Moparts

Crank case evac

Posted By: 602heavy

Crank case evac - 02/09/10 11:06 PM

Are most of you guys welding the evac tubes into the collectors or further down line? , will be easier if i could weld em in around 3" passed collectors.

How much vac do these pull generally? , will hook up a manometer when done.

TIA.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Crank case evac - 02/09/10 11:10 PM

I've lways put them into the collector. Never had any pipe after that

Even on the tightest sealed motor they won't pull a lot of vacuum. Never measuered it though.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Crank case evac - 02/09/10 11:46 PM

If I can ever get out from under the friggin snow, I wil continue with my evac testing.

Attached picture 5793794-evacpipe.jpg

Re: Crank case evac - 02/09/10 11:52 PM

"never had any pipe after that" , that's funny.

Crizila , that is the exact set up i'm talkin about , i see you have 3 1/2" exhausts?
Posted By: 68LAR

Re: Crank case evac - 02/09/10 11:54 PM

never had much luck with welding the bungs past the collector. Mine are in the collector about 2" before the flange. At idle there is zero inches of vacuum. At around 2500 rpm there is about 2" of vacuum. I also use a PCV valve along with my evac system. Works real good now for about 10 years.

Re: Crank case evac - 02/09/10 11:56 PM

This is the tube I am working on right now. Kinda did my own thing on the exit section of the pipe. It's in the header extension ( I run with the extensions on at the track )about 1/2" and I have 1/2 of it capped off. Had the car running on the stands yesterday with the rest of the exhaust system in place and got about 1 - 2"hg at idle. Didn't change when I wound it up. Been snowing like a banchee here, so I can't take it out - nor have I tried it with just the extensions and no exhaust.

Attached picture 5793820-evacpipe2.jpg
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 12:01 AM

Quote:

I also use a PCV valve along with my evac system.

Why?

Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 12:04 AM

Quote:

never had much luck with welding the bungs past the collector. Mine are in the collector about 2" before the flange. At idle there is zero inches of vacuum. At around 2500 rpm there is about 2" of vacuum. I also use a PCV valve along with my evac system. Works real good now for about 10 years.

I was running a PCV, but had reservations with a closed crankcase system? I did buy a vacuum relief valve and have it set at about 12". I'm sure I will never see that number with the full exhaust in place, but until I get a chance to run it at the track, I won't know how much it will suck with just the shorty extensions.

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 12:09 AM

Quote:

This is the tube I am working on right now. Kinda did my own thing on the exit section of the pipe. It's in the header extension ( I run with the extensions on at the track )about 1/2" and I have 1/2 of it capped off. Had the car running on the stands yesterday with the rest of the exhaust system in place and got about 1 - 2"hg at idle. Didn't change when I wound it up. Been snowing like a banchee here, so I can't take it out - nor have I tried it with just the extensions and no exhaust.

Would it of been more effective if the evac tubes entered into the ex pipe as opposed to welding them in flush?

Thanks for the pics.

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 12:10 AM

Quote:

"never had any pipe after that" , that's funny.

Crizila , that is the exact set up i'm talkin about , i see you have 3 1/2" exhausts?

Actually 3". They go back to a pair of Summit chambered muffs and just dump in front of the axle. Only have them on when I'm street testing and so I don't piss the neighbors off too much.

Attached picture 5793851-exhastsys.jpg

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 12:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Would it of been more effective if the evac tubes entered into the ex pipe as opposed to welding them in flush?

Thanks for the pics.

I don't know? I have several sets of extensions, and plan on trying some other ways. Moroso's instructions ( with their evac kit ) suggest they be in 1/2" off the pipe wall - that is with them located just down stream of the primary tube junction in the headers.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 12:28 AM

How much does the evac help? I mean say on a 11.90 car?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 01:43 AM

I did alot of testing on the evac and found that if
you weld the tube in with the face of the tube mounted
so its parallel with the exit of the collector(or
in a collector extension), try to get it away from
the side wall some.... doing it this way gives you
the greatest negative pressure(vac)... it will pull
about 5"hg max but if you run a exhaust system, for
every inch Hg of back pressure you have on the exhaust
you will decrease the vac by that amount that
the engine would see.
Try to get it at least 3" from the point where the
primary tubes end... also if you use a O2, have the
O2 up stream of the evac otherwise it will give the
O2 bad numbers

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 01:51 AM

Quote:

I've heard all kinds of claims on this board from nothing to over 30HP and I'm sure there are a million variables as to why. My car only runs low 11.70's, so I'm not expecting much, but I don't see any negatives. If I could get get a tenth or so out of it ( for the $ I have in it )I'd be a happy camper.

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 02:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why?

No, it doesn't defeat the purpose. At idle, there is a negative pressure in the crankcase due to the PCV valve. Anything above idle, there is also a negative pressure in the crankcase due to the crankcase evac. system.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 02:26 AM

Quote:

also if you use a O2, have the
O2 bad numbers

so the o2 sensor cloer to the collector than the evac nipple?

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 02:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

also if you use a O2, have the
O2 bad numbers

so the o2 sensor cloer to the collector than the evac nipple?

Up stream... OR in front of the evac(towards the
primary tubes)
Posted By: Rodney

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the pics.

we've always had them in about an inch with the taper parallel to the pipe.

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 03:56 AM

we've always had them in about an inch with the taper parallel to the pipe.

Yeah thats the way Moroso wants you to install it...
it works that way but in testing I found that I could
get 1.0" - 1.5"hg more if it was done with the tube parallel
with the exit of the collector but I made sure it was
square to get the added numbers... their way is a
little more forgiving
Posted By: Rodney

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 04:13 AM

didn't the moroso also have slice cuts out of the pipe some where on the pipe that fit inside?

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 04:18 AM

Quote:

didn't the moroso also have slice cuts out of the pipe some where on the pipe that fit inside?

I dont recall that
EDIT
Yes there is
www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-25900/?rtype=10
Posted By: BobR

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 04:41 AM

Quote:

If I can ever get out from under the friggin snow, I wil continue with my evac testing.

This is not correct.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 04:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I've heard all kinds of claims on this board from nothing to over 30HP and I'm sure there are a million variables as to why. My car only runs low 11.70's, so I'm not expecting much, but I don't see any negatives. If I could get get a tenth or so out of it ( for the $ I have in it )I'd be a happy camper.

Worth absolutely nothing on 3 different dyno tests that I have personally witnessed. Worth absolutely nothing on my stocker. May help keep some seals dry.

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 01:17 PM

Quote:

Yes, those were locator cuts, so you could position the pipes corectly - per Moroso. I do plan on trying s set as Mr P Body has suggested - perpendicular to the exhaust flow verses parallel. With 11.2:1 CR, standard ring package and tight piston to wall clearance, I don't have blow-by issues with this motor, so I probably won't see much if any gain. Still think it would be a benifit to run negative pressure in the crankcase at all times though.

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 01:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why?

No, it doesn't defeat the purpose. At idle, there is a negative pressure in the crankcase due to the PCV valve. Anything above idle, there is also a negative pressure in the crankcase due to the crankcase evac. system.

Just curious - do you remember how much vacuum you pulled at idle with the PCV hooked up on a closed ( not open to atmosphere )crankcase?

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 03:12 PM

Quote:

Just curious - do you remember how much vacuum you pulled at idle with the PCV hooked up on a closed ( not open to atmosphere )crankcase?

This is dependant on the cam being used. In my case with a stick car, I pull 9" at 1200rpm(idle). One thing to remember. Any negative pressure is better than a positive pressure in the crankcase.

Re: Crank case evac - 02/10/10 03:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is dependant on the cam being used. In my case with a stick car, I pull 9" at 1200rpm(idle). One thing to remember. Any negative pressure is better than a positive pressure in the crankcase.

10-4 that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums