Moparts

Utah breaks ground for drag strip

Posted By: 70AARcuda

Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 01:19 AM

When they break ground Friday, Nov. 20, in Hurricane, Utah's Quail Creek Industrial Park for the Red Hills Raceway drag strip, it will be just the first in a line of automotive-related projects expected to fill the area, thespectrum.com reports.

Located adjacent to the Washington County Fairgrounds, the $1.8 million drag strip will cover 10 acres and will allow for more than 2,500 spectators.

Erik Harper of Wild West Property Management, the company overseeing the project, said the strip is projected to open in March. He said he plans to approach the city early next year for approval of a motocross track. Also in the works are a possible circle track, sand track and various automotive businesses. [11/19/09]

Used to be an old track in st george, ut. looks like drag racing might be making a come back to southern utah.

http://www.dragracingonline.com/agent1320/2009/1320-xi_11-22.html
Posted By: G_bob

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 01:57 AM

Hmmm, St. George just made the short list of places I'll consider retiring to in 3.5 years.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 02:00 AM

curious to know what would the altitude be at the dragway?

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 02:03 AM

Quote:

Somewhere around 3000-3500 ft, I think.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 02:41 AM

Quote:

Screw the altitude... they have In-N-Out now!
Posted By: RussW

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 03:28 AM

St. George is a nice town ,the red rocks are cool.
One thing I noticed is the town pretty much closes up after 9 p.m.

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 04:25 AM

elevation is around 3250 ft.
Posted By: lowbudget

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 02:44 PM

Awesome!! good news, I love it when I hear of a NEW strip being built.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 02:55 PM

The St George area is one of the most beautiful areas of the country IMO. I have been trying to get my wife there to show her around.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 03:06 PM

Just checked, and it's not far as the crow flies, but there is a BIG hole (Grand Canyon) between here and there. I'd have to go west to Vegas, then east to the track! Still might go for some RACIN'!

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 05:25 PM

Hurricane, Ut., is 141 miles from vegas ....

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 08:21 PM

I made Hurricane in 5 hrs when I went to pick up my trailer.

Actually making that drive this afternoon, although going another 4.5 hrs north this trip.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 11/20/09 10:22 PM

How far is it from Payson, AZ? Looks like that's where I'm heading.
Posted By: honu

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 03:57 AM

Has anyone heard more about this strip being built and when it will open? I moved to St. George in November and saw the original announcement, but nothing since (and do read the local paper). I loved racing at Firebird Raceway in Boise for years when lived there, and am hopeful for here. Any info appreciated.

08 Vette (yeah, not Mopar, but....)
Posted By: calmech67

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 04:21 AM

go to redhillsraceway.com for updates pictures of progress, phone contacts, and they are hoping to open in late spring 2010. They are also looking for suggestions and ideas for events and racer input. sounds like their for the racer.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 04:27 AM

It is nice country..I spent some time there, about two year is SLC too. I drove that stretch of back roads that runs from St George all the way to Las Vegas Nv....I swear it looked like the same road they filmed that movie Vanishing Point..LOL
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 05:02 AM

Quote:

It is nice country..I spent some time there, about two year is SLC too. I drove that stretch of back roads that runs from St George all the way to Las Vegas Nv....I swear it looked like the same road they filmed that movie Vanishing Point..LOL

Bob, which old roads did you take to get to Las Vgeas? I know about the old hiway (back road)that goes west out of St George to Mesquite AZ or Mesquite NV but not from there I use to(back in the 1960 and 1970s) drive on Hwy !5 from Nellis air force base to Mesquite NV and then up the old road into St George back before the freeway was ran thru the Virgin river canyon into St George. Inquiring minds want to know, just in case another route is needed on short notice

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 05:50 AM

the old highway turnoff is at Littlefield, AZ...Have taken a ride on a weekend thru the old highway...it does not go thru the Virgin River Gorge...

it is listed as Old Highway 91
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 06:07 AM

Quote:

No matter how close it is to Nevada or Arizona.....It's STILL Utah!

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 06:09 AM

You know what the BEST thing that comes out of UTAH?????

I-15
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 07:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No matter how close it is to Nevada or Arizona.....It's STILL Utah!

this is true! there's a reason why my Mormon friends always got ribbed a little harder when we traveled to Utah! they took it all in good fun though.

although, I think part of the problem with "everything closing at 9" in Utah...is because that there's nothing IN utah, but for the random piece of ocean water, some mountains, and....

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 07:55 AM

There is a standard one word answer that the local Utah residents will hit you with when you ask them "What is there to do in Utah"

Ski

And after living there for 7 years I am here to tell you, it's definately true......But! You better like skiing ALLOT because in general that's about it!
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 09:25 AM

Quote:

There is a standard one word answer that the local Utah residents will hit you with when you ask them "What is there to do in Utah"

Ski

And after living there for 7 years I am here to tell you, it's definately true......But! You better like skiing ALLOT because in general that's about it!

That's also about the only way to get around!

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 02:07 PM

Quote:

Ski

Well, I guess that's it....
Unless one likes to hunt, fish, hike, mountain bike, off-road (with 4wd, bikes, quads, or whatever). Or maybe enjoys going to pretty decent college FB and/or BB (choice of teams here), NBA, and minor league BB.

If not, there is always skiing...

I'm born and raised SoCal and would much prefer living in Utah, but that's just me.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 02:15 PM

Does anyone knw if they will be NHRA, IHRA, or AHRA?
Posted By: Runner

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 10:04 PM

i cant think of one thing that spokane has that slc doesnt, nothing that i care to do anyway.

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 10:26 PM

Runner,

Let's see......

Ok, we have skiing
Posted By: dragnduster

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 11:01 PM

Quote:

Ski

It's to bad you didn't like Utah. I have lived here for 18 years. I lived in New York, Colorado, Idaho, and New Mexico before that and I would have to say I like Utah the best. I wish we had more race tracks available here but that's about the only draw back I can see.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/17/10 11:50 PM

you could race on the salt!
i hope you get the track.
Posted By: Runner

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/18/10 12:05 AM

i lived in slc for 3 years and always found plenty to do. im a utah jazz fan so that helps. i moved there when i got out of the navy. moved away because my dad died and the my wifes family was here in idaho

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/18/10 02:06 AM

I don't have anything against Utah, I just found it to be a boring place to live that's all. Not a big skier, not a basketball fan, just not much there that interests me.
Posted By: 1964superstock

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/18/10 04:52 AM

I'm happy to hear of a new drag strip in Utah. As far as automotive racing goes, Utah has some of the best world class racing available, such as the Bonneville Salt Flats and the new Miller Sports Park. We also have Rocky Mountain Raceway in Salt Lake City, which is a great 1/4 mile drag strip and circle track. The Mopars at the Strip show is also just a few hours away each March, which is very cool. Also, If you like the outdoors, Utah is pretty tough to beat. It seems like the Olympics loved Utah back in 2002.

Utah is a great place to live. I have lived in many places around the USA, and would not trade Utah for any place on earth. I can not think of anything which Utah is lacking, except for the ocean and beach. I just love how Utah is favorite target for people to make fun of, but whatever, I'm sure your state rocks.

Remember what your Mother told told you, If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Good advice!

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/18/10 08:00 AM

No problems Jeff, no intention meant to knocking the place, just personally I found it boring to live there, heck there's a decent chance I'll end up there again someday, you never know.
Posted By: 1964superstock

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/18/10 02:09 PM

Thanks Scott, no problem. I would be happy to have you as my neighbor once again in Utah! If you move back, maybe we could go skiing some time...LOL:) By the way I have lived in Utah most of my life and I have never skied once, and probably never will. On a side note, I lived in Washington State for a few years and had a great time.
Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/18/10 03:33 PM

Nothin to do in Utah??? Went through there on my way to Detroit (short cut) during a blizzard in my V-10 dually. Headed east out of Salt Lake up through the bowling alley at midnight, slipped er into 4 Loc, put the hammer down, and enjoyed some of the best sprint car racing I've ever had. I absolutely had a blast! I will get to go back for a meeting in September, looking forward to it.

Attached picture 5814415-MyPictures068.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Utah breaks ground for drag strip - 02/18/10 10:56 PM

Nothing to do in Utah, ever woder why the famliys there are so big Almost as good as drag racing LOL. BTW, there are a lot of muscle cars waiting to be picked, don't tell anyone
© 2024 Moparts Forums