Moparts

sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff

Posted By: mopar dave

sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 12:16 PM

i will be sealing up the oil pan soon and would like to try the right stuff without a gasket. do i need to use the end seals? does the sealant have to set up a bit before i torque the pan bolts? thanks
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 12:32 PM

Quote:

i will be sealing up the oil pan soon and would like to try the right stuff without a gasket. do i need to use the end seals? does the sealant have to set up a bit before i torque the pan bolts? thanks

I've used Right Stuff on my pan before... you will
play HELL getting the pan off next time, I almost
destroyed my custom pan getting it off.... I used
the Right Stuff for the ends and rails.... I just
tightened it up so it was all flat then finished
tightening it up the next morning(about 2 turns)

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 12:47 PM

would ultra grey be a better choice of sealant? so just snug the bolts on fresh sealant and torque them next morning?

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 12:50 PM

Quote:

would ultra grey be a better choice of sealant? so just snug the bolts on fresh sealant and torque them next morning?

Now days I use the Mopar black RTV and tighten it so
its flat then torque the next morning.... I think the
ultra gray is like the Mopar RTV

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 12:57 PM

where do you buy the mopar rtv?

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 01:04 PM

Quote:

where do you buy the mopar rtv?

Dealer... but I'm sure there is other stuff thats the
same.... I just happen to like it and used it for
many years at work

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 01:16 PM

ok, i might just try the ultra grey instead of the right stuff. dont want to ruin my new pan next time it comes off.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 01:24 PM

big mistake just using silicone. wait till you try to get the pan off. i think you are better off
cleaning the oil pan rail real good with brakeKleen use the right Stuff on the pan rail and lay your oil pan gasket on top of the right stuff. press and flaten and let sit overnight.
then clean block rail and put on the oil pan.
you wont be sorry doing it this way.
all silicone or the right stuff is a

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 01:46 PM

i dont like the way the front seal and gaskets are pieced together. if i could get a one piece pan gasket for an LA 360 block that would be the answer to sealing this up. i'v always had pan or rear seal leaks and i want to get this right this time.

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 01:49 PM

Quote:

i dont like the way the front seal and gaskets are pieced together. if i could get a one piece pan gasket for an LA 360 block that would be the answer to sealing this up. i'v always had pan or rear seal leaks and i want to get this right this time.

Doesnt Mopar still make the 1 piece re-useable pan
gasket for the 360(silicone over a metal frame) I
dont have my books with me to look it up

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 01:56 PM

last i heard they had one for a magnum, but not an LA.
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 02:49 PM

Loctite 515

http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg/hen...tUID=0000000HWL
Posted By: plumridiculous

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 03:01 PM

The last gasket kit I bought had a one piece in it. my 360 is a '92 non magnum. I got it from northern auto parts web store.
George..
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 03:09 PM

I `ve always seemed to have an issue with rear main seals and pan gaskets leaking on my Crate 360 short block. Last week I went to my local Dodge dealer and bought a new rear main seal and one piece pan gasket and installed it with Right stuff. I`m putting the trans in this weekend so I can start it and check for leaks. We`ve always used Fel Pro gaskets with the pan rail and end gaskets being seperate, I like the Mopar one piece setup we`ll see how it holds up.

Attached File
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 03:29 PM

use ultra black RTV (or something along those lines) in the caulk gun tube. toss the end seals in the garbage can also. i havent' used gaskets on oil pans and timing covers for years. and i agree with the above posts, don't use the right stuff its like cement in a can
Posted By: cl440

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 03:38 PM

Quote:

We have used Ultra Black abd Ultra Grey. Both worked great! Haven't used an oil pan, timing chain cover or water pump gasket in years!

Attached picture 5818598-7434_1126379884042_1363524361_298887_744769_n.jpg
Posted By: moparacer

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 03:44 PM

Quote:

big mistake just using silicone.

Especially if you use too much and it begins to break loose and plug up the pickup.

I used silicone last year between my windage tray and pan and tried to be careful not to overdo it and still had some sticking in the pickup when I tore it apart at the end of the year.

This year I am trying the fel pro rubber coated gaskets and glued them on with copper coat prior to installing them.
Posted By: wyoming

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 03:48 PM

I've had good luck with the Right Stuff on the oil pan, doesn't come off easy but it's not that hard to get it off, just drive in a thin scrapper and slice the pan off? Be tough thou if you were dropping the pan in the car.
Posted By: torkrules

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/20/10 04:22 PM

Quote:

I've had good luck with the Right Stuff on the oil pan, doesn't come off easy but it's not that hard to get it off, just drive in a thin scrapper and slice the pan off? Be tough thou if you were dropping the pan in the car.

Right Stuff works great, but you'll need dynamite and hand granades to get the pan off. This time around I'm going to use Hylomar blue on everything except the intake end rails. Hylomar doesn't harden but it does make a nice self healing seal.

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/21/10 01:08 AM

i searched northern auto web site for the one piece gasket and found nothing. i'll have to call them monday.
Posted By: ETASPEN

Re: sealing up a oil pan with the right stuff - 02/21/10 03:26 AM

All I've found is magnum 1 pc. and "Right Stuff" for the front fill in. Someone on this site has a mod for front part of oil pan to correctly seal w/mag 1 pc gasket. A couple of little metal plates welded to pan, I think.
© 2024 Moparts Forums