Moparts

about slicks?

Posted By: Georg

about slicks? - 01/26/10 05:10 PM

As we dont have special "glue" tracks here in Estonia yet, I`d wanted to ask you opinion. What slick you prefer for slippy tracks? (like old airfileds etc.)
Lets say for 3100-3500lbs car
I used Hoosiers and they seemed to work fine. Most common brand here are still MT but more and more coming popular Hoosier and also few people use Good Year slicks
What you can tell about Phoenix tires?
So which onw should be the best and why?
1. Hoosier
2. MT
3. Phoenix
4. Good Year

Thanks
Georg
Posted By: 77DragracerR/T

Re: about slicks? - 01/26/10 06:44 PM

The order you have listed the slicks is the order i would list in best to worst.
I've run M/T slicks and when i tried Hoosiers i never went back.I've raced on unprepped tracks and found the Hoosiers still have bite.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: about slicks? - 01/26/10 06:50 PM

I have not run the Phoenix,,but they are supposed to be IDENTICAL to the old Firestones. I ran the Firestones for years and they beat the Goodyears and Hoosiers HANDS DOWN as I had ran all three.
Posted By: MoparPitBull

Re: about slicks? - 01/26/10 08:01 PM

PHOENIX

Attached picture 5761361-chryslerclassic_edited.jpg
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: about slicks? - 01/26/10 08:20 PM

Phoenix hands down.They last a long time and hook very well.
Posted By: Georg

Re: about slicks? - 01/26/10 09:12 PM

So so far:
1 vote for Hoosier
3 votes for Phoenix

Keep em coming
Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: about slicks? - 01/26/10 09:40 PM

The only reason I dont have Phoenix on my car is the size I need, they don't list. I run Hoosiers. I have a friend with a SS car and a Comp car, both with Phoenix. Those cars hook and go just about anywhere. He lives by them.
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: about slicks? - 01/26/10 09:56 PM

my M/T's hook on the street not bad for a car that 60's in the high 1.4's IMO chassis setup is more important than what brand slick you run
Posted By: mopar376d

Re: about slicks? - 01/27/10 03:32 AM

PHOENIX

Best out there.....
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: about slicks? - 01/27/10 04:03 AM

TOYO'S
Posted By: super451b

Re: about slicks? - 01/27/10 04:37 AM

Phoenix
Posted By: tubtar

Re: about slicks? - 01/27/10 04:57 AM

I worked in staging at a local track for a lot of years.........the owner had a reputation for being frugal.
I'm trying to be kind because I liked the guy......cheap skate or not.
But he mixed rubber cement with some kind of solvent .......and it may have been gasoline for all I know ....but he sprayed it on the starting line with a plain garden sprayer and it seemed to work pretty well.
Once the solvent ( what ever it was ) evaporated , it left a very tacky surface.
I used Firestones and later Phoenix's and they never gave me a reason to look for another brand.
Posted By: BobR

Re: about slicks? - 01/27/10 02:12 PM

Quote:

my M/T's hook on the street not bad for a car that 60's in the high 1.4's IMO chassis setup is more important than what brand slick you run

Another vote for M/T's. That's all we use.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: about slicks? - 01/27/10 02:46 PM

1. Hoosier
2. MT
3. Phoenix
4. Good Year

Thanks
Georg

I've used 3 of the 4 you listed... never ran GY
but I would rate them as Phoenix and Hoosiers as
equal with the Mickies next... I got more life out
of the MT but they didnt 60' as well as the Phoenix
or Hoosiers... The Hoosiers gave me a little more
life over the Phoenix... the Phoenix and Hoosiers
gave me a 1.19 to 1.21 60' and the Mickies were 1.28
on the same track(different days but very similar
conditions and track prep)
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: about slicks? - 01/27/10 03:07 PM

I would have ot ask what size first. IMO that would make a differenece if it were me on what tire I was using. Having said that if it were me you can see I am using Goodyears in the signature picture. They have worked very well for me and had excellent life.
© 2024 Moparts Forums