Moparts

4.500 BB Engine Blocks????????

Posted By: Anonymous

4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 11/14/09 12:11 AM

Been out of the loop for a while on BB Engine Blocks. It appears that I now need one and if I remember correctly about 8-10 months ago you could buy about 12 different versions of a BB engine block from world products. They had standard bore, 4.500 bore, cast iron, aluminum, street versions, race version.......I think I remember them seeing something about a composite version. Now you look around and there is nothing....What happened?????? Looking for cast Iron
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 11/14/09 12:40 AM

I think Koleno has a sale going on theirs. Arguably the best one out there.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 11/14/09 01:15 AM

i have an iron KP440 i am putting togather.there will be an aluminum soon and maybe a lowdeck in the works.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 11/14/09 01:43 AM

Hey Lane
I havent heard from you in a long time...You still work for Best Machine Racing?

Did you finish that Dart chassis? Last time I seen it, it was getting some updated chassis work...

Later
Bob From Ky
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 11/14/09 02:18 AM

World makes the grey cast iron in the Hemi and wedge blocks in several diiferent bore sizes, they where supposed to make compacted graphite iron blocks last year, but not available yet. They are making the aluminum blocks also.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 11/14/09 03:53 AM

if its NA don't use aluminum we know that [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] don't work
Posted By: moparniac

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 11/14/09 09:56 AM

Quote:

if its NA don't use aluminum we know that [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] don't work

a9sec70cuda runs a 4.500*4.500 Hemi (I think) in his NA 9.50's ....

Here is mine (race Version) 4.500 and will be NA until I have the guts to start throwing some N2O at it ... I noticed in my andyf book about the world blocks the street version are not tapped to run the powerglide or have the extra ribbing across the valley and the lifter bore's are not bushed like mine(race version) does.... Which also andy notes are more exspensive in his book.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 11/14/09 11:10 AM

What I am looking for is Cast Iron, 4.500 Bore, Lifter bores bushed, Standard or raised cam block for 55mm cam, cross bolted mains. World used to have all their part numbers on thier web site but now it just show alum??

Did they run out of supply on the cast iron stuff. Really wanted their 4.500 cast iron race version. Just trying to figure out where all this info went.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 11/14/09 04:27 PM

Quote:

What I am looking for is Cast Iron, 4.500 Bore, Lifter bores bushed, Standard or raised cam block for 55mm cam, cross bolted mains. World used to have all their part numbers on thier web site but now it just show alum??

Did they run out of supply on the cast iron stuff. Really wanted their 4.500 cast iron race version. Just trying to figure out where all this info went.

Call them on Monday, or even today to find out the straight scoop
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 11/14/09 09:18 PM

Here's the scoop to some degree on whats going on with the cast iron Wedge blocks. Mopar ( go figure) actually waits till they get a number of backorders or their "system" sees a demand built up for a blcok order. They need to order them 100 at a time, and they also include the Hemi blocks into this "ordering process". Since there are approx 75-80 Hemi blocks in the system at the moment, there is no rush for them to order 100 blocks of any configuration. Until the 80 Hemi blocks get depleted to some degree, they wont be ordering more Wedge blocks.

I have been trying to get a straight answer from World as well, but no real answers.

World has a new program they are just releasing to dealers ( of all brands) so that is weighing into it as well. It will be different than anything that has been tried before in the business. Will have to wait and see how it works out.

That is the straight scoop, not what anyone wants to hear, but pretty up to date information.
Posted By: BIG BEAR

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/02/09 02:38 PM

Quote:

I think Koleno has a sale going on theirs. Arguably the best one out there.

Thanks Chester
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/02/09 03:05 PM

Quote:

Here's the scoop to some degree on whats going on with the cast iron Wedge blocks. Mopar ( go figure) actually waits till they get a number of backorders or their "system" sees a demand built up for a blcok order. They need to order them 100 at a time, and they also include the Hemi blocks into this "ordering process". Since there are approx 75-80 Hemi blocks in the system at the moment, there is no rush for them to order 100 blocks of any configuration. Until the 80 Hemi blocks get depleted to some degree, they wont be ordering more Wedge blocks.

Todd, thanks for posting that info so accurately.

I'd like to add: the above only applies to Mopar part numbered blocks sold through an authorized Mopar Performance Parts dealer.

It has nothing to do with World's business, or World's
in-house part numbers only sold through WP.

If you can't get a 4.500 "race" configuration wedge block (dual bellhousing patterns, etc)....since that configuration is not even offered by Mopar, it needs to be discussed with WP.

Mopar owns the tooling, but Mopar has nothing to do with race block production volume because Mopar does not sell that configuration, and has no active part numbers for that configuration.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/02/09 03:17 PM

Yeah we all know aluminum NA engines are dogs
Posted By: Diablo

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/02/09 03:54 PM

If you can't get a world one right away go with the Koleno one! Much better block in mind in the first place and well priced.

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/02/09 04:24 PM

Quote:

If you can't get a world one right away go with the Koleno one! Much better block in mind in the first place and well priced.

Now there is a guy that knows what he is talking about!!!

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/02/09 04:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Todd, thanks for posting that info so accurately.

I'd like to add: the above only applies to Mopar part numbered blocks sold through an authorized Mopar Performance Parts dealer.

It has nothing to do with World's business, or World's
in-house part numbers only sold through WP.

If you can't get a 4.500 "race" configuration wedge block (dual bellhousing patterns, etc)....since that configuration is not even offered by Mopar, it needs to be discussed with WP.

Mopar owns the tooling, but Mopar has nothing to do with race block production volume because Mopar does not sell that configuration, and has no active part numbers for that configuration.

Thanks for all the info guys. If anyone knows why they need 100 blocks to be ordered first, we do.
Posted By: Hemi_Ram

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/02/09 05:12 PM

One of the World's distributors has aluminum, raised cam versions on sale for 3495.00. heres a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/World-Pro...sQ5fAccessories

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/02/09 05:35 PM

Quote:

One of the World's distributors has aluminum, raised cam versions on sale for 3495.00. heres a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/World-Pro...sQ5fAccessories

$2,000 bucks off the list price
I'm confused
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/02/09 05:43 PM

Guys I have 5 World blocks in stock at the moment. 1(4.500) Finish bore and 4 4.310 Rough Bores. First come first serve and they are not over priced.
Todd
Posted By: Tig

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/02/09 05:45 PM

Quote:

Yeah we all know aluminum NA engines are dogs

Posted By: EasyG

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/02/09 06:29 PM

What happened to your old motor?

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/03/09 11:19 PM

Quote:

We may have a few left with the lifter bores bushed,(I'll have to check)- if you are interested.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/03/09 11:36 PM

Look Here..

http://www.b1heads.com/pdf/Koffels_block.pdf

Chris..

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/03/09 11:49 PM

Quote:

Look Here..

Chris..

Thanks dude and they are on sale now

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 12:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Look Here..

Chris..

Thanks dude and they are on sale now

You can also check this website for a list of distributors and engine builders www.kolenoperformance.com
Posted By: tntmachine

4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 03:00 PM

Aluminum, cast, CGI, World, Indy, Koleno, Mopar: which is the best way to go for a all out race motor?
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 03:18 PM

Quote:

Aluminum, cast, CGI, World, Indy, Koleno, Mopar: which is the best way to go for a all out race motor?

All out NA? CGI but you can't get regular ones, cast, then aluminum.

but i don't know anything.
Posted By: tntmachine

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 03:29 PM

Yes, NA. 4.5 or 4.625 stroke, single Dom, glide. What's wrong with Al?

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 04:00 PM

Aluminum is not the best way to go if you are truly trying to build an all out pedal to the metal max HP deal, look at Pro Stock and Comp and see what they use. Having said that I am willing to give up the 20HP+- I could be loosing by using aluminum for the sake of less weight, and repairability. My junk is aluminum(KB)and made 2+hp per cube.

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 04:05 PM

Quote:

Aluminum is not the best way to go if you are truly trying to build an all out pedal to the metal max HP deal, look at Pro Stock and Comp and see what they use. Having said that I am willing to give up the 20HP+- I could be loosing by using aluminum for the sake of less weight, and repairability. My junk is aluminum and made 2+hp per cube.

I am so curious as to why everyone thinks that iron is so unrepairable.
Beautiful car by the way
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 04:26 PM

BigBear any word on a low deck casting?
Steve

Sorry for the hijack Lane!

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 04:33 PM

Quote:

Steve

Don't worry bud, she's acomin!
So start saving now

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 04:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Beautiful car by the way

It is not that cast is not repairable. The cost and availability make it not a viable option for many. I had a windowed Hemi block from when my old Hemi let go. I was going to have it repaired as it had all the oiling mods, lifter bushings etc done to it. However by the time I paid the cost to have it repaired out here I was 2/3 the way to a new block so I went that route instead. As for fixing the aluminum block it is FAR easier to find a competent place to have the work done. FWIW I had a Mega block fixed out here once, by the tim I paid to have the block welded, put in a the two sleeves it needed and paid for the misc machining required i had an additional $2K in it. Hardly worth the effort these days when I can pick up a World block for $2600. Maybe for someone in the casting business having cast repaired is a simple process but for us pee ons in the world it aint so easy, cost affective or worth the effort. I am just a simple bracket racer and to me having something a bit lighter that can be easily fixed is worth the extra $$. I would have to ask what does a Koleno block cost similar to my KB. It has 55MM cam with roller bearings,and bushed lifter bores, just curious what this set up would run me for a Koleno? BTW Just my on the subject.

BTW thanks for the kudos on the tank.

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 05:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Beautiful car by the way

It is not that cast is not repairable. The cost and availability make it not a viable option for many. I had a windowed Hemi block from when my old Hemi let go. I was going to have it repaired as it had all the oiling mods, lifter bushings etc done to it. However by the time I paid the cost to have it repaired out here I was 2/3 the way to a new block so I went that route instead. As for fixing the aluminum block it is FAR easier to find a competent place to have the work done. FWIW I had a Mega block fixed out here once, by the tim I paid to have the block welded, put in a the two sleeves it needed and paid for the misc machining required i had an additional $2K in it. Hardly worth the effort these days when I can pick up a World block for $2600. Maybe for someone in the casting business having cast repaired is a simple process but for us pee ons in the world it aint so easy, cost affective or worth the effort. I am just a simple bracket racer and to me having something a bit lighter that can be easily fixed is worth the extra $$. I would have to ask what does a Koleno block cost similar to my KB. It has 55MM cam with roller bearings,and bushed lifter bores, just curious what this set up would run me for a Koleno? BTW Just my on the subject.

BTW thanks for the kudos on the tank.

Well yes, you are right, aluminum is probably easier to weld on. However if you are unlucky enough to "blow up" your block, depending on the damage of course, wouldn't you hesitate putting your left over internals on a repaired block and that it doesn't happen again.(just my thought). You are also right about farming the weld repair job out, it is expensive, even for us well to do billionairs

As for the 55mm cam blocks, we do have a few left.None of them now have lifter bushings in them but I'm sure we could work something out on that. As they are now, it would be no additional cost.
Posted By: TrxR

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 05:27 PM

Big Bear: any chances of a low deck aluminum or even a tall deck aluminum?

Thanks

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 05:32 PM

There is always a chance

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 11:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

All out NA? CGI but you can't get regular ones, cast, then aluminum.

but i don't know anything.

CGI is tuff stuff but I don't think anyone will manufacture it it takes to long to machine and to perfect it, you would need different tooling than grey iron, and by the looks of it no one has the money to invest.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/04/09 11:59 PM

Unless I missed something it looks like you're not but a 1/2 hour or so from Koffel's Place Mi location.

4300 Haggerty Rd. Walled Lake MI. 48390

Koffel's Place

Could save you some serious coin on shipping and the Koffel's are great people to deal with.

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/05/09 12:21 AM

O yeah especially Richard, he's a real gem

We deal with the Koffels quite a bit
Posted By: supercomp

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/05/09 02:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Steve

So start saving now

Why did you quit bushing the lifter bores? We use pushrod oiling so that means another $400.00
for a block.

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/05/09 02:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Steve

So start saving now

Why did you quit bushing the lifter bores? We use pushrod oiling so that means another $400.00
for a block.

?????? I'm not sure I know what you mean

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/05/09 02:24 AM

Didn't they use to come bushed?

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/05/09 02:54 AM

We have them both ways w/ and w/o the bushings. We have more blocks w/o the bushings than with and for a limited number only they are at no additional cost. We are trying to see which way is more popular to determine which way to make the next run.

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/05/09 03:06 AM

Quote:

We have them both ways w/ and w/o the bushings. We have more blocks w/o the bushings than with and for a limited number only they are at no additional cost. We are trying to see which way is more popular to determine which way to make the next run.

I vote bushed. Won't hurt even if you don't need them, but if you do they are there.
As more people build more hp they need indivigual shaft rockers.(pushrod oiling)

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/05/09 03:18 AM

Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/05/09 03:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Steve

So start saving now

Alright my penny jar has a purpose! Please keep us up to date on this.
Thanks!
Steve
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/05/09 04:09 PM

Quote:

I vote bushed. Won't hurt even if you don't need them, but if you do they are there.
As more people build more hp they need indivigual shaft rockers.(pushrod oiling)

Help me understand by clarifying that. I thought for pushrod oiling you need oil to the lifter, so unbushed should work? And if you put solid bushings in (without an oil hole), then no oil would go to the lifter and you couldn't pushrod oil.

1) Unbushed
2) Solid bushing (no oil hole)
3) Bushings with a small oil hole.

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/06/09 04:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Steve

So start saving now

Alright my penny jar has a purpose! Please keep us up to date on this.
Thanks!
Steve [/quote

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/07/09 12:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Help me understand by clarifying that. I thought for pushrod oiling you need oil to the lifter, so unbushed should work? And if you put solid bushings in (without an oil hole), then no oil would go to the lifter and you couldn't pushrod oil.

1) Unbushed

I believe your right Jim. You would need to oil the lifters in order to get oil thru the push rod.

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/07/09 03:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1) Unbushed

I believe your right Jim. You would need to oil the lifters in order to get oil thru the push rod.

to much oil without bushing and small hole and lack of oil pressure.

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/07/09 12:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1) Unbushed

to much oil without bushing and small hole and lack of oil pressure.

What about restricting the oil gallies?

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/07/09 01:48 PM

Ask around and see what the big builders think. If it doesn't raise the price I think they will vote for bushings
because they are better in a high lift race engine.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/07/09 02:12 PM

my block #33 came unbushed and i will be restricting the oil at the back of the block.i only use a 650 lift roller.milodon single line,melling HV pump.20/50 oil.

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/07/09 02:24 PM

Quote:

Ask around and see what the big builders think. If it doesn't raise the price I think they will vote for bushings
because they are better in a high lift race engine.

If you ADD anything, it will always cost more. The key is to keep to cost as low as possible to the end user. More than likely all the blocks that we cast in the future will have the bushings installed, however you may see a slight price increase because of it.

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/07/09 02:26 PM

Quote:

my block #33 came unbushed and i will be restricting the oil at the back of the block.i only use a 650 lift roller.milodon single line,melling HV pump.20/50 oil.

Thanks Metal Storm, We were wondering what number you had. Please keep us informed of the build.

Re: 4.500 BB Engine Blocks???????? - 12/08/09 01:23 PM

Sorry for taking over your post
© 2024 Moparts Forums