Moparts

Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA

Posted By: 1AARCUDA

Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 03:58 AM

Do all cars require this now, I run a lowly No E bracket car will I need one?
Posted By: 604 Hemi GTX

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 02:18 PM

How i read it any car faster than 10.90 needs the locking dip stick.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 03:27 PM

Don't worry about it until they make it a issue about you racing. Most tracks want the entry money rather than hassel over a rule made to cost their bracket racers money.
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 03:45 PM

I picked up one from Hughes. My old one was bent anyway.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 03:52 PM

Quote:

Don't worry about it until they make it a issue about you racing.

I would hate to be sent home because I didn't put a $15 dipstick on my race car. Get a GM factory one, cut to length of your old stick and be done with it.
Posted By: Hollywood

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 04:50 PM

Quote:

I would hate to be sent home because I didn't put a $15 dipstick on my race car. Get a GM factory one, cut to length of your old stick and be done with it.

Don't sweat it. It is just for cars that run 10.99 or quicker.
Posted By: sam64

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 05:16 PM

just how many times have you seen trans fluid blow out the dip stick?more likely to come out vent,i run a power-glide with engine set back,i use a lokar flex trans tube,so its not just a matter of using a gm stick.i'll fab up something to passify tech dept.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 05:21 PM

CRT has a very nice one at a reasonable price. Give John Cope a call.
Posted By: slippery440

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 05:31 PM

Jim I 100% agree with you.But in the last 10 years and 7 differant tracks both NHRA and IHRA never got sent home just warned.Mostly with outdated belts by month or 2 late in the season.Most of the time at 1/8 mile shoot outs never even looked at the car.A couple hundred cars would take all day to tech.Bottom line is the money.If every track would tech cars to 100% of the rules I would bet they would send 30 to 40 percent home.Most would not fix the problem they would just go to anouther track.
I will go to a junk yard when the weather gets better and grab a GM one for free. The track that I race at is IHRA so for now I am OK.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 06:15 PM

Thats the spirit! Don`t make your car safe and legal for your own protection just keep going to tracks until they don`t check. I agree a lot of the rules are overkill like the dipstick rule, 2 year exp on belts etc but I would rather have my car safe and legal rather than getting bounced for a little thing.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 06:31 PM

Quote:

Thats the spirit! Don`t make your car safe and legal for your own protection just keep going to tracks until they don`t check.

I don't need a track to tell me what is safe and what isn't....lol. Just because someone makes a rule, doesn't meant the rule is needed in any way, shape or form. Just look at our Government....all those laws are just there "for our own good"...right?

Seatbelts one month out of date are unsafe?, etc...
Posted By: 1AARCUDA

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 07:10 PM

Im gonna be optimistic and think someday i will make my car faster eventually and get one anyway, ,My car runs low 12's now. Thanks for all the input.

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 08:04 PM

I race every week-end during the season for points,I don`t like a lot the rules either but its their rules and if I`m going to race I have to abid, Plain and simple. Its pretty common knowledge that a lot of the rules set by the racing associations are to benefit the equipment manufacturers like seat belts etc. and their not really concerned about my safety only the $$$. Parking my racing operation because I don`t like the rules isn`t really an option for me.

Attached File

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 08:37 PM

Quote:

....Parking my racing operation because I don`t like the rules isn`t really an option for me.

I agree with you there...I will do what they make me do for items that I don't think are really a safety issue. Some things you just hav to do....

Shoot....I recently bought a 10 lbs fire system for my 11 sec street car....they don't require it, but a fuel leak or wreck could happen on any car...and I love my car too much to lose it to a fire.
Posted By: 10 o to go

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 01/30/10 11:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

....Parking my racing operation because I don`t like the rules isn`t really an option for me.

I agree with you there...I will do what they make me do for items that I don't think are really a safety issue. Some things you just hav to do....

Shoot....I recently bought a 10 lbs fire system for my 11 sec street car....they don't require it, but a fuel leak or wreck could happen on any car...and I love my car too much to lose it to a fire.

See that your from CALI no wonder why your against all those rules
TRying to ban black cars ,lead tire weights have to be phased out etc . Bottom line at the track we are on thier turf wanting to play with our toys that were built to be drove on the roads .
looks like my dipstick from my 94 truck will work have to cut it down .

nice 71 also quicksilver440
DR

Attached picture 5770365-BKD9-11-01_302C.jpg
Posted By: fury62

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/01/10 04:37 PM

you can pick one up from ATI $11.73

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/01/10 04:42 PM

Thats what I`m going to do, I just ordered it today.

Posted By: BloFish

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/01/10 04:48 PM

Git er done

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/03/10 01:56 PM

I got my locking dip stick tube plug from ATI yesterday it fits well and was $11.73 but I think $10.14 shipping and handling is a bit much for such a small part that weighs nothing. On top of that I was never told I would be charged that ammount by the salesman. Just another merchant with poor customer service..
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/03/10 04:33 PM

this is a rule which is WAY overdue. it seems like every other run there's an oildown or fire due to tranny fluid gushing out of an unsecured dipstick/ tube. SARCASM. THIS IS THE STUPIDEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD OF. FILE THIS UNDER "STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK". I AM GOING TO LET MY NUMBER AND MEMBERSHIP EXPIRE, AND THEN I SHALL ENDEAVOR TO WIN THE TRACK CHAMPIONSHIP AS A MATTER OF PRINCIPLE. THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/03/10 11:02 PM

Guys, it does happen. Two years ago I was having trouble with my trans puking fluid after a couple runs out of both the vent and the dipstick tube. We fought the problem all year, taking the trans completely down twice and several discussions with a couple of trans companies. I finally threw it out on this board and my problem ended up being the filter in the Moroso cooler. I took it out and no more puking. During thid period if I saw even a little bit of fluid I'd put it in the trailer. Wasted a bunch of money that summer.

Several years ago I hit some fluid at the big end of an 1/8th mile track. Only going 102 at the time but I'll tell you I don't want to do that again. Went thru the traps sideways.

I don't mind buying an approved tube if that's the requirement.

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/03/10 11:39 PM

Quote:

Guys, it does happen. Two years ago I was having trouble with my trans puking fluid after a couple runs out of both the vent and the dipstick tube. We fought the problem all year, taking the trans completely down twice and several discussions with a couple of trans companies. I finally threw it out on this board and my problem ended up being the filter in the Moroso cooler. I took it out and no more puking. During thid period if I saw even a little bit of fluid I'd put it in the trailer. Wasted a bunch of money that summer.

Several years ago I hit some fluid at the big end of an 1/8th mile track. Only going 102 at the time but I'll tell you I don't want to do that again. Went thru the traps sideways.

I don't mind buying an approved tube if that's the requirement.

we knew there had to be one. theoretically speaking, of course.
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/05/10 08:52 PM

yes this is a "RACE" forum, atf does come out of the dipstick, yes it will get under your rear tires, yes you will crash
gary

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/05/10 09:20 PM

and yet, they still allow rubber transmission cooler hose, which i HAVE seen fail numerous times. we need more rules. now.
Posted By: MOPARCHAS

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/05/10 11:22 PM

it's simple guys if you think your life or some else is not worth 45.00 don't buy one

I myself have two sons, two daughter in laws, two grand children and a wife of 38 years
and a car I have owned since new (40 years )
I think 45.00 is not asking alot

Attached picture 5784984-ptc.jpg
Posted By: sam64

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/05/10 11:31 PM

price is not the point,how many times you changed the seat belts in that 40 year old car?there are saftey rules then there are those rules to line pockets.just my opinion.

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/06/10 01:31 AM

every 2 years just like the NHRA rules

Attached picture 5785277-mm1.jpg
Posted By: 5280Dart

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/06/10 03:54 AM

mancini dipstick #MRE676 doesnt fit worth a ****.
Plan on pie cutting the tube, bend to fit and weld it up.

And yes, it is a B.S. rule.

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/06/10 08:43 PM

got mine from John at CRT fits like a glove
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/06/10 09:49 PM

Another CRT customer,,,,fit was perfect....

Posted By: tboomer

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/06/10 09:51 PM

Quote:

Another CRT customer,,,,fit was perfect....

That there is good to know...
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/07/10 04:26 AM

Calling John Cope...... Are you taking any of these locking dipsticks to the Winter classic next weekend? Can I order one and have you bring it? Thanks, Beep

Attached picture 5787767-HC09(4).jpg
Posted By: CRT

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/07/10 04:24 PM

Sorry, I will not be at the winter classic swap meet this year. So you can call the shop or buy on line.

John
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/07/10 04:32 PM

John will your dipstick work with a CSR shield on a big block?
Posted By: CRT

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/07/10 06:21 PM

Yes, I have them for use with or with out the CSR shields.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/07/10 06:53 PM

I think the rule is BS... ok you plug the dip stick
hole.... now the fluid can come out the vent and they
havent said anything about the vent.... YET... yeah
I'll get one of the stupid plugs but I dont and never
had a issue of fluid coming out of the dip stick tube
and mine is only about 10" long
Posted By: zzyzxpat

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/07/10 10:39 PM

Quote:

it's simple guys if you think your life or some else is not worth 45.00 don't buy one

I myself have two sons, two daughter in laws, two grand children and a wife of 38 years
and a car I have owned since new (40 years )
I think 45.00 is not asking alot

Seen 2 S/G racers killed in my time. Not saying because of this, but any chance of oil on the track should be stopped. Makes alot more sense than a flywheel "shield"
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/07/10 10:50 PM

Quote:

I think the rule is BS... ok you plug the dip stick
hole.... now the fluid can come out the vent and they
havent said anything about the vent.... YET... yeah
I'll get one of the stupid plugs but I dont and never
had a issue of fluid coming out of the dip stick tube
and mine is only about 10" long

just another of there many STUPID rules
sorry but in my opinion NHRA doesn't have a clue!

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/08/10 04:20 PM

Quote:

any chance of oil on the track should be stopped.

hurtling down the track with gallons of various lubricants on board- i'm afraid the only way to eliminate the possibility of leakage will be liquid free cars, or no cars. yeah, that's what we'll do.
Posted By: modified1090

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/11/10 01:49 AM

Quote:

how many live would have been lost if top fuel used the safety rules from the 60's running the speeds of the 01's?
a locking dip stick may not save your life someday but it may save someone's and that would make this all worth it.

i think NHRA does have a clue!

people are stupid some times, i'm not saying that you are and your car may never miss a beat even with out the locking dipstick, think about the person next to you going down the track. is he stupid? will this rule stop his car from puking trans fluid under his rear tires and stop him from darting across the lane into you!
just my
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/11/10 03:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

how many live would have been lost if top fuel used the safety rules from the 60's running the speeds of the 01's?
a locking dip stick may not save your life someday but it may save someone's and that would make this all worth it.

people are stupid some times, i'm not saying that you are and your car may never miss a beat even with out the locking dipstick, think about the person next to you going down the track. is he stupid? will this rule stop his car from puking trans fluid under his rear tires and stop him from darting across the lane into you!
just my

So you plug the tube.... are you putting a catch can
on the vent.... its not mandatory.... do you have
one now... just asking

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/11/10 03:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

just my

1st of all I have a locking dip stick when I needed a new tube and stick I just got the locking one to apise the GODS however I can tell you in 25 years in the buisness and building hot rods I have seen maybe 1 in 100 cars push fluid out the tube it just very seldom happens
2nd as far as there BS rules what about the new belts every 2 years,or a trans shield every 5 when there has been no damage,or a flex plate every 2 years where is the logic in that there is none but hey every one is entitled to there opinion

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/13/10 02:51 PM

Quote:

one now... just asking

no but maybe i should, i don't want to be that 1 in a 100 car to have this happen to as said earlier.

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/13/10 02:59 PM

don't get me wrong, i think some of these rules are stupid and some times premature, like seat belts every two years.
but what if maybe NHRA puts these rules in place because the had an issue in the past. i think they make these rules in a reactive manner rather than a proactive.
either way its a small price to put on your life.
Posted By: ro23car

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/13/10 03:04 PM

Quote:

and yet, they still allow rubber transmission cooler hose, which i HAVE seen fail numerous times. we need more rules. now. [/quote you should go get a new head gasket. you just blew yours
lol
Posted By: ro23car

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/13/10 03:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

just my

one now... just asking

yup i have a catch can and i know some ah racers have them also.

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/13/10 03:13 PM

I dont think they think things through enough if they want a locking dipstick than why not require a tube and catch can on the vent.
The trans will push fluid out the vent long before it pushes it out the tube.
Then thy might as well say we should have a locking engine oil dip stick as I have seen a lot of those get pushed out and spray oil from problems with crankcase venting.
Again I think they are just to quick to jump and say we need a rule.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/13/10 03:42 PM

Next year, there wasn't enough catch cans available. Engine dip sticks are next. Answer to it all is run a 4 speed.

Posted By: drag440

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/13/10 05:17 PM

I was a NHRA tech inspector for 6 years. A lot of the rules in the book don't make sense to some people because their car doesn't have that particular problem. All of the rules in the book has someones blood on it. I don't think I should have to buy a aftermarket balancer for my 10 sec. 440 because the stock one has a lip that makes it impossible for the outer ring to run off, but a high winding 283 Chevy will throw one off in a second. I have never see fluid come out of the top of a 727 dipstick either, but their others that will do it. The 10 sec. Chevy guys that run Powerglides are probably mad because they have to run a tranny shield because 727's are so prone to blow up. The rules are hard to understand sometimes and costly, but they have to be fair to all. Now the 2 year seat belt rule is another story in my opinion, but I won't go there.

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/13/10 06:21 PM

Quote:

...... Now the 2 year seat belt rule is another story in my opinion, but I won't go there.

I'm glad you said that...lol....that is the one that bugs me the most.
Posted By: 10 o to go

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/13/10 07:16 PM

Those who bought the ATI locking dipstick,by the description it doesn't measure it just locks .
Is that what you guys got ?
Those of us running the CSR shield Cope shows one to fit the shield .Any one have it on yet ?
Don

Attached picture 5802033-trans-lock.jpg

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/13/10 08:05 PM

Yes, the ATI doesn`t measure it only plugs the dipstick hole and locks. Its the one I bought it was $11.73 but the $10 to ship it seemed a bit high to me. I don`t check the fluid level that often since it rarely changes so I figured it would be fine.

Posted By: John

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/14/10 02:03 AM

The seat belt rule is the reason I am not paying my NHRA dues this year.

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/14/10 02:13 AM

Quote:

Those of us running the CSR shield Cope shows one to fit the shield .Any one have it on yet ?
Don

I'm running copes locking stick with the CSR shield...fits great.
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/14/10 02:29 AM

I still have the front vent but never seen any fluid out of it. The rear vent that I added will lose a little once in a while. The first time I seen that it had lost fluid I fabbed an aluminum catch can. I might check it 3 or 4 times a year and very seldom get more than a few drops of fluid.
As for the dipstick, never had a problem!

Attached picture 5802844-HC09(4).jpg
Posted By: moparts

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/14/10 09:50 PM

Quote:

mancini dipstick #MRE676 doesnt fit worth a ****.
Plan on pie cutting the tube, bend to fit and weld it up.

And yes, it is a B.S. rule.

Read this and thought OH great I have that stick/tub on order.

Well mine fits great, hugs the trans and clears the header

And yes it is the Mancini 676 setup

Attached picture 5804318-IMG_7550.JPG
Posted By: moparts

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/14/10 09:51 PM

And over the trans

Attached picture 5804319-IMG_7552.JPG
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: Trans tube dipstick lockdown for NHRA - 02/14/10 10:07 PM

Quote:

I was a NHRA tech inspector for 6 years. A lot of the rules in the book don't make sense to some people because their car doesn't have that particular problem. All of the rules in the book has someones blood on it. I don't think I should have to buy a aftermarket balancer for my 10 sec. 440 because the stock one has a lip that makes it impossible for the outer ring to run off, but a high winding 283 Chevy will throw one off in a second. I have never see fluid come out of the top of a 727 dipstick either, but their others that will do it. The 10 sec. Chevy guys that run Powerglides are probably mad because they have to run a tranny shield because 727's are so prone to blow up. The rules are hard to understand sometimes and costly, but they have to be fair to all. Now the 2 year seat belt rule is another story in my opinion, but I won't go there.

Funny about the rule on the harmonic balancer. When the rule first came out, I had a conversation about it with Herb McCandless and he said the only one he had ever seen fail was the one Grumpy Jenkins had used in which he had modified it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums