Moparts

Ring Gear questions - Dana 60

Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Ring Gear questions - Dana 60 - 12/23/09 08:59 PM

I just pulled the cover off my Dana and found some pitting out on the edge of the teeth. I'm thinking I was lucky as they were about to start breaking off, but thought it was interesting how they were starting to fail. Looks like there may have been too much stress put on the outside edge.
Any ideas?

Another question, has anyone used one of these Ultimate covers and do you have to machine the caps for the supports in the covers to work?

http://www.jegs.com/i/L.P.W./619/101-60/10002/-1

Attached picture 5685580-Photo061.jpg
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: Ring Gear questions - Dana 60 - 12/23/09 09:00 PM

another picture, the pits were on most of the teeth but not all. And as you can seem some were much worse than others.

Attached picture 5685583-Photo062.jpg
Posted By: 65racer

Re: Ring Gear questions - Dana 60 - 12/23/09 10:57 PM

Don't have any answers, for your questions,
but I found mine broken this past season, and the teeth were gone on the outside edge, just like your's is showing, never had any noise or
anything out of the ordinary, only mine had taken half the tooth off,the only way I found mine, I went to change the gear oil, and teeth were falling out everywhere.

Pattern looked good, quite as a mouse, never figured out why it happened, BUT the next set I put in I took my do-more grinder, and chamfered, the outside edges of the ring, and pinion.

I thought maybe with the sharp edges of the teeth,there was cause for stress risers, with the ring gear rolling in the pinion, just my thoughts,but when I changed the gear out to go to Rockingham, it looked super good, so who knows.

P.S thanks for the mag.

Dave
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ring Gear questions - Dana 60 - 12/23/09 11:14 PM

from my experience , i have only seen that on regular street gears. you wont see that from a pro series gear set. i believe the pro series are a softer steel and with the more brittle regular street gears,your going to get that pitting from hard accelerating.

Attached picture 5685851-Ladderbars63Plymouth,hemiindycrossramoffset,005.JPG
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Ring Gear questions - Dana 60 - 12/24/09 12:45 AM

I was told by one of the Richmond gear reps(engineer) at the track that when you start hurting the outside edge of the teeth on the ring gear to set the pinion depth deeper(closer to the axle centerline), like .010 more than what is on the gear set for pinion depth That is suppose to help make the ring and pinion stay together better when the housing flexs at the hit of the throttle which makes the outsdie edge of the ring gear move away from the pinion which lessens the tooth contact between them BTW, it does help setting them deeper especially on 8 3/4
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Ring Gear questions - Dana 60 - 12/24/09 01:38 AM

I always set mine deeper for the race car. Lots of torque and BIG tires these days move that contact area out quite a bit. Makes it sing a little bit in reverse but it is a RACE CAR.

Posted By: RussW

Re: Ring Gear questions - Dana 60 - 12/24/09 03:23 AM

Quote:

I was told by one of the Richmond gear reps(engineer) at the track that when you start hurting the outside edge of the teeth on the ring gear to set the pinion depth deeper(closer to the axle centerline), like .010 more than what is on the gear set for pinion depth That is suppose to help make the ring and pinion stay together better when the housing flexs at the hit of the throttle which makes the outsdie edge of the ring gear move away from the pinion which lessens the tooth contact between them BTW, it does help setting them deeper especially on 8 3/4

A good reason to use a Moser or Strange Housing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums