Who drive this rod shop car?

Posted By: swede76

Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/26/09 02:39 PM

Hi Ho drive this car?

Thanks Robert

Attached picture 5628330-25-1930326993L.jpg
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Ho drive this rod shop car? - 11/26/09 02:53 PM

I hardly ever correct spelling but it's who. Who drove this car. A Ho is a loose woman. My gift to Sweden today.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Ho drive this rod shop car? - 11/26/09 02:57 PM

http://www.competitionplus.com/2005_03_05/rod_shop.html

Re: Ho drive this rod shop car? - 11/26/09 03:45 PM

sorry I forgot a letter. but I must express my gratitude for the gift
Posted By: StewartP

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/26/09 03:50 PM

Possibly Jim Thompson, or Bob Riffle - the numbers do not look like P/S numbers,

StewartP

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/26/09 04:16 PM

ok
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/26/09 04:24 PM

Didn't Larry Morgan drive a '72-3 Challenger for the Rod Shop?
Posted By: RaceCarRegistry

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/26/09 10:23 PM

That is the Arlen Vanke built 1972/73 Challenger that Gene Dunlap, Arlen V. and other Rod Shop driver's drove - it was run once as a C/MP at the Gator Nats and then became a B/MP car. I used to own that Challenger - Had Arlen put a leaf-link susp back under it and had "Squeak" and Bruce Miehls(ex-Rod Shop guys) build the Hemi for it. Now in Florida in a private collection.
It is NOT one of Larry Morgan's Challengers - Larry ran two different Challengers but this one is NOT one of them.
Thanks, Reed in Neb.

Attached picture 5629272-FH000047.jpg
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/26/09 10:41 PM

Bob Bonds drove the 70 SS/E and the 71 Challenger before going to the Hemi Colt.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/26/09 10:52 PM

Quote:

Bob Bonds drove the 70 SS/E and the 71 Challenger before going to the Hemi Colt.

Bob,what car were you racing at that time??How 'bout a picture

Attached picture 5629319-IMG_1312.JPG
Posted By: 1fastrunner

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/27/09 02:10 PM

Quote:

Possibly Jim Thompson, or Bob Riffle - the numbers do not look like P/S numbers,

StewartP

I wish,
But it wasn't me
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/28/09 03:35 AM

Larry Morgan didn't get too involved(seriously) with The Rod Shop at least until '77 or '78.. I spent a fair amount of time there from '78 through '84..

If Reed would be so kind to tell me what rear suspension it had..I just might know who raced it. They might have had two '72 or '73 Challengers is why I ask.. Looks like the car I ran my motor in for a season after it left The Rod Shop.

best way to upload a jpeg. picture? I have a couple that might be it...
Fred

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/28/09 04:41 AM

My ol' RS Challenger was sold to my friend Terry Valmain in Texas - then went thru about 4 other hands before I bought it off Ebay. Terry picked up the car from Rod Shop and repainted and ran it as an MP car.Here's a pic when Terry had it.
Many Thanks, Reed

Attached picture 5631664-VWB-MP.jpg

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/28/09 04:46 AM

Here's the Challenger on it's first outing at the Gatornats running C/MP - Gene Dunlap said that he broke the rear susp. After the gators, it was usually run as a B/MP car - Reed in Neb.

Attached picture 5631674-RodShopChallenger.jpg

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/28/09 04:48 AM

Here's at Arlen Vanke's shop when he was redoing the rear susp. -- Reed in Neb.

Attached picture 5631679-DSC07790.JPG

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/28/09 04:57 AM

The Challenger I'm thinking of was a pro/stock car. It had the funny scoop on the hood. It stayed in Ohio for a number of years.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/28/09 06:51 AM

That car did not stay in the Rod Shop fleet long, Thompson drove it a little in B/MP. I remember it going to the mid-south to a SS racer, I just can't remember who off hand.

Attached picture 5631789-PRP1.jpg

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/28/09 05:53 PM

PoppaJ, You should know SV Starkey? He owned it for a couple years(1979-81) and then it was sold to 2 brothers from Waverly,Oh? They raced a '68 max wedge roadrunner(red).
We raced the Challenger with a my street HEMI and Ray Cramer driving. Did pretty good with it.

remember Ray? He was one of the Chesrown Oldsmobile drag car drivers.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/28/09 06:17 PM

Are you sure that your not thinking of the white one that Mike Fons drove and won the Pro Stock World Championship with? It had some kind of funky scoop.

Whatever happened to that car, anyway?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/28/09 07:41 PM

Quote:

PoppaJ, You should know SV Starkey? He owned it for a couple years(1979-81) and then it was sold to 2 brothers from Waverly,Oh? They raced a '68 max wedge roadrunner(red).
We raced the Challenger with a my street HEMI and Ray Cramer driving. Did pretty good with it.

remember Ray? He was one of the Chesrown Oldsmobile drag car drivers.

Sure I remember Ray and I remember your challenger as well. I know the brothers you are speaking of but can't remember their names (old age ) We used to laugh at that scoop extension on Fons's car and make him mad, he swore it was good for a tenth. poppaj

Attached picture 5632470-CIMG0365.jpg

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/29/09 03:35 AM

Quote:

Are you sure that your not thinking of the white one that Mike Fons drove and won the Pro Stock World Championship with? It had some kind of funky scoop.

Whatever happened to that car, anyway?

I'm almost sure that was the car. When we raced it, the previous owner had put gray primer on it. So the scoop is pretty much the only way I know of identifying it. I could talk to Starkey and see if he remembers who he got it from.
Fred

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/29/09 05:44 PM

I just talked to Starkey and he said it was Mike Fons Pro/Stock car. The last he had heard, it was in West Virgina. I'm going over to see him this week and hopefully I can get some pictures from him of the car back then. He's in his 70's now, so I don't want to have him go too far out of his way to find them. Will also try and get photos of his and Ray Christian's super/stock Dodges/Plymouths they raced back in the 60's and 70's...
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/29/09 09:52 PM

I would love to see some pics of Ray Christian's super/stock Dodges/Plymouths they raced back in the 60's and 70's...
Posted By: KD800X

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/30/09 02:23 AM

Quote:

I just talked to Starkey and he said it was Mike Fons Pro/Stock car. The last he had heard, it was in West Virgina. I'm going over to see him this week and hopefully I can get some pictures from him of the car back then. He's in his 70's now, so I don't want to have him go too far out of his way to find them. Will also try and get photos of his and Ray Christian's super/stock Dodges/Plymouths they raced back in the 60's and 70's...

How is Starky? I haven't seen him in a long time. Back in the late 80's early 90's when I was working at Jeg's I spent a lot of time down on the South End of Columbus with Rod Gartin, Johnny Davis and Starky. The he and Ray were doing Dad's Transmissions up until they closed a while back ago, then we haven't seen him since. Someone said that his sugar has been pretty bad lately.
When you talk to him tell him that Kevin Davis said hi, And he needs to get back out to the track.
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/30/09 06:25 AM

I have plenty of pictures of Ray Christians 68 Cuda that he owned from 1972 till 2002. The car still has his paint job with his name in big letters and was last out when Ray got inducted into The Kil Kare Hall of Fame in August of 2009. Ron Farmer did a real nice speech in Ray's behalf and donated a few of Ray's special awards that he had won through the years to the Hall of Fame.
Posted By: StewartP

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/30/09 02:10 PM

If Ray had 2 Cuda's - then the first one is in Florida ?

StewartP

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 11/30/09 07:50 PM

Quote:

I have plenty of pictures of Ray Christians 68 Cuda that he owned from 1972 till 2002. The car still has his paint job with his name in big letters and was last out when Ray got inducted into The Kil Kare Hall of Fame in August of 2009. Ron Farmer did a real nice speech in Ray's behalf and donated a few of Ray's special awards that he had won through the years to the Hall of Fame.

hey Larry, went to your SLED CITY website..pretty cool. I tried to leave a message for you but I couldn't or it wouldn't.. Great pictures and history about yourself.
I still need some light weight stuff for my cars but not ready yet. See you in Jan at the fairgrounds..
Fred
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 10/27/11 04:39 AM

Quote:

If Ray had 2 Cuda's - then the first one is in Florida ?

StewartP

Hey Stewart, sorry it took me 2 years to see your question. Yes , Ray Christian's first Hemi Cuda is in Florida and is touted as being an original 4 speed car by the serial numbers. I asked Ray about the car ever having a 4 speed in it and he said that when he picked it up from Byers Chrysler Plymouth, it was in primer and had an automatic tranny. I was told that the car was originally intended for Carl Kirk of the team Eckard & Kirk / Rod Shop fame and Kirk declined it, and it was given free of charge to Ray Christian.His first car is being driven on the street and his second car, which I own, still sees the track on special occasions. It is blue and white and says Ray Christian in big letters and can be seen on my site. www.sledcityevents.com Larry
Posted By: 360904

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 10/27/11 12:00 PM

Poppa J....Anonymous
Unregistered whats up with the Anonymous ???
Posted By: Labratt

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 10/27/11 04:07 PM

D. Mc Carty..I was thinking the same thing! Afraid to reveal their identity...for some reason!!???
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 10/27/11 05:27 PM

Quote:

Poppa J....Anonymous

Someone hacked a moderators account and deleted a few members they had a problem with .

He now sleeps with the fishes ...
Posted By: 360904

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 10/27/11 05:58 PM

unreal the world we live in these days.....
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: Who drive this rod shop car? - 10/27/11 07:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Poppa J....Anonymous

Someone hacked a moderators account and deleted a few members they had a problem with .

He now sleeps with the fishes ...

HAHA yea,

PoppaJ is still on here though..

Casey
© 2024 Moparts Forums