Moparts

Ice drags......Updated with PICS!!!! 1-10-10

Posted By: DemonDust

Ice drags......Updated with PICS!!!! 1-10-10 - 01/09/10 10:17 PM

We got the car back together with a blowproof bell. Went to track today. First pass had clutch adjustment issues. Second pass ran a 98.81 went thru the traps in 3 rd gear around 7400 ... Third pass the clutch disk fell apart...

So I def need more gear like 6.17 or something... Hopefully the pressure plate or the flywheel aren't damged. If they aren't I'll get a new disc and run again next weekend.. We'll see how it broke and hopefully be able to figure out why it broke...
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/09/10 11:32 PM

That sux, Jesse. I assume you got the wires. Any issues? Love to see some sweet pics.. Thanks.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/09/10 11:33 PM

A U T O M A T I C
Posted By: street_dart

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/09/10 11:39 PM

Ice drags in sweden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfsp12OCtAw

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/09/10 11:55 PM

Quote:

That sux, Jesse. I assume you got the wires. Any issues? Love to see some sweet pics.. Thanks.

Well it was just TNT today. Yes the wires were awesome. Only problem was I think you had 5 and 8 mislabeled. Other than that, I noticed a big difference midrange with the wires. I thought it was a fuel issue but with your wires it runs smooth thru the RPM range.

My buddy got a few pics of me launching, I'll see when he can get them to me and I'll post them. I forgot the video cam today cause I was in such a hurry. We'll get the clutch figured out and hopefully be racing next weekend. I'm gonna check the run out on the crank. The way the clutch fell apart it just seems odd.
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 12:01 AM

Its so cold in FL, I mite be ice
racing here also Good
luck with your problems.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 01:06 AM

Quote:

A U T O M A T I C

Yeah cause there are never any issues with a slush box...
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 02:19 AM

Wow, 98.81 how long is that lake, Did ya have to refuel during that pass?
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 05:03 AM

Quote:

We got the car back together with a blowproof bell. Went to track today. First pass had clutch adjustment issues. Second pass ran a 98.81 went thru the traps in 3 rd gear around 7400 ... Third pass the clutch disk fell apart...

So I def need more gear like 6.17 or something... Hopefully the pressure plate or the flywheel aren't damged. If they aren't I'll get a new disc and run again next weekend.. We'll see how it broke and hopefully be able to figure out why it broke...

Bummer! What kind of disc was it? Please don't tell me it was a Zoom or from Napa! How tall of a tire are you running on that thing?

Pics please!
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 05:11 AM

Yes I have to agree those zoom clutches wear out about in about 800 passes like this, so I bought another one

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 06:14 AM

Quote:

Wow, 98.81 how long is that lake, Did ya have to refuel during that pass?

We have over 1000 ft of run off. That is way more than enough. Nah we had enough fuel for that 660 lol....

Et was 8.117 not bad for ice and not even in the power band

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 06:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bummer! What kind of disc was it? Please don't tell me it was a Zoom or from Napa! How tall of a tire are you running on that thing?

Pics please!

Centerforce dual friction. I called CF when I installed it, they said I was pushing the limit on slipping it. They never mentioned anything about the disc itself falling apart. I'm gonna call them Mon morn and see what they have to say.

I was trying to run the shortest tire possible so I am running 295/50/15. They are 26 I believe. So now I need bigger gears, but I don't see anyone that makes bigger than 5.13 for 8.75.....

I should have pics tomorrow...
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 07:57 AM

Quote:

Yes I have to agree those zoom clutches wear out about in about 800 passes like this, so I bought another one

Curious to hear what you car weight is...my zoom did not last at 3500lb.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 03:00 PM

You sure a centerforce is OK for the RPM your turning? A friend of mine ran one in a mustang with a 7000 shift point. His flung the material off the disc on a missed shift once before...it might have happened twice i can't recall.

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 03:38 PM

Quote:

You sure a centerforce is OK for the RPM your turning? A friend of mine ran one in a mustang with a 7000 shift point. His flung the material off the disc on a missed shift once before...it might have happened twice i can't recall.

The tech didn't say anything but I'll ask him again. I told him i was running high RPMS and he didn't say anything about it. All he said was I was pushing it with almost 600 ft lbs of tq. I'll run it by them again tomorrow after I get the bell apart and see how it broke.

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 03:40 PM

Here are some pics. They aren't the best...

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 04:12 PM

Too long of a burnout...... LOL

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 10:06 PM

LOL.... Gotta get the snow out of the screws

I few more pics from the local paper...

Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 10:10 PM

you guys are crazy I would take up knitting before I would do that
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 10:49 PM

Looks like you got the windows down ????

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 10:57 PM

Quote:

Looks like you got the windows down ????

No windows....
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 11:06 PM

why not???

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 11:13 PM

Quote:

why not???

Don't have the correct hardware to install them
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 11:15 PM

Windows are overrated

Man, that looks like fun! I wish it was just a little closer.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 11:15 PM

Iss it too flat to Ski there or what??

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/10/10 11:19 PM

Quote:

Iss it too flat to Ski there or what??

No there is a ski hill just 10 mins from my house with 30 some runs.....
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/11/10 02:09 AM

Quote:

why not???

Dont want the front windshield to fog up.
Posted By: voigtspeed

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/11/10 04:35 AM

You have a ways to go my 15 year old son ran a 7.9 spining half the way his first time racing out there last year with my 27 ford hotrod with a worn out old 440............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2c-re_Ppw4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMoce7MZY10&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzsWgi2lWJE

here i hope is a video of him and a 140 m.p.h. dragster pass..

Attached picture 5727029-draggers_82.jpg

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/11/10 12:40 PM

Quote:

You have a ways to go my 15 year old son ran a 7.9 spining half the way his first time racing out there last year with my 27 ford hotrod with a worn out old 440............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2c-re_Ppw4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMoce7MZY10&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzsWgi2lWJE

here i hope is a video of him and a 140 m.p.h. dragster pass..

WOW!!!! REALLY?????? DO YOU WANT A COOKIE????

Since your car weighs 1500 lbs less, I'd hope you could do better than that.

Obviously you didn't read very well, I only made one pass and I was having clutch problems.

From the one pass I figured out alot, and the rear gears are no where near what I need for this.

Go thump your chest somewhere else
Posted By: LAR_414

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/11/10 12:47 PM

My dad had a CF disk fall apart too. Sent it back to them and they fixed it free of charge. He still runs CF dual frictions in his RR.
Posted By: Smoparmike

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/11/10 02:06 PM

Ice is a lot different then blacktop. More gear more spin. I ran 7.80s in 3700lb Plymouth with a iron headed 440. Get it to some what hook first. everyone said your motor sounded good just spun bad. Just some advice from an old timer do with it want you want. Would be nice to see a mopar do good out there again. Mike

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/11/10 02:21 PM

Quote:

Ice is a lot different then blacktop. More gear more spin. I ran 7.80s in 3700lb Plymouth with a iron headed 440. Get it to some what hook first. everyone said your motor sounded good just spun bad. Just some advice from an old timer do with it want you want. Would be nice to see a mopar do good out there again. Mike

The first pass that I ran 98 we had 30 lbs of air. I figured thats why it was spinning so bad. So we dropped it down to 22, just the burnout launched harder than the last time. Then the clutch disc fell apart so TNT was over for me.

As long as your not gonna bash, and put people down I'll listen. like I said this is my first time ever drag racing on ice. It's totally new to me....

Where are you from Mike? Do you own the red belvadere that was out there a few years back?

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/11/10 11:07 PM

yep that is me. 2005 ez street world champ. Started in 1988 was even pres of club for awhile. Tires and suspension are key and of course hp. good to see some new blood out there. What class are you trying to run? Mike
Posted By: plumber425

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/11/10 11:20 PM

How do you guys launch these cars Its hard enough gettin to hook in 50* weather.........

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/11/10 11:23 PM

I was gonna run modified production. Going with the ram drag race clutch disc now, Gritzmacher is remachining my pressure plate. There won't be any slipping now. If I shift the way I did, I could run the 8.0 class and do pretty well, but will have a hard time not breaking out. Since I ran 8.177 @ 98.10 The car should hit 120 providing I get the right gearing and hook up...

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/11/10 11:26 PM

Quote:

How do you guys launch these cars Its hard enough gettin to hook in 50* weather.........

Screws!!! Lots and lots of screws...

Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/11/10 11:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've seen proqupines with fewer quills than that!
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/12/10 01:52 AM

Found you a pit bike buddy ! LOL

Attached picture 5728972-icepitbike.jpg

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/12/10 12:27 PM

Thats funny there

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/12/10 01:34 PM

You should give those camaros a run if you get hooked up.
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/12/10 04:25 PM

My only question is this though. Doesn't the starting line ice get thin? Because it sure looks like some do actually spin the tires. With screws like that digging into the ice, I don't think it would take long to take 4 - 5 inches off the starting line. I'd be afraid I'd break through. Or is that not an issue. First I should have asked how thick the ice is. So how thick is it?

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/12/10 05:12 PM

Ice is around 18 inches. Yes the starting line does get ground down 4-6 inches depending on the ice conditions..
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/12/10 05:38 PM

How hard do you launch on the ice?, Do ya just nail it and let it eat?
Posted By: plumber425

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/12/10 11:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LMAO! looks like that tire is in ur living room.
Any video? what do you run in the summer time or on the ice? Wow I thought we were nuts runnin in 40* weather

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/13/10 01:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LMAO! looks like that tire is in ur living room.
Any video? what do you run in the summer time or on the ice? Wow I thought we were nuts runnin in 40* weather

LOL... CLose it's on the kitchen table. I didn't feel like heating the garage just to screw tires. So we layed down a bunch of cardboard and did them on the table. It's a bachelor pad so no one around to yell

Haven't run the car in the summer with this engine yet. Looking to get some good passes this weekend with video
Posted By: SD800

Re: Ice drags.............. - 01/13/10 03:28 PM

You cheeseheads are alway coming up with some crazy sh**, awesome, I love it . 120 on ice in a car, you guys are nuts
© 2024 Moparts Forums