Moparts

my rear diff going away

Posted By: sixpackgut

my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 06:18 PM

had a hard time getting both wheels to do a burn out on sunday. this also happened when i let someone borrow my car for the bracket finals and he went out 1st round.

i really dont have any money for a locker so i was thinking mini spool because its something i think i could do myself.

i dont know what unit i have in my rear either. i cant tell one from another

what should i do?

i did manage to run a bunch of 6.30s capped up, when i opened the cutouts it went to blowing off the tires
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 07:15 PM

put a spool in it and be done! i agonized over which type of posi, and finally went with a spool. i am VERY happy. it's obvious in parking lots and so on, but for worry free "motoring", nuttin' beats a full spool.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 07:18 PM

Yep, time for a spool. You already have aftermarket axles I assume, put one in and be done with it.

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 07:39 PM

i was thinking the same thing but the people i know agonize over setting up a dana. then there is the different carriers that i have no idea what to buy. thats why im thinking just putting a mini spool in it. but i dont know if its durable enough

for example, me and elvis both have 4.10s in our dana's. he wanted a set of 3.55s to run a radial class event so i said i have them and i will send them to you. they didnt fit his carrier, why, i have no clue. the 3.55s came out of my car. its just not something i have experience with
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 07:41 PM

time to call dr diff. i wouldn't even consider a mini spool- scary.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 07:53 PM

use a full spool. if your gear is a richmond 4.10 it takes a different carrier than the dana spicer 4.10.
Posted By: flathood

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 08:02 PM

Yun the full spool
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 08:19 PM

Hey Ray
I have a friend that has a few used spools,he might sell for a good price. I know one or two of them has stock 30 spines also...

Pm me if your interested.. Im thinking $50-$75 would get you one of these.

Pm me if your interested.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 08:22 PM

Another one of those decisions that seperates a street car from a race car.

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 08:59 PM

Quote:

Hey Ray
I have a friend that has a few used spools,he might sell for a good price. I know one or two of them has stock 30 spines also...

mine is 35 spline. i thought all Danas are 35. i will pull the cover and try to figure out what i have and let you know
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 09:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Ray

mine is 35 spline. i thought all Danas are 35. i will pull the cover and try to figure out what i have and let you know

They are...I was thinking you still had a 8 3/4...thats what these spools are..sorry...I tried
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 09:07 PM

i think there are 2 different ring gears (thick) . Cant remember if there are 2 diff spools . We ran into that issue with my dana 60 .
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 09:09 PM

Quote:

The factory '68 B-body Dana in my wife's '70 Barracuda has 23 spline axles if I remember correctly.
Posted By: BradH

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 09:19 PM

Go ahead and stick a spool in there. It's not like it's a "real" street car, right? /
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 09:21 PM

sorry to hear that Ray you think it could be setting the pinion angle like a 4 wheel drive could have caused it?

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 10:27 PM

Quote:

Go ahead and stick a spool in there. It's not like it's a "real" street car, right? /

mine can do whatever yours can do only faster

Attached picture 5639452-121408004.jpg

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 10:29 PM

Quote:

sorry to hear that Ray you think it could be setting the pinion angle like a 4 wheel drive could have caused it?

go play with your carburator

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/01/09 10:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

go play with your carburator

Imjust picking on you. you did it to me
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/02/09 12:03 AM

Stock '66-'69 passenger car Dana 60: 23 spline axles

Stock '70-'72 passenger car Dana 60: 35 spline axles
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/02/09 12:34 AM

If you want to go cheap....if your suregrip is the bolt together type (powerlock)...then you could just throw new clutches in it to freshen it up.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/02/09 01:00 AM

Ray I had a spool in my challenger and worked great on the street.... just dont go barreling around turns... got my parts from cass also
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/02/09 02:38 AM

If you have a power lok and not a track lok, and you find that it has the newer fiber clutch pack then try to find an all steel clutch pack. They last much longer than the fiber and take much more abuse. The steel clutch pack isn't being made by Dana anymore but they do show up on ebay sometimes (same as Dana 70 clutch pack BTW). Pretty easy to change out if you have a big dead blow to knock the diff back in.

Attached picture 5640135-hemi1705.jpg

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/02/09 06:53 AM

Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/02/09 02:21 PM

What we really need here is the film version of this conversation. SixPackGut,QuickTree, you up for it?

Attached picture 5640864-BURNOUT.JPG
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/02/09 03:37 PM

Get a 9"

Re: my rear diff going away - 12/02/09 04:08 PM

Quote:

Get a 9"

he can only dream about a 9"
© 2024 Moparts Forums