Moparts

Turbo Big Block Header Pics

Posted By: moparmattkos

Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 03:31 AM

I am lookin for ideas for fabbing up my big block turbo headers. Post your pics please!!!!!
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 12:09 PM

Attached picture 5829184-6-1-09-02.JPG
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 01:45 PM

Heres mine...

Attached picture 5829296-dusterheader.jpg

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 01:47 PM

another

Attached picture 5829300-shrunkturbo.jpg

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 01:49 PM

one more

Attached picture 5829303-exhasutfinished.jpg
Posted By: bigsbigelow

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 02:18 PM

Josh, I never noticed before but are you not concerned about that cross over tube melting plug wires or even the distributor cap?

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 06:13 PM

there is a little more room then what appears in the pictures, but not a lot. I would say I have 3" or so from the cap to the tube. We are actually looking at making a heat shield for that crossover tube, just incase though
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 06:34 PM

Looks nice how is the exhaust routed for the turbo? Will it exit out normally under the car?

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 06:49 PM

Heres a pic of the exhaust

Attached picture 5829729-exhaust.jpg

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 08:07 PM

Well that isn’t going to work for a street car.
Posted By: blowndart

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 08:45 PM

Quote:

there is a little more room then what appears in the pictures, but not a lot. I would say I have 3" or so from the cap to the tube. We are actually looking at making a heat shield for that crossover tube, just in case though

Ever though about just using header wrap? My down pipe is about 1/2" away from my cap and the wrap works well. Really keeps the heat down.

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 10:04 PM

Quote:

Do you mean because it looks like it hangs low?
Posted By: dodge turbo

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 10:06 PM

yeah why wouldnt that work for a street car???

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 10:09 PM

It is not much lower than the k-member, and a good amount higher than the oilpan

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 10:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Do you mean because it looks like it hangs low?

Quote:

yeah why wouldnt that work for a street car???

I need the exhaust to go to the rear bumper. 40% of the time I have my little girl with me. The fumes are not a biggy to me, but I don't want my 4 year old sniffing it.

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/25/10 10:34 PM

ethanol baby....
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/25/10 10:54 PM

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 12:13 AM

With what I read the size, length, tuning of the exhaust is not as important before the turbo, as the restriction is in the turbo itself and the exhaust after it.

These are plenty 700+ hp turbo motors out there with just logs.

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/26/10 12:49 AM

Posted By: Defbob

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 01:28 AM

And my logs are probably the most butch looking out there
Posted By: TrxR

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 03:54 AM

Ive been trying to find a set of manifolds that would work backwards. Will the big block manifolds bolt on backwards?

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 04:05 AM

yes they will, they may want just a little grinding around the flange area, but they do bolt up backwards

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 04:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am lookin for ideas for fabbing up my big block turbo headers. Post your pics please!!!!!

all out race or ?? Not a big fan here of fancy expensive turbo headers.I can speak first hand of have used a set of Sandersen Block hugger 1 7/8" street headers at a cost of 199.00 to feed a car that went 7.21 and 192 mph.
My twin tubo hemi made 2047 hp and 1975 lb torque using
homemade logs with zero consideration of tuning length or any theorectical engineering advantage. when you can make that much HP without the cost of fancy ones leaving that money for other items I think you are ahead of the game.

I would make something like a flange weld on a factory manifold or a log.anything that simpifies installation and cuts cost

Well it will be street legal But it will be built to race. It will be a 512 low deck big block with indy heads and a 106mm precision turbo blowin through a dominator

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 04:18 AM

get ready to need a big effing hood matt. I had to go to a 6" cowl and it only clears the hat by 3/8 inch

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 04:53 AM

Oh yeah....I forgot its goin in a 87 mustang coupe. Also Josh i have the big hood covered. Here is a pic from Monster Mopar last year.

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 04:56 AM

Damn it matt!!!!!!

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 05:02 AM

Quote:

Damn it matt!!!!!!

Posted By: headhunter

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 11:35 AM

dont forget if your going to run a solid or solid roller to make it where you can get the valve cover off easily

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 12:36 PM

Quote:

dont forget if your going to run a solid or solid roller to make it where you can get the valve cover off easily

damn it headhunter!!!!

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 10:20 PM

lol you to

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 10:37 PM

Yea, im not sure that I will beable to get mine of with out removing the header. I will say that in my fathers car, with the same valve train, we rarely have adjustments to make to the rockers when we check them, i hope the same plays to me as well. At first it will be a son of a rich, but we will see. He also spins his to about 7600 and im gonna be around 6600 so hopefully that helps some

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 10:49 PM

im now looking into a hdy or hyd roller because of it lol
Posted By: Dos Snails

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/26/10 11:56 PM

While these are not BB Mopar headers, They are a sweet turbo header though. I'll use these for inspiration

Attached picture 5832236-nrett427-1.jpg
Posted By: dodge turbo

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/27/10 01:34 AM

Quote:

While these are not BB Mopar headers, They are a sweet turbo header though. I'll use these for inspiration

a friend of mine has those nelson racing headers on his nova and they are reallllly nice and cost some major$$$$$$ too

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/27/10 02:51 AM

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/27/10 03:58 AM

I'm taking the Fred approach , I'm working on making a set to look like those but made out of 1-1/2" weld el's. I just love the flowing look of these headers..

Attached picture 5832725-nreparts-37.jpg

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/27/10 05:00 AM

Man those are sweet But im gonna have to take Freds advice cause he is DA MAN!!!!

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/27/10 05:32 AM

Posted By: nitrousr

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/27/10 06:21 AM

Passenger side header.

Posted By: nitrousr

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/27/10 06:23 AM

Drivers.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/27/10 12:34 PM

what thickness and quality metal are the logs and long tube pipes made of?
how do thay holdup to the weight of the turbo?

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/27/10 02:02 PM

My whole exhaust is made from 16 gauge 304 stainless. Its not recommended to have the exhaust support the weight of the turbo. My turbo is supported from the motor plate and front radiator support with 1/2 chrome-moly tube

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/27/10 03:46 PM

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/27/10 04:05 PM

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/27/10 10:46 PM

What a hunk of crap that is! looks like the welder threw up all over some pipes.. You can make weld el's look good if you plan it out well & can weld.

Attached picture 5834072-7ca672b6.jpg
Posted By: feets

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/28/10 01:51 AM

Quote:

Ive been trying to find a set of manifolds that would work backwards. Will the big block manifolds bolt on backwards?

Yes, they will bolt on backwards.
No, they will not clear your motor mounts.
C-body driver's side manifolds look like they'll fit but the alternator will be in the way.

Yes, they will bolt on upside down.
No you won't be able to install the spark plugs.

The best way to use stock manifolds is to add an outlet on the top.

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/28/10 05:44 AM

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/28/10 08:07 AM

or you could just build a set of headers that dont look like hammered dog [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] out of regular header material, and be fine...
Posted By: voigtspeed

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/28/10 08:16 AM

Alot of ways that work money and fabrication skills play a big part .large long tubes will heat up your engine compartment better but look more intimidating also may help delay the hit of big boost to help hook your car.
4 cylinder engines can benifit from tuned headers designed to keep the pulses even to spool big turbos.
8 cylinders dont have this problem and a simple log manifold keeps the velocity and the heat high to spool you up faster it does not take alot of boost to make you happy and get you hooked.
build what your wallet can aford and move up from there.
sise the turbo right and get a good wastegate and you will be in love also not a bad idea to learn the tuning lesons on a low buck engine first.

You can simply weld a flange on top of one of your manifolds run a crossover from original outlets with some type of slip joint or flex joint to deal with heat expansion.
Also turbo needs a oil supply and a large oil drainback to the pan i have made a plate and used the fuel pump mounting pad for a quick down and dirty path...
add turbo and wastegate and go......

Heres some fun cobbling from years ago.

Attached picture 5835055-FH000018.jpg

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/28/10 02:20 PM

What about exhaust flanges on the head? Cut 'em or leave 'em as one piece?
Mine are 1/2" hot rolled steel and won't hold gaskets. The old headers used normal header flanges. I cut those and they wouldn't seal either.
Header leaks are a way of life for me.

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/28/10 02:59 PM

Good question, With the time spent into your car I would have never thought that it would be a problem for you. Every gasket you have tried has failed? What about a Cometic for the header flange. Are they milled flat to the flange or do they have a raised ring around the port? The only thing I've heard about the 1/2" flanges is the if all the bolt holes are tight around the studs it will shear off a few from expansion. My W9's are one piece & I'm not sure about cutting them, but I hope they will seal well with a machined fit.
Posted By: go green

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 02/28/10 04:30 PM

I have been making mine one piece and have had no problems. I also don't even use headers gaskets just the red high heat RTV exhaust sealer. When it comes time to take the headers off, I can take all the bolts out and they are still stuck there . ( just takes a little wiggle and they snap off.

Flange material for carbon steel I always use COLD ROLL material it is allot stronger than hot roll formed steel because it is work hardened during the forming process. You can tell the difference between hot roll material and cold roll material quit easily .
Hot roll stock has mill scale ( that blue flaky skin ) and cold roll does not.

One piece hot roll flanges come completely flat , but once you weld your tube on the back side, it will put around a 1/8 overall back bend to the flange surface. This helps out considerably on sealing the big dodge two center exhaust ports.

Attached picture 5835591-finishedheaders003.JPG

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/01/10 01:10 AM

I was incorrect. They are cold rolled steel.
I did not do a raised bead around the ports. The flanges were flat when I installed them. All of the bolt holes are over sized to prevent the studs and bolts from breaking. I do have studs wherever possible. It makes things MUCH easier to assemble. An early B engine compartment is pretty tight, especially with the later B K-frame.

I have tried a variety of normal exhaust gaskets as well as solid copper. The Cometics are next on my list.

It seems that exhaust leaks are a way of life for me.

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/01/10 01:11 AM

Im not going to be using motor mounts. Im going to use a plate and the alternator is going to be moved anyways. So which manifolds would be the best to look at? The C body stuff or what? If that dont work I think some weld els might be looked at.

Thanks

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/01/10 01:29 AM

A driver's side C body manifold will fit nicely on the passenger side of the engine. The exhaust outlet will be facing a bit down and towards the outside.

I don't know a good one to use for the driver's side. All of those I've ever seen had somewhat long outlets that face almost straight down. They would need to be cut off and welded into something more favorable.
Welding cast iron is a pain so I'd either find someone with experience or go to something else.

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/01/10 04:56 AM

What do you guys think about starting with the hooker headers flange kit?

2" primary. I think they are $175 at Summit.

To me it is a little expensive for what it is. But what are some of the other alternatives?

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/01/10 01:23 PM

I am really leanin towards going with these and bolting them on backwards

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-78070/

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/01/10 05:22 PM

Well I don't think they will clear the steering box.

Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/01/10 09:21 PM

I guarantee they won't

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/01/10 10:13 PM

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/01/10 11:25 PM

They say it is 3/8 but I'm not sure about the primary tube thickness, as for separating the flange, I think I could cut it after building the header?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-11654HKR/
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/02/10 02:27 AM

Things I learned:
never use any gaskets
logs make power, but wont last
never use any gaskets
use thick flanges, machine them straight when done
never use any gaskets
use heavy wall stainless
never use any gaskets
add as many fastening points as possible
never use any gaskets
use a backing gas when welding tubes
never use any gaskets
Decide if you want to do it once and spend big cash, or repair leaks and cracks every two weeks.
never use any gaskets

Attached picture 5839624-e-mailsizedpics018.jpg

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/02/10 02:28 AM

another

Attached picture 5839629-e-mailsizedpics017.jpg

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/02/10 02:30 AM

one more

Attached picture 5839637-e-mailsizedpics021.jpg

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/02/10 03:21 AM

TRENDZ: what material did you use? I m seriously thinking about a set of cast manifolds as mine is going into a truck with a plate so they might work just not sure how well they would hold up and stay sealed.

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/02/10 04:08 AM

I made those out of 321 stainless.
If you end up using manifolds, open up the hole diameter on the end ports for the bolts(front and rear). Also use much longer bolts or studs. Add at least an inch longer fasteners, and make spacers to make up the differance in length. This allows for some stretch in the bolt,and prevents breakage. Manifolds or logs have to float on the head surface. The shape of them wont allow for thermal expansion without movement. This is another reason not to use gaskets... You'll just scrub the gaskets away, and warp the manifold/log.I also strongly suggest using grade 5 bolts or lower, and never use stainless bolts with stainless nuts. Tighten the center bolts as you normally would, and just snug up the bolts on the outer ports.
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/02/10 05:00 AM

I've had no problems using copper gaskets yet....
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/02/10 06:32 AM

Ours are mild steel,made out of a regular Hedman header kit. Except the flanges, they are self made out of 1/2" flat and common flange, milled flat after welding. No Gaskets, just RTV, no problems whatsoever. My plan was to keep the primaries smallish and short and since the turbos have devided flange it required some routing to keep the pulses as far of each other as possible. After ready they were ceramic coated, and they are supported to teh frame from the flanges. Don't have very good pics, but here is a couple:

Posted By: furious70

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/03/10 04:57 PM

These OEM manifolds fit upside down in the car and allow spark plugs

The 62-65 B body logs that exit out the complete rear also can fit depending on what car and if you have manual steering. They don't fit in my Fury but they do fit in my 69 Coronet.

Attached picture 5842813-rvincar1sm.JPG

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/03/10 04:59 PM

In a cbody with ps and a/c there's still issues however....

Attached picture 5842816-rvincar2sm.JPG

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/03/10 07:47 PM

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/03/10 08:19 PM

Furious, are those truck manifolds? I'd sure hate to hang a turbo off one of them and hope the two bolt flange holds it together.

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/03/10 09:36 PM

My best guess is they came on 1 side of van chassis RV's. Not sure how/if they will work yet and how the turbos will mount. There is technically just enough room for them to sit up there, but even with milling the flange down and making an adapter, it's probably going to bump or cook the hood.

Attached picture 5843282-mhexh.JPG

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/03/10 10:20 PM

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/03/10 10:34 PM

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/03/10 10:37 PM

I thought the general agreement on those is that they curl in too much when upside down and put the turbo into the valve cover? I suppose it depends on how big of a unit, if it has an internal WG, etc.

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/04/10 12:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

logs make power, but wont last

what happened to them ? your experience with their lifespan was how short ? what material was used ? since all we are using is logs maybe I can benefit from that info.

I threw them in the garbage after ruining the second turbo(I'll explain in a minuite, my fault).My experience with lifespan can be divided in two... How long I had them and used them, and how long I could use them without repairing them. On the first, I would say around 8-10 years. On the second, as they aged, failure went up exponentially. It got to the point that after a few hard runs they would crack. I have to admit that I use retarded timing/high fueling for launch/boost control, which takes its toll. I got so tired of fixing cracks that I stopped taking them off to fix them. This procedure is what lead to turbo failure. Weld slag hitting your turbine wheel isn't healthy for your turbo. Guys, I strongly suggest using a purging gas on the inside of the tubes to stop any slag/sugaring from happening.
My logs started out with 3/4" steel plates for flanges, and steel scd 40 weld els from a place in town called R&B Wagner. Over time the tubing started shrinking, but the flanges didn't. This caused broken studs, warped flanges, blown gaskets, cracked cylinder heads... I would machine the flanges flat, and they would just bow again(easier and easier every time, getting thinner). I've had this discussion before, and I'm convinced that with some slip fit expansion joints placed in the right areas, they would have been much less troublesome. I spent big money on building my stainless headers, and gained no performance, but I never had to touch the exhaust for repairs after going that route, and would gladly spend the money again to do it on the next car.
This is the only picture I could find of my old logs. It's a copy of a copy, so its pretty rough.

Attached picture 5843611-OLDLOG.JPG

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/04/10 02:45 AM

If you could get a set of cast iron manifolds that would fit right and work how well do you think they would hold up? Also would you have them milled to use a v band for the piping to the turbo? DO think they would stay sealed with RTV?

Thanks
Posted By: 8valves

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/04/10 04:31 AM

It's always been my findings that headers, whether tubular or log style, generally only break due to poor fabrication or welding process.

If you use stainless steel weld-els (schedule 10 is PLENTY) such as the ones posted from grainger, or www.acestainless.com, you can cobble something together without having it break quite easily.

And a tubular header will for certain have more power potential than a log manifold on a turbo engine in the end, regardless of cylinder count.

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/04/10 06:12 AM

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/04/10 11:35 AM

Well, in that perspective, O.K. I re-read my post and never actually gave a failure curve. Around here, we only get seasonal use. In the first year, they were repaired twice. repair cycles only went up from there.
I agree that failure is from fabricating/design. Thats why I stated that a few slip joints would probably saved or prolonged their use. With that said, heat cycles DO harden and shrink the steel. If that isn't taken into account in the design process, they will fail no matter who welds them.
Also... I agree with Fred. Headers might make more power on an engine that is maxed, but in my case I never even got close to that point.
Posted By: Gumbydammit

Re: Turbo Big Block Header Pics - 03/15/10 11:15 PM

I got to wonder why no one runs the turbos and / or headers out to the fenderwells? you could put the turbo behind the front tire and feed the hot side with a fenderwell or even a shorty style header.

Here is an example although it is not a Mopar. You could run the cold side piping in many different ways and keep the underhood area uncluttered.

Just a thought. www.dmcracing.com has a few all out race cars done this way. i don't see why this wouldn't work on the street with smaller turbos and some heat sheilds.
© 2024 Moparts Forums