Moparts

Main Fuel line size

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 09:37 PM

What size fuel line are you running from the fuel cell pump/filter to the regulator in the front?...
I was thinking -8AN but who runs -10AN?
This is BG 280 fuel pump by the way and needs to feed 800+hp..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 09:47 PM

you need to run -10an to the regulatorfrom the pump. i run a -8an back to the cell from the return.

Attached picture 5779577-63PLYMOUTHFUELSYSTEM,RETURN004.JPG

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 09:48 PM

heres a picture of the return back to the cell.

Attached picture 5779583-63PLYMOUTHFUELSYSTEM,RETURN007.JPG
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 09:59 PM

I use a Magnafuel 300 pump now,(street and strip car) Magnafuel wants a #10 feed to the pump from the cell, # 8 return line from the pump to the cell and a #8 to the front to the regulator I would call BG and ask them what size to use on there pump BTW, I had two of the BG280(not for street use according to BG) and sold them to freinds who have race only cars and they use 1/2(#8) aluminmum hard line to the front from there pumps
Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 10:03 PM

I have a BG HR220 and I use a -10 suction, a -8 feed to the regulator at the carb and a -10 return. BG wants a larger return line and a generous suction line. You can hurt a pump's output more by restriction the suction.

Attached picture 5779613-FUELPUMP2.JPG
Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 10:04 PM

Attached picture 5779615-17.JPG
Posted By: chryco

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 10:09 PM

-12 from the cell to the pump, then -10 to the reg, and -8 to the carb . NO problems.........
Chryco

Attached picture 5779627-IMG_2530.jpg

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 10:11 PM

More .......

Feeding a 557" RBRE / KB Hemi .

Attached picture 5779632-IMG_2189.jpg

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 10:35 PM

Im just wondering if -10 is overkill..I have a long section of -8AN hose and some fittings. I know on the dragster I ran -8AN running alky/methonal and it was what I would consider a pretty high demand system...it burnt 2 1/2 gallons of fuel per 8th mile run.

So how does one draw the line? Does duel carbs make a diff?

According to BG the 280 Pump doesnt require a return, which is fine by me. It says a -10 to from the fuel cell to the inlet of the pump, then -8 to the regulator..
I have the pump and there two port regulator, I wont be running there fuel filter..I will be running a earls 85 micron stainless mesh type filter.

http://www.barrygrant.com/bgfuel/default.aspx?page=85
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 11:10 PM

Lots of people claim too big of a main feed line can be detrimental. More mass of fuel and a larger cross sectional area in the line for the G forces to act on.

Everybody I know personally in SG and SC runs a -12 from the cell to pump; -10 pump to front and -8 if they have a return line. I ran a BG 280 for about 8 years at mid nines in my charger with -8 line to the front and -8 return line back to the cell. Last year I switched to the BG 400 with -12 to the pump, -10 to the front and just the short bypass from the pump to the cell. Never showed any signs of fuel starvation running 8.9 - 9.0

I did the 1 gallon gas can test on my car with no alternator, just 12.4 volts at the pump and it filled the can in about 12 seconds going through the regulators, right at the carb inlets.

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 11:22 PM

MY 581 hemi has a BG 280 and i run a -10an to the pump from the cell and -8an from the pump to the regulator with no bypass but i was going to take it out and go to the -10an up to the regulator. going 9.79 now. im wondering if ill pick up with the bigger line, no sure if im starving the motor, im also going to a product engineering pump.

Attached picture 5779782-65PLYMOUTHHEMIINTERIOR,ENGINECOMPARTMENT,KELLYSINJURY065.JPG

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 11:27 PM

this is my old setup which you might be going to.

Attached picture 5779793-63plymouthmaxwedgeatATCO4.26.09588.jpg
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 11:45 PM

Now you guys got me thinking I can use my existing 1/2" and -8 going from the pump to the reg and just jump it to a -10 from the cell to the pump.

That would be nice.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/03/10 11:58 PM

Do the fuel can test then you'll know. 10 second ET needs to fill the can in 25 seconds. 9 sec. need to fill the can in 20

I think you should be good to go.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 12:01 AM

I'll definatly run that test before I shell out any I don't have anyway.
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 12:31 AM

Quote:

Do the fuel can test then you'll know. 10 second ET needs to fill the can in 25 seconds. 9 sec. need to fill the can in 20

I think you should be good to go.

9 sec et requires 180 gph , 8 sec et 240 gph , do we tend to over kill on fuel pump flow? , some guys run 400gph pumps , that's 10 sec to fill a gallon can , i realise G force comes into this but i still think it's overkill.
Posted By: orangeduster

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 01:09 AM

Quote:

-12 from the cell to the pump, then -10 to the reg, and -8 to the carb . NO problems.........
Chryco

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 02:03 AM

Quote:

Lots of people claim too big of a main feed line can be detrimental. More mass of fuel and a larger cross sectional area in the line for the G forces to act on.

Everybody I know personally in SG and SC runs a -12 from the cell to pump; -10 pump to front and -8 if they have a return line. I ran a BG 280 for about 8 years at mid nines in my charger with -8 line to the front and -8 return line back to the cell. Last year I switched to the BG 400 with -12 to the pump, -10 to the front and just the short bypass from the pump to the cell. Never showed any signs of fuel starvation running 8.9 - 9.0

I did the 1 gallon gas can test on my car with no alternator, just 12.4 volts at the pump and it filled the can in about 12 seconds going through the regulators, right at the carb inlets.

How did it flow down the course ? Did you consider g-force ? Bigger is better here too .
Food for thought.
Chryco

Attached picture 5780337-IMG_5772.jpg
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 02:17 AM

Quote:

those people are flat wrong and don't understand the mechanics of fluids. the diameter of the line has no impact on the force imparted by acceleration, the effective length of the line does. the pressure exerted on a column of fluid would be SG (specific gravity) x .433 (PSI exerted by a 12" column of water) x distance from suction to feed x G force. the actual length of the line to some extent doesn't matter. an example would be say you have 15' of hose but 5' is taken up in bends. then the effective length would be 10'. so .725 x .433 x 10' x (say 2G) = 6.28 PSI. this is the pressure the pump would have to overcome to move fluid and is part of the reason to mount the regulator at the engine. most (decent) pumps have the ability to generate a fair bit, probably upwards of 20 PSI or so. i would say the VAST majority of our cars don't pull 2G for any length of time if at all. a TF dragster pulls around 4 off the line but actually pulls harder down track.
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 02:23 AM

Quote:

you need to run -10an to the regulatorfrom the pump. i run a -8an back to the cell from the return.

X2

Attached picture 5780393-garagepics021.JPG
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 02:26 AM

Attached picture 5780403-atco2.jpg

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 02:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

those people are flat wrong and don't understand the mechanics of fluids. the diameter of the line has no impact on the force imparted by acceleration, the effective length of the line does. the pressure exerted on a column of fluid would be SG (specific gravity) x .433 (PSI exerted by a 12" column of water) x distance from suction to feed x G force. the actual length of the line to some extent doesn't matter. an example would be say you have 15' of hose but 5' is taken up in bends. then the effective length would be 10'. so .725 x .433 x 10' x (say 2G) = 6.28 PSI. this is the pressure the pump would have to overcome to move fluid and is part of the reason to mount the regulator at the engine. most (decent) pumps have the ability to generate a fair bit, probably upwards of 20 PSI or so. i would say the VAST majority of our cars don't pull 2G for any length of time if at all. a TF dragster pulls around 4 off the line but actually pulls harder down track.

Good points james.
I would think that the most it would do would slow down for a split second, and then this would never effect total amount delivered, let alone effect the generous amount of fuel supply in the fuel bowls, thats waiting to be emulsified.

If you want to worry about loss, look into the amount of friction loss in 90° bends...I forget the amount of loss occurred through that one 90° that can never be gained no matter what size line it runs to...its like 1800+ or something...crazy..

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 02:36 AM

Quote:

9 sec et requires 180 gph , 8 sec et 240 gph

i don't know where these numbers come from.

a general rule of thumb is .5 PPH (pounds per hour) per horsepower. as mentioned the SG of race fuel is around .725. a gallon of water (SG of 1) weighs around 8.35 pounds. 8.35 x .725 = 6.05. so a gallon of race fuel is about 6 pounds. an 800 HP engine will need about 400 PPH of fuel. 400 divided by 6.05 = 66.11 gallons per hour for 800 HP. an actual 180 GPH of fuel will feed 2000 HP.

on another note let's face it racers are in love with their fuel systems. big manly pumps, -12 lines, half a dozen regulators...all trying to jam fuel through two (or four for dual carbs) .110" orifices, THAT'S where the restriction is the needle and seat.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 02:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

a general rule of thumb is .5 PPH (pounds per hour) per horsepower. as mentioned the SG of race fuel is around .725. a gallon of water (SG of 1) weighs around 8.35 pounds. 8.35 x .725 = 6.05. so a gallon of race fuel is about 6 pounds. an 800 HP engine will need about 400 PPH of fuel. 400 divided by 6.05 = 66.11 gallons per hour for 800 HP. an actual 180 GPH of fuel will feed 2000 HP.

The SAE standard on fuel (gasoline) consumption is based on steady state operation, not acceleration of the motor like drag racing, I believe The thing I come back to on fuel delivery(volume) on drag race cars with catburetors is that you don't have enough fuel delivery if you can't richen the mixture up enough to slow the MPH down in the 1/4. We tend to forget that where trying to force (push) fuel thru a .120 size needle and seats, if we buy the good racing size needles and seats Any one ever try to do a fuel flow tests thru the needles and seats into a can I have That is the main reason I recommend using a way bigger fuel delivery system than most people do

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 03:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

on another note let's face it racers are in love with their fuel systems. big manly pumps, -12 lines, half a dozen regulators...all trying to jam fuel through two (or four for dual carbs) .110" orifices, THAT'S where the restriction is the needle and seat.

Line size/volume, pressure , restrictions.........all come into play , might dig the mechanal fuel pump out that delivers 80 gph , should be enough to feed the 600" .

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 03:04 AM

Ask HillBilly Conquest How fast he has been with his 10 year old Holley blue? He skipped the 10, bypassed the 9's and landed in the 8's..This is a stock stroke 440 with a set of nice Indy heads.

I know a gravity feed fuel cell feeding through -8AN fuel line (belt driven pump) with a -8AN return is good for 144MPH in the 8th with 1 second flat short times. I wonder what kind of pressure head I would be looking at with that setup...

about 18 inches from the pump inlet to the top of the fuel cell, figure this would be full.

that would be

.433 x 1.5 =.6495 lbs this would be water pressure..so SG of fuel is what .75-.8 so....right at 1/2 lbs of head pressure.
Does anyone know flow rate?
Can figure out the gallons per hour as the pumps are rated for this?

Figure 1.75 gallon, perfect world, no bends or friction loss for a 1/2 tube at this pressure using 1.75 gallon for a 8th mile run taking 10 seconds?

This should cover burn out and a 4.7 second pass.

From this we would know at least a -8AN line will feed this X amount of fuel in gallons per hour.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 03:24 AM

I run 2 -10 to a pair of 150 black Holley's then 1 -10
forward to the reg then -8 to the carb with a -8 return
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 04:38 AM

#8 from the cell to the filter/pump. #10 from the pump to the dead headed regulator that is mounted on the carb, two #6 lines to the carb.

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 05:21 AM

I have -12 from the cell to the pump. -10 from the pump bypass to the cell. -10 to the regulator and -6 to the carb.

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 10:06 AM

Quote:

Line size/volume, pressure , restrictions.........all come into play , might dig the mechanal fuel pump out that delivers 80 gph , should be enough to feed the 600" .

i'm fully aware of friction losses etc. i've been pumping oil for the past 15 years. IIRC Dwayne Porter's Satellite (3800#?) ran low 11's with a stock fuel system as in 5/16" line and mechanical pump. Ken Bowers runs a holley blue on his 150+ MPH 500" B1 SST Cuda. but i guess these guys don't know what they're doing.
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 12:29 PM

I run dual -8 to a weldon 2025 pump and -8 out of the pump to the front. More than enough to feed my FI procharged 547 hemi. Never an issue with fuel and I have the data logs to prove it.
I think most overkill their systems.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 12:50 PM

I think most overkill their systems.

but this is one area where I dont think
over kill hurts, plus if you build a bigger engine
down the road you wont have to buy a new fuel system...
JMO

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 09:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i'm fully aware of friction losses etc. i've been pumping oil for the past 15 years. IIRC Dwayne Porter's Satellite (3800#?) ran low 11's with a stock fuel system as in 5/16" line and mechanical pump. Ken Bowers runs a holley blue on his 150+ MPH 500" B1 SST Cuda. but i guess these guys don't know what they're doing.

Been in the plumbing & heating industry for 35 years , if you read my post you will notice i mentioned guys going overkill with their fuel systems.

Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/04/10 10:12 PM

I have a -10 from the pump to the regulator, with no return. but because your car is a different color, this set up will probably not work for you.

Attached picture 5782332-BURNOUT.JPG
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/05/10 12:33 AM

A buddy of mine ran his 540 chevy with a single holley black with a #8 line consistent 9- teens, no return line.

Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/05/10 06:27 PM

Quote:

Im just wondering if -10 is overkill..I have a long section of -8AN hose and some fittings. I know on the dragster I ran -8AN running alky/methonal and it was what I would consider a pretty high demand system...it burnt 2 1/2 gallons of fuel per 8th mile run.

So how does one draw the line? Does duel carbs make a diff?

According to BG the 280 Pump doesnt require a return, which is fine by me. It says a -10 to from the fuel cell to the inlet of the pump, then -8 to the regulator..
I have the pump and there two port regulator, I wont be running there fuel filter..I will be running a earls 85 micron stainless mesh type filter.

http://www.barrygrant.com/bgfuel/default.aspx?page=85

If you had -8 and alky, it will feed 2.2 times the hp in gasoline. -10 tank to pump, -8 to regs, -6 to bowls ought to feed a LOT of motor!
A tunnelram will require a bit less pressure, due to having twice the needles and seats. I went from a TR to a single dominter and problems showed up. My pump was hurting, but it got by till I needed the extra psi to feed only two bowls.
Posted By: TechAtBG

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/05/10 06:48 PM

Sorry guys I've been tied up this week putting our new Facebook page together so I didn't see this but looks like the majority of you have the right ideas.

Here are the recommendations we have for fuel line sizes with our pumps for optimum performance. Also try to keep any bends , 90's and such to a minimum.

BG280 -10 an feed and -8an to the regulator . This pump is rated for 650hp which also seems to be the range of the -8an line.

BG400 -12an feed and -10an to the regulator with a -8an from the bypass. This pump will feed over 1000hp.

Keep in mind every single application will be different and have different needs and what one guy gets away with 9 others may not.

Somebody will always make the argument well so and so ran xxx with a xxx pump but what would have happened if that person put a larger pump and lines on the car? In many cases we see them pick up and in others where somebody may have had to run the fuel pressure and floats up or had to put a ton of jet in they are now able to get back into a normal tuning window.

Having come from a nitrous background myself I would rather have too much fuel supply then worry whether I had enough. Erring to the big side also gives you room to grow down the road without having to change the fuel system up depending on the changes.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Main Fuel line size - 02/05/10 07:27 PM

Quote:

This is BG 280 fuel pump by the way and needs to feed 800+hp..

Some of those guys think they are feeding 2000 hp, not 800.

I really prefer hard line from the pump to the front. It has a larger inside diameter and less pressure drop due to curves in the hose.

Bob, I believe #8 line from the pump to the front (regulator) will be just fine. I do agree a return system is better than a dead-head at the regulator. When I used a carb, I ran two #8 lines from the cell to the filter/pump (Y-connection to solid line at inlet). But a #10 should be fine.

I also think putting #10 to the front is fine, just cost more and no benefit, at 800 hp.
© 2024 Moparts Forums