Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed

Posted By: DemonDust

Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 04:09 AM

Posted By: megajoltman

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick.... - 11/27/09 04:14 AM

OUCH!
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick.... - 11/27/09 04:14 AM

Aww man, that sucks. Looks like all kinds of big dollar mess going on in the photos. What do you think started the chain reaction of breakage?
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick.... - 11/27/09 04:19 AM

Quote:

Aww man, that sucks. Looks like all kinds of big dollar mess going on in the photos. What do you think started the chain reaction of breakage?

driveshaft
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick.... - 11/27/09 04:21 AM

WOW hate to see that.

Lots of RPM's?
Good thing that stock bellhousing held together.

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick.... - 11/27/09 04:22 AM

I'm not really sure. It was the first time spraying the 340. It had a 200 shot. When I shifted from second to third this happened when I let the clutch out. My initial thought was the mechanism screwed up and got stuck in between 2nd and 3rd gear, and it was a chain reaction from there....
Posted By: Dos Snails

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick.... - 11/27/09 04:34 AM

At least it was not the R5 block!
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick.... - 11/27/09 04:34 AM

Holy hog stools !
Had a similar event in a '66 Cyclone at Brainerd years back.
Had a stock shaft balanced and new joints behind a C-6 and a fair 429.
On street tires , it spun through 150 feet or so and when it hooked , it twisted the shaft in half........shelling the tailshaft and oiling the lane for half the track.
Since we were in the third pair in the first time trial session , so you could say that we made no friends that morning.
My better half was driving and she got it over to the rail like you are supposed to do , but it was a long clean up.
I was on the line and when the trans fluid hit the headers , it was white out time.........I didn't know if she was on the wheels or the roof.
But I definitely feel your pain.
Well , maybe not.
Even in 1990 dollars , yours would probably cost more.
Could have been worse , but still , condolences.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick.... - 11/27/09 04:35 AM

I've twisted off a few drive shafts like that ,but never broke all the rest including the motor . Sorry for your loss.

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick.... - 11/27/09 04:42 AM

Quote:

At least it was not the R5 block!

yes, good point, just so everyone knows this is not my white duster....

So it sounds more like the driveshaft broke first?
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick.... - 11/27/09 04:53 AM

wow !!

sorry to see it man....

but you must be making some serious power !!!

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick.... - 11/27/09 05:06 AM

I wouldn't call it serious. With a 200 shot of nitrous I figure it might have been making 650ish?

Just a set of x heads with max porting, 2.02 valves, M1 intake, on a 340 10.5:1, mopar forged crank, eagle rods. It was a budget build at the time.

I don't remember the cam specs off hand, it was comp cam custom ground.

.528 IN
.534 EX
307 Adv duration
114 centerline installed at 110

IIRC... It's been quite a few years since I built this engine.
Posted By: 72demon416

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick.... - 11/27/09 05:56 AM

That SUCKS, It even makes me feel sick.
Posted By: 68Fastback

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 06:28 AM

Wow that is alot of damage, the way the shaft looks is it possible something in the rear end started this, maybe a broken perch. Either way sorry for your loss.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 07:23 AM

Looks like the shaft broke and started the chain reaction. Should be able to fix the block. What does the floor of the car look like?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 07:33 AM

Was that a numbers matching drive train that just got grenaded?
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 07:52 AM

I'd have to assume that something locked up in the trans ro spin it on the bellhousing and break the ears like that. I'll be interested to see what the inside looks like. Bummer!
Posted By: 6T6Cuda

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 08:24 AM

Quote:

I'd have to assume that something locked up in the trans ro spin it on the bellhousing and break the ears like that. I'll be interested to see what the inside looks like. Bummer!

It looks like the trans got jammed up by going into both 2 and 3 gears (there is a lockout on the housing that is "suposeto" prevent this). With the extra power it just did not break loose, A broken fork (between the 1-2) may have cause it not to get out of gear.

Once the trans locked up hard, the weight of the car and the momentum, just twisted the entire engine / tras until something had to give; unfortunately the parts were so equal, a lot gave...

Look at the direction of the twist on the drive shaft, I bet it is not clockwise (going forward) it is ccw (because the wheels were driving against a stopped load)

Be careful taking the tras apart and do some good careful looking to get to the root cause, but that is crazy...
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 10:26 AM

Sorry for the loss, I agree looks like the tranny locked up, and kept breaking stuff till there was no connection to torque input from either end.
Posted By: deaks

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 12:56 PM

That looks bad.
18 mths ago, my driveshaft let go going through the 1/4 finish line at 120 mph, smashed the trans case all the way round, and beat the hell out of the floor.
This year at the same meet, i over revved it and put a piston through the block
Mick
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 01:06 PM

RIP
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 01:27 PM

Quote:

RIP

Sorry for your loss
Posted By: Aspen7695

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 02:39 PM

A similar thing happened to me back in the 70's. First gear galled on the shaft as I shifted into 4th gear at over 100 mph. The tranny and drive shaft looked like yours. It even took all the teeth off the ring and pinion gear. I suggest you check your rear end. It got may attention real quick as my hand was still on the shifter as it almost disappeared down below the floorboard.

I hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get the car back on the strip. You REALLY NEED an SFI bellhousing.

Raul
Posted By: sleepyhead416

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 02:43 PM

Race or Street Why no scattersheid ? Sorry for ur loss but legs are important.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 03:16 PM

Quote:

A similar thing happened to me back in the 70's. First gear galled on the shaft as I shifted into 4th gear at over 100 mph. The tranny and drive shaft looked like yours. It even took all the teeth off the ring and pinion gear. I suggest you check your rear end. It got may attention real quick as my hand was still on the shifter as it almost disappeared down below the floorboard.

I hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get the car back on the strip. You REALLY NEED an SFI bellhousing.

Raul

reminds me of my z28 back in high school...i stuck it in reverse at speed...with 2 (football sized players)friends in back seat.
it the shifter handle stayed in my hand the rest of the trans..proceeded to shread my trans tunnel..like a horror movie..
it fell out of the car and i ran over it..
i still had the shifter in my hand..lol...
broke the block just like yours did..

your lucky the car didnt wreck...
it bruised our star football players foot...he couldnt walk/play for 2 weeks...fwiw
condolences..
cheapst.
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 03:17 PM

Looks like driveshaft to me.
failed and took out rest of components in order.
snapped tail, then case, bell and block.
good example as to why they put supports on lower half of bellhousing to block.
once that shaft goes its done, a place not to skimp.
1350 joints, forged yokes and moly tube, even that is not fore sure.
I'd be more sick from thinking about that factory bell failing.
Sorry for your loss.

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 03:24 PM

Quote:

The reason I didn't have a lakewood on here was because it's maybe a 450 hp car. I know alot more people with higher hp SB still running stock bells.

I wonder if it was a cast iron case if it would have made a difference???
Posted By: west

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 03:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It looks like the trans got jammed up by going into both 2 and 3 gears (there is a lockout on the housing that is "suposeto" prevent this). With the extra power it just did not break loose, A broken fork (between the 1-2) may have cause it not to get out of gear.

Once the trans locked up hard, the weight of the car and the momentum, just twisted the entire engine / tras until something had to give; unfortunately the parts were so equal, a lot gave...

Look at the direction of the twist on the drive shaft, I bet it is not clockwise (going forward) it is ccw (because the wheels were driving against a stopped load)

Be careful taking the tras apart and do some good careful looking to get to the root cause, but that is crazy...

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 03:33 PM

have seen the cast tails fail also, tho not the case but i havent seen it all by far.
1st time I saw a block lose an ear tho, agree it is repairable.
how does the crank and rear main area look?
Posted By: gearjammerdart

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 03:36 PM

I had a clutch come apart and locked up the rear causing the driveshaft to fail. It also broke one ear on the tranny and bottom ear on the block. In this case I was in the top of 4th and pushed the clutch in to take it out of gear. (won't do that again lol)

Donald

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 03:48 PM

The back of the crank has no damage. The clutch isn't broke either.Flywheel bolts are all in tact.

Some one asked about the floor, there is only a small dent right where the sheetmetal on the floor goes up over the rear.

Here's a pic you can kinda see....

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 03:52 PM

was that 18 spline internals?
wondering just what failed, keep us up to date.

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 04:18 PM

Quote:

was that 18 spline internals?
wondering just what failed, keep us up to date.

No just 23 spline, it was only a mild build

I'll probably take the trans apart next week, see whats in there

The rear looks good too except for it snapped 3 of the 4 heads right off the bolts that hold the u joint straps on....

Posted By: Crizila

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 04:31 PM

I see todays racers are making the same mistake as those 40+ years ago did - no scatter shield. I was only stupid ( and darn lucky )once. Considerable more violent explosion than what you went through and still had all my digets ( but not much else )at the end of the track. BTW, had similar block damage and was able to have it repaired.

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 05:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The reason I didn't have a lakewood on here was because it's maybe a 450 hp car. I know alot more people with higher hp SB still running stock bells.

I wonder if it was a cast iron case if it would have made a difference???

I am going to say no...I had a similar incident in my valiant when I broke a shift fork and went for 3rd gear and then all hell broke loose. My bell broke right where yours did near the opening for the clutch fork. It snapped the ears off of the trans case (cast iron) just like yours did. Talk about !

Did that trans have steel shift forks?

ps...so what does the shifter handle look like?
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 08:12 PM

Looking at the driveshaft I have to agree that the transmission locked up. The twist on the shaft is the wrong way. Sorry to see that. Quicktime makes some nice bellhousings for what it's worth. Completely off topic, but I notice your oil filter plate only has four holes. I feel it's worth it on any small block to drill four more in there.
Hope you can get it back on the road soon.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 08:29 PM

Lets see now - A stickshift car with a factory stock driveshaft, factory stock bellhousing, assume you had a driveshaft loop ( in the right spot)at least, 200HP shot to a 400 ( at minimum ) HP 340? Sorry for your breakage, but you had it commin. Consider yourself lucky and take a wise-up pill!
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 sp - 11/27/09 08:42 PM

I have seen this exact thing before but the iron case and tail held up a little better.It also knocked the advance plate loose inside the distributor.Something else you might want to check along with the hub on the disc.If you need a small bearing case send me a PM The shipping will be higher than the price of the case
Gus
Posted By: Jambbii

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 sp - 11/27/09 09:19 PM

I saw this on YB. I feel for you. It makes me sick looking at these pics too
Posted By: Uncle Barry

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 10:10 PM

Quote:

your joking right? .... anyways, that sucks man. glad you are ok. stuff like that can get ugly. good to see its not any worse. sorry for your loss.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 11:00 PM

The 200 shot put it out of the mild build range, safety first I does look like something locked up the gear train, Glad ya didn't get hurt, good lesson for all

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 11:16 PM

Quote:

Nah, it's a 69 340. 72 bell and I think an F body aluminum 833....

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/27/09 11:21 PM

Yeah the 200 shot did put it over mild. My buddy sold me the kit for $150 with bottle. I couldn't pass it up. This is what happened the first time the spray hit the engine so I never even got to feel it
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/28/09 01:21 AM

We sprayed an old 365 cid build a few years back around 400 hp, started with 200 and broke everything you can think of except the engine, droped back to 125 shot and started to have fun, I have had a 150 hp plate set up on my stroker for the past 3 years and never sprayed, cant keep the thing on the ground with out nos
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/28/09 01:29 AM

you do know your ring and pinion is toast, don't you?. been there a few times as well. it sucks.sorry.

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/28/09 06:49 AM

Quote:

Yeah the 200 shot did put it over mild. My buddy sold me the kit for $150 with bottle. I couldn't pass it up. This is what happened the first time the spray hit the engine so I never even got to feel it

I ask again sir...did the trans have steel or brass shift forks?

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/28/09 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I ask again sir...did the trans have steel or brass shift forks?

Brass

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/28/09 05:50 PM

Quote:

you do know your ring and pinion is toast, don't you?. been there a few times as well. it sucks.sorry.

How can you tell from looking?
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/28/09 06:28 PM

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

your joking right?

No, not at all, it would have sucked even worse if it were a numbers combo, why do you feel it's such a question?

Anyway.....I didn't realize it was an aluminum case trans, those can flex and fail allot easier than an iron case trans, you may find that was the cause of the carnage.

Posted By: RobR

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/28/09 06:58 PM

Looks like it broke a tooth in the trans and it got caught in between a drive(speed gear) and the cluster...I.ve seen that a couple of times over the years.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/30/09 07:58 PM

Quote:

Looks like it broke a tooth in the trans and it got caught in between a drive(speed gear) and the cluster...I.ve seen that a couple of times over the years.

Yep, your going to find 3rd busted.
Posted By: topside

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/30/09 08:25 PM

I agree it's wise to slowly & carefully disassemble the trans, and take a very close look at the rearend. I've broken 4-speeds in a '57 Chevy and the trans looked like yours: as though someone yanked down on it to tear it out of the car. Cause was '55-'57 Chevys lack a rear crossmember, and wheel hop would break 2 or more ears off at the bellhousing. Your trans does not appear to have spun to break the ears, but looks like the tailshaft was tearing the trans out. Seems to me the driveshaft is a big clue. Rotation of the driveshaft tear has meaning, as one observant poster has already pointed out. You'd be wise to check the bearings & crank endplay too.
Put a proper bellhousing in that thing!
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: Duster Carnage Pics..... Makes me sick....340 4 speed - 11/30/09 10:14 PM

I had the same kind of thing happen years ago in my 69 Road Runner. I was going about 100+ mph when all hell broke loose, the drive shaft came apart at the front u-joint causing damage to the floor-(still to this day I dont know how the car didnt flip) and the shifter to fall to the floor. Once I inspected it the input shaft had broken off at the trans case and was still in the block,all the mounting bolts for the bellhousing were broken off. The only thing that kept the trans in the car was the fact that I had a shifter for a console that has the bend in the handle and it caught the floor. I got a new trans,drive shaft and bought a Lakewood scatter shield,but the rear end never sustained any damage. If I was you I would look into some saftey items for the rebuild. One more thing I forgot was I believe that my pilot bearing was the cause in the fact that there was nothing left of it and caused the severe vibration. Im sorry to see it took your block out also. Good luck with it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums