Moparts

Any Bonneville drivers here?

Posted By: dart4forte

Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 05:02 AM

Just wondering if there are any members that have done Bonneville in a Mopar?
Posted By: Redbird

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 05:18 AM

Yes, in a Superbird from the early '80's. I still have the car.

Racing at Bonneville is safer today, and a whole lot more expensive to participate in. It's about the most fun thing you can do with your clothes on.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 05:37 AM

pictures please! I have an old MAC tools calendar with a white Superbird salt flat car on it. Believe the car was called "flyrod".
Posted By: Bill_T

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 05:44 AM

MrMopar and I went to Bonneville a few times in the mid 80s and saw Flyrod. We went with a guy MM worked with that built a Kawasaki powered streamliner that set some records. I would love to go up and actually run something. Another item on the already growing early middle age list of things I probably won't be able to get around to....

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 05:48 AM

Quote:

Yes, in a Superbird from the early '80's. I still have the car.

Racing at Bonneville is safer today, and a whole lot more expensive to participate in. It's about the most fun thing you can do with your clothes on.

Ihave to agree. I'm sitting here with a thick SCTA rule book tryin g to figure out some classes I can run in with my 64 Dart. My first experience will be next year by taking the car down to have it tech'd. After that run the open 130 and 150 MPH. Just curious in that you don't see many Mopars
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 10:35 AM

I never drove Bonneville but was part of the Lingenfelter/SE Racecraft team that set a record in 1989 that stood until 1999 when Jerry Kugel broke it. I think of Bonneville as a mythical experience, you can just feel the history when you are on the salt. I love going there and encourage all of my drag race buddies to go at least once. As far as Mopars running there, back in the 60's was a guy by the name of Norman Thatcher who drove blown wedge powered B-bodies. I have a Hot Rod magazine article about Norm that was written in 1964 when he was well into his 60's chronicling his exploits. I would love to know more about him but nobody seems to have any information. Good Luck with the Dart project, I hope it works out for you.

Joey
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 12:17 PM

Stopped there this past summer to check it out, all I can say is UNREAL! There was no races going on, but was one of those times when my excitement was high! Beautiful and wide open. I didn't unload my car to drive on the salt because our time was limited but were going back next summer to campout there at least one night. And one day I'd like to compete on the salt in something, I got a couple 3000HP hemis?

Like I said there was no races going on when we were there(BTW we were there one week before the races) but it was open to anything. This mustang had just come off the salt while we were there. We are going to campout there next summer.

There's something about the salt that got into my blood while I was there.I'm going back for sure.

Posted By: DartMan380

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 01:02 PM

Not a Mopar but something cool... I inherited the car in my sig a few years ago from my great uncle who passed on. Its powered by a 1939 outboard even rude motor that ran on alcohol. From the info I have been finding out the car was never received a official time but was pull started down the track a few times. From what I have been told the first couple of years he could not get the car to shift into high gear.

This was taken to the salt just about every year from 67 till the early 80's. My grandma was also the one in charge of the t-shirt trailer from the early 70's thru the 90's.

Anybody recognize this car at all?
Posted By: afxcoronet

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 01:08 PM

It's been catching my interest as well, gonna have to check it out soon...
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 01:27 PM

And you don't have to be on the salt to go fast, the highway is wide open with hardly any signs or traffic. Didn't see one state cop the whole time in Utah. I stretched the legs of my toterhome while I was out there.

Salt anyone?

End of the the road entering the speedway.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 01:43 PM

I never drove one but my mother-in-law had one and before we dated my wife drove it once and got a scratch on it, she took it to a body shop on her lunch break and had it fixed and my MIL never knew. Seriously though my neighbor/brand X driver/racer has been there a few times and told me some stories it sounds like a place any true motorhead should go.

Attached File
Posted By: formula S

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 02:24 PM

Check out this 69 barracuda http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amr5hpg20Kg
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 09:59 PM

not a car but my brother has a record on a stock body blown gas hayabusa in 2003.he went 248MPH Dennis Clanton along with hank booth and john nonan on the same bike the same week.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 10:15 PM

definately a BUCKET LIST item

i have a major ich for yrs...to go...
cheapst
Posted By: TS3303

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 11:06 PM

anyone ever take their drag car? remove scoop? brace windsheild?, belly pan?, different tires? MORE gear.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/24/09 11:36 PM

Quote:

anyone ever take their drag car? remove scoop? brace windsheild?, belly pan?, different tires? MORE gear.

NOPE...BUT I did build and wheel this brand X car for a customer of mine to 168.44 MPH....

Also avg 134.33 MPH for the Silver State Classic...but I was CO-Pilot then....

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 05:52 AM

Well I've made the decision several months ago and have been making changes. I've done a lot of research and pretty much know what direction to go. The advice given to me by several SCTA members is to start with the 130 MPH club then move up to 150. After that it's class racing and things get really serious. Of course the car is being built with safety in mind. I'll be pretty much me exceeding the 150 MPH club stanards.

Attached picture 5625574-64DartSideview.jpg
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 06:28 AM

Here's an old buick on our chassis dyno that went 165+ at Bonneville before the 455 scattered. For the record, we didn't build the engine:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5E6OcC3Gq4

Next up is 500 aluminum buick inches with twin turbos...
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 06:35 AM

John Rains, an SS/AH(Heli-Hemi)racer is a Bonneville guy. Here is a video of him this past year at Bonneville..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-skip58FSk
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 06:36 AM

I've worked on a couple of cars that ran there.. Keep in mind it is Salt.. If you don't want your car to rust expect to take it apart within a couple weeks after running it cause the salt will get everywhere...

You might consider running El Mirage or Muroc not as legendary as Bonniville but plenty of history just the same... They go really fast as well & it's sand...

Other than that Have A Blast!!!
Posted By: Bret Kepner

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 08:57 AM

Just a note here from a 24-year Bonneville veteran, (and that makes me a rookie on the salt):

DO NOT PLAN TO COMPETE AT SPEEDWEEK IN THE 130 MPH CLASS OR 150 MPH CLASS.

These categories are available only at the United Salt Flats Racers Association (USFRA) event, a much smaller program than the SCTA/BNI Speedweek event.

They are two completely different entities.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 11:31 AM

Isnt Bonneville just for 1 week... not long enough
for me since I would have to go that far. I would
love to try it but 1 week doesnt cut it

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 06:14 PM

Quote:

Just a note here from a 24-year Bonneville veteran, (and that makes me a rookie on the salt):

These categories are available only at the United Salt Flats Racers Association (USFRA) event, a much smaller program than the SCTA/BNI Speedweek event.

It's my understanding that BNI runs that event. In fact i've talked with several of their members and they suggest I start out there to shake out the car. I'll do some more research.

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 06:17 PM

Quote:

I've worked on a couple of cars that ran there.. Keep in mind it is Salt.. If you don't want your car to rust expect to take it apart within a couple weeks after running it cause the salt will get everywhere...

You might consider running El Mirage or Muroc not as legendary as Bonniville but plenty of history just the same... They go really fast as well & it's sand...

Other than that Have A Blast!!!

Yes, that is a concern of mine. I've been looking at some spray on products that help to mitgate that problem.

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 06:19 PM

Quote:

Thanks Bret for that advice. I'm a sponge so keep the advice coming. We have a local here that raced the last two years in Prepared Truck so he's been helping me along as well.

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 08:00 PM

BNI is (technically) separate from both the SCTA and the USFRA. BNI, (Bonneville Nationals, Inc.), is comprised of SCTA regulars but concerns itself with the running of Speedweek only. The SCTA, (Southern California Timing Association), conducts and promotes two events at Bonneville; Speedweek, is seven days long and held in August while the World Finals is four-day meet held in October.

The World Finals is a much, much smaller event than Speedweek. As an example, the 2009 Speedweek event included 3,108 runs versus 517 at the World Finals.

The SCTA also conducts six events annually from May through November at El Mirage Dry lake in California.

The USFRA, (United Salt Flats Racers Association), offers one three-day event, its World of Speed, in September. The event is conducted under SCTA class rules but also offers the 130 MPH and 150 MPH classes and a variety of entertaining special categories. The World of Speed is roughly equivalent in size to the SCTA World Finals.

Motorcyclists also have the four-day BUB Speed Trials in September while the invitation-only Land Speed Shootout for FIA/FIM records is held over a five-day period between the BUB event and the USFRA meet.

If you're serious about competing on the salt, (and most people aren't, choosing instead to wait until they're dead to make plans to go), familiarize yourself with all the above associations and their events:

SCTA/BNI: http://www.scta-bni.org/

USFRA: http://www.saltflats.com/

BUB: http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/

Then, join the forums at LandRacing.com to ask questions and learn:
http://www.landracing.com/

Be prepared. The folks at LandRacing.com do not suffer fools lightly. They will, however, offer any and all assistance to those who genuinely want to become involved.

GENERAL WARNING: If you're really going to pursue land speed racing, be prepared to fail miserably for years before becoming competitive. LSR competition is unlike any other form of motorsports and most knowledge and technique from other disciplines...especially drag racing...are not applicable to racing on the salt.

One of the great joys of veteran LSR competitors is to watch the disastrous results of drag racers who attend Bonneville armed with only the attitude of "How hard can it be?".

Dart4forte, there is no such category of "Prepared Truck". Most likely, he's competing in the unprepared classes known as Production Truck.

I'll be happy to answer general questions about Bonneville but LandRacing.com is the best source of hardcore technical information.

Bottom Line: If you're serious, go to one of the events as a spectator for at least one year, (you'll be much better prepared by going for two or three), and spend the time watching and asking questions. Plenty of teams enjoy having "new blood" spend the week with them learning the basics.
Posted By: The Nutcracker

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 10:45 PM

Any FEDīs running at Bonneville?

Attached picture 5626755-DSC01053.JPG
Posted By: Bee4spd

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 11:11 PM

I went to the World of Speed event this last Sept. It was one of the coolest things I've ever done. From camping at the bend in the road to having beers with new friends whilst watching some great machines race. It also gave me the itch. I've been thinking, much like other posters, about doing the 130mph and then graduating up. I figure my Bee right now could do the 130(it already has for a short stint), but I really want to get the 4-speed back into it before I get it out to the salt.
If you go, be prepared for, what I thought of as, a near religious experience! Walk through the pits, go to the starting line and watch the action, and best of all make new friends! Just about all of the teams are happy to talk about there combos and let you ogle over their machinery.

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 11:16 PM

Bret do you recognize this car at all?

Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/25/09 11:48 PM

I recognize the Motor Home. It's a Kings Hiway, the 1st RV built with steel frame, not wood. they were built in California and were considered the High end RV at the time, like a Prevost now. They were built on Dodge Chassis and I have a 26 ft. '75 440 powered one in my back yard.

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/26/09 03:10 AM

Quote:

BNI is (technically) separate from both the SCTA and the USFRA. BNI, (Bonneville Nationals, Inc.), is comprised of SCTA regulars but concerns itself with the running of Speedweek only. The SCTA, (Southern California Timing Association), conducts and promotes two events at Bonneville; Speedweek, is seven days long and held in August while the World Finals is four-day meet held in October.

The World Finals is a much, much smaller event than Speedweek. As an example, the 2009 Speedweek event included 3,108 runs versus 517 at the World Finals.

The SCTA also conducts six events annually from May through November at El Mirage Dry lake in California.

The USFRA, (United Salt Flats Racers Association), offers one three-day event, its World of Speed, in September. The event is conducted under SCTA class rules but also offers the 130 MPH and 150 MPH classes and a variety of entertaining special categories. The World of Speed is roughly equivalent in size to the SCTA World Finals.

Motorcyclists also have the four-day BUB Speed Trials in September while the invitation-only Land Speed Shootout for FIA/FIM records is held over a five-day period between the BUB event and the USFRA meet.

If you're serious about competing on the salt, (and most people aren't, choosing instead to wait until they're dead to make plans to go), familiarize yourself with all the above associations and their events:

SCTA/BNI: http://www.scta-bni.org/

USFRA: http://www.saltflats.com/

BUB: http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/

Then, join the forums at LandRacing.com to ask questions and learn:
http://www.landracing.com/

Be prepared. The folks at LandRacing.com do not suffer fools lightly. They will, however, offer any and all assistance to those who genuinely want to become involved.

GENERAL WARNING: If you're really going to pursue land speed racing, be prepared to fail miserably for years before becoming competitive. LSR competition is unlike any other form of motorsports and most knowledge and technique from other disciplines...especially drag racing...are not applicable to racing on the salt.

One of the great joys of veteran LSR competitors is to watch the disastrous results of drag racers who attend Bonneville armed with only the attitude of "How hard can it be?".

Dart4forte, there is no such category of "Prepared Truck". Most likely, he's competing in the unprepared classes known as Production Truck.

I'll be happy to answer general questions about Bonneville but LandRacing.com is the best source of hardcore technical information.

Bottom Line: If you're serious, go to one of the events as a spectator for at least one year, (you'll be much better prepared by going for two or three), and spend the time watching and asking questions. Plenty of teams enjoy having "new blood" spend the week with them learning the basics.

Thanks for the words of wisdom and I appriciate your candor. The local here ran E/PP (production P/U) year before last. I have been reading the SCTA rulebook and am on the third read. It's something you just can't glance at, you have to really read it. Yes, it's my plan to go down next year for at least one event as a spectator. I'm not planning on trying anything until 2011. I've been racing in one form or another since the late 60's and know that you can't go into anything cocky. I'll take your advice and check oit that web site. Most who I've talked with about this have been very straight forward and encouraging.

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/26/09 05:36 AM

In order:

Quote:

For a few thousand different reasons....no.

Quote:

Bret do you recognize this car at all?

That would be the old "Ballpoint Banana" streamliner from up around Albany, NY. If I remember, it used a four-cylinder MerCruiser (or maybe even Evinrude) outboard motor. I know it was under 30 cubic inches, either way. The car ran from the mid-'60s through the mid-'80s.

You have to be pretty old to remember the joke behind the name, too.

Quote:

The local here ran E/PP (production P/U) year before last

Are we talking about Roy Scroggins' '72 Dodge? I was very impressed when he set the E/PP record over 118 in '07 and I know he upped to over 126 in '08. Brutal numbers from 258 inches!
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/26/09 05:55 AM

Quote:

That would be the old "Ballpoint Banana" streamliner from up around Albany, NY. If I remember, it used a four-cylinder MerCruiser (or maybe even Evinrude) outboard motor. I know it was under 30 cubic inches, either way. The car ran from the mid-'60s through the mid-'80s.

You have to be pretty old to remember the joke behind the name, too.

There ya go Dave, it's a start.
Posted By: Qbird

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/26/09 06:06 PM

Bret, I've heard this before, and I have no doubt that it is absolutely true...but it's really hard for me to wrap my primitive drag racer mind around this concept. LSR is something I've always wanted to try my hand at...and once my twin is finished, I'll probably start to build something along these lines.
Is this difficulty something that can be quantified? I know it's hard...but hard in what way. What are the issues, and what are the common mistakes?
Tony

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/26/09 07:44 PM

Hey Bret, checking out your site, why no LSR pics?
Posted By: The Nutcracker

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/26/09 08:11 PM

Can you name some of those reasons?

Quote:

For a few thousand different reasons

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/26/09 08:25 PM

my brother discribed driving on the salt as being on mashed potato's.thay sometimes put up to 75.lbs on the rear swingarm of the bikes to help apply power.i have read of cars adding weight also.
Posted By: JandJ_Racing

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/26/09 10:34 PM

Here is a friends Stude. I ill seee if he can upload some video to youtube, he has some cool in car stuff

Attached picture 5629298-studebaker-1.jpg

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/27/09 02:58 AM

Bret - Haven't heard the story on how the car got its name...I just recently found out that a picture of my grandma was in penthouse from the salt flats..

If you remember the girls selling t-shirts..Punky is my grandma. I have the car sitting in her garage. Its all intact and complete.

From what I heard so far the never made an "official" run but made many attempts.
Posted By: Procommuter

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/27/09 01:06 PM

It's not Bonneville, but if your interested in Land Speed Racing, The LTA will be hosting the second annual LTA-LSR at the old Loring AFB in Limestone, Maine on July 30, 31 & August 1st. My son and I went one day this year and will be returning for all three days next year as a participant and volunteer. See lta-lsr.com for info. Also that stock body bike record that was mentioned was broken this year at Loring at 264 MPH.
Posted By: wyldebill

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/27/09 01:22 PM

do you have any more details on the "banana"? frame, trans, ect?

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/27/09 02:01 PM

Quote:

do you have any more details on the "banana"? frame, trans, ect?

I brought the car home from its home in New York last year. I do not have a garage where I live now so I put it in my grandmas garage and it has since been "buried" in there for the next few months.

Nothing has been changed on the car from the way it was then. The body is all hand laid fiberglass that is sitting on a aluminum frame. There were no markings on the motor that I could see but from what other sources have told me it is a evenrude from 1939 that ran on alcohol. The engine was a pull start and from what I have been told it took many pulls to get it running. The car is only about 7ft long and weighs less then 400 lbs. or so. It is also only about 3 ft high or so.

One guy told me that he pull started my uncle and when he dropped the rope and lit the ignition the car took off around them and they were going 85mph! He said that my uncle couldn't get it to shift into high gear so he shut it off. The offered to pull start him again but the tow car couldn't gain enough speed for the car to fire in high gear. They estimated that they would have to be going around 115 mph for that to happen.

The car now is in decent shape, their is 1 hole (about 6in round) in the lower body. It looks like someone might have kicked it. The chrome pipes for the exhaust are all pitted but I believe they would clean up. Other then that it is dusty and dirty. My uncle was a man of few words, and died suddenly but I have found a guy who lives in CA that knew a lot about the car.

Just another "barn" find right?
Posted By: wyldebill

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/27/09 04:29 PM

what are your plans for it? you going to try your hand at lsr?

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/27/09 05:14 PM

Quote:

The car would never pass tech at the salt now and would require to many updates to do so.

I have mix-feelings as to leave the car just the way it is, or to restore it back to the way it was when it was fresh built. Everyone said the sound of this motor was unique and cant compare to anything else.

I am thinking of putting it into a rat rod type show here in Cleveland this coming spring just to expose it some.

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/27/09 07:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The car would never pass tech at the salt now and would require to many updates to do so.

I have mix-feelings as to leave the car just the way it is, or to restore it back to the way it was when it was fresh built. Everyone said the sound of this motor was unique and cant compare to anything else.

I am thinking of putting it into a rat rod type show here in Cleveland this coming spring just to expose it some.

Maybe get it to specs for World of Speed, run 150 MPH class just for nostalgia.

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/27/09 09:11 PM

Quote:

Also that stock body bike record that was mentioned was broken this year at Loring at 264 MPH.

i will let him know. he is proud it lasted this long.
that track is not the salt flats,[apples to apples]
http://www.lta-lsr.com/HOME.htm
thanks again .

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/28/09 02:39 AM

http://bikerpunks.com/mediaviewer/1646/worlds-fastest-motorcycle-crash.html

here is what can happin.

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/28/09 12:04 PM

I'm not gonna write a book on this but here are a few replies, in order:

Quote:

Is this difficulty something that can be quantified? I know it's hard...but hard in what way. What are the issues, and what are the common mistakes?
Tony

QBird, the most common mistake by newcomers to Bonneville is arriving with the belief that any prior motorsports experience can be applied to racing on the salt.

There are plenty of folks here on MoParts who can offer their knowledge from experience, (and Metal Storm offered some important observations), but here are a few to consider.

1. The Bonneville Salt Flats are at 4200 feet above sea level. Since temperatures above 130 degrees aren't uncommon, corrected elevation is often near or above 10,000 feet. Since the course is five miles long and one cloud can change the elevation 2,000 feet, the air quality can fluctuate drastically during a run.

2. The racing surface also changes drastically. Since the salt can hold water and the ocean bed still responds to the pull of the tides, the surface can range from one similar to a brushed concrete floor with a slight coating of loose kitty litter to the equivalent of driving through two inches of heavy, slushy snow. It's not rare to deal with both types of surfaces at different points on the course during one run. That's why Metal Storm made the very valid point that asphalt records, (Shane Stubbs' bike record at 265.181 mph at Loring, ME), and salt records, (John Noonan's mentioned bike record at 243.960 mph), are almost impossible to compare. Asphalt racers seldom have to worry encountering a total loss of traction at full speed halfway through the course.

3. At Bonneville, weight is free downforce. As Metal Storm mentioned, most cars add weight. He didn't mention, however, that many cars add a TON of weight...literally. From the streamliners to stock-bodied doorslammers, many vehicles are loaded with huge amounts of ballast; vehicle weights of 5,000 to 7,000 pounds are not unusual. Wings and/or spoilers, (where permitted), are added to increase downforce at specific points on the car. Because weight is a benefit at Bonneville, chassis construction is a totally different ballgame and the massive, bulky chassis reflect completely different design theory than in any other motorsport.

4. The simple fact any powerplant must run at full throttle for up to two minutes in the conditions described above is, in itself, daunting and can't be compared to road racing, oval racing or drag racing. Now, think of how muh fun it would be to tune a car in those conditions and for that distance using nitrous oxide and/or nitromethane.

Here's an interesting analogy I posed to a new spectator last August. Currently, there's a whale of a battle between several teams to be the first stock-bodied roadster over 300 mph. I was asked by a drag racing fan why it should be so difficult since most of the teams were using supercharged, nitro-burning engines. My reply was this:

"If you had to push a 5,000-pound roadster with 4,000 horsepower for five miles at full throttle with no wings or spoilers but with a minimum of 530 square inches of totally vertical frontal area, a 100-inch wheelbase and fifteen inches of ground clearance on six-inch-wide tires filled to 120 pounds of air pressure which ride on only four inches of contact patch on a surface which changes from a slippery concrete floor to a muddy cow path in 10,000 feet corrected elevation, how easy do YOU think it would be to run 300 miles per hour?"

I never got an answer.

Quote:

Dart4forte, I've never taken a camera to Bonneville. That's not why I'm there. I do have the honor of sharing our camp with one of the greatest photographers in salt racing history, (Glenn Freudenberger), who is two years away from his fiftieth SpeedWeek.

By the way, you never answered my previous question. Is your E/Production Pickup buddy Roy Scroggins?

Quote:

Can you name some of those reasons there are no FEDīs running at Bonneville?

Nutcracker, the entire FED chassis concept is basically invalid at Bonneville. The light weight, the massive weight transfer, the total lack of aerodynamics are just completely wrong for the task at hand.

Quote:

Bret - Haven't heard the story on how the car got its name

Dave, I'm not sure you're old enough to "get it".
In the '60s, there was a huge fad of really silly jokes, including this one:

Q: "What's yellow and writes?"
A: "A ballpoint banana."

You just....uhhh....had to be there, I guess.

Hope this stuff helps but if John Rains can run 303 MPH with a single-turbocharged V6 in an unmodified Firebird that still has power windows, how hard can it BE?

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/28/09 11:56 PM

Thanks Bret! When the chance comes I will get the car out and take some detailed pictures of the car.

Here is another picture I found of the car..

You can really tell how short the car is in this one.

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/29/09 12:09 AM

that is sweet!laying below the axle centerline it looks like.

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/29/09 02:43 AM

Quote:

I'm not gonna write a book on this but here are a few replies, in order:

Quote:

Tony

QBird, the most common mistake by newcomers to Bonneville is arriving with the belief that any prior motorsports experience can be applied to racing on the salt.

There are plenty of folks here on MoParts who can offer their knowledge from experience, (and Metal Storm offered some important observations), but here are a few to consider.

1. The Bonneville Salt Flats are at 4200 feet above sea level. Since temperatures above 130 degrees aren't uncommon, corrected elevation is often near or above 10,000 feet. Since the course is five miles long and one cloud can change the elevation 2,000 feet, the air quality can fluctuate drastically during a run.

2. The racing surface also changes drastically. Since the salt can hold water and the ocean bed still responds to the pull of the tides, the surface can range from one similar to a brushed concrete floor with a slight coating of loose kitty litter to the equivalent of driving through two inches of heavy, slushy snow. It's not rare to deal with both types of surfaces at different points on the course during one run. That's why Metal Storm made the very valid point that asphalt records, (Shane Stubbs' bike record at 265.181 mph at Loring, ME), and salt records, (John Noonan's mentioned bike record at 243.960 mph), are almost impossible to compare. Asphalt racers seldom have to worry encountering a total loss of traction at full speed halfway through the course.

3. At Bonneville, weight is free downforce. As Metal Storm mentioned, most cars add weight. He didn't mention, however, that many cars add a TON of weight...literally. From the streamliners to stock-bodied doorslammers, many vehicles are loaded with huge amounts of ballast; vehicle weights of 5,000 to 7,000 pounds are not unusual. Wings and/or spoilers, (where permitted), are added to increase downforce at specific points on the car. Because weight is a benefit at Bonneville, chassis construction is a totally different ballgame and the massive, bulky chassis reflect completely different design theory than in any other motorsport.

4. The simple fact any powerplant must run at full throttle for up to two minutes in the conditions described above is, in itself, daunting and can't be compared to road racing, oval racing or drag racing. Now, think of how muh fun it would be to tune a car in those conditions and for that distance using nitrous oxide and/or nitromethane.

Here's an interesting analogy I posed to a new spectator last August. Currently, there's a whale of a battle between several teams to be the first stock-bodied roadster over 300 mph. I was asked by a drag racing fan why it should be so difficult since most of the teams were using supercharged, nitro-burning engines. My reply was this:

"If you had to push a 5,000-pound roadster with 4,000 horsepower for five miles at full throttle with no wings or spoilers but with a minimum of 530 square inches of totally vertical frontal area, a 100-inch wheelbase and fifteen inches of ground clearance on six-inch-wide tires filled to 120 pounds of air pressure which ride on only four inches of contact patch on a surface which changes from a slippery concrete floor to a muddy cow path in 10,000 feet corrected elevation, how easy do YOU think it would be to run 300 miles per hour?"

I never got an answer.

Quote:

Dart4forte, I've never taken a camera to Bonneville. That's not why I'm there. I do have the honor of sharing our camp with one of the greatest photographers in salt racing history, (Glenn Freudenberger), who is two years away from his fiftieth SpeedWeek.

By the way, you never answered my previous question. Is your E/Production Pickup buddy Roy Scroggins?

Quote:

Can you name some of those reasons there are no FEDīs running at Bonneville?

Nutcracker, the entire FED chassis concept is basically invalid at Bonneville. The light weight, the massive weight transfer, the total lack of aerodynamics are just completely wrong for the task at hand.

Quote:

Bret - Haven't heard the story on how the car got its name

Dave, I'm not sure you're old enough to "get it".
In the '60s, there was a huge fad of really silly jokes, including this one:

Q: "What's yellow and writes?"
A: "A ballpoint banana."

You just....uhhh....had to be there, I guess.

Hope this stuff helps but if John Rains can run 303 MPH with a single-turbocharged V6 in an unmodified Firebird that still has power windows, how hard can it BE?

Yes, that would be Smokin Roy!!
Posted By: birdtracker

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 11/29/09 01:55 PM

http://blog.buckeyebullet.com/2009/09/record.html
I work with this guy who drives this car. 300 MPH is very impressive. He is a top notch professional driver. After reading the conditions, I am amazed even more. We have another guy at work that tells storys of prep work in wind tunnels and makeshift garages that totally amaze me. Birdtracker

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 12/01/09 06:03 AM

There's a neat article in the latest Hemmings Muscle Machine Magazine on Andy Granatelli and the Studebaker history at Bonneville. Leaned some things I didn't know about the Paxton Super Charger history.

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 12/01/09 01:05 PM

Quote:

There's a neat article in the latest Hemmings Muscle Machine Magazine on Andy Granatelli and the Studebaker history at Bonneville. Leaned some things I didn't know about the Paxton Super Charger history.

The Rodders Journal usually has some good articles on Bonneville from the good old days!

Re: Any Bonneville drivers here? - 12/01/09 06:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The Rodders Journal usually has some good articles on Bonneville from the good old days!

Yeah, I kinda like the nostalgic slant toward LSR.
© 2024 Moparts Forums