Moparts

champerd bearings for 400?

Posted By: 68gtxsurvivor

champerd bearings for 400? - 11/19/09 11:56 PM

I was looking into a stroker kit to make my 400 a 500 and they say it requires champerd bearings like a 440 does but says you have to do it yourself.Not crazy about that idea, does anyone know of a source for the champerd bearings?
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 12:15 AM

Wheeler racing Engines, Blaine minnesota
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 12:16 AM

There are none. You'll have to do it yourself or have a shop do it for you.

I do them on a fixture on a lathe, but you can certainly do them by hand as well.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 12:19 AM

I have an Eagle crank in my 383 based stroker and it doesn't need chamfered bearings ? the ONLY bearing the MIGHT need a chamfer is the thrust bearing , but I didn't have to do that , granted my Crank is .010 under so obviously whoever cut it knew what they were doiong , but when it was std. it still didn't need chamfered bearings , and I still have those bearings ...

Posted By: ahy

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 12:20 AM

Narrowing the bearings has the same effect as chamfering. I believe Muscle Motors keeps some narrowed B bearings on hand.
Posted By: 65dragnet

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 12:26 AM

It's not that big of a deal to chamfer a bearing
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 12:32 AM

Quote:

but you can certainly do them by hand as well.

OK i'll bite.how do i do that?koffels did mine on the lathe but if i can do it.[chamfer]
thanks for any tips!
Posted By: jyrki

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 05:36 AM

I hvae done them with a regular hand file. It's not rocket science.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 03:10 PM

WE put the bearings in an old rod and carefully champher them with a bearing knife or other sutable tool.Them we dress them with crocus cloth lightly.The mains are done in the block bores.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 04:01 PM

Quote:

The mains are done in the block bores.

Seems like for the mains you could take a couple spare main caps & bolt them together with nuts & long bolts then mount it in a vise...

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 04:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The mains are done in the block bores.

Seems like for the mains you could take a couple spare main caps & bolt them together with nuts & long bolts then mount it in a vise...

You can,but we like to do them in the block we are using since not all block caps and saddles are indicated(located) exactly the same.Why cut too much or not enough.Crank to crank and block to block vary,clearence what's needed for a particular block and a particular crank.We see some cranks that need clearence on only one or two journals .
Posted By: bcrproducts

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 04:38 PM

Quote:

WE put the bearings in an old rod and carefully champher them with a bearing knife or other sutable tool.Them we dress them with crocus cloth lightly.The mains are done in the block bores.

Here is what I did. I went one step further. Tighten up the rod and cut the rod off with a bandsaw. Locate the rod bore on a lathe and take the outer side down until it is circular. Takes about ten minutes on a lathe. Now you have a two part circular fixture that can now be clamped on the outer surface in a lathe and the chamfering can be done in minutes by any competant machinist. I guarantee if you have an old rod and a case of beer any machine shop will do this for you on a Friday afternoon.

Greg
www.bcrproducts.com
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 07:46 PM

I'm sure that most of the stroker kits come with BB Chevy rod journal so why not buy the stock chamfer HD bearings for your crankshaft rod journal size I use the Federal Mogul HD rod bearings.

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 08:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Here is what I did. I went one step further. Tighten up the rod and cut the rod off with a bandsaw. Locate the rod bore on a lathe and take the outer side down until it is circular. Takes about ten minutes on a lathe. Now you have a two part circular fixture that can now be clamped on the outer surface in a lathe and the chamfering can be done in minutes by any competant machinist. I guarantee if you have an old rod and a case of beer any machine shop will do this for you on a Friday afternoon.

Greg
www.bcrproducts.com

Great Idea,but many don't have access to a lathe or machine shop.We do many different journal sizes.

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 08:06 PM

Quote:

I'm sure that most of the stroker kits come with BB Chevy rod journal so why not buy the stock chamfer HD bearings for your crankshaft rod journal size I use the Federal Mogul HD rod bearings.

We find that a lot of cheaper kits still need correction even with the radiused or narrow-N bearing.

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 09:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

We find that a lot of cheaper kits still need correction even with the radiused or narrow-N bearing.

thanks for the tips guys!even with the narow baring on mine i needed to do the edge of the rod barings.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 10:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thanks for the tips guys!even with the narow baring on mine i needed to do the edge of the rod barings.

If you have to do that with the NARROW bearing you should be having that crank put in a crank grinder and checked with an arnold gauge because it's really got issues .

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 10:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you have to do that with the NARROW bearing you should be having that crank put in a crank grinder and checked with an arnold gauge because it's really got issues .

Not really,regrinding the crank negates any saving that buying a low cost kit gained in the first place,cut the bearings and move on.There are lots of cranks with big radius's and radiused bearing that are running fine.

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 10:36 PM

to bad you could not take a cone shape sanding bit like for cylinder bores and do the barings.it is cheeper to do with a file though.

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 11:10 PM

Quote:

to bad you could not take a cone shape sanding bit like for cylinder bores and do the barings.it is cheeper to do with a file though.

That would be a NO-NO,cone sanders would tear at the surfaces and inbed material into the bearing.Remember some of these bearings can have up to 3 layers and coatings.
Posted By: Cranky

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 11:29 PM

arnold gauge?

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/20/09 11:30 PM

got ya! i do have some old rods[LY] to hold them for filing.
Posted By: Cranky

Re: champerd bearings for 400? - 11/21/09 12:58 AM

Never mind.....
© 2024 Moparts Forums