Moparts

Edelbrock STR-14

Posted By: Bishop

Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/15/09 10:23 PM

I have a STR-14-4 Manifold wanting trade/buy or even make a top for a crossram 2 4 BBL. I was wondering are the bottoms the same for all the different tops? Has anyone ever made a top?

Thanks Brian

Attached picture 5606878-EdelbrockSTR14.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/15/09 10:32 PM

bottoms are all the same. i made a top for 2-4bbl.
Posted By: Darrell

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/15/09 10:47 PM

Quote:

I have a STR-14-4 Manifold wanting trade/buy or even make a top for a crossram 2 4 BBL. I was wondering are the bottoms the same for all the different tops? Has anyone ever made a top?

Thanks Brian

Great question, I have one with a single 4 top and have wanted a 6pack and 2x4 top but didn't know if they were the same bottoms.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/15/09 10:54 PM

Quote:

the carb linkage was a real PITA though.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/15/09 11:03 PM

Do you have any pictures of the one you made and some of the linkage?
Posted By: kruger

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/15/09 11:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks Brian

Are you looking to make the Crossram version or the inline version?Check with Damon at Diamonback Engines he won't give up any secrets lol but he will help you out.Really good guy to work with and knows his stuff when it comes to STR's. http://www.diamondbackengines.com/ http://www.diamondbackengines.com/forums/index.php#2

Or I can send you demensions on the crossram top plate,but I gotta tell ya lol,the crossrams a real hair ripper to make.
As SUPERSTOCKER stated the linkage is a real PITA,But I have a set up for it (Carb/Linkage East & West set up).
Let me know.
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 12:49 AM

hey guys, i've got some open cnc mill time coming up and would be willing to make a few of the str tops if people are intersted. if someone can send me dimensions i can figure rough costs. any carb mounting arrangement you want. dual 4 inline or cross ram, six pack, whatever, all the same price and will be made from 6061 aluminum. i could even integrate a blow out port so the top won't crack in case of back fire.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 12:59 AM

Huuuum,I'll give a shot Jerry.Beats rackin my brains out trying to find these tops all the time.I'll send you some deminsions on Tuesday.PM we'll discuss?

Thanks

Just checked out your website
Yep he can do it
Jerry,would you make just a couple or is there a minimum?
Posted By: Jimi_Vignogna

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 01:15 AM

Quote:

the bottoms are not all the same, i have str's that were built for just cross ram tops and str's that were built for single 4bbl and inline two four bbl, i do not know if this was a design change or if it was for different carb locations.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 01:37 AM

I'll make one offs, there is no minimum as it will be filler work for my shop, so i can run them on an as needed basis, plus i will add it to my sales items, for the future in case anyone else needs one.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 *DELETED* - 11/16/09 01:38 AM

Post deleted by hemi-itis

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 01:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

the bottoms are not all the same, i have str's that were built for just cross ram tops and str's that were built for single 4bbl and inline two four bbl, i do not know if this was a design change or if it was for different carb locations.

all str-14 bottoms are the same, the tops are all interchangeable, going by direct connection part # inside of the bottom cast into it

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 01:45 AM

I've seen different variations of the bottoms also,small low ribs in the bottom ports where as some didn't.Mines the STR 14 crossram without the chrys stamp/no ribs and theres no support ribs on the top plate like I've seen on some.Not sure if its due to earlier Eddy STR chrysler gen vs the updated STR Eddy or top specific.

Anyone?

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 01:48 AM

Quote:

I've seen different variations of the bottoms also,small low ribs in the bottom ports where as some didn't.Mines the STR 14 crossram without the chrys stamp/no ribs and theres no support ribs on the top plate like I've seen on some.Not sure if its due to earlier Eddy STR chrysler gen vs the updated STR Eddy or top specific.

Anyone?

thats true about the insides of the bottoms as some had the part # and some didn't but all the tops are interchangeable. the contours for the lids are the same.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 01:49 AM

Quote:

I'll make one offs, there is no minimum as it will be filler work for my shop, so i can run them on an as needed basis, plus i will add it to my sales items, for the future in case anyone else needs one.

Thanks jerry,
Do I send this info through your website?or is there an e-mail address I can send the info?
(dimensions and pics)

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 01:53 AM

That intake will work well with some epoxy mods to the floor. Plus the STR-15 is the only low deck cross ram available. Damon has been 9.60's with one on a low deck 493. It would be well worth making some lids for them. They would fit both intakes(str-14 and str-15) pretty sure there is a small block version (str-13?) but doubt the tops would interchange...

Attached picture 5607439-PRP1.jpg

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 01:56 AM

Quote:

That intake will work well with some epoxy mods to the floor. Plus the STR-15 is the only low deck cross ram available. Damon has been 9.60's with one on a low deck 493. It would be well worth making some lids for them. They would fit both intakes(str-14 and str-15) pretty sure there is a small block version (str-13?) but doubt the tops would interchange...

those intakes are absolute slugs. i ran one back in the mid 90's with every direct connection trick and was slow. best i could get out of it was a 11.08
its got a great look for nss but thats about it.
Posted By: coronetville

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 02:02 AM

all str 15 and str 14 came with two totaly diffent bottoms, one for the cross ram, and one for the single 4, inline 2 4s, six packs. I have a str 15 cross ram intake, I would like to trade for a str single 4

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 02:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone?

thats true about the insides of the bottoms as some had the part # and some didn't but all the tops are interchangeable. the contours for the lids are the same.

So I'm assuming the intake bottoms are not specific to the amount of carbs?

Gone googlin

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 02:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

all str-14 bottoms are the same, the tops are all interchangeable, going by direct connection part # inside of the bottom cast into it

YOU ARE WRONG! i have owned one of every design of theses things , and they are not all interchangable!!!!!
Posted By: coronetville

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 02:14 AM

I agree, I have both right now, The cross rams have a totaly seperate bottoms
Posted By: BBLM23

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 02:22 AM

Like Jimi said, cross ram bottoms are different.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 02:36 AM

Quote:

Like Jimi said, cross ram bottoms are different.

Wow!!! I thought they were them same

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 02:50 AM

Wow! me too lol Wonder if the STR 14 inline is differrent then the crossram bottom.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 02:57 AM

you can email me to jczub@hotmail.com

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 03:01 AM

Got it,thanks Jerry.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 03:04 AM

Quote:

Wow! me too lol Wonder if the STR 14 inline is differrent then the crossram bottom.

as far as i can remember bottoms were the same but there were different damming provisions made for the 6 pack and crossram versions according to the direct connection race manual.
id like to see a picture of the different str-14 bottoms. i still dont buy it.
it wouldnt have been cost effective back in the day.
i could see 1 bottom and 4 different tops.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 03:24 AM

I'm still trolling the internet SUPERSTOCKER for more info.His bottom is definitely different then my crossram bottom,just checking to see if the earlier versions were different then the updated (newer version).If not....then I'm going on the brain scattering hunt for a complete inline setup.

Maybe I can do some modified demensions to my top plate and send them to Jerry.
I'm bummed lol

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 03:32 AM

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 03:34 AM

http://bbdart.com/parts/str15non.jpg

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 03:49 AM

Thanks for the pics Walter.Would'nt happen to have an inline for RB?

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 04:15 AM

Sold them all except a non cross ram STR-15 bottom and a few tops...

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 04:20 AM

so are the str-15 and str-14 tops interchangeable if each has a cross ram or inline setup? if they are its only two different tops to make, really should be a problem. ultimately if someone has an str-12 small block intake i can make tops for that too.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 04:27 AM

No. STR 14, 15 and 12 tops are not the same.
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 04:31 AM

Quote:

so are the str-15 and str-14 tops interchangeable if each has a cross ram or inline setup? if they are its only two different tops to make, really should be a problem. ultimately if someone has an str-12 small block intake i can make tops for that too.

Jerry

can you make a top plate two 4150s for a INDY tunnelram ?

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/16/09 04:55 AM

sure. i made the top plate for the six pack intake that sixpacgut ran a while back. two 4150s won't be a problem. just let me know what spacing you need on the carbs and send me a gasket for the interface between the TR and the top plate.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/17/09 03:14 PM

They were basically a "Rat Roaster" which Edelbrock adapted to use on a wedge engine.

BG was, and still is, a wizard with those things. He modifed my Hemi Rat Roaster with a cross ram top and it worked very, very, well indeed. He also fabricated a bell crank and linkage that also worked real, real good. In fact, I adapted that linkage to work on my regular MP cross ram.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/17/09 09:08 PM

Do anyone have the pages in the Old DC engine book that shows the "proven" Mods needed to do to the inside of the base to improve the perforamce that they can scan and post them?

Thanks Brian

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/17/09 11:18 PM

i will get some pictures of a modified str me and my dad did many years ago it made alot of hp on a 413 ci inline 385 hp combo, it made 30 more hp than the indy inline removeable top intake.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/18/09 12:49 AM

Quote:

i will get some pictures of a modified str me and my dad did many years ago it made alot of hp on a 413 ci inline 385 hp combo, it made 30 more hp than the indy inline removeable top intake.

max wedge or nonmaxwedge port?
im curious.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/18/09 02:31 AM

Heres an STR 14 Inline with the dam mod.
I'm sure theres more mods you can do for improvement.

Attached picture 5611418-STR14dam.jpg
Posted By: kens avenger

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/18/09 03:21 AM

This was in the back of a old car i bought years ago..6BBL top

Can get better pic's if wanted

Attached picture 5611545-dump2190.jpg

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/18/09 09:00 PM

Just like at the beginning of the thread I have a single 4BBL STR-14 I'm planning on making a 2 -4BBL crossram top. My Question is should the 2 Alum. carb spacers have one big hole or 4 smaller holes thru the top plate, which one will perform better?

Brian

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/18/09 10:02 PM

Quote:

Just like at the beginning of the thread I have a single 4BBL STR-14 I'm planning on making a 2 -4BBL crossram top. My Question is should the 2 Alum. carb spacers have one big hole or 4 smaller holes thru the top plate, which one will perform better?

Brian

buy hvh super suckers,only buy aluminum, the plastic ones burn on the edges
Posted By: Mr. Dodge

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/18/09 10:20 PM

Quote:

I WANT IT... I WANT IT..... AND I WANT THAT INTAKE!!!!
Posted By: GTSDave

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/18/09 11:02 PM

Quote:

That's My Intake and I have modified it even more. Damon is a great friend of mine and does know his STR's. He Has been deep into the 9's with less than 500" in Fugly.

http://www.fugly-racing.com/

-Dave

Attached picture 5612794-strs.jpg
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/19/09 12:15 AM

guys, if anyone needs anything made, you will not find a better person to deal with than Jerry. he has made a few things over the years for me and reasonable

he made this fuel log

he did an incredable job on this intake

made the lid on this one

and another fuel log that is still on my car.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/19/09 04:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's My Intake and I have modified it even more. Damon is a great friend of mine and does know his STR's. He Has been deep into the 9's with less than 500" in Fugly.

http://www.fugly-racing.com/

-Dave

He did a great job modding my STR Crossram.Damon knows his stuff for sure.

GTSDave,did you have to do any blending in the intake area underneath the top plate wheres the carbs mount?

Attached picture 5613655-inlinestrs2.jpg
Posted By: GTSDave

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/19/09 05:17 AM

Yes, but not very much, just a gentle blend in those two corners to clean up some of the machining they did when they moved the two carbs in-line. There isn't a whole lotta meat there to work with, but there is enough for what I needed.

In NSS I must run Eddy carbs, and I have a pair of Diamondback NSS ones set up for my 4-Speed. For now this is the best intake/carb combo for a low deck running in NSS classes.

The in-line mod that was done to mine was pretty slick, but because of the spacing needed between the two carbs, there isn't much room on those two corners. I bought it with that top plate already done.

They basically plugged the two cross ram carb holes, then machined a big path down the middle and welded in the plate you see in the pics. It is VERY strong and doesn't lend itself to cracking like many of the factory in-line 2x4 setups. Those intakes were pretty thin through the carb area and were prone to cracking.

We have done a couple more mods to the top plate to make it more user/carb friendly and I will run it that way until something better comes along. Damon does a great job with his cams for this setup and I am running one of his profiles. My engine is less than 500" as well. It should be a screamer.

-Dave

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/19/09 05:38 AM

Thanks Dave,I was wondering how much I would have to blend in there.Not much room to play with against the wall.
Did you flip the plate over to blend towards the wall in the corner holes for flow or will just the usaul blending work?
I know you don't want to give to much info up lol but I'm just curiouse.
I'm also useing one of Damons cam grinds with his eddys set ups and switching to an inline.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/19/09 11:44 AM

Quote:

That's My Intake and I have modified it even more...
-Dave

I got that intake from Lou and Jimi V.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 11/20/09 12:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's My Intake and I have modified it even more...
-Dave

I got that intake from Lou and Jimi V.

Were they running that intake on one of there Super Stock cars?
I'd like to get a peek inside that intake any pics?
Posted By: cuda-sweden

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 01/06/10 04:01 PM

Quote:

yes please post more pics,could you please post pics of the underside of the lid.they never made a six-pack top for str-15?,or did they.dont think so,so im going to make my own str-15 sixpack top and would love pictures of the str-14,and pictures inside the bottom to,i think the dc bible refers to a rib in the front middle,maybe there are someone witch has done more mods that want to share some info,no
Posted By: pishta

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 01/29/10 01:48 AM

Quote:

I made a 2X4 top for a STR-12 out of 1/4 plate and popped it the first, I used bike brake cable for the Holley linkage and it worked great, they faced each other with both linkage outboard, and the cable just looped forward then back to the other carb so they shared the same "pull" very easy. So simple, I thought I missed something. time I cranked it, 3/8 plate for a single 4 worked great. STR-13 was for an AMC! Talk about rare!

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 03/28/10 06:25 PM

I finally got my crossram top made using a 1/2" plate and using 1" carb spacers. I want to Thank everyone that gave me help and advise. We'll see how it works now.

Brian

Attached picture 5892630-STR-14homemadecrossramtop.JPG

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 03/28/10 06:46 PM

Quote:

I finally got my crossram top made using a 1/2" plate and using 1" carb spacers. I want to Thank everyone that gave me help and advise. We'll see how it works now.

Brian

nice job! did you raise the top up at all? the couple i have modified liked a 1 inch spacer.

Re: Edelbrock STR-14 - 03/28/10 07:25 PM

Quote:

Brian

if you could get a piece of thick pvc material to space it like a sandwich you'll make more power, keeping the top from the heat. it acts like a thermal barrier.
© 2024 Moparts Forums