Moparts

Enclosed trailer guys what generator?

Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 06:03 PM

We are looking around at maybe getting a enclosed trailer soon and I was wondering what size generators are you guys using. Looking to get a quiet one that will run lights, a/c or heater, battery chargers, air compressor. Currently have a 2500 Yamaha that is great but it has problems running just a battery charger and air compressor.
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 06:24 PM

I have a Honda 7000 inverter generator. It is mounted on a slide out and is very quiet with more than enough power.Since it is only held in place by two bolts it can also serve double duty as a backup home generator.
The most important thing that I looked for when purchasing a generator was noise. But almost every time I go to the track I end up parking next to a guy that has the loudest generator I've ever heard.
You can't go wrong with a Honda.
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 06:24 PM

For quiet, go with Honda,
but their expensive
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 06:29 PM

Onan has quiet generators if you are looking for a typical RV genset. Hondas are hard to beat as well. Mine is a 5Kw generator and doesn't have any problem running a combination of the items you mentioned. Three years and it has only thrown the breaker once.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 06:30 PM

3000EU

Attached picture 5759033-DSCN2551.JPG
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 06:31 PM

This may not be the route that everyone else wants to take, but I got a 4000 watt Onan out of an older motorhome. It is 1800 rpm and extreemly quiet. I got it free by buying a dirty old motor home that would barely run for dirt cheap. Gave it a really good bath, put new plug wires on it, took the generator for myself, and sold the motorhome at a nice profit. Worked for me.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 06:59 PM

Quote:

This may not be the route that everyone else wants to take, but I got a 4000 watt Onan out of an older motorhome. It is 1800 rpm and extreemly quiet. I got it free by buying a dirty old motor home that would barely run for dirt cheap. Gave it a really good bath, put new plug wires on it, took the generator for myself, and sold the motorhome at a nice profit. Worked for me.

I have the same one... Onan 4000... it runs my AC/heater,
lights and compressor with no problems
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 07:17 PM

I bought a generac RV genset years ago, brand new. It ruined a couple TV sets while I had it. Turns out the cheaper gensets don't have very good cycles regulation and that was ruining my electronics. You could see the lights get brighter when the load would change. Got rid of it and bought a better genset and my problems went away. Don't buy cheap if you want to run TVs and computers is all I can tell you.

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 07:19 PM

Thanks guys. The main reason I want a quiet one is for multi-day races, instead of getting a hotel I'm just going to sleep in the trailer and I don't want a chainsaw going all night. But I want one that I know will run the things I need while racing too.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 07:20 PM

I have a older Yamaha 5500 watt 110/220 construction generator mounted on the tongue of my Pace car trailer, it is NOISY, but it works well It has the fuel saver feature, idles until something is turn on or is activated and it is electric start the Honda inverters are a lot quieter though. My motorhome had 4000 watt generator(not a Onan or Generac, it was a Kohler) that would run the air conditioning and everything else at night and never failed us once Lots of option out there Check on line first for new ones and Craigs list for used ones
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 10:47 PM

I'd go Onan, I have an Onan 6300 (motorhome gen) that is quiet runs 1800 RPM but I swaped it out for a 4000 Honda liquid Cooled(motorhome gen), runs at 3600 rpm ...rather have the onan, definitly quieter and more fuel efficient. plus less mantainance
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 10:51 PM

Another vote here for the Onan 4000 they sip fuel and will do what you are wanting to do

Rickster
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 11:02 PM

honda 6500 inverter here, i have run 2 campers of it, in august. so i know it will run 2 a/c units and acc. it only runs the rpm needed to make how much power you need.
Posted By: BigDog68Dart

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 11:49 PM

Quote:

3000EU

same as the big dog use's I normally ask my neighbors at the track to plug into us, to keep the noise down, no problems and very good on fuel! 4 stars! around 1300 bucks new for mine
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/25/10 11:54 PM

The Hz. ( frequency or cycles ) is entirely contingent on r.p.m. , so if you want to run delicate electronics ( T.V. or computer ) you want one with enough power to not lug down as the load increases.
Figure out your max. electrical load in Watts and multiply by 1.5.
This will give you a baseline for the kw rating you want.
The differences in r.p.m. given above are due to a different winding in the gen set itself and probably have to do with power characteristics of the power plant.
Diesels are optimum for a lot of reasons except cost.........they are a heck of a lot more money.
I like the Honda's because they are extremely quiet , but I know Onan makes very nice units too.
I have a loud , obnoxious one that my Dad gave me , but have worked on these filthy buggers quite a bit..........mostly bigg'uns.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 02:44 AM

If you want one you can run with out opening the generator door you will need a motor home style generator like mentioned above.

I have one of Honda 3000EUs like shown above, extreamly quiet and will run forever on a tank of gas. While I don't have an AC unit in the trailer they are supposed to be able to run one.

Good Luck,
Bill
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 02:56 AM

Quote:

If you want one you can run with out opening the generator door you will need a motor home style generator like mentioned above.

Good point. Either of mine I just hit the remote start switch from inside the trailer and good to go....Still like the Onan better
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 03:00 AM

Any one that you don't have to drag out the back door and chain to the trailer tounge.
Brian
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 05:10 AM

Another 3000EU Honda here. Never any issues with enough power.

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 11:59 AM

Cool thanks guys for all the experienced comments. Hopefully we can find a good one with all the recommendations.
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 01:21 PM

I use two honda eu 2000's you can parallel circuit them and make 4000 watts 30 amps will run any thing. the neat thing about it is you can unplug one and cool off your race car the lanes when in round robin mode while the other still runs the trailer. They cost around 1800.00 for a pair.
Posted By: boatracer572

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 01:39 PM

Onan 6.5 kw here!

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 03:21 PM

Quote:

I use two honda eu 2000's you can parallel circuit them and make 4000 watts 30 amps will run any thing. the neat thing about it is you can unplug one and cool off your race car the lanes when in round robin mode while the other still runs the trailer. They cost around 1800.00 for a pair.

I was wondering about doing that. The Yamaha I have is a great generator. I was wondering if getting another 2000w and running them together would be better. Like you said the only time I'd need both would be when everything was running which wouldn't be very often.

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 03:34 PM

For me it HAS TO HAVE a remote start, when I get up
in the morning I want to put my coffee on the first
thing and I dont want to put on my clothes to go out
and fire up the gen... so for me the remote was high
priority... also during the hot nights I might wake
up and want to turn the AC back on

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 04:28 PM

Quote:

haha, I make coffee, popcorn and watch tv without starting the generator! Even better!

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 05:55 PM

Quote:

That's a good point too.

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 06:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

haha, I make coffee, popcorn and watch tv without starting the generator! Even better!

Wayne, how do you do that...12 volt?

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 06:49 PM

nope, 2000W invertor!

chally, be very careful about sleeping in your trailer with a generator running. That would be the only time I'd want a portable so I could carry it 20-30' away. Be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector hooked up, it may save your life. You would do well to get an exhaust that will exit above the roof line.

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/26/10 06:53 PM

Quote:

nope, 2000W invertor!

chally, be very careful about sleeping in your trailer with a generator running. That would be the only time I'd want a portable so I could carry it 20-30' away. Be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector hooked up, it may save your life. You would do well to get an exhaust that will exit above the roof line.

on the exhaust... my gen is mounted in the
bed of my truck with a exhaust system on it
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Enclosed trailer guys what generator? - 01/27/10 12:59 AM

On recomendations from here

I bought two of the Honda 2000 gen set and the parallel hookup

They would run my roof air, etc but, not very well IMO

I sold one of the 2000's to a member here, still have the parallel hookup

Kept one of the 2000's for the heck of it

Bought a 6500

If anyone wants to buy the hookup, give yah a deal on it !!
© 2024 Moparts Forums