Moparts

Block Rust....

Posted By: dart_73_br

Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 11:40 AM

Hello guys,

how to clean this block rust before honing it ?!

Could do a sandblasting !?

Attached picture 5712681-DSC02059.JPG

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 11:40 AM

Attached picture 5712682-DSC02060.JPG

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 11:41 AM

Attached picture 5712683-DSC02061.JPG
Posted By: FuryUs

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 11:51 AM

I wouldn't sand blast a block. Too much chance of some sand getting trapped somewhere. Shot blast maybe?
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 12:15 PM

Quote:

Hello guys,

I hope you are not expecting to just hone that and put some rings in it...that looks like it needs to be hot tanked, then bored and honed.....
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 12:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello guys,

I hope you are not expecting to just hone that and put some rings in it...that looks like it needs to be hot tanked, then bored and honed.....

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 01:07 PM

Sure will be bored and honed.

Hot tanked is the same as a chemical/acid bath ?!

This was done but just removed the grease and oils. Not the rust.

Any kind of treatments ?!
Posted By: BIG BEAR

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 02:53 PM

Quote:

Sure will be bored and honed.

Hot tanked is the same as a chemical/acid bath ?!

This was done but just removed the grease and oils. Not the rust.

Any kind of treatments ?!

I would throw it in a shot blast machine but you will have to do some machining. I definatly would not sandblast it.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 04:10 PM

good old fasion elbo grease and some OSPHO then rinse and scrub with dish soap,then paint right away.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 04:18 PM

Molasses.

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 04:38 PM

Quote:

Molasses.

Molasses ???
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 05:04 PM

DYI clean up at home.

1 50lb bag of dry molasses (available at feed stores, horeses eat it), one big plastic tub with lid, fill with water, let it ferment for a couple weeks (warmer the better), add block, let it sit for a couple more weeks with a tight lid (it reeks, must be outside). Remove clean block.
Posted By: The Nutcracker

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 05:41 PM

Ice blast it! Here in Sweden we hava some companys blasting with ice instead of sand. Perfect! Leaves nothing to clean.
Posted By: Classof70Chally

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 06:10 PM

White vinegar (5% acidic) also works well. I used this to remove residual rust and crud in my cooling jackets that resisted two hot tankings. The vinegar is cheap (about a $1.50 per gal) and rinses off with water. If you decide to do your cooling jackets you need to put the motor on one side at a time on a motor stand. Then buy some cheap rubber expansion plugs to seal the core holes. Then just fill from the water pump port with vinegar untill full. A couple of days will do it. You'll be surprised at what comes out.
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 06:30 PM

Quote:

DYI clean up at home.

1 50lb bag of dry molasses (available at feed stores, horeses eat it), one big plastic tub with lid, fill with water, let it ferment for a couple weeks (warmer the better), add block, let it sit for a couple more weeks with a tight lid (it reeks, must be outside). Remove clean block.

here's what they're talkin about. this is from resto forum... http://www.massmopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1135525788

On another note, my sister is going to sao paolo this spring for a couple of weeks to do a poultry experiment. I go to school at Mizzou(Columbia, Missouri) where I work and know a few Brazilians from Sao Paolo.

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 06:45 PM

Quote:

On another note, my sister is going to sao paolo this spring for a couple of weeks to do a poultry experiment. I go to school at Mizzou(Columbia, Missouri) where I work and know a few Brazilians from Sao Paolo.

Nice!

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 06:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Molasses.

Molasses ???

Yeah! It really works!

Thatīs chemistry!
Posted By: 9secondsatellite

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 09:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Molasses.

Molasses ???

Yeah! It really works!

Thatīs chemistry!

i like the molasses idea but what do you do with the stuff when you're done? how do you get rid of it?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 09:41 PM

Feed it to your horse, of course!
Posted By: 9secondsatellite

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 09:43 PM

i guess in my case it would be a moose.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 09:47 PM

pancakes?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 09:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Molasses.

Molasses ???

Yeah! It really works!

Thatīs chemistry!

i like the molasses idea but what do you do with the stuff when you're done? how do you get rid of it?

I have a hand dug storm drain in my backyard , done by a previous owner , I just dumped it in there , the flies loved it ...

I did this as a test to a set of valvecovers , didn't do it in the order that scott stated , but I'll try it like that and see how it works out that way , the covers need more work and I have a couple blocks to do .

I'll say this , the stuff stinks after a while , I think Tadjou ... RIP ... knew what he was doing when he did it in the colder months and just heated it up , I'm thinking it stunk less ???
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 09:50 PM

Quote:

Just dump it on the ground, it's organic and completely safe.

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/05/10 10:17 PM

Have someone tryed the Electrolysis method ?!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/456478/rust_removal_tip/
http://hellofriendpeace.tripod.com/id7.html
Posted By: Dyno1

Re: Block Rust.... - 01/06/10 02:07 AM

My engine shop has had many blocks like that. Hot tank 1st, then into the bead blaster, looks like new when finished.
© 2024 Moparts Forums