Moparts

I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics

Posted By: Quicksilver440

I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 02:57 AM

Well...I recieved my new bolt in aluminum fuel tank a few days ago from Hot Rod City Garage. I've never heard about these before stumbling on them a month or so ago...and could find no feedback or anyone who had tried one but decided to take a chance since it wouldn't cost that much more than a new stock tank, a new pickup and a sump kit and I would still have to weld it in.

It was either:

Stock Canadian repo tank $220
1/2" pickup $135
Sump kit $65
Total: $420+ ?shipping

Or

Aluminum tank $350
Sender $25
add sump and all fittings where
I wanted them $25
Total:$400+$42 shipping

My initial thoughts when opening the box was it was nicely made...the Tig welds looked good and everything was located just how I requested it. Also looking into the tank it was fully baffled and the sump had several 1"+/- holes between it and the main tank to let fuel in but help keep it there on launch. Overall...it looks real nice for the money, and it bolted right in using the stock straps with zero hassel. I havn't put the filler tube in yet....so that part I have no opinion on yet. Here's some pics:

Posted By: blown572dart

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 03:17 AM

Looks really nice
Posted By: Jamey

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 03:19 AM

I've been waiting to see the results. That is a nice looking tank, and a decent price. I may go that route with my 71 barracuda when I start working on it. Glad to see you're satisfied. Jamey
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 03:20 AM

The out side looks good, whats inside and is that a
2" filler tube on it to mount up to your 2" filler
and is that going to fit your existing area and mounts

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 03:47 AM

Yep...the 2" tube is to mate up with the stock filler tube. I tried to take pics through the ports...but it was hard to do. It bolted up perfectly...(I havn't messed with tube yet)Here's a few more:

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 03:53 AM

Quote:

Yep...the 2" tube is to mate up with the stock filler tube. I tried to take pics through the ports...but it was hard to do. It bolted up perfectly...(I havn't messed with tube yet)Here's a few more:

So is it the same capacity as a stock tank?

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 03:55 AM

Here's the type of baffling thats inside (this one doesn't show a sump)....and it is 19 gallons...the same size as the stock tank.

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 04:03 AM

Quote:

Here's the type of baffling thats inside (this one doesn't show a sump)....and it is 19 gallons...the same size as the stock tank.

When I was making fuel tanks for Chrysler I use to
make a baffle or baffles with a extruded hole in the
baffle to give it strength..... but your set up looks
great

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 05:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

When I was making fuel tanks for Chrysler I use to
make a baffle or baffles with a extruded hole in the
baffle to give it strength..... but your set up looks
great

Thanks...I appreciate your input and experience....I know very little about this really.

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 05:10 AM

Quote:

Looks really nice

Thank you sir...especially as nice as your car is..
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 05:16 AM

That looks like a very nice piece Rob..I am also working on my fuel system. Your fuel cell wouldn't give my fuel cell the time of day..LOL..

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 05:29 AM

Quote:

That looks like a very nice piece Rob..I am also working on my fuel system. Your fuel cell wouldn't give my fuel cell the time of day..LOL..

LOL... ....I like that it keeps my trunk free for out of town trips, suitcases and strollers and the like...plus I don't have to install sheetmetal to seperate the trunk from passenger compartment.

I'm going to go ahead and plumb in my new aeromotive pump and return style regulator too...
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 05:29 AM

Quote:

Well...I recieved my new bolt in aluminum fuel tank a few days ago from Hot Rod City Garage. I've never heard about these before stumbling on them a month or so ago...and could find no feedback or anyone who had tried one but decided to take a chance since it wouldn't cost that much more than a new stock tank, a new pickup and a sump kit and I would still have to weld it in.

Are these the ones that are made or sold locally in So Cal? I spotted a guy selling them at the Long Beach or Pomona Swap meet and he came out to the last Fall Fling in the swap area. He said he made them. But you never know when people tell you that.

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 05:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Are these the ones that are made or sold locally in So Cal? I spotted a guy selling them at the Long Beach or Pomona Swap meet and he came out to the last Fall Fling in the swap area. He said he made them. But you never know when people tell you that.

Yep....he's from San Bernardino....I'm sure it's the same guy.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 05:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep....he's from San Bernardino....I'm sure it's the same guy.

How'd you find out about him? I think he sells A-body and other body style aluminum tanks also. Does he have a website?

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 05:56 AM

Here's the website...they make A body, and B-body tanks too...

http://www.hotrodcitygarage.com/indexA.html

I found out about them on a Moparts sponsers website:
http://www.jimkellemsmotorsports.com/

They mentioned that they are a dealer for them....but since I wanted to customize mine...I just ordered from the source to make sure it was done the way I wanted it.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..p - 02/08/10 06:38 AM

Looks like nice stuff.....
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..p - 02/08/10 05:26 PM

I was considering doing this same thing with my Challenger but trying to figure out how to do it without the low mount rear facing sump somehow due to wheel standing issues. Not allowed to use sissy bars ( I mean wheelie bars) in our local Heads Ups series. I don't want to take all of this out or worse yet cause a fire or explosion.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 08:48 PM

that is nice, I like it.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 09:12 PM

I LIKE IT TOO
Posted By: 383man

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 10:31 PM

That looks real nice. I want one. Ron
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 10:46 PM

very very nice, it looks much deeper than a stock gas tank, am i wrong, it seems to sit pretty low.
Posted By: Tig

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/08/10 10:52 PM

Nice looking piece
What are the two fittings for near the filler neck? Return and vent lines?

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/09/10 12:00 AM

Quote:

Nice looking piece
What are the two fittings for near the filler neck? Return and vent lines?

Yep..return and vent fittings...

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/09/10 12:02 AM

Quote:

very very nice, it looks much deeper than a stock gas tank, am i wrong, it seems to sit pretty low.

I'll have to measure to know exactly....but it sits a little lower because it doesn't have the grooves on top to mesh with the trunk floor.
Posted By: Stroked65Belv

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/09/10 03:45 AM

I had just called MotorCity Garage today about a tank. He seemed very informative and helpful to my needs. The only thing was he needs my stock/orig tank from my 65 Belv. to match up. he even offtered to pay the shipping back for me. Seems like a stand up guy and obviously his work shows he does it well. Trust me the prices are well worth it for what you have done.
I had a tank modified with a sump 2 years ago. Its ok but cannot get the full useage of it due to the sump being mounted to high.
Im going to have to call him back and go for it.
All you 65 B body guys. Ill be the donar car!

Attached picture 5792412-65Belvedere.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/09/10 04:01 AM

Looks really nice..............been thinking about an alum. cell for the dart.

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/09/10 05:23 AM

Quote:

I had just called MotorCity Garage today about a tank. He seemed very informative and helpful to my needs. The only thing was he needs my stock/orig tank from my 65 Belv. to match up. he even offtered to pay the shipping back for me. Seems like a stand up guy and obviously his work shows he does it well. Trust me the prices are well worth it for what you have done.
I had a tank modified with a sump 2 years ago. Its ok but cannot get the full useage of it due to the sump being mounted to high.
Im going to have to call him back and go for it.
All you 65 B body guys. Ill be the donar car!

Clean car....
Posted By: keefe

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/14/10 05:59 PM

Quicksilver that looks Nice,I hope to call them this week for an A-body version with sump.
Keefe
Posted By: sycboi

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/14/10 06:36 PM

I just conversed with him all this week. Getting my A-body tank details sorted. Easy to work with and quick responses. I can't wait!

-Michael
Posted By: GTXX

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/14/10 08:57 PM

HotRod City Garage has really nice website! just looking at it for a minute and saw something that made me say WTPh! on the link to A & B tanks it says they are made from .009 5052 aluminum, just a wee bit thin.... other links show .090 thick. If their price holds out, I may own one someday too.
Posted By: Devilbrad

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 02/14/10 09:07 PM

That's a nice looking tank! Just sent my friend Jennie a link to that as she needs to replace her crappy 10 gallon cell and hacked up floor with something safer. Anybody have stock A Body tank straps laying around?
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..p - 02/14/10 09:59 PM

Quote:

HotRod City Garage has really nice website! just looking at it for a minute and saw something that made me say WTPh! on the link to A & B tanks it says they are made from .009 5052 aluminum, just a wee bit thin.... other links show .090 thick. If their price holds out, I may own one someday too.

Hello,

Cannot be 0.009 thick. Those type of welds would not exist. Probable a typo. Great appearing product. Price is super. Me likey.

Damon

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..p - 02/14/10 11:19 PM

Yep...they are .090 thick. It was nice ordering something that actually fit like it was supposed to...bolted right in and they sumped it and put all the fittings just like I requested to be placed. Plus I had it in about a week and a half.

One thing I wish could be improved was I had to cut the filler tube and attach with the hose they provided. Not a huge deal....but it was a pain to get the hose on the filler tube (tight fit). And the stock type floor gasket had to be slit a lot to fit over the hoses increased diameter. But it did turn out just fine as this tank will never be installed on a car that needs to look perfectly stock.
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..p - 05/12/11 12:48 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I am at the fuel systems crossroads(decision time) for my '69 Charger and have been comtemplating this tank. Do you have anymore pic's of it fromt the back of the car? Can the sump be reversed so the AN lines wouldn't be seen fromt the back of the car? Sorry for the bombardment of questions on an old thread, but thinking really hard on this tank.

Thanks as Always,
Darren
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..pics - 05/12/11 01:42 AM

Rob, very impressive. Great choice. Looks killer..

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..p - 05/12/11 02:47 AM

Quote:

I know this is an old thread, but I am at the fuel systems crossroads(decision time) for my '69 Charger and have been comtemplating this tank. Do you have anymore pic's of it fromt the back of the car? Can the sump be reversed so the AN lines wouldn't be seen fromt the back of the car? Sorry for the bombardment of questions on an old thread, but thinking really hard on this tank.

Thanks as Always,
Darren

Darren,

I'm not at home right now...so I will have to check my pics at home to see if I have more.
But, they will reverse the sump or custom do it however you want. I told him exactly where I wanted my sump, and he built it that way. The problem with putting the fittings toward the front (for me anyways) is they would come real close to hitting my Dana 60 rearend.
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: I put my new bolt-in Aluminum fuel tank in today..p - 05/12/11 10:09 PM

Thanks so much, and that makes sense as I have a Dana 60 also. Looking forward to those pic's.
© 2024 Moparts Forums