Moparts

'73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ???

Posted By: Troublemaker427

'73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/29/09 10:47 PM

Does anyone have any information on the Rod Shop Demon Bob Riffle drove in pro stock? I'm looking for detail photos such as interior and engine bay shots. Also does anyone know who built the car and if it was an updated earlier car? Also does anyone have contact info for Mr.Riffle?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 12/29/09 10:55 PM

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/29/09 11:03 PM

Thanks Fred.

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/30/09 01:26 PM

http://www.prostockhemi.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=934

This appears to be the car I'm interested in.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/30/09 01:49 PM

Jody, I think Riffle had two cars...the one pictured appears to be the Dart Sport.

The last time I knew, the Demon was owned and raced by a guy named Thompson from the Pittsburgh area with a wedge. I think that Ed Eckenrode, a Chrysler rep from Pittsburgh, may have owned for a while before Thompson. It was a regular in brackets at the old Keystone (now Pittsburgh) raceway park. What was unique about, at least in my eyes, was the side bar for the roll cage was high, almost to the level of the driver's shoulders. It was very noticeable and visible through the driver's window.

I don't know what happened to it.....I haven't seen it in quite a few years. Someone told me not too long ago that Thompson (I think it was Bob Thompson) still owned it, and it was parked in the Pittsburgh area. I am not sure of that, but that is what I've heard.

Attached picture 5697659-RodShop.jpg
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/30/09 01:57 PM

Quote:

Jody, I think Riffle had two cars...the one pictured appears to be the Dart Sport.

The last time I knew, the Demon was owned and raced by a guy named Thompson from the Pittsburgh area with a wedge. I think that Ed Eckenrode, a Chrysler rep from Pittsburgh, may have owned for a while before Thompson. It was a regular in brackets at the old Keystone (now Pittsburgh) raceway park. What was unique about, at least in my eyes, was the side bar for the roll cage was high, almost to the level of the driver's shoulders. It was very noticeable and visible through the driver's window.

I don't know what happened to it.....I haven't seen it in quite a few years. Someone told me not too long ago that Thompson (I think it was Bob Thompson) still owned it, and it was parked in the Pittsburgh area. I am not sure of that, but that is what I've heard.

Tommy Thomas,has the Demon that Eckenrode had,still has it.It's Viper Red with B-1 engine.

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/30/09 02:23 PM

Yeah, that's him.

Bob, do you have a hand in that car?

I know you owned the Challenger....is that the SS/DA car that McGraw drove?
Posted By: sixpackjeff

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/30/09 02:48 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have any information on the Rod Shop Demon Bob Riffle drove in pro stock? I'm looking for detail photos such as interior and engine bay shots. Also does anyone know who built the car and if it was an updated earlier car? Also does anyone have contact info for Mr.Riffle?

There was a 71 Demon, a 73 Dart Sport and a 75 Dart Sport. Are you interested in the Demon or the 73 car? The Demon was actually a 70 Duster that Riffle built for the Rod Shop. It was reskinned as a Demon when they got the Dodge deal in 71. I have pix of that car from 1975 and it still retains the 71-72 Demon sheetmetal. The 73 car was built for Fons and run briefly by him before he was fired in early 73. That car was taken over by Riffle and Gene Dunlap and was recently in the hands of Jim Kramer and Dick Towers, still in Rod Shop colors (photo below). The 75 was a high tech Bulter built car. It was purchased directly from Gil Kirk in 1978 by Joe Gauger in Indiana. That car is still in his family and has been restored to Rod Shop colors. Riffle is alive and well in Charlotte. PM me if you need his number.

Attached picture 5697746-HemiReunion031.jpg

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/30/09 09:50 PM

Correction. It looks like the 75 Butler car is the one that was recently acquired from the Gaugers. (Mopar Nats stickers on windshield.) It ran in our Nostalgia Pro Stock program in 1995-96. We talked with Gil Kirk and convinced Joe to repaint the car in the original colors. Last time I saw it, it had an aero scoop and Drag Lites. Looks like the original parts were put back on for Kramer & Co. So who has the red 73?

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/30/09 10:42 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that's him.

Tommy was a good friend of Curt's.The Challenger was an SS/E stick car that Bob Bonds ran.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/30/09 10:46 PM

Great History! I didn't know Riffle was a Neighbor of mine and I've lived in Charlotte for 23 years!!

Speaking of the Rod Shop, does anyone know what happenened to Dave Boertman's(sp) 71 Charger that won all the races and really put the Rod Shop on the Map?
Posted By: Frito

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/30/09 11:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, that's him.

Tommy was a good friend of Curt's.The Challenger was an SS/E stick car that Bob Bonds ran.

Challenger or CHARGER????
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/30/09 11:26 PM

[Quote:]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that's him.

http://2002p51.fotki.com/model_cars/stock_super_stock/ds06.html

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/30/09 11:34 PM

Thanks for the info guys!! Attached is a photo of the car we are trying to find info on. A buddy owns it and we had it at the All Hemi Reunion at Salem. Some of the paint traces on the car lead us to possibly think it could be a Rod Shop car but it is a long shot I know. We are just trying to unlock the history of this thing and keep hitting dead ends.

Attached picture 5698747-AllHemiReunion\'08A001.jpg

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/30/09 11:45 PM

Quote:

Great History! I didn't know Riffle was a Neighbor of mine and I've lived in Charlotte for 23 years!!

Speaking of the Rod Shop, does anyone know what happenened to Dave Boertman's(sp) 71 Charger that won all the races and really put the Rod Shop on the Map?

The 71'Challenger that Boertman had all the wins in was a SS/IA car. It was sold to local mopar racer Paul Marcum. He ran it for a couple of years with very little luck. He put a Hemi in it and ran it in SS/DA. I don't know what he ended up doing to it.

Attached picture 5698763-PRP1.jpg
Posted By: Phil Saran

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 12:02 AM

Since Dick Towers passing what has happened to
the Rod Shop Dart that he had bought?

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 12:17 AM

Quote:

[Quote:]

Quote:

Yeah, that's him.

1970 Challenger 4 speed SS/E.Have the pictures of it in the Rod Shop colors as raced.The car was bought orignally by two local guys,Deblasio and Grey,the sold it to Jerry Pochieba who sold it to Curt.Curt sold it and his 67GTX to a guy down the street who still owns both cars.

http://2002p51.fotki.com/model_cars/stock_super_stock/ds06.html

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 12:24 AM

Jody, that has to be someone's old PS car. It would be really interesting to find the history of it.

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 12:57 AM

It's a acid dipped, Don Hardy car. Mag "Ramcharger" Dana lots of "light" parts. Herb McCandless looked at it at Salem and thinks it was a "good" car but didn't know whose. It had a Hemi & Lenco at one time. It is a good unmolested "survivor".
Posted By: mike s

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 12:59 AM

Jody,are there more pics of the car? Inside,underhood or maybe suspension?

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 01:13 AM

This is all I have right now but I can get more.

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 01:23 AM

Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 01:38 AM

YES!!The REUNION.

Attached picture 5699030-IMG_1201.JPG

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 01:39 AM

Attached picture 5699034-IMG_1203.JPG

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 01:40 AM

Attached picture 5699038-IMG_1214.JPG

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 01:41 AM

Attached picture 5699043-IMG_1213.JPG
Posted By: Somerdale Flash

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 01:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info guys!! Attached is a photo of the car we are trying to find info on. A buddy owns it and we had it at the All Hemi Reunion at Salem. Some of the paint traces on the car lead us to possibly think it could be a Rod Shop car but it is a long shot I know. We are just trying to unlock the history of this thing and keep hitting dead ends.

That car ran Chryslers at Carlisle in 2003-2004
Won Super Pro, and Pro one year...
Won Pro the next year.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 02:14 AM

Where's Stewart?

Is the Don Carlton B/A Dart or his yellow test car accounted for?
Posted By: RaceCarRegistry

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 02:25 AM

I know it ain't the test car - Reed in Neb.
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 03:11 AM

Quote:

I know it ain't the test car - Reed in Neb.

Not a Carlton piece at all.
Posted By: 8secDart

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 03:41 AM

Looks like a Butler built car.The front suspension looks like his.
Posted By: KD800X

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 06:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There was a 71 Demon, a 73 Dart Sport and a 75 Dart Sport. Are you interested in the Demon or the 73 car? The Demon was actually a 70 Duster that Riffle built for the Rod Shop. It was reskinned as a Demon when they got the Dodge deal in 71. I have pix of that car from 1975 and it still retains the 71-72 Demon sheetmetal. The 73 car was built for Fons and run briefly by him before he was fired in early 73. That car was taken over by Riffle and Gene Dunlap and was recently in the hands of Jim Kramer and Dick Towers, still in Rod Shop colors (photo below). The 75 was a high tech Bulter built car. It was purchased directly from Gil Kirk in 1978 by Joe Gauger in Indiana. That car is still in his family and has been restored to Rod Shop colors. Riffle is alive and well in Charlotte. PM me if you need his number.

Jeff, Didn't Riffel go to work for Petty after he left the Rod Shop?

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 01:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The 71'Challenger that Boertman had all the wins in was a SS/IA car. It was sold to local mopar racer Paul Marcum. He ran it for a couple of years with very little luck. He put a Hemi in it and ran it in SS/DA. I don't know what he ended up doing to it.

Poppa J, The Challenger has been fully restored with the 383 and was at the 2008 Mopar Nats and also at Columbus for the Chysler Classic? where a Rod Shop reunion was set up. The guy had gotten the car from Paul years ago and did still live somewhere in the Columbus area. He had photos of the "White Top" Challenger with his display also. More on that later!!!! Reasbeck, where are you???

Attached File
5699866-Whitetopwithshaker.mht  (170 downloads)

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 01:11 PM

Quote:

Bill McGraws Hemi, 4SPEED. CHARGER! There were 3 Superstock Rod Shop Challengers, the white Hemi driven by Dave Conners, after he sold his Rod Shop Camaro convertable to Sherman Gerlach. The "White Top" 383 Challenger, driven by Dave Bortman while the famous car was being built. And the well known Bortman 383 with shaker that was sold to Paul Marcum. BG, is the one Curt had the Dave Conners Challenger?? I spoke with Bortman at Indy and he did not know what happened to the "White Top" car.

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 01:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bill McGraws Hemi, 4SPEED. CHARGER! There were 3 Superstock Rod Shop Challengers, the white Hemi driven by Dave Conners, after he sold his Rod Shop Camaro convertable to Sherman Gerlach. The "White Top" 383 Challenger, driven by Dave Bortman while the famous car was being built. And the well known Bortman 383 with shaker that was sold to Paul Marcum. BG, is the one Curt had the Dave Conners Challenger?? I spoke with Bortman at Indy and he did not know what happened to the "White Top" car.

Curt's Challenger was peral white,with candy red and blue Rod Shop logo and Bob Bonds name was on the door.Curt Jr is going to try and get some pictures up.It was a 4 speed and ran Crager wheels.The car still had the am/8track and rear window defroster.Decoded it was a original R/T Hemi Challenger,vinyl roof,plum crazy,rally hood car.

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 02:31 PM

Bob,

Here is a small picture of the Challenger that was taken after Curt took off the cragers and put them on the 67' RT!

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 02:35 PM

Quote:

Bob,

Here is a small picture of the Challenger that was taken after Curt took off the cragers and put them on the 67' RT!

Thanks Dave,err Mr Evil

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 02:39 PM

Thanks Dave & Bobby!!! I thought I had seen all the Rod Shop stuff, even the Bob Bonds cars but I had not seen this one. As Info, Bob Bonds was at the Mopar Nats with a couple of cars this year. They had not been run is SEVERAL years.

Thanks again.
Frito

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 03:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks Dave & Bobby!!! I thought I had seen all the Rod Shop stuff, even the Bob Bonds cars but I had not seen this one. As Info, Bob Bonds was at the Mopar Nats with a couple of cars this year. They had not been run is SEVERAL years.

Thanks again.
Frito

Bob Stape(Street&Strip Shop) owned Bob Bonds ,Rod Shop Hemi Colt,an original A-990(that he wrecked) and Paul Lance's 68 Hemi Cuda.One of our guys owns the restored versions of the 990 and Cuda.

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 12/31/09 05:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That car ran Chryslers at Carlisle in 2003-2004
Won Super Pro, and Pro one year...
Won Pro the next year.

Yes it did. Same owner still has it.
Posted By: Somerdale Flash

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 02:55 AM

Here is a pic of that car from Carlisle during a time trial, courtesy of ABJ. The yellow Duster in the other lane Runner upped to the Dart Sport, Two years in a row. Their lights in the finals. .000 to .001 footbraking.
http://www.abodyjoe.com/Misccars/2004%20shows/carlisle/DSC00932.JPG

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 04:55 PM

Jeff, Didn't Riffel go to work for Petty after he left the Rod Shop?

Yes, Riffle went to work for Petty. Until last year he was working for Dale Eicke developing Barry Grant's Pontiac Pro Stocker. Grant pulled the plug on that program. Riffle is now hanging out with Bob Reed.

BTW; Boertman's restored SS/IA Challenger will be on display at our Ohio Motorsports Expo in Columbus on Feb 6th.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 05:36 PM

Some old pics of your conversation topics..

Attached picture 5703203-IMG.jpg

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 05:36 PM

'nother

Attached picture 5703209-IMG_0001.jpg

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 05:37 PM

'mer

Attached picture 5703212-IMG_0002.jpg

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 05:39 PM

'nudder

Attached picture 5703222-IMG_0004.jpg
Posted By: SSDAcuda

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 05:42 PM

Quote:

'nother

Nice Picture! Thanks!

Attached picture 5703229-SSDAChallenger.jpg

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 05:51 PM

try again

Attached picture 5703269-IMG_0004.jpg

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 05:56 PM

Found another...got a new scanner for Christmas(can you tell?). Beeen going through old pics, time does fly doesn't it. I have pics from '68-present drag racing. Wish I had more of the older times. I share, hope you enjoy. FRED

Attached picture 5703287-IMG_0005.jpg

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 06:14 PM

Fred, Your not kidding about time flying.

Tell Santa thanks for getting you the new scanner, but why dont you start a new thread titled "old drag pictures" or something like that.

These relics should be posted for all to see in their own thread!

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 06:15 PM

And keep em coming!

Post deleted by Defbob - 01/01/10 06:16 PM

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 07:11 PM

Hemi Fred,,,,a couple for your 'personal collection' from the '73 Springnationals.

Attached picture 5703514-IMG_0008.jpg

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/01/10 07:12 PM

mer'

Attached picture 5703517-IMG_0007.jpg
Posted By: TX91971

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/06/10 02:09 AM

Hello Sir,
I am working on a tibute 1971 Dodge Coronet wagon. Do you know where the pic of the wagon was taken? And do you have any other pics of it? Any interior or underhood pics? Can you pm me or email me hemi1971@msn.com thanks
Posted By: chryco

Re: '73 Rod Shop Demon Pro Stock ??? - 01/06/10 02:34 AM

Great pics Fred , glad to see you`re gettin' the hang of that scanner ! Are you using the Irfanview software ?
Rob

Attached picture 5714521-parts1108026.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums