Moparts

Any power gain going from gasoline to E85?

Posted By: a408swinger

Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/22/09 01:07 AM

Just wondering if it would be worth the trouble to switch over from gasoline (93 octane) to E85 in a street/strip car with a 418" smallblock. Will E85 make any more power?
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/22/09 01:29 AM

i bet it would with your car...
although ..is the scamp still running the same motor?
it still should make some more power...fwih.
cheapst
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/22/09 01:34 AM

Quote:

Just wondering if it would be worth the trouble to switch over from gasoline (93 octane) to E85 in a street/strip car with a 418" smallblock. Will E85 make any more power?

I cant say for fact but when I switched to E-85 I
went exactly the same ET BUT I havent tuned up the
timing yet to see ... plus for me its CHEAP fuel
and I buy it at my local Meijer so its easy to get
(summer fuel only)
Posted By: hemiiroc

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/22/09 01:34 AM

on 6-7 engine i've done it has been a minimum of 10 hp and up to 40 on several
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/22/09 02:11 AM

It should make a slight gain, but it depends.
What is your engine/car combo now? What does it run? Is E85 available near you? Do you plan on running it in the winter? Winter mix (70-75% ethanol) should not cause you any detonation issues due to your "low" CR and octane requirement, but it will require a tune-up adjustment (mixture) when you change from 80-85% to winter grade.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/23/09 02:25 AM

Has anyone encountered any long term effects of E-85? The new "Flex Fuel" cars mention more maintenance and degrade of the fuel system with the use of E-85 in their owners manuals.

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/23/09 03:23 AM

Quote:

Has anyone encountered any long term effects of E-85? The new "Flex Fuel" cars mention more maintenance and degrade of the fuel system with the use of E-85 in their owners manuals.

Nothing yet but its only been a couple of years now
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/23/09 04:06 AM

Quote:

I don't have any experience using any alcohol/ethanol in a race engine. But I have seen several fast alcohol bracket cars, and they run cooler. They also require a much richer air/fuel ratio. I have not heard of anything good from its use in street vehicles and this site backs up some of what I already knew, and offers some more information.

Negative ethanol info.

(Don't mean to turn this into a political thread, just adding to the info pool and people can make their own determinations.)
Posted By: a408swinger

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/23/09 04:09 AM

Quote:

What is your engine/car combo now? What does it run? Is E85 available near you? Do you plan on running it in the winter? Winter mix (70-75% ethanol) should not cause you any detonation issues due to your "low" CR and octane requirement, but it will require a tune-up adjustment (mixture) when you change from 80-85% to winter grade.

The motor is a 9.7 to 1 compression 418 with Indy 360-1 heads, a bullet roller cam, and a 1000 cfm Pro systems carb. Its in a 72 Scamp and runs 6.60's on motor and 5.90's on spray. I mix some 110 with the pump gas when I spray it. Any issues or problems with running E 85 all the time?

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/23/09 04:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The motor is a 9.7 to 1 compression 418 with Indy 360-1 heads, a bullet roller cam, and a 1000 cfm Pro systems carb. Its in a 72 Scamp and runs 6.60's on motor and 5.90's on spray. I mix some 110 with the pump gas when I spray it. Any issues or problems with running E 85 all the time?

The only issue you would have running it all the time
is that using a carb you would need to re -tune it
in the fall and again in the spring for the winter
summer grade fuels... injected cars its done for you
in the computer (larger injector pulse)
Posted By: Von

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/23/09 01:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't have any experience using any alcohol/ethanol in a race engine. But I have seen several fast alcohol bracket cars, and they run cooler. They also require a much richer air/fuel ratio. I have not heard of anything good from its use in street vehicles and this site backs up some of what I already knew, and offers some more information.

Negative ethanol info.

(Don't mean to turn this into a political thread, just adding to the info pool and people can make their own determinations.)

The link you posted is propaganda, plain and simple. Further I cant see that it has bearing on us hobbyists or racers. You have to understand there is a HUGE difference between E10 gas and E85. Of course E10 gas is going to cause some problems(Esp in newer outboard engines), the typical passenger car fuel system was not designed for E10. E85 is a completely different animal, when your fuel system is right for it.

FWIW, in regards to your statement of a much richer fuel mixture. Sort of a false statement. FWIW, my street car get about 9-10 MPG on gas, about 7 on E85. FWIW, the 9-10 was with a pig rich carb and 3.23 gears. THe 7 is with a decent tune and 4.30s.

To the OP, you need to find better info, say raceon85.com and go from there.
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/23/09 10:00 PM

I switched my racecar to E85 last year but I really don't see any benefits of switching a pump gas engine to E85. Its not much cheaper than 93. It is absolutely worth the swap on an engine that is using racing gas at $7 per gallon.

My car runs exactly the same on E85 as 110. If I can just get used to the smell.
Posted By: springers340dart

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/23/09 10:40 PM

Quote:

If I can just get used to the smell.

ahhh the smell is definetly somthing to get used to and dont smell too bad!! haha
Posted By: Bakaruda432

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/23/09 10:46 PM

Wouldn't E-85 show a biggier improvement in Boosted engines?
Posted By: oldtimer5151

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/23/09 10:59 PM

E-85 will run a bit cooler and cost less than race gas. The btu is less than gas so more has to be burnt to equal gasoline. The carb. will have to be opened up.
Posted By: street_dart

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/24/09 12:12 AM

I run my 499 13.7-1 engine on the same dyno same day.
60 more Hp on VP 109 unleded comperd to E-85 from the pump.

And this was full tuned on e-85. We tuned it for two days on e-85. The last thing we did was putting the old gas carb on and pick upp 40 on the first run. After some tuning we pick upp 20 more.

E-85 is not as good as race gas!
Comperd to pump gas I dont know?
Posted By: BobR

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/24/09 12:24 AM

Quote:

I run my 499 13.7-1 engine on the same dyno same day.
60 more Hp on VP 109 unleded comperd to E-85 from the pump.

And this was full tuned on e-85. We tuned it for two days on e-85. The last thing we did was putting the old gas carb on and pick upp 40 on the first run. After some tuning we pick upp 20 more.

E-85 is not as good as race gas!
Comperd to pump gas I dont know?

I agree with this completely.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Any power gain going from gasoline to E85? - 12/24/09 04:15 PM

FWIW, on my 511 CID, using runs in comparable weather condition, the E85 was quicker by about a tenth. The torque improvement may be more than the hp improvement, but I just use the timeslip.

110 Gas: 83F, 47%RH, 29,84"Hg, 9.51 at 139 mph
Pump E85: 85, 50%RH, 29.79"Hg, 9.39 at 140 mph (worse conditions than gas)

110 Gas: 83F, 23%RH, 30.11"Hg, 9.43 at 139 mph
Pump E85: 83, 39%RH, 30.06"Hg, 9.34 at 141 mph (worse conditions than gas)

And in cooler weather, the difference will be smaller.
© 2024 Moparts Forums