Moparts

Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor.

Posted By: sunroofgtx

Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 02:48 AM

All good news. Done by an independent test company that actually sells their own distributors. These will be here early March, but the coils 2 weeks after. You need a very good coil to run it. Notice zero degree's retard at 8000 rpm.

Box-CWS Ready to Run Distributor Coil-CWS Epoxy type
Test Parameters:
Pressure vessel charged at 3000PSI Nitrogen
Sun Distributor Machine
Ambient temp 62*F
Plugs gapped at .045
Plug Wires CWS FireCore 250
Test plugs Autolite 85
Total run and test time 1 hour 40 minutes
Full load 8000 RPM for 30 Minutes
Test Voltage 14V

OUTPUT TIMING

1000 ___32_____KV __0_____
2000 ___40_____KV __0_____
3000 ___42_____KV __0_____
4000 ___42¬_____KV __0_____
5000 ___42_____KV __0_____
6000 ___42_____KV __0_____
8000___42___KV __0____

Through Ballast resistor ___Not Required

Direct at 14V Volts to coil _X__

Test time Full load 30 minutes
Max Coil temp 100*F after 10 minutes, increase in temp to 128* after 30 minutes full RPM
Open Ground test 52,000 Volts, jumped to ground through case.

Opinion: From our testing the distributor and coil as tested were flawless and should offer more than adequate output on almost any naturally aspirated application up to the tested max RPM of 8000.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 03:22 AM

Sweet

Congrats on the results
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 03:35 AM

cool. sorry if i sound dumb but is this a GM HEI stile DIS? IF so are you going to come out with a MSD stile dis that use a separate control box? Can you tell me or pm what the cost will be. sounds like a nice set up.thanks Mopar65
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 03:42 AM

Cool.... ...when are the caps available seperately?

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 04:03 AM

Quote:

cool. sorry if i sound dumb but is this a GM HEI stile DIS? IF so are you going to come out with a MSD stile dis that use a separate control box? Can you tell me or pm what the cost will be. sounds like a nice set up.thanks Mopar65

Not even close to a GM. actually, it's the best parts of a lot of makes. There are a lot of factors that went into it to make it overkill. I believe we are the only distributor out there that out of the box, retards zero degree's, all the way to 8 grand. We had to make our own coil to keep up with it. No joke. He tested other coils, and they stoped at 5200 rpm. Our mechanical's will plug right into a msd unit.

ready to run vacuum on left, and mech on right.. These distributors will work with OEM caps and out HEI style caps.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 06:27 AM

any pictures?
will you be selling coil and distributor together?

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 01:44 PM

The distributor will be out first. Closely followed by the coil..

Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 02:26 PM

Can these distributors be used with a Mopar performance chrome box or will they only work with a MSD type set-up?
Posted By: VanishPt

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 06:48 PM

How do you adjust the curve?
Posted By: Blown61

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not even close to a GM. actually, it's the best parts of a lot of makes. There are a lot of factors that went into it to make it overkill. I believe we are the only distributor out there that out of the box, retards zero degree's, all the way to 8 grand. We had to make our own coil to keep up with it. No joke. He tested other coils, and they stoped at 5200 rpm. Our mechanical's will plug right into a msd unit.

ready to run vacuum on left, and mech on right.. These distributors will work with OEM caps and out HEI style caps.

Which coils gave up at 5200??

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 09:06 PM

Quote:

You adjust it as you do with the Mopar style lockout, and the advance is done with springs.

I don't have the names of the coils that gave out right now..

Yes, MSD boxes can be wired in. It's the same procedure as the RTR MSD distributor's. Check this out. Page 6 http://www.msdignition.com/instructions/Products/8360.pdf?terms=8360

The gold box is not compatible with our vacuum advance ready to run distributors. Our distributor is a capacitor discharge unit, not an inductive discharge.
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 09:43 PM

Few little questions. Maybe they are stupid but oh well.

Can it be used with a Crank trigger and become more of just a "dummy" distributor? Maybe you have a option which you will make just a dummy one?

Also you have any idea when it could start to sprak scatter?

I ask this because I'm running a MSD 10 system with some Real nice FIRECORE wires but have a Malory "dummy" crank trigger distributor which i do not think is the best even as just a dummy. Also i'm having a hard time finding replacement parts for it.
Posted By: Blown61

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 11:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You adjust it as you do with the Mopar style lockout, and the advance is done with springs.

I don't have the names of the coils that gave out right now..

Yes, MSD boxes can be wired in. It's the same procedure as the RTR MSD distributor's. Check this out. Page 6 http://www.msdignition.com/instructions/Products/8360.pdf?terms=8360

The gold box is not compatible with our vacuum advance ready to run distributors. Our distributor is a capacitor discharge unit, not an inductive discharge.

Does you coil put out more power then others?
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/18/10 11:24 PM

Nice - does that have the mopar pick-up what about the cap is that a mopar style cap also?

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/19/10 12:20 AM

We engineered all of our distributors to accept both the OEM Mopar cap, AND our HEI style cap.

I am sure any distributor could be used as a dummy. I will check and get back.

Yes, our cd coil can be used as a standard coil, but a non-cd coil can not be used with our R T R distributors. To put it in perspective. It is in between an MSD SS and an HVC II.

Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/19/10 05:50 AM

do you make your own caps?

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/19/10 12:32 PM

I can't make anything like that. I am the only company that you can get these from, if thats what you mean...
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/19/10 03:21 PM

Sounds great. I'll have to get my hands on the setup for one of my dyno mules.
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/19/10 03:54 PM

If I were to change over to the HEI style cap vs the OEM cap could I send in my wires and get the ends changed?

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/19/10 06:02 PM

If you have enough length, of course we could swap out the ends. We will run a special, I'm sure. Maybe swap them for free if you buy a distributor, except shipping of course..
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/19/10 08:29 PM

cool< and yes I do have enough length . I do need a longer line for my coil, but it's working now.
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/19/10 10:46 PM

Is the cap any bigger than a stock Chrysler cap? its looks like a nice piece Good work!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 02/19/10 11:28 PM

Good lookin items and it`s nice to see someone else on board to help out the Mopar community.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 06/30/10 06:35 PM

Quote:

Good lookin items and it`s nice to see someone else on board to help out the Mopar community.

I agree.

I just purchased one of your distributors through 4 seconds flat. What is your relationship with them?

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 06/30/10 07:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.

I just purchased one of your distributors through 4 seconds flat. What is your relationship with them?

In my opinion, Don and FBO are one of the foremost authorities on ignition systems. He is our main dealer with our CD Coil and Firecore Distributors. Here is a customers engine with our Coil and Mechanical Firecore Distributor.

Posted By: Commando1

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 06/30/10 10:04 PM

Don just blew me away. Talked me through the whole process of giving him the info he needed and never talked down to me.
The best part, through each step of the process, he was telling me WHY.
I learned more from him in two days than in the past 40 years. Nobody, but nobody should be afraid to go to him for distributor advise.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 06/30/10 11:09 PM

What engine will these Distributors be available for?

Thanks

Alan

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 06/30/10 11:18 PM

RB and LD big blocks are available right now.. Small blocks hopefully around winter..
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 07/01/10 12:14 AM

Gorski...Can I call you tommorow??
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 07/01/10 12:27 AM

Installed on on Lenny Davis's 500"RB,maybe he will report in.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 07/01/10 12:39 AM

I love my FireCore tall mechanical distributor and the slotted advance advance plate makes setting the curve a breeze
Thanks for another GREAT product Rick
Gus

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 07/01/10 03:22 AM

Quote:

Gorski...Can I call you tommorow??

Of course, Boom.. Anytime.. Thanks Gus. Any pics, Gus. Love to see how they fit on your heads.. Thanks for the kind comments. Thanks Bob G. I'm taking a ton to Carlisle. 55 bucks less than MSD, and will hold the timing all the way to 8800.. Only distributor that can truthfully say that..
Posted By: sogtx

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 07/02/10 01:22 AM

I had the opportunity to rip one aprt last saturday nite at 1 am in gorskis garage ..

Looks like a cool precision piece .. did you get it installed on your car Sunday Rick ??

Thanks for breakfast

Next time im in cleveland itll be earlier ..
Posted By: 68valiant68

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 07/03/10 03:20 AM

So far I have nothing but good things to say. Still testing the dist. and tuning will report back when I get this bad boy tuned in.
Posted By: mopar65

Re: Test results for our RTR FireCore Distributor. - 07/03/10 03:28 AM

I also bought my new firecore dist from don at FBO.i am soposed to have it around the middle of next week.i cant wait. Mopar65
© 2024 Moparts Forums