Moparts

What starter to ask for?

Posted By: juicedcuda

What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 03:47 PM

My brand new 440source starter has already started making god awful noises when starting so I am going to autozone or Oreilly's to pick up a new one. What car/truck exactly do I tell them to get one that will work with a big block?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 03:58 PM

try 84 dodge dakota,
Posted By: NENE

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 04:05 PM

I agree, it can start my 16:1 572 B1 without pain !
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 04:07 PM

So you're sure it's a bad starter and it's not just out of location?
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 04:10 PM

Quote:

My brand new 440source starter has already started making god awful noises when starting so I am going to autozone or Oreilly's to pick up a new one. What car/truck exactly do I tell them to get one that will work with a big block?

I can't believe you bought one to begin with
Posted By: Blown71X

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 04:12 PM

Quote:

try 84 dodge dakota,

That`ll be a pretty neat trick since Dakota didn`t come out `till 87

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 05:25 PM

So a 87 dodge Dakota starter for a v6?

The car was starting fine. It then starting make some god awful noises. It now just cranks and sounds like it is rubbing the outside of the teeth on the convertor. I got under it and the bolts were a little loose, so I tightened them and felt the outside of the teeth and you can feel where it is rubbing the converter teeth. Oh and it still makes whining noise after retightening bolts. There is no shims, etc on it. Bad starter?
Posted By: Cranky

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 05:53 PM

Starters from a V6 or a V8 are the same. The one for our 5.2 2000 Durango interchanges with my 95 V6 Dakota.....
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 05:56 PM

I've always picked 1996 ram 4x4, 360, extended cab, power windows, cd player, receiver hitch, with a bed liner.

That always gets me the right mini starter

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 05:59 PM

Does it sound like the starter is bad from what I am describing?

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 06:04 PM

Does it sound like the starter is not engaging with flywheel? Or the gears inside the starter are junk?
Posted By: RonP

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 06:06 PM

Quote:

I've always picked 1996 ram 4x4, 360, extended cab, power windows, cd player, receiver hitch, with a bed liner.

Thats funny. I happened to own that exact truck many years back and I am glad I did. I went to unload the car and the starter was dead. We crawled under the truck and took the starter out, put in race car, raced all day and swapped them back for the tow home.

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 07:11 PM

Quote:

Does it sound like the starter is not engaging with flywheel? Or the gears inside the starter are junk?

it sounds like it isn't engaging with the flywheel and I just found out why, I got under the car and it broke a few of the ring gear teeth off the convertor.
Posted By: therocks

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 07:23 PM

Supposedly the 360 starters are a heavier unit.Thats what I have in my 440 with 12.5 domes.Spins like a /6.My kid has the Source starter in his 413 and 2 friends have them also.No problems and they are all street driven.Rocky
Posted By: racerAL

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 07:37 PM

Quote:

....actually there are a couple of options..advanced part#17010 fits a '90 ramcharger(5.2) or #17181 which fits a '95 ram 1500(5.2)...iirc the 17010 is the 1 i ended up using(12.5 -1 rb) because the body of the starter is a tad shorter(better header clearance)...the down side is that the 17010 is $20 bucks more ..i could have the 2 part numbers reversed but i'm sure the 2 are different...1 is shorter.just go to the store and have them compare the 2 and make sure...hope this helps.

Attached picture 5618726-16-102.JPG
Posted By: ro23car

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 07:42 PM

Quote:

is that with or without a/c

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 08:12 PM

Alright, I am going to Oreilly's to get a starter, what model should I tell them to get a 360 starter that will work on my big block?

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 08:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

is that with or without a/c

Depends if you have factory mud flaps or not

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 08:17 PM

Any late model 96-02 ram with 5.2 or 5.9 will work.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 08:17 PM

It just depends on whats in stock is what you will get.
The Dakota starter they run will show if they have the starter in stock...maybe have 3 of them, maybe one.
Asking them for a starter for a 95 Dodge Ram 318 will point them to the same starter..
I dont know why but there is many versions of the starter..
Each a diff length also...some as short as 6" and some longer than 7". Maybe they revised it it each year

But measure the one they have, make them pull the others if in stock...If you cant find one thats short, go to another store...You can always come back..
At least this is how i roll..LOL
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

it sounds like it isn't engaging with the flywheel and I just found out why, I got under the car and it broke a few of the ring gear teeth off the convertor.

HMMM....my converter was fine til I used a 440 source starter...then I mysteriously broke 4 teeth off the ring....had a new ring installed and bought one off of EBay and it works like a champ...
Posted By: racerAL

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/21/09 10:06 PM

Quote:

Alright, I am going to Oreilly's to get a starter, what model should I tell them to get a 360 starter that will work on my big block?

.did you have a chance to read my post.. ..not sure what other info you need i gave you part #'s and application.(those advanced numbers will cross to orielly's)..if you are wondering about wich to use a 5.9 or 5.2 starter ..i'm not sure they are different and i can say for sure i'm using a 5.2 starter(by application) on a 12.5 to 1 440 WITH NO ISSUES.you can go to any domestic auto parts store web site and do most of the investigating on your own that way your prepared when you get to the store.....good luck

Attached picture 5618915-Picture003.jpg

Re: What starter to ask for? - 11/22/09 06:55 AM

So how did the starter shopping go? Did you find one that would fit?
© 2024 Moparts Forums