thats all the other cables have a stiffer jacket to take abrasions and abuse, one not being better than the other in a race car enviroment, back to your normal daily opinions. John

Not exactly, when you mentioned "impedance", you are referring to AC current, cars are DC. AC does like the surface of a conductor, hence the need for multi strands in AC situations, however I would use the welding cable for a number of other reasons already mentioned, and leave the monster cable for the smug audio guys and the I was going to say ricers, but why pick on them?.

When I crimp heavy cable at work, I use a greasy specificly design wire compound that helps prevent corrosion and oxidation, then i tape or heat shrink that to keep out moisture, your number one long term problem in keeping a connection solid.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 02/26/10 12:54 AM

Might want to check out a marine supply for the cable. If your running the cable out side of the car. Welding cable will draw moisture, marine cable will not. I run both cables from the battery switch at the back to the engine, also grounding at the back frame.

Posted By: BigSugar

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 03/23/10 04:19 AM

Might want to check out a marine supply for the cable. If your running the cable out side of the car. Welding cable will draw moisture, marine cable will not. I run both cables from the battery switch at the back to the engine, also grounding at the back frame.

Did You run a 1/0 Ground back too the battery and ground the 1/0 to the rear frame as well ?
Could you not use a smaller gauge Ground at the rear frame if your running a full ground battery too block anyway ?

Ron
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 03/23/10 04:49 AM

Quote:

You sir, are exactly correct!
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 03/23/10 06:25 PM

Quote:

Do most people run their ground all the way to the engine block or just the frame? Also, I recall seeing a post showing a wiring diagram for mounting the solenoid and shutoff switch in the trunk. Does anyone know where that link is? Thanks

I weld a lug to the frame rail in the trunk for the battery ground. I also have 2 engine to body grounds. Been doing it that way since Nixon was pres...

please no politics
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Battery relocation wire question - 03/23/10 06:48 PM

Now if you weren't already confused.......

Electric currents in copper wires are a flow of electrons, but these electrons are not supplied by batteries. Generators do not 'generate' them. Instead the electrons come from the wire. In copper wire, copper atoms supply the flowing electrons. The electrons in a circuit were already there before the battery was connected. They were even there before the copper was mined and made into wires! Batteries and generators do not create these electrons, they merely pump them, and the electrons act like a pre-existing fluid which is always found within all wires. In order to understand electric circuits, we must imagine that all the wires are pre-filled with a sort of "liquid electricity."

To clarify this, get rid of the battery. Instead, use a hand-cranked generator as your power supply. Ask yourself exactly where the flowing "electricity" comes from when a generator powers a light bulb. A hand-cranked generator contains a coil and some magnets. When cranked, it takes electrons in from one terminal and simultaneously spits them out the other terminal. At the same time, the generator pushes electrons through the rotating coil of wire inside itself. It also pushes them through the rest of the circuit. So where did these electrons come from? Unlike the situation with a battery-powered circuit, all we have here is wires. Inside the generator is just more wires. Where is the source of this flowing "electricity?"

When we include the generator in the circuit, we find that the circuit is a continuous closed loop, and we can find no single place where the "electricity" originates. A generator is like a closed-loop pump, but it does not supply the substance being pumped. Batteries are like this as well. The liquid between the battery plates is an electrolyte, and electrolytes are conductors. Some batteries contain acid, others are alkaline batteries, and still others use conductive salt water. Flowing charges go through the battery, and no charges build up inside.

But weren't we all taught during grade-school that "batteries and generators create Current Electricity"? This phrase forms a serious conceptual stumbling block (at least it did for me!) To fix it, get rid of the bogus idea called "Current Electricity". Instead change the statement to read like this:

"Batteries and generators cause electric charge to flow."
To complete the picture, add this: all conductors are full of movable charge. That's what a conductor is, it's a material which contains movable charge.

A battery or generator is like your heart: it moves blood, but it does not create blood. When a generator stops, or when the metal circuit is opened, all the electrons stop where they are, and the wires remain filled with electric charges. But this isn't unexpected, because the wires were full of vast quantities of charge in the first place.
© 2024 Moparts Forums