Moparts

build a drag radial nitrous mopar?

Posted By: John Burdine

build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/08/09 01:32 AM

first off, no i dont have anything in the works, just wanted to start a discussion. if you were to build a mopar in the 3100-3200 lb range, drag radial tires (315's) on caltraks/maxtracks and were shooting for high 7's, what would be the minimum head (B1, MC, ect...)? also how big(cid) minimum? must be on nitrous, how many stage? i'm not talking one miricale 7.99, but a high 7 second car. what say you...

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/08/09 11:16 PM

maybe i should have asked what everyone had for breakfast.
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/08/09 11:54 PM

Hey John the 588 in my bro's Polara with b1-MC's and two stages move his 4000# plus car to 8.6xx. I would sure think with 800# less mid 7's would be possible. This was on 10.5 drag radials with only 1.4x 60 foot times. He ran at Milan, you may have seen it.
Posted By: Gumbydammit

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/08/09 11:57 PM

I've thought about this several times. Drag Radial is one of my favorite classes out there. I honestly do not think that a leaf spring car can be consistent enough to be competitive in Drag radial.

With that being said, if I were to try to build a 7 second DR Mopar and keep it Mopar powered, I'd build a big motor like a 572-588 or bigger and hang a pair of turbos off of it. ( not sure what the rulse are out there for BB/turbo combos, but I think Paul Major runs a 615 ci mill ) I would mount the turbos up under the front fenders behind the tires. Big stuff 3 management system, glide or turbo 400 and a set of 3.54 rear gears.

As far as body style is concerned, there really isn't any "aero" mopars, so a Duster like yours or a Dart like mine would be the body style of choice.

One big investment on such a car would be a VERY good pair of shocks both front and rear. I'm not sure what would work for the rear suspension. My theory would involve a split leaf like a Caltrack split mono but with a VERY stout stiff front section.
Posted By: Gumbydammit

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/08/09 11:59 PM

If I HAD to run Nitrous, I'd build a 632ci Chevy with a BMF or Big Cheif head. I think most drag radial rules only allow one stage.
Posted By: j.mcconnell

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 12:00 AM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=2#Post5592641

maybe talk to him. hes been working on that stuff for a bit
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 03:55 AM

I'd probably use a '67-up Dart (a little more rear overhang) with a 604+ inch Predator headed mill. CHIP
Posted By: gillman34

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 04:48 AM

Current record in outlaw drag radial is 6.89 at 214 mph!!!!!
Average times are 7.10ish,

That's gonna be extremely tough to beat on leaf springs,not to mention very expensive.
I got the heads you need to make the power,it's getting it to the ground that's the problem.

Predator headed 604/636 with 1 stage.
If you decide it's in the budget,give me a call

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 07:08 AM

i'm sure leaf spring cars cant quite hang with 4 bar and torque arm cars, but i think they could do ok, if Al Jaminez (spelling) can run 7.50's on 275's w/caltraks, 7.30's should be possible on 315's.
i'm just surpised that their is'nt a mopar guy with the $$$ running in D/R or Outlaw D/R.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 07:18 AM

Quote:

drag radial tires (315's) on caltraks/maxtracks and were shooting for high 7's, what say you...

If using a car with poor aerodynamics, target 1400 HP on one stage because of the inefficiencies of above. Then try snakeing header tubes around an already tight engine compartment. Mike and Jerry's car comes to mind as a great example so, it can be done $$$. But I'd use a turbo or one of themtheir Prochargers.

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 07:19 AM

p.s.-Oatmeal.
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 01:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

drag radial tires (315's) on caltraks/maxtracks and were shooting for high 7's, what say you...

If using a car with poor aerodynamics, target 1400 HP on one stage because of the inefficiencies of above. Then try snakeing header tubes around an already tight engine compartment. Mike and Jerry's car comes to mind as a great example so, it can be done $$$. But I'd use a turbo or one of themtheir Prochargers.

Make leave soft and lay on the boost.
Steve
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 02:34 PM

One day if I ever win the lottery Iwill have one! lol But it would be very hard to do with nitrous. I mean it would have to be in the 620- 650ci range with 3 guns on it. Most of the fastest drag radial nitrous cars are single carb cast intake. Jason black that won last ORTC has a cast alum tunnel ram with 2 1050's and 3 guns. The 762's with split doms and 4 guns arent really faster than cast intake smaller engines in drag radial. My buddy Jason Richards has a 68 camaro leafs/caltracs, 632 with big cheifs, 2 guns, cast intake 1 carb has been 4.88 @ 150 @ 3100lbs. I just don't think that would be the way to go though. If there was no budget I would do a 604ci Predator headed engine with a 131 or a 139 f-3 or the new twin f-2 set-up. glide, 9". In a 68 dart.
Posted By: 4404dart

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 03:04 PM

Quote:

first off, no i dont have anything in the works, just wanted to start a discussion. if you were to build a mopar in the 3100-3200 lb range, drag radial tires (315's) on caltraks/maxtracks and were shooting for high 7's, what would be the minimum head (B1, MC, ect...)? also how big(cid) minimum? must be on nitrous, how many stage? i'm not talking one miricale 7.99, but a high 7 second car. what say you...

How about a new challenger with a triangulated 4 link?
If it was going to be a leaf spring car, consider using chevy spec springs, with a 25 inch front segment instead of the 20 A body springs to get the IC out there a little closer to where it should be. Sure there would be some fab work, just a thought.

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 03:26 PM

There are some guys locally that are getting thru the tech rules of stock suspension by intergrading late-model 'stock suspension' ala struts and Mustang 4-links on early Chevelle's and Chevy II's. But as someone else has also mentioned it is not the most economical way make that kind of power IMO. Maybe SMRE will sponsor you with a blow-thru set-up?

Attached picture 5594803-F2-1450HP.jpg

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 03:28 PM

hmmm...

Attached picture 5594804-SM1650HP540.jpg
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 04:25 PM

First off, he said "nitrous car". The fastest nitrous radial car in the country, be it Ford, Chevy, whatever, runs in the 7.50s. You will NEVER compete with boosted cars, so you can't even entertain that thought. There are a few leaf spring cars running 7s in the 1/4 and 4.80s in the 1/8, so it can be done. As far as power, a Predator headed 632 with 3 guns would be relatively competitve. These cars are more about power management than pure power. As stated above, the guy that won the nitrous side at the ORTC race, had a conventional headed 632 with 3 guns on a tunnel ram and went 4.76 in the final. The runner up has a 632 big chief motor, with a single 4 and two kits and he went 4.82. The big chief motor makes more power, but the 60ft decided this race.

Monte

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 04:45 PM

There are a few leaf spring cars running 7s in the 1/4 and 4.80s in the 1/8, so it can be done. but the 60ft decided this race.

Monte

Monte do you think if you were doing a leaf spring car, you would do the extra fab work for installing the longer 25 inch front segment chevy spring? Or does it really matter, and the shocks(good ones) are the answer?
Thanks, Dave.
Posted By: cold85

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 05:37 PM

1st you have to decide what you want to race in class wise. Many 275 races out there and 315 races. A leaf spring car can be made to work but in all honesty a newer camaro or mustang is a way better platform than a mopar. If you put a ladder bar under them you have a weight penalty if they allow them. If you run leaf springs they will work but I think it takes much more time to get them right than the newer cars.
But really you need to pick the class and organization you want to run because at least in 275 they would not allow predator heads.
Posted By: cold85

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 05:47 PM

And if you do build a nitrous car and want to buy a progressive I have 2 eddy's I will sell. I could not get them working every pass so now I bought the NOS launcher from Monte.

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 06:32 PM

Quote:

There are a few leaf spring cars running 7s in the 1/4 and 4.80s in the 1/8, so it can be done. but the 60ft decided this race.

Monte

Monte do you think if you were doing a leaf spring car, you would do the extra fab work for installing the longer 25 inch front segment chevy spring? Or does it really matter, and the shocks(good ones) are the answer?
Thanks, Dave.

Most of the time, the springs are relocated inside the frame rail, so the mounts for the longer spring would be easy and yes, I would do it. Shocks are a critical element. We have $2500 worth of shocks on our "stock suspension, drag radial" car. And I say it all the time, but will say it again, the trickest rear suspension in the world is useless, if the front won't work. Proper spring rate and good shocks are imperative to making these type cars work.

Monte

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 06:35 PM

Quote:

First off, he said "nitrous car". The fastest nitrous radial car in the country, be it Ford, Chevy, whatever, runs in the 7.50s. You will NEVER compete with boosted cars, so you can't even entertain that thought. There are a few leaf spring cars running 7s in the 1/4 and 4.80s in the 1/8, so it can be done. As far as power, a Predator headed 632 with 3 guns would be relatively competitve. These cars are more about power management than pure power. As stated above, the guy that won the nitrous side at the ORTC race, had a conventional headed 632 with 3 guns on a tunnel ram and went 4.76 in the final. The runner up has a 632 big chief motor, with a single 4 and two kits and he went 4.82. The big chief motor makes more power, but the 60ft decided this race.

Monte

do you know what these guys run in the 60 ft.?

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 07:22 PM

I know Brad Edwards the nitrous runner-up at ORTC has been 1.18 a few times against a few cars I help on. I have heard of a few cars going faster. The nitrous ez street car Monte helps with the nitrous on has gone 1.14 or 1.15 with 325's. I can't think of the guys name but its a green and silver notch fox body with a nitrous small block.

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/09/09 07:43 PM

Thanks Monte.

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/10/09 04:19 AM

The smallblock Mustang was Dustin Mewbournes and it has been 1.14, but not on a regular basis. That was a perfect run type deal. Henderson's big block Regal has been in the teens, but the norm is low 20s. We were on a marginal track this weekend in Montgomery with Henderson's car, on 325s. Went a best of 1.22. On a good track, with 315s, the "hitters" will go from 1.17 to 1.21 or so on a regular basis.

Monte

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/10/09 07:31 AM

just read on the YB that Francis Johnson went 1.13 on hoosier 315, 4.70 @ 153.49. f-body, nitrous, 615, 1 carb. sheesh.

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/10/09 12:55 PM

Is that the red f-body with the funny looking hood?

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/10/09 11:35 PM

Quote:

just read on the YB that Francis Johnson went 1.13 on hoosier 315, 4.70 @ 153.49. f-body, nitrous, 615, 1 carb. sheesh.

Francis can do that when the track is on "kill". He runs no progressive and hits it straight up with 3 guns. Track has to be awesome for that to work. In Florida at the ORTC race, he struggled to get down and I think went a best of 4.89.

That is the red Trans Am with yellow "true fire" flames from Maryland.

Monte
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 11/11/09 02:13 AM

I think a new Challenger would be your best bet. Supras and Vipers have been in the 7's with IRS and like it or not, it the "stock suspension" of the future.

TT R5/P7 and a 2900-3100 raceweight w/o driver.

(dragpacks weight 3100 and have stock heavy seats,dash,door panels etc etc...lots of fat to be cut)
Posted By: joshking440

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 12/14/11 10:28 PM

so in 2-3 years, how did people opinions change towards a combo like this?
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 12/14/11 10:31 PM

Quote:

ha ha ha ha

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 12/14/11 10:38 PM

Quote:

I would still like to have a 604 motor with an f-3!

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 12/14/11 10:54 PM

Quote:

IF you read the original/1st post, Guppy has achieved that...
7's at over 3200 lbs

Whats next is whats going to be interesting.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 12/15/11 02:34 AM

Quote:

Monte

i beg to differ w you,my friend Dean runs 1 stage short deck bb chebby in a orange stang 4.78 won x275 last month and has 3 2nd place finishes came in 2nd at shakedown @ etown and yellow bullet nationals.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 12/15/11 02:37 AM

i'm in the process of having my motor done for a sb 440ci on nos,fogger on x275 true stock suspension cal trac car 3000lb hopeing for 8.30's we shall see

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 12/15/11 03:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

i beg to differ w you,my friend Dean runs 1 stage short deck bb chebby in a orange stang 4.78 won x275 last month and has 3 2nd place finishes came in 2nd at shakedown @ etown and yellow bullet nationals.

You do know that Monte's comments were from 2009 right???
Thats 2 years ago...LOL
I sure hes well aware of Dino's car..
Posted By: Otherlane

Re: build a drag radial nitrous mopar? - 12/15/11 12:25 PM

Yes thats him.he was suppose to have a big motor in before going to FL but he has the car dial in so he didnt want to change it.From what he told me he might give it up like a full time job he says.
© 2024 Moparts Forums