Moparts

Is a heated rod (spun bearing) junk once its heated?

Posted By: domingo

Is a heated rod (spun bearing) junk once its heated? - 10/26/09 02:47 AM

My friends engine spun a rod bearing.

That made the rod get hot and it got some heat coloring due to the fact that it soun a bearing.

Is it OK to reuse that rod or once its been heated to the point of seeing a color change on the surface, is it JUNK?
Posted By: PUNK

Re: Is a heated rod (spun bearing) junk once its heated? - 10/26/09 02:50 AM

I would junk it. Not worth reusing in my opinion. A guy that I know that reconditions rods says no problem. I say they are good for someone other than me.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Is a heated rod (spun bearing) junk once its heated? - 10/26/09 03:44 AM

Quote:

That made the rod get hot and it got some heat coloring due to the fact that it soun a bearing.

Is it OK to reuse that rod or once its been heated to the point of seeing a color change on the surface, is it JUNK?

How much heat coloring and what kind of rod, steel or alumimum,stock, Eagle or? I agree with Sloan, throw the two bad ones(the one next to it also) away and get good ones now to avoid catastroshic failure later
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Is a heated rod (spun bearing) junk once its heated? - 10/26/09 11:40 AM

Quote:

Yes, it's junk.
Posted By: domingo

Re: Is a heated rod (spun bearing) junk once its heated? - 10/26/09 03:38 PM

Childs & Albert H beams.

Yes I told my buddy I didnt know for sure, but if it were me, Id scrap them.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Is a heated rod (spun bearing) junk once its heated? - 10/26/09 03:56 PM

I have reused street Hemi rods when I first started racing that had spun a bearing inside the rod but not overlap them and did not turn the crank and rods black they did have minor heat discoloring but not severe The big things is to have them magged first and then how much shorter can you stand for the two recondition rods to be versus the other 6? Those two replacement Child and Albert rods will be hard to find now
© 2024 Moparts Forums