Moparts

Oil Accumulator users right here

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 12:35 AM

OK
I hate to say this but I need to get in gear and get this stuff in.. Time is starting to catch up, and 3 months isnt that long really...
I plan to run a oil accumulator. I have NOT run one in the past. Im looking at the Canton's cause the match my paint LOL..

I would really like a electric valve control. I know some of these from what I understand doesn't open fast, and for pre-oiling only...Well I don't want that kind and I know to watch out when buying.
So right now Im looking at the 20-25 LBS electric valves style? Should I choose a diff one? At least a two quart version maybe three?
Also
How did you plumb these into your oil supply?
I have duel line system that uses a spin on filter. I was thinking there was a sandwich filter adapter available. It would be the easiest to plumb, I plan to mount the accumulator in front of the radiator, so a short line through the rad support down low will keep everything neat and uncluttered.
So if anyone here uses the manual valve, how do you like it?
If anyone has a part number on a adapter that would be great..I dont know if the oil cooler adapters will work or not?
This block has a oil port near the front of the block, but I am using it for one of the duel line system ports. I dont know how well this would work plumbing it to one of the oil galleys in the back of the block...Not to mention the clutter of having a probably a minimal -8AN line and probably needs a -10 really.

This valve
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-24-271/
This accumulator
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-24-006/
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 01:51 AM

I have a Master Lube I have it plumed in on the outer cover of the oil pump where the line from the oil pan hooks up.I have it going in on the top side of pump.I think the oil pump is better than on the back of block.I have the tank mounted on the deflecter plate(back of seat).
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 02:22 AM

Quote:

...I think the oil pump is better than on the back of block.I have the tank mounted on the deflecter plate(back of seat).

I disagree, respectfully. Any time I have seen an oiling problem where an accumulator would help IMO, it has been in the rear of the engine. You be forcing cooler, higher pressure, unaerated oil backward thru the system thru a shorter path to trouble prone areas.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 02:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

...I think the oil pump is better than on the back of block.I have the tank mounted on the deflecter plate(back of seat).

I disagree, respectfully. Any time I have seen an oiling problem where an accumulator would help IMO, it has been in the rear of the engine. You be forcing cooler, higher pressure, unaerated oil backward thru the system thru a shorter path to trouble prone areas.

Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 03:39 AM

I run a Moroso 3 qt accumulator with Moroso's electric solenoid valve, Indy billet pump cover with spin on filter adapter, to a single swinging pick up.
I have the valve on a 3 position switch. 0N/OFF/ON momentary. I flip the momentary on to prime engine and flip the switch to "on" before I stage the car.
While the switch is in the off position and the car is running, the engine will pressurize the accumulator to the highest oil pressure the engine sees. Then it is ready to prime the next start up.
I have the line plumbed into the filter adapter on the Indy pump cover.
I really like the priming aspect of it.

Attached picture 5780637-HC09.jpg
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 03:53 AM

I am installing a canton 3 qt this week using the electric valve with the 20-25 psi switch I am pluming it into my remote filter.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 03:59 AM

I have a milodon remote filter cover plate set up. The 3qt.accusump is plumbed with a #8 line and tee's in where the out going filter line goes into the pump/block . I have the electric valve that will fluctuate with the pressure so it is open when the ignition switch is on. I don't know why someone would want to wait until their oil pressure dropped to 20-25 lbs before the valve would open. But thats me. Mine is mounted on the front frame stiffening pipe. electric valves can be bought off e-bay from valve venders for a fraction of what canton or moroso sell theirs for. Just make sure it's sized correctly and rated for temp and oil.

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 04:25 AM

OK
the duel line system I am running uses this fitting on the block to provide on of the lines to the swinging pickup in the pan. (other is coming from the pump cover..
Anyways
Can I just add a T here? one still going to the swinging pickup as before, but the other going to the accumulator?

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 05:17 AM

Like mine, I believe that port supplies the oil to the pump. If by chance your pump failed. the oil from the accumilator would seek the easiest path and that would be back to the pan. I'm going to use a similar remote filter as I have now on my hemi.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 05:20 AM

Like stated above using fitting will most likely result in oil just going to the pan period. Use the one on the back of the block, easy way that works. Or use the filter housing if going remote. I use the filter mount on the B1 on my Hemi I went with the nack of the block.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/04/10 06:51 AM

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 08:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

have the electric valve that will fluctuate with the pressure so it is open when the ignition switch is on. I don't know why someone would want to wait until their oil pressure dropped to 20-25 lbs before the valve would open. But thats

I am using a 4 PORT filter base plumbed into the same side as th oil returns to block.
CHEAPER VALVE
web page

wow Fred
You just saved me a butt load of money...that place has electric valves (Viton) for under $40
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 02:06 PM

We use Moroso 3 qt with electric selinoids.Mine and others are plumbed into the fitting on the Indy cover plate and feeds the block.Don's and Pap Ross'is plumbed to their remote oil filter housing.
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 03:13 PM

I have mine plumbed into the remote oil filter as well. I actually mounted mine in the windshield washer well. Its a tight squeeze but it fits and you don't even know it is there unless you notice the hose coming through the firewall.
Posted By: Aero426

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 03:16 PM

Can someone post a photo of where it should be plumbed on the back of the block?

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 05:06 PM

Is this a oil galley feed? Sure looks like it. And looks like it goes right to the cam,and mains in a hurry?

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/04/10 11:47 PM

I looked at that port on my block but didn't investigate where it went. Put some air to it and let us know. There should be 2 tapped holes at the top rear of the block for the other oil feeds.

Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/05/10 12:43 AM

Is there enough meat on the rear 2 oil ports to tap one larger for the Accusump feed line??I just don't see that little orifice being able to flow enough oil to save my junk in the event of oil pump failure
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/05/10 12:57 AM

Quote:

I looked at that port on my block but didn't investigate where it went. Put some air to it and let us know. There should be 2 tapped holes at the top rear of the block for the other oil feeds.

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/05/10 01:55 AM

Quote:

I will let you know this weekend. It appears to be a 1/4 NPT, and if you look close there is one in the same galley line on the side of the block..
But as Cab said will a little 1/4 NPT flow enough oil to help? I say yes I bet the 1/4 npt measures near 1/2" in diameter or close..And looks like it goes straight to were its needed. Instead as mentioned going through a filter then through the block finding the mains and rods..
Now I dont see why a -12AN would even be needed going to these small NPT ports. I might just go with -8AN which would be idea for the 1/4 NPT...I dont know if they even make 1/4 NPT to -12 or -10 AN adapters.
The -8AN line and setup would carry the fluid longer, and for more of a time duration, thats for sure.

I might just be a Guinna pig and try this accumulator in this fashion..
Mount it in front of the radiator support, this would use a couple of 90's and a short 2' foot or so -8 hose to the port on the side of the block with another 90°....

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/05/10 02:08 AM

Let me get this straight, without pressure switched valves the only thing controlling when the oil flows from the accumulator is when the equilibrium or pressure in the engine drops below the pre set (added) pressure acting on the piston correct?

So seems you would want this, atleast my self to start working around 40 psi...But then at idle this thing would be discharging, so maybe ideally you would want it say 5 psi below idle oil pressure ta avoid Reset Windup..if your familiar with this instrumentation term..

These valves sure are cheap, here is a Viton seal for harsh fluids etc.. $100 cheaper than the electric valves provided by Canton, and Moroso
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/05/10 03:37 AM

The accumilator has a o-ringed piston inside that is pushed back up against air that you add at the other end, like 10psi. When you your engine will normally need it is possibly a wheel stand or at shut down when oil may be drawn away from the oil pick up in the pan. At those times the accumilator will be full at max oil pressure because of the high rpm's. If needed the accumilator will keep the oil flowing until the oil pump picks up oil again. If something breaks , it will continue flow for maybe 30 seconds. I bought a low pressure warning light for mine , yet to put it on, but it would catch your eye faster than a gage. I think thats the valve I bought, can't look at it as I sent it to michigan for the 70 cuda. Where did you get need #12 line from, the accumilator comes out 1/2" pipe thread. I can see no reason to run a larger line for a short distance.

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/05/10 04:04 AM

the electric valve I have if it has power to it it is very hard to push fuild through it back into the accumulator if you turn it off it flows easy that is the reason for the pressure switch so it turns off the valve to refill the accusump when pressure in engine is up.

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/05/10 04:23 AM

Instructions on Cantons web site...it calls for minimal of -10 for 2 & 3 quart models and larger for some applications.
IDK...
You think it plumbing into a filter, or remote oil cooler setup, it might need the larger volume as some of this might end up back in the pan etc..
It talks about the diff on adapters on Cantons web site, and says its suppose to be a Oil Input sandwich adapter, rather than use a oil cooler adapter.

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/05/10 04:34 AM

Quote:

the electric valve I have if it has power to it it is very hard to push fuild through it back into the accumulator if you turn it off it flows easy that is the reason for the pressure switch so it turns off the valve to refill the accusump when pressure in engine is up.

You have the standard valve, and is not design for rapid/sudden oil pressure loss. You need the EPC valve...
Standard valve
The standard electric valve is designed to slowly refill after any oil discharge and is ideal for 'daily drivers', boats, or an RVs. The electric valve can be opened and closed from a remote dash-mounted switch or it can be wired directly into the ignition so it will open and close automatically when the ignition is in the 'on' or the 'off' position. For high performance applications that require rapid refill and constant discharges we recommend the EPC electric valve listed below.

EPC Valve
For those looking for the convenience of an electric valve and the fast refill rate required in racing applications our (electric pressure control) E.P.C. electric valves are recommended. The pressure control system keeps the electric valve in the off position during times of normal oil pressure. With the valve in the off position it is able to quickly recharge the Accusump with oil pressure after discharge, thus being ready for the next oil surge. When the engine's oil pressure drops below the EPC Valve's preset level the valve opens and releases the stored oil in to the system. Like our standard electric valve the EPC valve can be wired to a remote dash-mounted switch or can be wired directly into the ignition so it will turn on and off automatically when the ignition is in the 'on' or the 'off' position.

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/05/10 04:40 AM

I have the Canton on the 67 barracuda, Moroso on the 70, both look identical. When I got it I read all the info but still didn't like the restriction of going thru a filter when oil was needed NOW!
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 02/05/10 08:11 AM

Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/05/10 12:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have the Canton on the 67 barracuda, Moroso on the 70, both look identical. When I got it I read all the info but still didn't like the restriction of going thru a filter when oil was needed NOW!

NOW ? it's the same route all the oil took.How slow do you think 60 lb of pressure moves in a small passageway
then T it on the line [/quote

Plumb it into the out> port on the remote filter housing or the top plug fitting on the Indy cover plate.The larger 1/4 fitting at the back of the block will flow a massive amont of oil.Put a line into a can and spin the pump,you will be surprised.We have seen unique set-ups where it is plumbed internally at the main galley feeding the engine behind the timmimg cover and balkhead fitted at the feul pump cover plate and connected to the accusump(mostly on stock car racing engines)It's not worth the effort if you want my opinion.Fiter,pump cover or rear engine is the simplest.

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/05/10 03:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You have the standard valve, and is not design for rapid/sudden oil pressure loss. You need the EPC valve...
Standard valve
The standard electric valve is designed to slowly refill after any oil discharge and is ideal for 'daily drivers', boats, or an RVs. The electric valve can be opened and closed from a remote dash-mounted switch or it can be wired directly into the ignition so it will open and close automatically when the ignition is in the 'on' or the 'off' position. For high performance applications that require rapid refill and constant discharges we recommend the EPC electric valve listed below.

EPC Valve
For those looking for the convenience of an electric valve and the fast refill rate required in racing applications our (electric pressure control) E.P.C. electric valves are recommended. The pressure control system keeps the electric valve in the off position during times of normal oil pressure. With the valve in the off position it is able to quickly recharge the Accusump with oil pressure after discharge, thus being ready for the next oil surge. When the engine's oil pressure drops below the EPC Valve's preset level the valve opens and releases the stored oil in to the system. Like our standard electric valve the EPC valve can be wired to a remote dash-mounted switch or can be wired directly into the ignition so it will turn on and off automatically when the ignition is in the 'on' or the 'off' position.

Incorrect I have the EPC valve part # 24-271 right from Canton

Re: Oil Accumulator users right here - 02/05/10 03:10 PM

also spoke with Chris and he explanded the electric valve is the same the reason to add the pressure switch in the EPC kit is it turns off the valve so it can refill rapitly
© 2024 Moparts Forums