Moparts

who is round track and who is drag strip

Posted By: jnkgal

who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 04:03 AM

who is round track and who is drag strip
why do you choose round or drag strip over the other??
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 04:08 AM

Drag strip. Short attention span.
Brian

Attached picture 5717322-newmoparmania212.jpg
Posted By: chryco

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 04:13 AM

If you can still turn left after the straight ....you`re not going fast enough !!!!!!!!!
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 04:17 AM

Drag.

I'm way to "competative" to be on a round track where I can "bump" others
Posted By: greendart408

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 04:38 AM

I do both...
Best of both worlds, I drive a dirt late model every sat. night in the summer and Drag race as much as I can, which hasnt been very much the last couple of yrs.
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 05:09 AM

Im a drag racer all the way!!
there is something wrong with a person who drives in circles all day.
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 05:25 AM

Drag Race... because its not a race if the start and finish line are in the same spot.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 05:28 AM

Round track! That aint racing is is driving, I mean they drive around looking for the finish line. We drag racers just drive straight to it. Seriously I tried roundy round racing, IMCA Modified style and it was just to much work. We were ALWAYS working on the car. Drag racing fits me better, short attention span and for the most part nothing to do on the car
Posted By: 1972cudaguy

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 09:28 AM

round track , I'd love to be able to get / recreate a Petty Kit car . Or a Mopar powered supermodified

Attached picture 5717677-EdClocesidecuda,driverGuyChartrand.jpg

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 09:30 AM

second thought , I'd drag race if I found this :

Attached File
5717678-20_3.jpe  (119 downloads)
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 12:55 PM

I’m confused, I thought drag racing was the only kind of racing....maybe that wasn’t a parade I saw on TV with the cars turning in circles…
Posted By: notchbackcuda

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 01:05 PM

Drag Strip: Circle Track is too expensive for me. Besides, I don't think my personality is aggressive enough to be a circle track racer.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 02:27 PM

i have buddies that circle jerc, uh, i mean race, but they are machinist and fabricators,for the average guy it can be really expensive.plus from a spectators veiw it seems on these short tracks whoever starts out in front wins 99% of the time.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 02:28 PM

I love both, I like to watch the 1/4 mile sprint to see who has the absolute most power, but then I like watching 30 laps of dirt racing. Its not all power, in some cases we only use a small portion of whats available. Track conditions, and set up are key. You either guess perfect, or completely wrong. Very seldom do you nail it every night, and in some cases the track goes away, or come in to your car. Its great fun, and I have to say DIRT oval, and Drag are the best. NASCAR, that is just a joke...

Kasey
Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 02:32 PM

My Sprint car days are over, I loved the excitement, still hold the altitude record at Chico Ca., but it was hard on the wife's nerves when your nickname is the "stunt pilot". I still don't understand why I'm not allowed to cross the centerline and get up close to the competition. I grew up at the Drags and it's nice to be home.

Attached picture 5717892-MyPictures068.jpg
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 02:42 PM

Quote:

round track , I'd love to be able to get / recreate a Petty Kit car . Or a Mopar powered supermodified

We are building a mopar powerplant for our Latemodel. Gonna be 352", and make at least 500hp with a 500 2 bbl holley.

Oh and rpm from 3k to 8500!! for up to 30 laps on and off the gas like a driver with tarrets syndrom.

Kasey
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 03:04 PM

Did some roundy-round back in the mid 80's up in NH, Lee Speedway 1/3 mile tri-oval and the Saturday Night Thunder Series next door to New England Dragway in Brentwood 1/4 mile....had fun, did real well but just never really enjoyed the track atmosphere at the level we raced, so it was back to Drags and never looked back

In the pits between heats at Lee Speedway

Rickster
Posted By: Somerdale Flash

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 03:10 PM

Pretty cool stuff there Rick!
Posted By: OldHippie

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 03:30 PM

I was dedicated to Drag Racing for the better part of 35 years. I started to pit crew on a friends IMCA style modified after I retired and am having a ball. Best of both worlds? You bet!

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 03:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks Walt....The racing was fun....just Hobby Stock...we won a ton of races and were quite frowned upon mainly due to the fact we had the money to run good parts (mainly safety related) but it didn't sit well with the other racers

I had no less than 7-8 Monte Carlo bodies out back and every week we came looking like new...just the way we did things.

I remember the track owner "RED" asking us once if we could just slow down enough to at least make it look like it was hard.... My partner "John DiBurrough" did most of the driving....the guy was deadly and the car was set up well....I did my share of driving, but John was the Champ

Rickster
Posted By: codfish

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 05:05 PM

Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 05:07 PM

ADHD here, Only Drag for me.....
Posted By: cudasteve68

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 05:08 PM

Quote:

Drag Strip: Circle Track is too expensive for me. Besides, I don't think my personality is aggressive enough to be a circle track racer.

I am a drag racer all the way.
However, every year Sandusky (Ohio) Speedway has a Hangover Race New Years Day, and use to also run a demo deby. I had a '71 4-door 318 Dodge that I demo'd at the local fair one summer and went out real early to broken shifter linkage. We were going to finish the car off that winter at the Hangover Derby on pavemnet. We got there and the Demo had been cancled, against my judment we entered in the "stock" class. Complete with "I Race At Norwalk" bumper stickers all over the car, Napa Hat on the roof, & snow tires I did finish 3rd to last against "roundy round" Race Cars. That started a yearly tradtion. Soon after they started 4 & 6 cylinder classes. We all picked up $150.00 junkers, stripped them, and had "Race Cars". When cheep cars are found we race "The Hangover Classic". Best finish so far is 5th in a '91 2.2 2 door Laboran. It is fun as we hit close to 60 mph, and rubbing is racing!!! Check out Sandusky's website, they have pics from this years race. I did not run this year.

But on the weekends in the summer you can find me making 1/4 mile blasts in the Cuda.
Posted By: 383man

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 05:22 PM

100% drag racer. Ron
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 05:33 PM

Although I've always been a drag racer, I was involved in some MoPar dirt track cars in the seventies. It was like the WWF, fighting, arguing, over stupid stuff. Then one night someone pulled out a gun, I figured this was whacked, and I never went back.

I went back a year or so to see a pal race, and found it is still the same. Fistfights over who bumped into who in some heat race.

No class.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 05:45 PM

Drag racer here thru and thru, but roundy round on dirt tracks is Cool!

Attached File
Posted By: fasteddie

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 05:54 PM

I crewed years ago for a bud running a street stocker roundy car. We spent most of our time beating the fenders back out, and like was mentioned above, the fighting was out of control. Not fun.
I finally converted him to the drags and we spent time tweaking the car, not doing body work.

Drag racing is much more fun, and a much better family atmosphere, IMO.
Posted By: bigsbigelow

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 06:01 PM

Drag racer here. I would like to build an 8 track car to run at the local fairs, though.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 07:42 PM

What no option C- Mud racing
Posted By: The Shocker

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 09:27 PM

Drag Racer here and Nostalgia only at that.When i close my eyes and think about drag racing ,i see old cars (pre 65 lined up).Nothing against 65 - 72 stuff ,its just not my scene .I like cars that are fast ,but were never suppose to be from the factory ,with the exceptiion of a few pre 65 cars.As far as round track racing ,dirt tracking is big in my area ,but not with me.I just dont get into it .I like drag racing because its over quick and im too impatient to make laps to see who is gunna win ...
Posted By: Somerdale Flash

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 10:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Walt....The racing was fun....just Hobby Stock...we won a ton of races and were quite frowned upon mainly due to the fact we had the money to run good parts (mainly safety related) but it didn't sit well with the other racers

I had no less than 7-8 Monte Carlo bodies out back and every week we came looking like new...just the way we did things.

I remember the track owner "RED" asking us once if we could just slow down enough to at least make it look like it was hard.... My partner "John DiBurrough" did most of the driving....the guy was deadly and the car was set up well....I did my share of driving, but John was the Champ

Rickster

Very Impressive Rick!

Is that you on the left in the picture?

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 10:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am a drag racer all the way.
However, every year Sandusky (Ohio) Speedway has a Hangover Race New Years Day, and use to also run a demo deby. I had a '71 4-door 318 Dodge that I demo'd at the local fair one summer and went out real early to broken shifter linkage. We were going to finish the car off that winter at the Hangover Derby on pavemnet. We got there and the Demo had been cancled, against my judment we entered in the "stock" class. Complete with "I Race At Norwalk" bumper stickers all over the car, Napa Hat on the roof, & snow tires I did finish 3rd to last against "roundy round" Race Cars. That started a yearly tradtion. Soon after they started 4 & 6 cylinder classes. We all picked up $150.00 junkers, stripped them, and had "Race Cars". When cheep cars are found we race "The Hangover Classic". Best finish so far is 5th in a '91 2.2 2 door Laboran. It is fun as we hit close to 60 mph, and rubbing is racing!!! Check out Sandusky's website, they have pics from this years race. I did not run this year.

But on the weekends in the summer you can find me making 1/4 mile blasts in the Cuda.

I've been going to Sandusky since the mid 60's . I remember the good ol' days when there were fields of 20 , 25+ cars . I think the track's gone downhill since Bader had it & the Jaycox's haven't done much better
Posted By: 40ford

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/07/10 10:15 PM

There are advantages to both types of racing. And, there are many different levels in both types of racing.

We just got out of dirt Super Late Model racing---after almost 30 years for me. The up and downs of emotion are beyond belief for most drag racers. But I just couldn't continue to work on the race car 30+ hrs/week, fund cash flow in excess of $100K/yr., race 10 months/yr. , and race at 50+ locations/yr. So we sold everything out(at the right time, before the market fell) and now plan to campaign our P7 powered, FED in 2010.

So far, I enjoy my return to drag racing.

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/08/10 12:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

Very Impressive Rick!

Is that you on the left in the picture?

Not the far left Walt....lol, but yes that's me, many many years ago

Rickster
Posted By: justinp61

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/08/10 01:03 AM

I drag race as a hobby but have spent a lot of time working on dirt late models. The guy that gave me my first job ran a dirt car so naturally I helped. After he quit I helped on a couple other cars. It was fun and we traveled a lot but the got old. So after several years of dirt I quit.

Drag racing has always facinated me. When I was young I can remember looking at the photos in Hot Rod magazine of drag racing and trying to imagine what it was like. This was in the mid late 60s. My uncle had Mopar muscle cars then so I was hooked at an early age.
Posted By: jcc

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/08/10 01:21 AM

Me and maybe 1 other guy (not Jean Girard ), if I can find him, might be offended no one asked about those that downshift, and turn left and right and slow down faster then they accelerate, sometimes on hills, blind corners, off camber, passing moving slower lesser class cars, in the rain and even on an unlit track, for hours. Each to their own.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: who is round track and who is drag strip - 01/08/10 03:10 AM

Drag

If I have to turn I prefer to do it both directions. Would love to race at Limerock, but my Wrangler just isn't up to it

I plan to get an XV Level II suspenion for my Hemi car eventually.
© 2024 Moparts Forums