Post deleted by Defbob

Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/18/10 04:34 PM

Posted By: bigsbigelow

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 04:37 PM

So you lost a round because of no fuel?
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 04:41 PM

Neither a bird, nor a fog light lens will survive an impact at 130 mph!
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 04:52 PM

When making chili, it's bad to realize after you take a leak, you forgot to wear rubber gloves when you cut up the habanero peppers.....
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 04:57 PM

If you allow your buddy with an open trailer to keep a few things in your enclosed trailer:

NEVER mistake his fuel jug of gasoline with your fuel jug of alcohol!

Don't ask me how I know.........
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 05:15 PM

While doing a tune-up. Don't assume just because someone installed a dist cap that they also put a the rotor on.
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 05:30 PM

i had some 69rr fiberglass hoods molded and made back in the day when you couldn't hardly get any. i learned it's a good idea to put the pins on BEFORE the run, not after.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 05:32 PM

NEVER dump the laundry when you are #2 in the lanes

OH and ALWAYS leave your jacket in the car

Rickster
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 05:36 PM

Check the brake heims, fluid, and functions alot, even on a brand new car!
Posted By: Edge

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 05:40 PM

Always remember to disconnect battery charger before heading to staging lanes, and good battery charger ends have quite a good grip
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 05:56 PM

If your car doesnt shift dont cuss the transmission just yet....probably didnt fill the air shifter bottle......
Posted By: supercomp

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 06:07 PM

Never confuse someone who knows everything with the facts.
Posted By: sturmenater

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 06:13 PM

when drag race make sure you dont leave a loose rag from checking the oil under the hood especialy when runing no air filter.
It will make make your butt hole pucker for a few seconds when you cant slow down after the 1/4 mile because its wraped in the butterfly holding it wide open.
Dont ask me how I know
Posted By: MFR426

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 06:13 PM

Oil down left us all pulling up to staging lanes and everything stopped so we all turned off our cars and shot the breeze. I just happened to walk back by the car after a lengthy time and heard a dull buzz that didn't sound right. Yes, I had left the fuel pump on and ran the battery down. Luckily we still had time to charge it back up in the lanes before the clean up was done, it was a bad one!

MFR426
Posted By: Rodney

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 06:14 PM

don't trust the guy who drank beer the night before to be in charge of the battery charger on your race car.
it's a long drive from Madras to Boise ID to pull {roll} into the staging lanes during eliminations with a dead battery.

don't put generator fuel in the race car
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 06:37 PM

When you tell a group of guys coming over to help with a 4 speed project, that you are making your world-famous chicken soup, don't forget to add the chicken back into the soup !! Don't ask me how I know..
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 06:50 PM

When jetting the carb, it's good practice to catch the fuel that comes out in a little can and pour it back into the tank.

However, it's bad practice to forget to put the gas cap back on, especially on a rear fill '69 B body.

For some reason, track personell tend to get a little upset when you launch the car and soak their shoes in gasoline....go figure.

DAMHIK

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 06:57 PM

Always pump the brakes a few times after compressing the pistons in the calipers to put in new pads. The neighbors fence is closer than it looks!
Posted By: 23T Hemmee

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 09:30 PM

Never assume just because you're running a dry sump and have plenty of pressure that your oil pan hasn't split and is filling your diaper to capacity and then spilling on to the previously dry track.....
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 09:43 PM

Never forget to put the car back in gear before starting a 7000 rpm burnout, it gets the track personel kind of excited.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 09:45 PM

Never lean over a carb on a running car to check and see if the accelerator pump is working when your neighbor installed the plug wires - and he has dyslexia!! Don't ask me how I know.
Posted By: V10nacuda

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 09:45 PM

After using the trailer jack to tilt the trailer front up enought to load a low car. DOn't forget to retract it COMPLETLY
& then wonder why a friend going by you is pointing like a madman at the rear of the empty trailer.

Cause next time you use the trailer it wont go as high because the jack is a few inches shorter.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 09:51 PM

Make sure your 5-speed manual tow vehicle is in gear before attempting to load your car on the open trailer after the race.
Posted By: dc426

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 10:07 PM

Shotguns conduct electricity when touching an electric fence........don't ask me how I know

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/18/10 10:11 PM

Posted By: galen

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 10:11 PM

If your paralyzed from the waste down don't start the race car which will start in gear until after you installed the hand controls.

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/18/10 10:12 PM

Posted By: rowin4

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 10:20 PM

Quote:

Always remember to disconnect battery charger before heading to staging lanes, and good battery charger ends have quite a good grip

I was wondering why every one was waving to stop.

Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 10:50 PM

When you're staging your bike and get waved off for problems downtrack, make sure to put it back in gear when you get waved back in. That way you don't look so ignorant when you leave at 10,000 RPM in neutral.
Posted By: DMax One

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 11:06 PM

When you have a nitrous explosion in the intake on the launch, don't continue to drive on down the track scattering little pieces of a plastic airhat all the way down the track. "because it was still running"

Secondly, don't do it twice in the same weekend.

DAMHIK
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 11:26 PM

If you take a funnel and a long hose and put them together to use to fill a 833 from the engine compartment don't dump a half gallon of gear lube down the funnel before checking to see if the hose is still in the trans.......
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/18/10 11:33 PM

When you try to stage the car with the REAR tires, it helps to have a red helment. Then it kinda maches your face.

What I don't understand is how it seems like there are 300 people pointing and donkey laffing, but only sold 30 tickets!!??

Attached picture 5815178-drags5-30023w.jpg
Posted By: wheelsup68dart

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:05 AM

If using an old bath towel tie strapped under the trans to catch a small trans leak to get by one weekend, Don't forget to remove it after it is completely oil soaked, cause when you change the starter thinking you can do it while charging the battery and not arch the wire you may get a firey result, furthermore do not park next to a junior dragster that is warming up its engine when trying to holler to get someones attention to get a fire extinguisher. DAMHIK
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:08 AM

If your a box racer dont forget to change your opponents dial in before the next round....

Dont ask me how I know.....2 or 3 times at least....
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:10 AM

#1. If you grab a "spare" carb off the shelf to install on an engine,,make sure you didn't take the floats out of it for a buddy to use till his new ones come in the mail.
#2 If you have an engine 'full of fuel' and you remove the spark plugs to crank the engine over to keep from hydraulicing and bending a rod, make sure you have the spark plug wires away from the plug holes or the ignition off.
#3 Always have a fire extenguisher handy for any unexpected fires.
Posted By: drbill

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:15 AM

Where do you want me to start, cuts, burns or general stupid stuff

Never grab a brake drum by the center hole after you just used a torch to heat it up to be able to remove it from the axle.

Never use chlorinated brake clean to clean the throttle body on a running Mercedes Benz.

Never grab the fan shroud to stop your car from rolling into the fence because you forgot to set the parking brake while adjusting the idle mixture screws on the carb.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:22 AM

When you use a shop rag in your intake plenum to keep debris from getting in don't forget to remove it before hastily installing your carb in a rush to get to the track.

Always test fire the car after you install the carb to make sure things are ok. If it sounds a little lame give it a few revs to clean it out It may be loaded up

"Gee Dad smell's like something's burning"
Posted By: smalltyredart67

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:28 AM

never do a dry hop on nitrous with 1400# of bottle pressure

smalltyredart
jeff r
Posted By: fasteddie

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:33 AM

ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, put the oil filter on before priming the oil pump of a new motor.

Funny thing is I've forgotten to do this twice, about 20 years apart.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:49 AM

Don't continue driving your freshly built motor despite not knowing exactly where your coolant was going--thinking "it's ok, I'll just top it off every time I go for a ride". it is NOT "out of sight, out of mind"
Posted By: challenger73400

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:49 AM

When tweeking your carb on a very hot day, sweat pouring off your bare arms, never lean/brace yourself on a good solid ground with one hand and reach through spark plug wires with the other. MSD makes a good product!
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:55 AM

When using a Line-Loc to launch a 4 speed car, always let go of the button before the front tires come down.
Posted By: Frito

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 01:06 AM

Remember to make sure your winch cable is still attached to the k member before giving your out of gear car a little shove to get it started back out of the trailer on a down hill grade.
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 01:07 AM

Always check the lug nuts on your own trailer, especially if you've just reminded your friends to do the same....
Car always runs better with the jets installed in the carb.
Posted By: W8n2DustU

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 01:15 AM

Don't get your motor fuel pressure regulator mixed up with your Nitrous fuel pressure regulator. The motor is not happy when the pressures are crossed! I heard of this happening to someone.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 01:21 AM

Quote:

When tweeking your carb on a very hot day, sweat pouring off your bare arms, never lean/brace yourself on a good solid ground with one hand and reach through spark plug wires with the other. MSD makes a good product!

When setting your timing w/an msd and drilled cap remember your knee pads cos knees slammin into the grill hurts when all of those volts rip through your body.
Posted By: JCFcuda

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 01:32 AM

Dont be in a big hurry to load your car on a open trailer in the morning after a heavy fall frost.
Dont ask me how I know.

Jim F
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 01:42 AM

Don't forget to check the hitch latch on you're goose neck trailer before attempting to load you're car.

If you're restoring a tractor and need to move it. Don't forget to put the nut that holds the steering wheel on. Especilly if it has no seat, fenders or sheet metal, only floor boards on it. Be sure to have above said tractor pointed at a really sturdy fence post.
Posted By: brktracr

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 01:45 AM

Never leave a diet coke on the fuel cell when filling the tank. Put the trunk lid back on and head up to staging. Pull into water box and have the starter wave you off because something is leaking out of your car in the back, by the trunk area. Especially during a big $$$$ race... that was a $100 diet coke that I didn't finish.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 02:04 AM

Good thread; I don't feel so alone on the "Island of Stupidity"...

So, DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW ABOUT these:

Hood pins in the glass hood after tech is done looking.

After 7 runs at a TnT, your buddy tells you to check the fuel level and you think you're good. Only to run out on an elevated single lane return road. Yes, there is a line forming behind you...

You get to the track late and rush through tech with your scoop plug in and in your haste to get in on the last time shots, you leave that scoop plug in.

If you have a 440-abody and try to run a "too tall" front runner and you smell rubber buring after a lap and the wheels are slighty turned...the tire WILL pop and go flat.

Make sure your new trick B&M shifter is IN PARK when you get out of your car after driving up onto an open trailer.

If you drive 75 miles to your shop where the car/trailer is, hopefully you brought the keys to the shop and trailer with you.

After you cut a .002 light in the nightime semi's, make sure you know where the black primered other car is (he broke at 1000') before you run a 11.41 on an 11.43 dial!

Don't ever clean a trans pan with parts cleaner over the garage sink...next to the hot water heater.

And finally, (I SWEAR this wasn't me, not even a race car...) make sure the pin is IN the ball mount in your reciever hitch...before you go up hill with your big trailer full of 6 dirtbikes/quads!!
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 02:26 AM

make sure you have the car in park before you get out of it while its on the trailer.

make sure the coil is not going to arc to the fuel line when its leaking

yes, msd is a very good way to shock yourself!

when your jr dragster motor comes apart at 9800, it sounds like you threw a bunch of bolts in a blender.

detonation can trash a piston without you ever hearing it and without slowing the car down noticeably.

the electrode can break off a spark plug and the cylinder can still fire. but not when cold.

just because the header is cool, doesn't mean the flange is! Removing the # 6 plug on an early B with 2" headers can be painful if you forget this!

when you drop something on the car it almost never hits the ground, and if it does it always rolls to the middle just out of reach.

when you're in physics lab and you have 500v on wires, don't pull them out of the electron gun to make sure they're installed properly. Since it wasn't me that did this, what happened after was pretty entertaining!

for ksj (i think thats his username??)..dont test fire a junior dragster anywhere near a pool.
Posted By: gofish

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 02:32 AM

It is hard to believe a 2 ounce tire pressure gauge can leave a bruise on your chest when you leave it on the dash after checking tires in the staging lanes.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 02:37 AM

Quote:

Always pump the brakes a few times after compressing the pistons in the calipers to put in new pads. The neighbors fence is closer than it looks!

ET TU ?
This is one of the funniest threads I have read anywhere , and mostly because I just about ran out of fingers counting how many of them I had personal experience with.
My most recent ?
When you remove the gas tank before starting any cutting / grinding projects on the rear of the car , you may think you are being safety conscious.
Buy by only moving the fuel line to the other side of the car , you are ( this is by my personal grading system ) still 3/4's of an idiot.
Ask me ......... go ahead.
I am under the car working with a cut off wheel and all of a sudden , that harsh white fluorescent light has gained a dirty orange , flickering quality to it.
My 2' diameter camp fire is being fed by still dripping 110 and I had to decide......do I look for the fire extinguisher or smother it with the moving blanket I was laying on.
Being a man of action , I attacked it with the blanket.
Plus , I wasn't sure exactly where the two fire extinguishers I have out there were at the time......elevating me to full fledged idiot.
But I got it out and it only cost me the bottom 1/2 " of my beard.
Don't try this at home , sports fans.
I'm a professional.

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 02:50 AM

Make sure the arbor hole on a zip disk is the right size before you start cutting with it. Ask me how I know......... five stitches on the left hand almost a cut off right ear and a souvenir still embedded in the ceiling as a reminder, oh yaaaa.
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 02:52 AM

when you are tuning up the big block pick up, and putting the new plug wires on, they get wired up like a small block.

the left muffler may blow completly off the truck.
Posted By: A70Runner

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 02:53 AM

If you drop a soldering iron let it hit the floor...Dont try to catch it!

Before loading your car into a trailer make sure the ball is fully engaged and locked...
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 02:54 AM

always check the old oil filter and make sure the sealing ring is still there before you mount your new filter and crank your race car. ( hey Chris3 sorry about the mess in the yard )
Posted By: Viper469

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 03:04 AM

When starting an engine for the first time, and that inevitable carb fire happens. Make sure the person in the drivers seat knows NOT to keep pumping the gas when you tell him to keep turning it over, in an attempt to suck the fire out.
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 04:17 AM

Dont travel 1500 miles and leave your license at home...Dont ask FRED how he knows....

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/19/10 05:21 AM

Posted By: TomsCharger70

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 05:42 AM

When laying under your ride, mounting the exhaust system, a Dynomax muffler, droped from a hight of 1 fot, will knock you out..

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 05:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

ET TU ?
This is one of the funniest threads I have read anywhere , and mostly because I just about ran out of fingers counting how many of them I had personal experience with.
My most recent ?
When you remove the gas tank before starting any cutting / grinding projects on the rear of the car , you may think you are being safety conscious.
Buy by only moving the fuel line to the other side of the car , you are ( this is by my personal grading system ) still 3/4's of an idiot.
Ask me ......... go ahead.
I am under the car working with a cut off wheel and all of a sudden , that harsh white fluorescent light has gained a dirty orange , flickering quality to it.
My 2' diameter camp fire is being fed by still dripping 110 and I had to decide......do I look for the fire extinguisher or smother it with the moving blanket I was laying on.
Being a man of action , I attacked it with the blanket.
Plus , I wasn't sure exactly where the two fire extinguishers I have out there were at the time......elevating me to full fledged idiot.
But I got it out and it only cost me the bottom 1/2 " of my beard.
Don't try this at home , sports fans.
I'm a professional.

Haha! Wow, my "campfire" was caused by grinding too close to a puddle of grease/brake parts cleaner on the garage pad. Couldn't figure out why it was getting dark outside yet all of a sudden things behind me got really bright.....

My wife still laughs to this day.
Posted By: Dago Red

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 06:07 AM

If you have a quick disconnect steering wheel, always give it a firm tug before starting the burnout.

When racing a station wagon, no matter how many well meaning civilians wave to tell you "your key's in the hatch!!!", LEAVE IT ALONE....
'Tis impossible to fuel one with the key on your workbench in Fort Worth, TX and the hatch, with the car connected to it, sitting in the pits in Houston.

Attached picture 5816060-Houston1.jpg
Posted By: racerb440

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 06:10 AM

There is probably a good reason that the really smart people put a fusible link in when wiring the alternator directly to the battery.
Also
It is really hard to breathe in a car full of smoke when 16 feet of wire burns up completely before someone manages to get a battery cable off.
Posted By: racerb440

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 06:15 AM

If you ever find out you ran two rounds of eliminations with the plug in the hood scoop and then you take it out, it might be a good idea to dial down a little bit for third round, or else just leave it in and risk getting laughed at.
Posted By: 318Bruiser

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 07:14 AM

Quote:

Shotguns conduct electricity when touching an electric fence........don't ask me how I know

So does liquid leaving your body...... Hey, it was dark and covered with plants. BTW, always make sure when going under the electric fence that your not shirtless. Electricity to the spine and "mr. happy" will definitely ruin your day.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 11:53 AM

When you have a high RPM mis all of the sudden in the spring, make sure that you didn't turn the rev limiter down for your buddy to make some passes at the end of last year, BEFORE you put plugs, wires, cap, coil, revamp the entire fuel system, and put and valve springs on the car...

Yeah...that hurt.
Posted By: moper

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:19 PM

Quote:

I'll add... So did Jacobs..
Posted By: Dartwizer

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:25 PM

Don't forget to put the little rubber gromet on the brake push rod at the master cyl.Makes for a kool ride trying to find the brake pedal,,,,,,,,,,,
Posted By: donscuda

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 12:37 PM

When push starting Don Gartlis at The World Series of Drag Racing in his newly restored Swamp Rat IV, make sure TC took the blower cover off the scoop.... It's a liitle un-nerving to be "bump-drafting" a rail in Ron Colson's daily driver at 50 mph with Don motioning you to go even faster.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 01:08 PM

Quote:

If you drop a soldering iron let it hit the floor...Dont try to catch it!

This one also applies to knives.
Don't ask me how I know.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 01:13 PM

after you blow up an 8.75 it's not a good idea to use the caps from another...
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 02:26 PM

When having the wife back the boat down the ramp,
Don't yell STOP I'm not ready yet unless the boat is someway attached to the trailer!
ask me how I know
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 02:29 PM

ALLWAYS check inside your enclosed trailer to make sure you have loaded the car up before you head to the track. luckily the person in question remembered before he got more than 20 miles from home.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 03:20 PM

When running from a nitrous back fire in the pits, remember to look up before deciding on what direction to run . Just because your DC impact gun had enough ass to remove the back lugs, it has enough to put them back tight
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 03:35 PM

If set the oven on WARM, just so you can warm up a can of spray paint, DON'T leave it in there for the next morning when you preheat the oven for baking some strudel.
Posted By: john55

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 06:04 PM

when making new brake lines, be sure to have the nut on the right way, or else you'll have to cut the new brake line, turn the nut around, re-flair and then find out the new brake line in now too short

also. when loading a boat on a roller boat trailer on a steep ramp, if the bow is not completely against the bumper, don't pull the boat and trailer out of the water and park it on the steep ramp and try to snug it up .... the look on my face as I tighten the winch , SNAP! the boat slides off the trailer, down the boat ramp, into the water PRICELESS
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 06:25 PM

never think "there's no way i broke out- i dumped it enough". twice in one weekend.
Posted By: Prostock

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 09:02 PM

Quote:

also. when loading a boat on a roller boat trailer on a steep ramp, if the bow is not completely against the bumper, don't pull the boat and trailer out of the water and park it on the steep ramp and try to snug it up .... the look on my face as I tighten the winch , SNAP! the boat slides off the trailer, down the boat ramp, into the water PRICELESS

I didn't go quite as far as having the strap break, but I did go to back the boat into the water so it would be floating so I could snug it up, and forgot that I had taken the plug out already.

When I looked into my right mirror and could see the bilge pump pushing out a nice steady stream out of the side of the boat, I remembered.

In my hurry, we pulled the boat out to put the plug back in and it ended all crooked on the trailer.

Then there was the time that I let Melanie use my truck to pull the boat up the ramp, she let the clutch out in my diesel truck, gave it too much gas and did a nice burnout all the way up the ramp. That was quite a show.

Then there was the time I was using a tie down to snug the super bee up against the stops on my trailer, the strap broke, the car rolled off the trailer, down the street, made a 90 degree turn and ended up in the neighbors yard instead of down in the woods.....sigh.
Posted By: galen

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 09:45 PM

Dont air up your wheelchair tires as your setting in it with 175 lbs line pressure, or at least quit talking and pay attention. Blew the tire off the rim when it let go. Dont go down hill to the garage with an intake and carb on your lap with a manual wheelchair, intake and carb saved, wifes flower bed, not so lucky.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 09:59 PM

Ok now if boat ramp stories count also , listen here, just remember its not my boat & truck but I was there Brand new f 350 diesel 4x4 sticker still on window, low tide with a 8 foot drop and a very mosey ramp Guy backs down the ramp with a 30 foot sport boat with 3 Huge outboards Has the back wheels 12 inches in the water, cranks up all three engines and tryies to back boat off the trailer with the safety chain still on, boat wont move So he throttles up all three standing backwards at the center console looking aft, boat slowly starts to move, big smile on this dudes face still looking aft as his brand new truck slides under water, He pulled the truck into water 10 ft deep Lots of bubbles
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 10:26 PM

Never sign off with
"Take it easy.."
or
"Dont work too hard...".
its a socialist plot to stiffle productivity..

Work your back side off..it makes the beer taste that much better...

Never..and i mean Never ..
while holding the brake caliper in your hand
use air pressure blown in the brake line port
to remove a stuck caliper- piston.... holy....???? good thing my fingers weren't in there....
cheapst
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/19/10 11:07 PM

A young man (17) bought an engine for his car , loaded it in the truck, it's too heavy to get all the way in so he thinks it's to heavy to fall out!
Had to reload at first intersection. No serious dammage and it was a Chevy anyway.
"DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW"

My son wonders why I tie things down with every strap I have.
Posted By: drbill

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 01:19 AM

Not me but I saw it happen.
Move your car closer to the air hose instead of pulling on it to stretch it that extra few inches to get to the valve stem while crouching down.
Because when you yank the fitting off the end of a air hose that has 170 psi it whips real fast and hits you you know where.
Poor guy leaned his head on the fender of his car for a long time before he could get up.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 01:35 AM

Don't put a live .22 in a wadd of Silly Putty and bounce it on the floor.

Wish I didn't know why, but I do.
Posted By: 67Charger

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 01:44 AM

Quote:

Then there was the time that I let Melanie use my truck to pull the boat up the ramp, she let the clutch out in my diesel truck, gave it too much gas and did a nice burnout all the way up the ramp. That was quite a show.

Same thing here... Wife, diesel truck, 6 speed, except she let off for a second, caught traction, and nailed it again, promptly spitting the boat backwards nearly off the trailer. The one thing that saved us is that the tie point on our trailer is a steel rod hinged about 2 feet behind the tip of the bow where the anchor point is. When she hit it, the boat pulled back on the rod, causing it to rotate over-center from pointing forwards to pointing backwards, cammed against the anchor point on the hull. We had to back down into the water to unhook it and try again.
Posted By: zzyzxpat

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 02:18 AM

When you build a new car, don't forget to put a stop behind the brake pedal so the master cylinder pushrod doesn't pop out of the master cylinder on launch and wedge up against the floor. Low gear and sand traps are a hell of a way to stop a race car!
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 02:18 AM

When camping, don't ever throw a "empty" disposable lighter in the campfire. The little metal end has a nasty way of blowing holes in your nylon tent set up 30 feet away........

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 02:51 AM

to remove a stuck caliper- piston.... holy....???? good thing my fingers weren't in there....
cheapst

BTDT
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 03:13 AM

Never ask someone to "get in and turn the key until I tell you to stop" when you have a screw driver stuck in the end of a plug wire on a MSD/Blaster coil equipped car. Especially if they don't know any better than you. 'cause they will hold it until ("my fingers got tired") and you wined up with a strained jaw from clinching it soooooo long.

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 03:46 AM

Quote:

cheapst

BTDT

When rebuilding a buddys C-6 trans, the rear clutch piston got stuck in the bore(actually got cocked). Pushed it back in with a hammer handle, give it a little blow from blow gun, cocks again, one more time same results. Now I'm a large believer in Moore's Law (some is good, more is better, and for us drag racers, too much should be just about right) Third time, put air to it and hold it, but I'm holding a rag over it to catch it when it does "pop" out. The way it felt I was sure it had slid all the way up my arm to my arm pit Really didn't want to look.
Some lessons just have to learned the hard way.

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 04:16 AM

when I was a kid, I always hung around the shop, usually in dads way, anyway, dad was rebuilding a magneto off an old John Deere, he had it mounted in a vice with a screwdriver in one of the secondary leads out of the cap, so he calls me over and tells me to hang on to the screwdriver... I can still remember him rotating the drive gear then the mag went CLICK went running out of the shop dang that hurt
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 08:45 PM

When parked next to your girlfriends car in a parking lot... drivers door to drivers door, so you two can talk.. Always check to make sure the front tires arent pointed to the left before you do that smokey burnout get away..
Posted By: 7sec.cuda

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 09:28 PM

always turn on the air bottle before a pass

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 09:32 PM

Never leave the ratchet on the crank bolt after adjusting valves--ask me how I know ( my shop has a skylight)
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 09:32 PM

When you spend all day scratchin your head as to why your daughters ET's are so slow...and her launch is weak.....at the end of the day when loading the car do you remember you had the trans guy install a reverse manual valve body....launching in drive sucks !!!!....
Posted By: 7sec.cuda

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 09:44 PM

Quote:

When you build a new car, don't forget to put a stop behind the brake pedal so the master cylinder pushrod doesn't pop out of the master cylinder on launch and wedge up against the floor. Low gear and sand traps are a hell of a way to stop a race car!

geez i forgot i never did that lol
Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/20/10 09:57 PM

A Guy I worked with went to change the oil in his truck. Drained the oil and then aded 5 quarts. Gee why is that so full? I only added the 5 quarts.

Duh, drained the trans and then topped off the engine with 5 quarts! And he was using Amsoil too. What's even worse is the thing had an automatic trans with red fluid and he still did not notice. That cost him some $$$$
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/21/10 02:24 AM

Don;t think just because you flushed
the gas tank with soap and water you
can weld a sump "kaboom" and
no that wasn't me
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/21/10 04:29 AM

Quote:

Never leave the ratchet on the crank bolt after adjusting valves--ask me how I know ( my shop has a skylight)

Yeah, did that at the track on first day out. new rockers, thought I should just have a look see. OOPS. crank bolt came right out. Thankfully nothing got damaged but my pride. Beep
Posted By: Mopar_racer_99

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/21/10 02:11 PM

If you pull fuses out to check them , trying to find the one blown cause you didnt mark them, remember to full press them back. Doing a burn out and looking over as the fuses come out shutting off the car makes you look real stupid.

When building your motor always clean and look on work bench no razor blades left there as you set the head down...then install said head on motor , only to have a head gasket leaking ....DAMHIK. John
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/21/10 04:46 PM

...few years ago buddy of mine left the keys to the locks on his trailer doors at home...no problem...I carry bolt cutters just for such an emergency...one day I left MY keys at home for the locks on MY trailer doors...buddy says "no problem...just use your bolt cutters"...hhhmmm...wonder where the bolt cutters were ...IN THE TRAILER!!!...hack sawing a lock is no fun...especially when they are calling first round of T/T's to the lanes...AMHIK
Posted By: Dago Red

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/21/10 05:33 PM

FROM THE FILES AND STORIES OF "RAPIDUS MAXUMUS"

NEVER.....I MEAN NEVER leave your cooler to mark your pit space after dark.

A big Dodge truck with a trailer has NO pity on an Igloo full of beverages.

Thought we'd forgot ......THE LEGEND OF "THE KOOLER KILLER"
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/21/10 05:50 PM

Don't use a toggle switch for your line loc...You may hit the wall and get a Darwin award at the track banquet...
Posted By: barracudabob

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/21/10 05:51 PM

Don't use incandescent trouble lights. Changing the fuel filter on my sons Daytona, laying underneath the car, just as the hose was to slide off the filter, a squirt of fuel came out and hit the bulb. BOOM!!! Two seconds later, POOF!!! Flames all over, including my hands. Lucky a friend of mine was there and grabbed the fire extinguisher. Shortly after that, I threw out my old trouble lights and bought LED ones.

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/21/10 06:07 PM

Posted By: Airgrabber

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/21/10 06:35 PM

1. Don't try to push your car 1/2 way out of the garage to work on it and get pinned between the door, window, and garage wall when the car rolls to far. Did this when I was 16 and yelled and yelled for help when finally a neighbor heard me and him and my dad pushed the car back. I fell straight back onto my head (ouch). The guys said I was blue in the face.
2. When using a hole saw on metal do not brush the filings away with your bare hands. This causes some bleeding to occur. (duh).
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/21/10 06:59 PM

Make sure you have checked and double checked to make sure all of the oil galley plugs are in your new motor before you call your buddies to help figure out why it won't prime. especially the ones in front behind the timing chain...
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/21/10 07:14 PM

Quote:

FROM THE FILES AND STORIES OF "RAPIDUS MAXUMUS"

NEVER.....I MEAN NEVER leave your cooler to mark your pit space after dark.

A big Dodge truck with a trailer has NO pity on an Igloo full of beverages.

Thought we'd forgot ......THE LEGEND OF "THE KOOLER KILLER"

You had to bring that up...LOL...it was just one cooler...jee whiz...
Posted By: gtsdude

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/21/10 09:15 PM

When trying out a different carb from a friend and he says it is good to go, double check that it has jets in it, might run a little rich if you dont.
Posted By: modified1090

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/26/10 02:32 AM

always pull the bbq grill away from the vinyl siding house before warming it up!
Posted By: modified1090

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/26/10 02:34 AM

getting out of the tattoo chair after a 4 hour session of your son's picture on your chest.... if the big guy asks you if it has been "set" always say YES!
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 02/26/10 02:51 AM

when laying on the ground checking your gas tank for the gas leak you can smell, make sure the gas isn't dripping down on the area behind and below the zipper of your pants -
Posted By: abodyman

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 03/01/10 03:35 AM

Never disconect your automatic shift linkage, from underneath your 70 Challenger then shift the trans. into neutral, especially when your parked on a hill, without the e brake on!
OR a block of wood in front of the tire.
Geez

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 03/01/10 03:52 AM

This wasn't me, but I saw it happen from a friends yard.
His nabor was working on inline six in a Ford. Hoods off, front tires are on ramps, no chock block, no park brake, (car is a manual shift in gear) and yard is on a incline to the back, so car is actually on a little slant, down hill to the rear. He's got everything undone except head bolts and had to come over and borrow a breaker bar to loosen them up. Goes back over, takes all head bolts out, then takes a pry bar and prys up on head. As soon as head pops up, no more compression to hold car. It takes off down the hill with him sprawled over the engine compartment and runs clean through a chain link fence, into nabors yard. Now his car is disassembled, down the hill and in the nabors yard on the other side of the fence. The look on his face...
Posted By: jcastle1

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 03/01/10 03:59 AM

I would've paid to see that!

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 03/01/10 04:07 AM

Don't do any welding when you have holes in your pants.
Posted By: POZEST

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 03/01/10 05:55 AM

Been racing for 17 years and have ran out of gas twice. Once in my car and once in a friends car. Neither one of the gas gauges worked at that time though either....
Posted By: dare_dude

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 03/01/10 12:40 PM

Never be directly under ratchet when tighting front end bolts. Ouch!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Maximus_Wedges

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 03/01/10 10:23 PM

When teaching your young newbe to race don't assume they will let go of the 2 step button when they mash the loud pedal on green. Don't ask me how I know.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 03/01/10 10:43 PM

There are two transport tie-down brackets hanging off the rear of late 70's C-bodies that are exactly at skull level(when it's on the lift). Don't ask me how I know...
Posted By: topside

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 03/02/10 04:26 AM

It's not a good idea to mount the battery charging posts to a metal bracket under the rear bumper on a car without wheelie bars. And it's really not a good idea after you put the car on the back bumper to grab that (now folded) bracket to straighten it back out and find the posts are shorted to the bracket. And it's an even worse idea not to have a 1/2 wrench handy to disconnect the battery cables, when said short gets the cables burning...
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 03/02/10 07:48 PM

Never ever let someone distract you (even a lrage busted pretty girl) when checking valve lash! Don't ask me how I know.

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/02/10 07:56 PM

Posted By: topside

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 03/02/10 09:40 PM

...and speaking of distractions, don't let them happen when you're setting up your open-trailer ramps to unload your car until you have BOTH ramps ready...and always have a floor jack with you at the track.
DEffinAMHIK
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 07/09/10 04:04 AM

If you're a cop and your neighbor (me) asks if you have a spent .22 shell laying around don't pull out your rifle and accidentally fire a round into your concrete driveway spraying bits of lead and concrete into 3 people.

Post deleted by Defbob - 07/09/10 05:46 AM

Posted By: drag345

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 07/09/10 09:33 AM

When sitting on the floor grinding the engine mounts off your car try not to drop the 4" angle grinder in your lap as the nurses & doctors won't understand why somone with 5 shattered vertibrea in there back is using a grinder on there car (I think I was the only one who could see the funny side the looks on there face was priceless )
P.S I gave away my 9" grinder the next day.

drag370
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 07/09/10 03:55 PM

When trying to troubleshoot an MSD7 no spark condition, you can get shocked like alot of other people here have found out but on top of that you can bang your head on the hood real hard when you suddenly straighten up, loose your balance because your left leg suddenly doesn't want to work properly, fail to catch yourself because your left arm is working about the same as your left leg, fall back on the concrete hurting your tailbone and elbow, look around and see half a dozen people laughing so hard they can't breath, can't tell them that it's not really that funny because your mouth is working about the same as you left leg and arm. 15 minutes later your arm stops quivering enough so that you can put a bandaid on your elbow.

Never forget to take the floorjack out of the trunk of your race car.

When one of your Chevy buddies tells you he doesn't need a jack to pull his muncie 4 speed out because he just pulls it out and sets it on his chest, DON"T listen. I think an 833 must weigh at least 400 lbs when you are laying on your back.

You do not need a garage full of buddies while you are degreeing in a cam. Trust me, Nothing good can come of this.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 07/09/10 04:10 PM

Make sure the ball and nut is tight before hooking the trailer up to the truck..
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 07/09/10 04:36 PM

Always put your car in park before getting out.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 07/09/10 04:56 PM

I had purchased a 69 Coronet from a board member here several years ago. Only thing at the time I had was a toll dolly. I had to drive up to Beckley West Virginia to the guys house. I was in traffic coming around Huntington Wv when the nut came off the bottom of the ball. It had safely chains on it and it jerked the crap out of it but it saved us and others from a horrible ordeal.
I dropped the trailer on the side of I-64 went to a local U-Hual rental and purchased a Ball and nut. Came back and some guy was there hooking up the trailer to his truck and steal it.
I was already mad, I came unglued. I chased the guy to his truck he was digging around like he had a gun or something in the glovebox.
Good thing he didnt, I was so mad I didnt care..I kicked dents in his little S-10 from the front fended to the bumper.
Good thing it came off then and not after the car was loaded. Those little chains would not have held it.
A week or so earlier My brother-In-law and my sister used the truck, and I guess the camper they pulled used a diff ball.
So they took my ball off and used another. Thing is they put my ball back on but didnt tighten it, or tell me to tighten it up.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 07/09/10 05:09 PM

NEVER throw a wrench at sheetrock- you now have two holes to fix, the entry hole, and the retrieval hole at the bottom of the wall!
(45 years ago) be sure to keep your head clear of the wrecking bar when flipping the rear shackles on a 53 Ford. It will travel a long way, and ruins the garage siding when it spears it and sticks forty feet away!
(43 years ago) used swing set frames do not work well with chain hoists . They tend to sag at a bad time, like when your buddy Fred is under the motor.
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 07/09/10 06:06 PM

(43 years ago) used swing set frames do not work well with chain hoists . They tend to sag at a bad time, like when your buddy Fred is under the motor.

Awesome.......
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 07/09/10 06:08 PM

when experimenting in the kitchen, ALWAYS taste test.

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 07/09/10 06:16 PM

An engine will idle just fine at about 5000 rpm if you forget to put a 3/8 pipe plug in the hole at the back of the intake manifold plenum.

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 07/09/10 06:21 PM

Quote:

when experimenting in the kitchen, ALWAYS taste test.

And Never Ever experiment in the kitchen when the wife is home. Especially do not use her oven to bake car parts for any reason. No powdercoating. No heat treating. No parts cleaning, No paint stripping. NOTHING.
Samething with the dishwasher. I don't care how good it works for cleaning parts. Forget about it.
Posted By: drag345

Re: Once again "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW" - 07/09/10 11:05 PM

Don't fill the work shop kero heater while it is still going & make sure it is actualy kero & not race fuel in the drum or expect the neighbors to be asking do they need to call the fire brigade for you!

drag370
© 2024 Moparts Forums