Moparts

Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual

Posted By: Airgrabber

Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 06:06 PM

What kind (brand) floor shifter do you guys like for a street strip application with a manual valve body?
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 06:42 PM

I have an old B&M Pro Stick that does everything I want it to do. Plus is has interchangeable gate plates to go from forward to reverse pattern. A Cheetah or Winters style locks you into a set gate type, I believe.

Whatever you get, stay away from any make ratchet shifter. That ratchet mechanism is liable to fail at the worst possible time, like on the starting line.. DAMHIK...
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 07:12 PM

B & M Pro Ratchet - Can NEVER miss a gear! Had them in last three cars - never had a failure. They even have a cool Carbon fiber Pistol grip one!

I won a $1200 race cause someones Cheeta shifted 1st to 3rd for them in the final round - can't happen with a ratchet unit.

Attached picture 5638975-bmratchet.jpg
Posted By: 7074cuda

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 07:16 PM

I 2nd that,my last 2 cars were B&M pro ratchets.My new car has one also.
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 07:34 PM

Quote:

B & M Pro Ratchet - Can NEVER miss a gear! Had them in last three cars - never had a failure. They even have a cool Carbon fiber Pistol grip one!

I won a $1200 race cause someones Cheeta shifted 1st to 3rd for them in the final round - can't happen with a ratchet unit.

I lost a 5th round because I shifted from 1st to 3rd with my Cheetah. I'll get a ratchet shifter when I can afford one.
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 07:46 PM

Pro Ratchet
Posted By: tex013

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 09:39 PM

Hurst Pro-Matic 2,with the long truck shifter arm.If you want to hide that it is an auto put a manual shifter boot instead of the box.
love the older style,plus the satellite is now Hurst equipped
have fitted a few cars with these shifters

Tex
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 10:27 PM

T/A Cheetah or one of the earlier brands(winters, Fairbanks and so on) Super heavy duty commercial cable and hardware, it is well built and won't wear out
Posted By: topside

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 10:57 PM

Cheetah. Intuitive, one-handed, no BS.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 11:16 PM

My son and I both use the B & M Pro Stick. We love it as it's not to pricey and works just like we want it to. Ron
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 11:22 PM

Hurst pro-matic 2 here...........simple and works great.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 11:28 PM

Quote:

Pro Ratchet

Same here.

A real no nonsense shifter
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 11:46 PM

T/A Cheetah
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/01/09 11:50 PM

T/A Cheetah in the Charger,,,,

PPP in the Belvedere....

Love em both......
Posted By: 11secondC

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 12:10 AM

I love my B&M MegaShifter...been in the car 6 years now, no issues. Can be used as a standard shifter but also has the ratchet mode when things get serious lol...
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 12:46 AM

My preference

Attached picture 5639816-IMG_1726.JPG
Posted By: Youngblood

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 01:59 AM

Sidewinder from Maverick Performance. It is the old Winters shifter. Bolt it in and go. None of that constant adjusting of the cable to get all gears. It's tough and it's simple. Can be had with/without reverse lockout, with/without console, couple different billet knob choices. All in all, a great,reliable piece.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 02:07 AM

I can tell you what to stay away from!!!!!
LOL
I've got a Hurst Lightning Rods, it has the reverse pattern on the display too.

Crazy prices, familiarity needed, and I'm not sure how the longevity will be with a manual valve body, but I will one day find out!

Posted By: BSB67

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 02:24 AM

Don't you just leave it in "D"?

Attached picture 5640085-interior.JPG
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 02:28 AM

good one!!

I guess I'm old school, still like the old T/A Cheetah SCS
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 02:29 AM

I'm interested to know if anyone uses any of the PPP shifters for a street/strip car?
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 03:02 AM

i got the idea for this shifter from Ryan Johnson..I fell in love with it, they work great with reverse pattern valve bodies. I had a few guys help run one down for me..
This thing will give my car the Hemi ca the look I am after...
Hurst Lightning rod shifter
They can be found on ebay but the carry a high price tag...Well as a matter of fact a fully loaded PPP shifter can be had cheaper in some case..
I seen a NOS one go for $1k
Posted By: Airgrabber

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 03:33 AM

Looks like the B&M Pro Ratchet is the most popular choice here. The black stealth unit is sweet looking as well. I guess I should give up the idea of trying to save my stock console now that I'm dipping into the 11's. Next thing is some decent slicks.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 03:43 AM

Cheetha has no equal on the Strip.
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 03:45 AM

Pro Stick is what I have now and have used in the past, but probably won't work with a clean neutral tranny, so may have to go with a PPP.
Steve
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 04:22 AM

Pro Ratchet here.
Posted By: WannaRunner

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 04:52 AM

Quote:

My preference

WOW! thats not a Red, Yellow, Green car. its more like 10.... 9..... 8..... 7.....
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse man - 12/02/09 06:23 AM

Quote:

I'm interested to know if anyone uses any of the PPP shifters for a street/strip car?

I have a PPP in my street/strip Duster.. I freakin love it at the track!! never missed a shift yet.. On the street, it works good, the reverse lock-out takes a bit to get used to... but very easy to overcome..

Also, its a great conversation piece as many people have never seen one and want to know all about it..
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 03:19 PM

Quote:

Don't you just leave it in "D"?

Fastback Charger with column shift? Interesting, and cool.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 03:50 PM

I can tell you what I don't like!

I'd stay away from a Hurst Quarter Stick
It's real easy to go from 1st to 3rd if you don't pull the lever in properly And it's a long throw back to 3rd from 2nd.

I'm paying close attention for everyones opinion also but I have a reverse manual and wan't to be able to smack the thing from 1st to 2nd without having to jump through any hoops.

Then be able to go from 3rd to nutral after I slow down a bit after the stripe.

Hope I dind't highjack the post!
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 04:06 PM

I use a JVX, made by Winters I think.

Attached picture 5641073-IMG_1120.JPG
Posted By: BigEdsGarage

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse man - 12/02/09 04:14 PM

I run a PPP in my car also. It's the only shifter I will ever use from this point on. It exceeded all my expectations in quality and performance..and the support is great! Nearly impossible to miss a shift of select the wrong gear. Detented gates, spring loaded, just push or pull the lever each shift. Reverse pattern or regular, front or rear cable exit, reverse lock out, trans brake and or line lock switch on the handle, neutral safety switch wiring, air shifted if you want, just many of the features...it is by far the most versatile shifter out there and performs flawlessly. Some deep aluminum tranny pans may require the cable bracket be modified. I just got mine from CRT already milled...fit perfect as it was shipped.

None of that stupid pull the trigger on one shift but not the other, make sure you move the lever sideways before the next shift..bla,bla,bla stuff that are design flaws with other shifters IMO. Straight forward or back on each shift and a super solid engagement...you know it is in gear!

Downshifting requires the trigger be pulled separately for each gear change so going back to first requires 2 gate changes, but once you are used to it you can almost work it in one movement. Reverse requires the trigger and top thumb button on the handle to be depressed...as mentioned, a little tricky at first, but there is no way you are hitting reverse by accident.

I would highly recommend the PPP for street or strip use
Posted By: modified1090

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 04:41 PM

Quote:

Pro Ratchet here.

These B&M Pro Ratchet automatic shifters have the style and quality for professional racing, along with easy ratchet action. The Pro Ratchets have an NHRA/IHRA-approved reverse lockout that can be operated with one hand, a neutral safety switch, and a backup light switch. They work with both forward and reverse pattern valve bodies and most 3 and 4-speed transmissions. Compatible with CO2 and electric shifters, these shifters include a brushed aluminum cover and a 5 ft. Super Duty race cable.
the brushed aluminum cover looks nice as it is or can be painted to match interior. summit has them for $190
Posted By: Thackdaddy

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 05:02 PM

I just installed a B&M Stealth Pro and like it a lot. I have only had Winters in the past but the stealth is well built. Sorry the pic is so dark.

Attached picture 5641168-IMG_0404.JPG
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 08:36 PM

anything ratchet.

Attached picture 5641610-PICT0073.JPG
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 09:44 PM

Quote:

I can tell you what I don't like!

I'd stay away from a Hurst Quarter Stick
It's real easy to go from 1st to 3rd if you don't pull the lever in properly And it's a long throw back to 3rd from 2nd.

I'm paying close attention for everyones opinion also but I have a reverse manual and wan't to be able to smack the thing from 1st to 2nd without having to jump through any hoops.

Then be able to go from 3rd to nutral after I slow down a bit after the stripe.

Hope I dind't highjack the post!

Me too!
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse man - 12/02/09 09:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have a PPP in my street/strip Duster.. I freakin love it at the track!! never missed a shift yet.. On the street, it works good, the reverse lock-out takes a bit to get used to... but very easy to overcome..

Also, its a great conversation piece as many people have never seen one and want to know all about it..

I'd rather it be a little tricky then easily go into reverse, haha. Thanks for the info, good to know before forking out the money.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse man - 12/02/09 10:02 PM

Two more things.. the PPP is completely a one handed operation.. everything is done with your thumb and fingers..

Also when driving on the street, hearing the clicks as you go from one gear to the next, there is no mistaking that you're in a race car..
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 11:07 PM

Quote:

Pro Stick is what I have now and have used in the past, but probably won't work with a clean neutral tranny, so may have to go with a PPP.
Steve

Although I've never tried it I belevie the Pro atchet can be used for a clean nuetral VB. Just set it up like you would 4 speed and it should go P R N 1 2 3 N
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/02/09 11:57 PM

You don’t have to give up the stock counsel just because you’re in the 11’s. I run mid 11’s with this. It’s a Hurst Promatic. I have a reverse manual VB.

Attached picture 5642037-shifter002.jpg
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/03/09 12:09 AM

I've had the mega shifter, SCS and the PPP and they all work good. The ratchet shifters and the PPP will never let you miss a gear...if you get too excited with the SCS that can happen, tho. But it(SCS) is extremely effortless and has a rear exit cable for no hassle installation(why I bought it).
Posted By: b1dartsport

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/03/09 05:31 AM

B & M stealth pro ratchet here also. Nicest shifter I have ever used,impossible to miss a shift. The shift handle resembles a slap stick,so it looks cool in a mopar.
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/04/09 03:21 AM

Both our cars have Turbo Action Cheetah shifters. Both are street/strip cars. I had one in my race car back in '95 and had over 800 passes on it and never missed a shift. One handed operation with line lock in the handle. My car came with a ratchet shifter and I hated it on the street,having to ratchet forward and backward everytime you came to a light The Turbo Action shifter works flawlessly.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/04/09 03:45 AM

Ratcheting is part of the fun.
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/04/09 03:23 PM

Quote:

Until the mechanism breaks...I had a fairly new B&M shifter do that to me years ago, one of the springs on the ratcheting pawls broke right after the burnout, pulling up to the line...I lost that round when I could not ratchet back from 3rd to 1st gear...unless they've significantly improved on the ratcheting mechanism I'd stay away.

And for those with a stock console shifter, there is a company that makes a reverse gate pattern you can retrofit to the stock shifter...
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/04/09 03:42 PM

I like the factory floor shifter...click click done. And it's mechanical, adjust it and be done...no stretching or burning up.
Posted By: 727builder

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/04/09 03:50 PM

Another vote for the b&m pro-ratchet. I added the shiftnoid and can't beat them for bracket racing. Turn on the switch and she shift's herself.

Attached picture 5645615-340intake009.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/04/09 03:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Until the mechanism breaks...I had a fairly new B&M shifter do that to me years ago, one of the springs on the ratcheting pawls broke right after the burnout, pulling up to the line...I lost that round when I could not ratchet back from 3rd to 1st gear...unless they've significantly improved on the ratcheting mechanism I'd stay away.

And for those with a stock console shifter, there is a company that makes a reverse gate pattern you can retrofit to the stock shifter...

B&M Pro ratchet here... been in the car for 12 years
and never gave me a single problem and NEVER missed
a gear
Posted By: bb74swngr

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/04/09 04:28 PM

So far the ProMatic2 has worked well for me, street/strip. There are much better ones for racing only. They all seem to work well, just need to determine the style you like.

Attached picture 5645702-greenconsole2.JPG
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/04/09 04:55 PM

Quote:

for those with a stock console shifter, there is a company that makes a reverse gate pattern you can retrofit to the stock shifter...

I tried that plate. It works okay on the street when you’re taking it easy, but sucked big time at the track. It jams up when shifting hard as you normally do at the track. That's why I went to the Hurst promatic II. If anyone wants the plate I'll give it to you.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/04/09 05:38 PM

PPP a great shifter....

Second choice would be the Turbo Action.
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/05/09 01:05 AM

I also use a B&M Pro Ratchet on my car which is 99% street. It's easy to use and install, and not at all a hassle to drive on the street with 1 hand. I welded a couple of bolts to the floor, then made a plate, bolted the shifter to the plate, and then put the plate over the bolts in the floor.

Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: Shifter preference for street and strip,reverse manual - 12/05/09 04:06 AM

If you happen to have a console shifter, you can just grind the 2nd detent off and you'll have a great steet/strip shifter and it won't cost you anything. I think you can do the same thing with column shifters but I haven't done one of those before but works the same way. 1-2 is a bump down and 2-3 is a pull back and bump down.

With a stock console shifter:
- Neutral to First is just a pull
- First to Second is pull and it has a positive stop keeping it from going into third
- Second to Third you push on the button and pull back

Looks completely stock and is but works like an aftermarket shifter.
© 2024 Moparts Forums