Moparts

Best PG Converter brand?

Posted By: The Nutcracker

Best PG Converter brand? - 11/30/09 09:17 PM

Who has the best bang for the buck PGconverters for a dragster? 720HP FED.

Attached picture 5636669-DSC01053.JPG
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Best Converter brand? - 11/30/09 09:19 PM

Powerglide??
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Best Converter brand? - 11/30/09 09:22 PM

I have been real happy with my last two converters. Both were Coan, and one was Powerglide for a dragster.
ATI is also good.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Best Converter brand? - 11/30/09 09:24 PM

Some of the guys around here use BTE..
Posted By: TS3303

Re: Best Converter brand? - 11/30/09 09:30 PM

no offense Bob but I wouldn't run a Coan again if they were free by the truck load. They can't handle high torque motors it would seem. We had two of them in two different cars BOTH ripped the fins out of them and old man coan is an #@&!. Switched to Hughes and no more problems, better performance, and great customer service.
Posted By: The Nutcracker

Re: Best Converter brand? - 11/30/09 09:41 PM

Engine made 722HP/5800RPM 727LBF/4700RPM
Tires:33/10.5 MT slicks
Rear: 8 ¾ rear 4.10 spool
Weight 1688 LBS
1/8 5.34/129.8MPH
1/4 8.45/154.6 MPH
Best 60 foot# 1.1896
Posted By: mafo

Re: Best Converter brand? - 11/30/09 09:55 PM

speaking about customer service
http://www.ultimateconverter.com
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Best Converter brand? - 11/30/09 10:06 PM

there are many to chose from. At the moment I run 2 Hughes and one Abruzzi. I have also run PTC and BTE with good success.
Posted By: supercomp

Re: Best Converter brand? - 11/30/09 10:10 PM

Hughes. Spragless, 845hp on gas dragster. 500ci
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 12:12 AM

Quote:

no offense Bob but I wouldn't run a Coan again if they were free by the truck load. They can't handle high torque motors it would seem. We had two of them in two different cars BOTH ripped the fins out of them and old man coan is an #@&!. Switched to Hughes and no more problems, better performance, and great customer service.

Jim , why don't you tell him how you really feel

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 12:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Non Taken
Im glad he shared his experiences. I know Jim is a veteran racer and knows his way around a race car.
I havent heard any other horror stories about Coan. but Im sure every converter company has them. Im just going by my experiance.
The converter I purchased was actually a custom job for a stroker small block Chevy in a tube chassis car.
So I called them up. Whats nice about the Coan converters is they are stamped, and every detail on the spec sheet can be looked at years later.
They actually told me that it might work pretty good in my car. Even though it was now behind a 560CID big block in a dragster. I was figuring on sending it in, but the actually suggested I tried it.
They was very nice, and sounded sincere..and they just didnt seem to be out for one thing... Money....
I cant say the converter was the best, but it ran good, with good mph and low slippage.
I now have a 727 version, as well as my best friend who now races my old Dakota...
They just perform flawless in trans brake applications for us.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 12:28 AM

I have always used ATI and Trans Specialties in my cars.

Never had any problems.

Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 12:45 AM

I have had much success with Select converters

Attached picture 5637124-atco6.jpg
Posted By: BobR

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 12:57 AM

I don't know about bang for the buck but the best converter I know of is a Neil Chance. Customer service is as good as it gets.
Posted By: TS3303

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 12:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry Steve, can you tell the old man left a lasting impression? You don't see me bashing any companies on here, not even jumping on the easy ICH threads.
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 01:04 AM

ptc here. works good on first shot. kenny knows his mopars.1.11 60 5.04 in 1/8. don't like bte, they couldn't get some right for me
Posted By: 65dragnet

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 01:06 AM

Quote:

He's a hometown guy for me and you couldn't have hit the nail more perfectly
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 01:06 AM

How many race converter companies are out there?
They will probably get a "They are the Best" post..

Chris..
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 12/01/09 03:56 AM

Posted By: 540dust

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 04:04 AM

Neal Chance and Coan here, both have been good.
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 05:41 AM

I've had real good luck with my PTC, At the start of next year I'm going to try an FTI

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 02:33 PM

Quote:

Neal Chance and Coan here, both have been good.

These are the only 2 that would get any of my money.
Posted By: 6packattk

Re: Best PG Converter brand? - 12/01/09 02:38 PM

Nice digger and your user name seems pretty appropriate for the era...
Posted By: 540dust

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 06:35 PM

http://www.bigblockdart.com/photopost/sh...&ppuser=653

Kinda pricey but a good convertor...Neal Chance billet bolt-up 9 1/2" glide.

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 08:56 PM

Quote:

http://www.bigblockdart.com/photopost/sh...&ppuser=653

Kinda pricey but a good convertor...Neal Chance billet bolt-up 9 1/2" glide.

That's our converter. It was worth about .04 over the Chance 1/2 aluminum/steel cover unit we started with.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/01/09 10:34 PM

I'm surprised nobody here voted for A-1. I know I'm a little biased since I know some of the people there but I've had real good luck with their products.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/02/09 05:18 AM

I have been very happy with my ATI. It is killer on the stop.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/02/09 08:40 AM

i've used trans specialties and ATI, no problems with either. there are quite a few vendors that can produce a quality converter but just as important is getting it properly matched to your combination. while i'm sure the criteria the vendors use in selection is important and usually effective in matching the proper converter i know more than a few successful racers that will or have tried just about every converter they can get their hands on to see what works and what doesn't. glides are very sensitive to converter calibration, i'm sure a lot of converters have been deemed "bad" when in fact they were just the wrong one for the combination.

Re: Best Converter brand? - 12/02/09 02:19 PM

"i'm sure a lot of converters have been deemed "bad" when in fact they were just the wrong one for the combination."

Absolutely true. All of the top line converters have basically the same internals. It's almost always just about finding a good match. Bolt togethers off some extra versatility in that one can do some amout of trackside adjusting.
© 2024 Moparts Forums