Moparts

Pinion angle?

Posted By: juicedcuda

Pinion angle? - 11/14/09 04:45 PM

I am setting the pinion angle on my car, it is a leaf spring car, so I am looking for 7* nose down. My angle finder is reading 3* on the tail end of the drive shaft and 10* on the pinion nose down. This is my 7* correct?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Pinion angle? - 11/14/09 04:53 PM

If there is a V at the pinion yoke and the driveshaft then yes that is the angle, if it is an inverted V(I can't make that sign on this keyboard ) then make it a so the driveshaft is the left side of the V and the pinion yoke is the the right sid of the V, both pointing at the bottom of the V I really hope this makes sense BTW, if the car vibrates under WOT or on deacceleration try 5 degrees difference next time Some cars will vibrate at 7 and some don't I think it depends on the U joint size used.
Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: Pinion angle? - 11/14/09 05:04 PM

Put your angle finder on the yoke. It should be 5-7* down.
Posted By: juicedcuda

Re: Pinion angle? - 11/14/09 05:11 PM

Quote:

Put your angle finder on the yoke. It should be 5-7* down.

that's what I posted, with the angle finder on the yoke it is 10* down. But you have to subtract the three out for the drive shaft. I wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly. My setup is as cab described, a "v".
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Pinion angle? - 11/14/09 05:15 PM

do a search on pinion angle, that will answer all of your questions
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Pinion angle? - 11/14/09 06:21 PM

A true 7 degree negative pinion angle will usually bind.

I recommend 5 degrees, maximum.

Make the pinion parallel to the transmission as a baseline, then roll the pinion downward 4 degrees and weld the perches. This will yield a true 4 degree negative pinion angle.
Posted By: Harley

Re: Pinion angle? - 11/14/09 06:40 PM

I put a Dana in my car and went for a ride and it had a bad vibration when I decelerated. I checked pinion angle and found it to be 10 degrees nose down. I shimmed it to 3 degrees nose down and it was fine.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Pinion angle? - 11/14/09 08:16 PM

Quote:

A true 7 degree negative pinion angle will usually bind.

I recommend 5 degrees, maximum.

Make the pinion parallel to the transmission as a baseline, then roll the pinion downward 4 degrees and weld the perches. This will yield a true 4 degree negative pinion angle.

no more than 5 degrees nose down regardless.
© 2024 Moparts Forums