Moparts

Engine Balance

Posted By: Roughbird72

Engine Balance - 02/11/10 03:30 PM

does anyone know what the difference is gram wise between a street balance & race balance.i know that some shops may vary.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Engine Balance - 02/11/10 04:19 PM

I don't thing it's an actual weight issue as much as it has to do with tolerences allowed.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Engine Balance - 02/11/10 06:55 PM

Quote:

I don't thing it's an actual weight issue as much as it has to do with tolerences allowed.

I'd say it doesn't have to do w/ the tolerances involved as the level of effort put into the balancing job.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Engine Balance - 02/11/10 07:22 PM

I have seen and heard of as much as 18 grams differences in stock pistons and rods, most good balance shops shoot for one gram variences on rods(with bearings and oil), pistons (with wrist pins and rings) on there balance jobs. Some achieve that and some don't I have a Haus triple beam balance scale so I do check the parts now and then just to keep the shops on thier toes BTW, to do balance checking properly you need a shadow graph and a crankshaft balancing machine, which I don't have

Re: Engine Balance - 02/12/10 02:12 AM

ok i was a little vague.i was more interested in tolerances in grams.i have done my 440s & a few small chevys at a friends shop.i've always tried to keep pistons/pins & rods within 2 grams & crank within 5 grams on street/strip engines.

Cab i had a set of LY rods that varied 14 grams on the big end.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Engine Balance - 02/12/10 03:41 AM

Quote:

does anyone know what the difference is gram wise between a street balance & race balance.i know that some shops may vary.

some shops seem to have that "it's good enough" mentality.
if your shop has different balance jobs for different engine jobs, i'd look elsewhere.
we take the approach of either it's done right, or we won't do it.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Engine Balance - 02/12/10 04:35 AM

Matching the weights is the high school stuff.
Knowing where to remove the weight from the crank is a whole different game.

Re: Engine Balance - 02/12/10 04:43 AM

Quote:

Matching the weights is the high school stuff.
Knowing where to remove the weight from the crank is a whole different game.

fortunately,i've had access to a hines balancer.
Posted By: Keith BlackĀ®

Re: Engine Balance - 02/13/10 12:10 AM

race balance will likely over balance +/- 0.5-1%

© 2024 Moparts Forums