Moparts

LRT Tubular k-members.

Posted By: PUNK

LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/20/10 08:10 PM

Does anyone know if this guy is still building the k-members? I have noticed in the past that there are several people that use his stuff and its real nice. My friend has been trying to contact him and has not been successfull. I actually have 2 friends trying to reach LRT. His K is exactly what we are looking for. We arent interested in the coil over front ends for our applications.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/20/10 09:13 PM

Rob no longer builds K members for Mopars.

Jeff
Posted By: webemopes

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/20/10 09:42 PM

why not?
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/20/10 10:48 PM

Quote:

why not?

Just a guess, but I think he had issues with people stealing his design.
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/20/10 11:21 PM

I asked Rob about making me a set of his updated steering arms and he was basically not interested in doing anything to do with Mopars.
Steve
Posted By: cudadon

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/23/10 01:51 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know if this guy is still building the k-members? I have noticed in the past that there are several people that use his stuff and its real nice. My friend has been trying to contact him and has not been successfull. I actually have 2 friends trying to reach LRT. His K is exactly what we are looking for. We arent interested in the coil over front ends for our applications.

I talked to Rob @ LRT Chassis today. He is waiting for billet steering arms to be finished bfore he builds any more K frames!
He is having them made now, should be done in 1-2 weeks.
So if you can wait a little while you can get one of LRT's
tubular K frames. Don

Attached picture 5753469-cordova.jpg
Posted By: MRMOPAR

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/23/10 05:09 AM

Interesting reply in that I recently contacted him for updated steering arms. I would be glad to post his email reply...

which was...

he was not interested in helping out.

I'll believe 1 to 2 weeks when h311 freezes over.

I will be replacing mine with an AlterK. I might then have mine available.

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/23/10 03:14 PM

Bill, let me know if you want to sell your LRT K member. Just need the K. I already have every thing else.

Jeff

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/23/10 03:53 PM

If LRT doesn't come through with updated parts I will probably be listing mine and going with Bondo Bob's k-frame.
Steve
Posted By: FASTFISH420

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/23/10 04:01 PM

I have had a LRT K since 05 and it is a nice piece..I have had it updated acouple times over the years..I havent talked with Rob in a long time..
Posted By: badwej

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/23/10 05:38 PM

I talked to him when i was having problems with the dare k maember i have he helped

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/23/10 05:42 PM

Hey Sean I'll have to take a look at your car when I see it at the track. What problems with the DARE pos did Rob help you with?
Steve
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/23/10 05:47 PM

Any pictures of LRT K frame?

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/23/10 06:00 PM

Rob told me about the steering arms and what was needed to be done and we made them and moved the rack up and fixed all the bad welding Mr Dave at dare had done. Dave would not help or even pick the phone up when I called he is a real piece of work.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/23/10 06:00 PM

Quote:

I wish I would have weighed everything. I didn't like having
to use the 73-up disc spindles. (HEAVY)

Attached picture 5754638-DSCN2133.JPG
Posted By: PUNK

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/23/10 07:55 PM

I really hope that he comes through and continues to make these k-members. They are actually exactly what we are looking for. I will keep my fingers crossed.
Posted By: chryco

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 12:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Any closeups of the spindles/steering arms they`re using ?

Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 01/24/10 12:58 AM

Posted By: Leigh

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 01:06 AM

Quote:

For a strictly race car. It might be time to start duplicting the unit on my Duster. It's still lighter and much simpler than all others and uses mostly stock parts

Wow, that baby's got some time on it. Thanks for the pic, can you shoot some more from different angles or, from times when the motor is out? Thanks Fred, I always wanted to see how the 60-70's tech approach to rack and pinion was handled. (grey goose)

Leigh

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 01:10 AM

Attached picture 5755483-DSCN2451.JPG

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 01:17 AM

Attached picture 5755497-DSCN2453.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 01/24/10 01:25 AM

Posted By: MRMOPAR

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 05:05 AM

Jeff

I sent you an email..

Bill

Quote:

Bill, let me know if you want to sell your LRT K member. Just need the K. I already have every thing else.

Jeff

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 05:29 AM

looks like some heat was used on the steering arms that was ok in 1970 but you can make good safe arms now
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 02:08 PM

I contacted him one time, I sent him a drawing because my engine is centered up in the bay and has a big oil pan. He got upset about stealing his design after he saw my cad print. I assured him I was trying to make sure that it would fit, and not steal his design. Didn't work, the guy stopped returning emails and would not take my calls. Definitely not the easiest guy to deal with.

Too bad, because it does look like a nice design.

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 03:24 PM

Quote:

Here are som pics of mine, it's the older version without the bars running fore and aft at the subframe mounts. It is a very nice piece but the guy I got it from had a little bit of a wobble that Rob has a new sterring arm designed to fix, that is the part that I want to get from him. I'm also going to be using coil-over shocks with mine, when I originally bought it I needed to run t-bars but the class is gone and now I can put in the coil-overs and I think the extra room will be nice.
Steve

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 03:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

pretty sure mine which one of has been lightened are the earlier that used Kelsey discs but there's no brake kit to fit them. I had to have new rotors specially cut as none are sold.

I think we had the same set-up.

Attached picture 5756497-DSCN2016.JPG

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 03:33 PM

who did the pipe in your car
Posted By: Coldart

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 03:55 PM

Try this, talk to Bob. Nice stuff, Good service.

www.gofastmopars.net click on WARP Performance

GoodLuck!
Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 03:58 PM

Here is a 73 up disc spindle vs a 9" drum spindle. The 9" drum looks a lot lighter, but to tell you the truth holding them in your hand you can hardly tell the difference. You would need a scale.

Attached picture 5756568-SPINDLE2.JPG

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 03:59 PM

Attached picture 5756569-SPINDLE1.JPG

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 03:59 PM

Attached picture 5756571-SPINDLE3.JPG

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 04:00 PM

Attached picture 5756572-SPINDLE.JPG

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 04:15 PM

Every little bit helps.......but, I guess you already know that.
Posted By: mopar_to_ya

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 04:43 PM

Quote:

Interesting reply in that I recently contacted him for updated steering arms. I would be glad to post his email reply...

which was...

I contacted him about a year and a half ago, and he was nice on the phone to me and said he had some Chrysler Engineer helping with the new design steering arms and that they took care of the brake shake and shimmy problem as long as I cut .300 off the back side of the spindle. I told him I wanted a set, and went and got a set of spindles and cut them. He told me he would send them out asap. I have tried to contact him for about 6 months after that and finally gave up.
Like his stuff.
Just wish it worked 100% and his customer relations would as well. People have bashed me on here about this many times, and I really don't care, because they really don't know the frustration Myself, My Dad, My Brother , and a few Friends went through to make this set-up work. Plus the extra $1500.00 I spent willingly to get it there. We had it in and out at least a dozen times trying this and trying that, doing everything I was told to try. All I heard was how I was the only one with issues and we didn't know what we were doing, but I still have 10 plus peoples emails with issues, whom I chose not to post to be the better person.
This isn't a bash, Just a Lifes Lesson.
Because as I have said a million times, It looks great, and handles great at speed, but the shutdown gets a little hairy at times.

Call BondoBob !!!!!!!!

Attached picture 5756692-GTS11-6-3.jpg
Posted By: cudadon

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/24/10 11:38 PM

WOW !!! I guess it's true that there are 2 sides to a story.. BECAUSE THAT ISN'T THE STORY I HEARD!! I have the third K Rob built. Yes there has been upgrades and adjustments. NO way have I spent ANYWHERE NEAR even $450 on parts alignments etc.
It works VERY good NO SHIMMY OR SHAKE!!!
It's easy to tell you have sour grapes ronnie since you tell people to buy from a COPY CAT!
Don

Attached picture 5757602-cordova.jpg

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/25/10 12:10 AM

Quote:

It's easy to tell you have sour grapes ronnie since you tell people to buy from a COPY CAT!

I know BondoBob has been accused of ripping off the tube K-frame
from LRT before but, I have an LRT and been to Bob's shop and saw
his in person. They don't look much at all alike.

Since all the mounting points for the components and attaching holes
in the same place, how many ways can there be to make them?

Bob's K-frames don't even retain the torsion bars.
Posted By: bdaz smblk

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/25/10 01:12 AM

How can you call someone like BondoBob a copy cat.When he can show a video of 340Ricks car making a full 1/4 mile pass with no shack and my brothers car never left the garage for a whole race season trying to fix Robs stuff up so he could atleast race the thing.Kenny
Posted By: FASTFISH420

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/25/10 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

which was...

I contacted him about a year and a half ago, and he was nice on the phone to me and said he had some Chrysler Engineer helping with the new design steering arms and that they took care of the brake shake and shimmy problem as long as I cut .300 off the back side of the spindle. I told him I wanted a set, and went and got a set of spindles and cut them. He told me he would send them out asap. I have tried to contact him for about 6 months after that and finally gave up.
Like his stuff.
Just wish it worked 100% and his customer relations would as well. People have bashed me on here about this many times, and I really don't care, because they really don't know the frustration Myself, My Dad, My Brother , and a few Friends went through to make this set-up work. Plus the extra $1500.00 I spent willingly to get it there. We had it in and out at least a dozen times trying this and trying that, doing everything I was told to try. All I heard was how I was the only one with issues and we didn't know what we were doing, but I still have 10 plus peoples emails with issues, whom I chose not to post to be the better person.
This isn't a bash, Just a Lifes Lesson.
Because as I have said a million times, It looks great, and handles great at speed, but the shutdown gets a little hairy at times.

Call BondoBob !!!!!!!!

Did you ever fix the brake shimmy???I have been dealing with the same problems since day one..I have all the updated stuff and even spent the money for the 2.25 front wheels and still have the shake..last time I talked to Rob about it..he told me to try the alterkation adjustable strut rods..I am thinking about trying them..

any thoughts..
Posted By: bdaz smblk

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/25/10 02:06 AM

Hey Chris no we haven't fixed the brake shimmy yet.How have you been doing and how is the car coming along.Kenny

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/25/10 03:27 AM

Quote:

Don

This is the first I've heard of the copycat thing. What's this about?
As far as the money spent;
I have bought (2) sets of upper arms, different strut rods, a second set of spindles, different wheels, tried other bushings, different shocks, and at least half a dozen front end alignments. And I did this willingly as I was told to try this stuff to eliminate different scenarios(sp?). My only sour grapes is the fact that it still isn't perfect after lots of dollars and 5 yrs later. Nothing else.
I DON'T GET WHERE I'M THE BAD GUY HERE!!!
There is obviuosly problems with them or the production wouldn't have stoped.
ALL I WANT IS MY S#!T TO WORK, AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE.
And besides that, my car is closing in on the 150 mph mark on a little tire and leaf springs. Not sure what your car runs like, but maybe the faster you go you may or may not have a problem, I don't know. I'm glad yours works, just wish mine did too.
I just know my car has a problem, and it's NOT the car or anyone who has worked on trying to help fix it. And there are a few others with the same problem, and all we ever ask for was to fix the problem.
That's pretty simple, I think. But that's just me.

Take care

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/25/10 03:35 AM

Quote:

Did you ever fix the brake shimmy???I have been dealing with the same problems since day one..I have all the updated stuff and even spent the money for the 2.25 front wheels and still have the shake..last time I talked to Rob about it..he told me to try the alterkation adjustable strut rods..I am thinking about trying them..

any thoughts..

Hey Chris,
I tried the factory strutrods, and they seemed a little worse than the aluminum strutrods. I'm going to put Bill Reilly's this year. I have the 2.25 wheels too. Still the same. I'll keep you posted if anything fixes it.

later

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/25/10 03:50 AM

Quote:

I guess it's true that there are 2 sides to a story.. BECAUSE THAT ISN'T THE STORY I HEARD!!

Probably wouldn't be, depending who your friends are. And I'm not really interested in hearing your side of the story and getting into this again. It's not worth getting ticked off about.
I'm over it!

But you are welcome to come down this way and I'll show you my parts list and receipts, and anything else you want to see. No problems here.
I have nothing to hide and no reason to lie about anything.

Take care
God Bless

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/25/10 04:07 AM

Quote:

NO way have I spent ANYWHERE NEAR even $450 on parts alignments etc.

when I asked Rob about the updated steering arms he told me that he wanted close to $500 for them without new ball joints. I'm sorrry if there is a design issue with something you made you don't try and gouge for your customer to get the fix.

As far as BondoBob's k being a copy cat, come on man, any good fabricator can come up with a similar design without even seeing an LRT. It's a good thing Bob has done his reasearch and tested his parts extensively before taking any money for his parts. The parts are good, the use of torsion bars is unique to it's design and it fits a niche, but he has to stand behind his products and help those that have problems.

Quote:

who did the pipe in your car

I did, I'm planning to 25.5 the car over the winter if I get some time.
Steve
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/25/10 11:20 AM

Quote:

As far as BondoBob's k being a copy cat, come on man, any good fabricator can come up with a similar design without even seeing an LRT.

In one of Bondo's threads on here Rob accused him of stealing his steering arm design. To me, Bob's were not that close to Rob's, and Rob's are not that much different than the AJE ones I have, or the ones a buddy of mine built for his Valiant 10 years ago.

I had Bob make some one-off ball joint cups for my Daytona. I had an idea in my head what they should look like, but just let Bob do his thing. He made them exactly how I was thinking they should be. Did he steal my idea, or is it just the fact that there are only so many ways you can do something?
Posted By: QWK_ENUF

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/26/10 12:39 AM

Attached File
5759741-smallfront.bmp  (165 downloads)

Re: LRT Tubular k-members. - 01/26/10 01:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As far as BondoBob's k being a copy cat, come on man, any good fabricator can come up with a similar design without even seeing an LRT.

In one of Bondo's threads on here Rob accused him of stealing his steering arm design. To me, Bob's were not that close to Rob's, and Rob's are not that much different than the AJE ones I have, or the ones a buddy of mine built for his Valiant 10 years ago.

I had Bob make some one-off ball joint cups for my Daytona. I had an idea in my head what they should look like, but just let Bob do his thing. He made them exactly how I was thinking they should be. Did he steal my idea, or is it just the fact that there are only so many ways you can do something?

Monte Smith built a tubular K member for his GTX around 1994 or earlier. Who's came first???
© 2024 Moparts Forums