Moparts

To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question

Posted By: Steve Reynolds

To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 05:33 PM

Time to freshen up the 440 in the Demon.
Specs.440+.030 12.5 Ross pistons, Eagle rods,440 steel crank,Eddy RPMs polished up, Comp roller,H.S. rockers. 727 mvb, 3800 convertor, 4.30 gear in an 8&3/4. 29 tall, 12 wide Hoosier slicks. Demon is fully dressed w/me in it weighs 3650lbs, w/my wife driving 130lbs less. Car had been running 10.30s until severe over fueling happened & slowed to 10.5s to 10.70s. Washed the rings out, I'm in the process of rebuilding & am in the need for more advice on a Girdle.
Thanks, Steve
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 06:03 PM

i like my chenoweth girdle. simple install, and got rid of the cap walk i was plagued by.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 06:14 PM

Quote:

i like my chenoweth girdle. simple install, and got rid of the cap walk i was plagued by.

My Bottom end looks a lot better. Beware of knock offs. I don't think they work as well
Posted By: blowndart

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 06:42 PM

Do these do anything for a hemi, or are they a waste of time?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 06:47 PM

Is it a race only engine? If so, you might consider aluminum rods rather than the girdle. And maybe increase the compression ratio. If you're already buying race gas might as well step up to 14:1 or something like that.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 07:01 PM

I played it as safe as I could with my motor... Aluminum rods BCR girdle and aluminum caps. I couldnt afford a heavy duty KB or INDY lowdeck, and were gonna try to keep it together above 1000hp....
Posted By: mike s

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 07:15 PM

There are some minor drawbacks but with your combo I would use the girdle.
Posted By: mac56

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 09:17 PM

Quote:

Stock caps?
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 09:33 PM

yup
Posted By: wyoming

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 10:15 PM

I'm in the process of checking bearings ect in my motor, 493 CU, Indy SR home ported, make enough steam to run 10.4 at 4300' elevation 3740 lbs. Anyway motor was built 4 years ago, right at 300 passes, I insatlled a Chenoweth when building the motor, I had just a little sign of cap walk, on my old motor making about 100 less HP, I'd allways have a substancial amount of capwalk, quite a bit of metal transfer. I do believe the girdle has helped.
Posted By: CRE2004

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 11:10 PM

I've got a Chenoweth girdle as well Come to think of it, I got a rack full of them
Posted By: moparniac

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 11:14 PM

I ran a chenowith in my old challenger
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 11:25 PM

I like my chenoweth girdle. simple install, and slow down most of the cap walk I had. stock caps also.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/04/10 11:34 PM

Quote:

I like my chenoweth girdle. simple install, and slow down most of the cap walk I had. stock caps also.

X2 but i was making800+HP.
Posted By: blownEFI

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/05/10 12:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

X3
Posted By: rowin4

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/05/10 12:18 AM

BCR girdle with aluminum cap kit is the only way to go.
Looked so good I hated to put on the oil pan.

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/05/10 01:58 AM

Just reread my specs compression is 13.5
sorry, yes race fuel only
Steve

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/05/10 02:02 AM

Yes, stock caps & bolts & some signs of cap walk.
Steve

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/05/10 02:06 AM

Quote:

Is it a race only engine? If so, you might consider aluminum rods rather than the girdle. And maybe increase the compression ratio. If you're already buying race gas might as well step up to 14:1 or something like that.

Had aluminum rods years ago don't like changing them after 100 passes or less, but the rods were in an 8500-9000 rpm engine & 4 speed
Steve

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/05/10 02:08 AM

Quote:

BCR girdle with aluminum cap kit is the only way to go.
Looked so good I hated to put on the oil pan.

I thought I read where BCR is out of business?
Steve
Posted By: rowin4

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/05/10 04:01 AM

I think what Greg said was he was going to devote more time to his other business. Look up BCR Products under the User List and send him a pm.

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/05/10 10:28 AM

Quote:

I think what Greg said was he was going to devote more time to his other business. Look up BCR Products under the User List and send him a pm.

I stand corrected, read too much into his post about the girdle business.
Steve

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/05/10 10:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

X3

Ok, Chenoweth & BCR have been recomended, what about Hughes, Mancini or any others. From the small amount I have read Chenoweth, Hughes, & Mancini all seem the same except price & maybe availability. Of these 3 what's the difference?
Steve
Posted By: mac56

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/05/10 11:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

X3

Ok, Chenoweth & BCR have been recomended, what about Hughes, Mancini or any others. From the small amount I have read Chenoweth, Hughes, & Mancini all seem the same except price & maybe availability. Of these 3 what's the difference?
Steve

I believe Diablo used a hughes set up on his 496 when it was in his pull truck. I thought he said that helped with the cracked web problems he had before installing one.
Posted By: 47hudson

Re: To Girdle OR Not To Girdle, that is the question - 02/05/10 01:38 PM

We run a Hughes girdle and have noticed less signs of cap walk since installing it.

Attached picture 5783987-090725_134455.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums