Moparts

4/10's Pro-Tree

Posted By: Dave_S

4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 09:29 PM

Racers

This season I am hoping to move up a class at our local track. The class I raced in upto now used a .5 pro-tree. It took a whole season but I finally got the hang of it. The new class uses a .4 pro-tree. My question is do you think I can get my car to react fast enough? I have upgraded the engine to a 512 with a 262@.050 solid roller. Same 5000 stall,4.10,t-brake, with Cal-tracs. Last season I could cut a pretty good light but was red quite a few times (.008-.010) Will the mods over the winter make up the difference?

Thanks

Dave
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 09:47 PM

I would imagine that you won't red light (on a .400 tree) unless you flat out guess on the tree.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 09:57 PM

Im SURE I wont red light!!!!(on a 4/10th tree) The question is will the CAR be able to react fast enough?
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 09:58 PM

How are you leaving the line??? against the converter or flashing into it???
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 10:03 PM

if it's real heavy I doubt it will react quick enough for a .4 protree.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 10:11 PM

Quote:

Dont feed the troll(me)

to the original poster, my car is 3350 pounds with a similar ( stockish) suspension, and a good brake. I have done a lot of 400 tree racing..if i am really on my game, i can go .430's at night, and a little slower during the day.

the higher rpm you launch at will help, and staging as deeply as possible will as well. but lighter cars have a real big advantage, all else being equal. Its just a fact something lighter is going to start to move quicker, as compared to something heavier.

you wont ever see heavy cars in 8.90/9.90 racing for this and other reasons, where the .400 tree is used.
Posted By: rebel

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 10:16 PM

roll in deep, turn out the top bulb, this will help your reactions.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 10:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dont feed the troll(me)

to the original poster, my car is 3350 pounds with a similar ( stockish) suspension, and a good brake. I have done a lot of 400 tree racing..if i am really on my game, i can go .430's at night, and a little slower during the day.

the higher rpm you launch at will help, and staging as deeply as possible will as well. but lighter cars have a real big advantage, all else being equal. Its just a fact something lighter is going to start to move quicker, as compared to something heavier.

you wont ever see heavy cars in 8.90/9.90 racing for this and other reasons, where the .400 tree is used.

a .430 light down here will put you on the trailer 9 times out of ten.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 10:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dont feed the troll(me)

i dont doubt a minute it would. but the guys trailering me i bet arent racing 3350 pound leaf spring cars either..

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 10:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dont feed the troll(me)

i dont doubt a minute it would. but the guys trailering me i bet arent racing 3350 pound leaf spring cars either..

where the heck you been Don? do you still have your car?

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 10:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dont feed the troll(me)

where the heck you been Don? do you still have your car?

yes, still have it..tried to sell it for a couple of weeks back last fall, but all i got was about 20 people that wanted pictures of it, and not much else...now its getting close to racing season..so..... got tired of emailing pictures( or i should say my wife did, because she knows how to)..lol

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 10:32 PM

The car weighs 3200 with me in it. I launch on the two-step around 3000. I'm guessing that I'll have to raise the rpm at launch to at least 4000. The 512 should make a boat-load of torque.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 10:35 PM

Quote:

The car weighs 3200 with me in it. I launch on the two-step around 3000. I'm guessing that I'll have to raise the rpm at launch to at least 4000. The 512 should make a boat-load of torque.

that will help..mine is quickest on the tree at about 4400 on the chip, but it wheelstands way to much at that rpm, i have it at 3400 currently
what are the weight rules, if any, in the class you will race in?...that will be a key to being competetive in your car

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 10:40 PM

No weight rules. Deep staging is allowed but kind of frowned on, dont know why. Thanks for all the help!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dont feed the troll(me)

Tony, i'd like to see them trailer me with my heavy 65 Dodge & 65 plymouth Hemi belvedere. i got these cars reacting sick fast or maybe its my lightning fast reflexes

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 11:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dont feed the troll(me)

Tony, i'd like to see them trailer me with my heavy 65 Dodge & 65 plymouth Hemi belvedere. i got these cars reacting sick fast or maybe its my lightning fast reflexes

come on down they race every weekend, how many races have you won?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 11:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm your Huckleberry
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 11:22 PM

count me in, I'm them!

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 11:31 PM

Quote:

count me in, I'm them!

my money is on you and Al.

Post deleted by Defbob - 01/15/10 11:34 PM

Posted By: Dodgem

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 11:41 PM

Yea Dave limiting front end travel will move the wheels quicker. The big motor will speed things up a bit and then more RPM at launch!
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 11:43 PM

Quote:

Racers

This season I am hoping to move up a class at our local track. The class I raced in upto now used a .5 pro-tree. It took a whole season but I finally got the hang of it. The new class uses a .4 pro-tree. My question is do you think I can get my car to react fast enough? I have upgraded the engine to a 512 with a [Email]262@.050[/Email] solid roller. Same 5000 stall,4.10,t-brake, with Cal-tracs. Last season I could cut a pretty good light but was red quite a few times (.008-.010) Will the mods over the winter make up the difference?

Thanks

Dave

It's 268 @ .050 Dave

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 11:45 PM

Well if you are allowed to deep stage per the rules seems like the best way to go. If not limiting travel, shorter tires, higher launch rpm, more gear, more converter and practice practice practice.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/15/10 11:47 PM

Tony the Troll
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 12:07 AM

I'm your Huckleberry

Good one DOC
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 12:18 AM

As already stated...small tire, High pressure, tie down the front suspension and leave against the converter (no two step)

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 12:18 AM

Quote:

I'm your Huckleberry

Good one DOC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sn3zGG_aQ

i dont need any fancy electronics to win.

how many races have i won. thats a good one.

Attached picture 5737619-roflmao.gif

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 12:20 AM

Quote:

Put the smallest front tire you can on the car...set the front tire pressure at 45#....and if you have limiters on the front suspension get rid of as much travel as possible...or tie it down if you don't have limiters..

If that's the route you go don't try to deep stage. The idea here is to LIFT the front tire out of the beam as fast as possible. If you roll in you have more tire sidewall to lift out of the beam.

If you tie down the front you still need to have a couple inches front end travel to get the thing moving up. Then you probably need a pretty good shock to keep the front from bottoming out and bouncing when it comes back down.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 01:29 AM

Quote:

Tony the Troll

your trolling and your not going to like what you catch

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 01:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm your Huckleberry

Good one DOC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sn3zGG_aQ

i dont need any fancy electronics to win.

how many races have i won. thats a good one.

really have you won any? I am talking real bracket racing not NSS
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 02:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

count me in, I'm them!

my money is on you and Al.

Can I play too

Rickster

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 03:13 AM

Cool, thanks for the help. Your right Barry the cam isn't 262@.050 its 268....wasnt paying attention.
Posted By: supercomp

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 03:24 AM

I seriously wouldn't try with that car. You are going to be taking a KNIFE TO A M16 GUNFIGHT and that's a fact. I'm not trying to throw water on your parade, it's just a fact.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 03:38 AM

I know it's gonna be tough but I will try anyway. If it turns out bad I can always slow it down and run in my old class.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 02:34 PM

The new AHRA rules(draft) had the GAS (10.90) class running a .400 Pro tree. One of my comments to the rules was that for the grass roots racer that they are after many would not be competitive on a .4 tree. I hope they change it before finalizing the rules.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 03:04 PM

Quote:

The new AHRA rules(draft) had the GAS (10.90) class running a .400 Pro tree. One of my comments to the rules was that for the grass roots racer that they are after many would not be competitive on a .4 tree. I hope they change it before finalizing the rules.

it makes a whole lot of cars unable to compete.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 03:13 PM

Its all about the pinion angle....

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 04:59 PM

Quote:

IMO depends on the rest of the rules in the class. Weight, chassis type etc. IMO if it is a stock suspension class with a fairly heavy weight I dont see why it would be an issue, keep the playing field level IMO. Now if they allow cars like mine, meaning tube chassis cars, with boxes I dont think it is a step in the right direction at all.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 05:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

IMO depends on the rest of the rules in the class. Weight, chassis type etc. IMO if it is a stock suspension class with a fairly heavy weight I dont see why it would be an issue, keep the playing field level IMO. Now if they allow cars like mine, meaning tube chassis cars, with boxes I dont think it is a step in the right direction at all.

Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 05:02 PM

Somewhere between 400 rpm less than stall speed to just pull the chip out and go against the converter for your best leave on a .400 Pro Tree. My 400 is chipped to 6200, shift at 8200, I can red a .400 Tree if I really want to.
Posted By: 1976 Aspen

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 10:31 PM

I still don't understand how people can say "my car can go .380 red on a .400 pro tree" It's called anticipating the light... I've heard people saying the same about a .500 full tree. "I'm trying to slow my car down because it will go red on a .500 tree" It's called leaving to early on the last yellow...

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 10:36 PM

Quote:

I still don't understand how people can say "my car can go .380 red on a .400 pro tree" It's called anticipating the light... I've heard people saying the same about a .500 full tree. "I'm trying to slow my car down because it will go red on a .500 tree" It's called leaving to early on the last yellow...

with a light car with power you can go red on a .400 tree. I had quite a bit of delay in the dragster to keep from going red.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 10:47 PM

Quote:

We're not leaving on the last yellow on the full tree. We leave on the first yellow and use the delay box to adjust for the difference in lights.

As for the .400 pro light it's basically the same thing. We let the button go as soon as we see yellow. If the driver and car can react faster than .400 then the light's red.

Pretty simple math really. No anticipating necessary. Just concentration and a car that will move when the trans brake lets go.
Posted By: sr4440

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/16/10 11:56 PM

Quote:

If I am “anticipating the light” I am pretty darn constant at it. I have 0.038 in the box and a .410 is a slow light. You do the math.

It’s easy, light car, big horsepower, dead hook.

Joe
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/17/10 04:55 AM

Al, the AHRA Gas class is basically Super Street with 2 exceptions that I noticed. One is the .400 tree and the other is V8 cars w/driver must weigh 2600 lbs vs NHRA 2800 lbs.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/17/10 12:13 PM

Quote:

Al, the AHRA Gas class is basically Super Street with 2 exceptions that I noticed. One is the .400 tree and the other is V8 cars w/driver must weigh 2600 lbs vs NHRA 2800 lbs.

that even worse imo. they should weigh at least 3000lbs.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/17/10 05:21 PM

Quote:

Like already stated we are not anticipating anything. We leave at first flash of yellow and I think all of us that do it are pretty consistent at what we do. Either that or we dont win many rounds a year.

That AHRA rule is ridiculous to me. If indeed they have a 2600lb minimum and a .400 light then you might as well keep the heavy stock suspesnion cars on the porch, cause it is gonna get ugly.

3000lb minimum would be ok with me, I would just have to ad a little ballast.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/17/10 08:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Like already stated we are not anticipating anything. We leave at first flash of yellow and I think all of us that do it are pretty consistent at what we do. Either that or we dont win many rounds a year.

That AHRA rule is ridiculous to me. If indeed they have a 2600lb minimum and a .400 light then you might as well keep the heavy stock suspesnion cars on the porch, cause it is gonna get ugly.

3000lb minimum would be ok with me, I would just have to ad a little ballast.

You better be able to redlight on a .400 pro tree or your going to be frustrated preaty quick. All tracks don't react the same.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/17/10 09:01 PM

Who me? I carry numbers or both trees so no worries here

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/17/10 09:08 PM

Quote:

Who me? I carry numbers or both trees so no worries here

Al, you know I wasn't talking about you.

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/17/10 09:16 PM

Hey I am gonna try some S/C stuff later this year. So if you see me in the lanes try to beat the crowd wanting to run me first roundQuack Quack

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/17/10 09:31 PM

Remember this dragster and don't try to set us up.
By the way what's your dragster look like?

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/17/10 09:36 PM

Like this only with a S/C 725O on the window Now you know why they will be tripping over each other to race me. But we are gonna try something different at 8.90

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/17/10 09:54 PM

You got some big ones'
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/18/10 12:57 AM

Quote:

You got some big ones'

Forrester sure had S/C figured out at the Gator's last year didn't he...

Rickster
Posted By: plumber425

Re: 4/10's Pro-Tree - 01/18/10 02:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm your Huckleberry

500 Must be a peach of a hand...

Attached picture 5742393-numidiadragway001.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums