Moparts

Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters

Posted By: mopartuner

Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/25/09 01:30 PM

Has anyone on here used them?Opinions?
Posted By: LSP

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/25/09 05:45 PM

I have used the lifters, so far so good, and they drop in with the heads on.
Posted By: hp340nos

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/29/09 03:57 PM

bump
Posted By: a408swinger

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/29/09 06:03 PM

Im using their lifters also, no problems here either after 2 seasons and they drop right in as stated above.

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/29/09 09:06 PM

Thanks for the comments,
Posted By: barracuda man

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 12:08 AM

Quote:

Im using their lifters also, no problems here either after 2 seasons and they drop right in as stated above.

Is this a solid or hydraulic roller lifter.I take it that there is no block grinding.What about oil mods to the stock block 340.

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 01:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is this a solid or hydraulic roller lifter.I take it that there is no block grinding.What about oil mods to the stock block 340.

I'm talking about the solid rollers, no grinding on OE 340 block, OE lifter bores.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 01:26 AM

do you have to run a herbert cam with them.?
ie..smaller base circle?
or any brand roller cam?
also...
what cam did you go with ..and did it make power?

heck while iam at it
what heads did you use and what valve springs are you running?
cheaspt

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 01:41 AM

Quote:

ie..smaller base circle?
or any brand roller cam?
also...

heck while iam at it
cheaspt

Ya im thinking of going roller.Is the herbert roller cam any good.

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 01:53 AM

I am thinking of going with the solid roller also.The smallest one on the list he has online is a 585/604 246/253@.050 has anyone heard anything about these?
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 02:14 AM

For what it's worth, I've used his roller lifters for years, and for my money they are as good as anything out there.

His stuff tends to be pretty decent (remember, Chet Herbert is one of the oldest, most successful cam grinders ever), so I wouldn't be afraid to use it.

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 02:27 AM

Quote:

ie..smaller base circle?
or any brand roller cam?
also...

heck while iam at it
cheaspt

I used the Comp .394" CR lobes, sorry, didn't measure the base circle, just made sure the oil band in the lifter was not exposed, mild ported "J" heads, Herbert 1.500" IIRC double springs, factory 340 intake ported/plenum divider removed, JE flat tops.

Ran 10.71 @ 125 in a 3200 lb. Duster @ 3800 ft.DA last week at Fontana, Ca.

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 02:34 AM

Let me ask this.What roller cam would you use with a 3.31 stroke 340 +30
Posted By: Hunted Duck

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 03:27 AM

I've used the Herbret .604/.603 cam in a small block 340. Ran 6.80-6.90s in the 1/8. Best of 6.73. Sold it to my Uncle and in his car it runs 6.70's with a best of 6.66. This was with ported 587's.
Posted By: Ian

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 04:05 AM

got my cam today and lifters from dougs cam grinder nice roller lifters,cam. best prices too
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 12:54 PM

Quote:

I used the Comp .394" CR lobes, sorry, didn't measure the base circle, just made sure the oil band in the lifter was not exposed, mild ported "J" heads, Herbert 1.500" IIRC double springs, factory 340 intake ported/plenum divider removed, JE flat tops.

R5-P7 I tried sending you a PM but it was full.

I wanted to ask what the combination was and where you shift. That motor sounds real strong for a stock intake manifold.

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 03:54 PM

ok..i got lots of questions for you guys who've used them
ive got a set of dougs rollers setting behind me on my shelf..had them for over a yr.
my question is..
can you give me some indepth data..on what springs you used. would you do anything different?
what was the installed heights how did you go about getting it? lots of work or fairly simple?
ive got ported j heads..with stock length valves
and 2.02 diam..
what did you use for keepers and locks?
how did you set up your heads for these cams?
i am looking for specifics as i want to put these in my motor..
as asked previously...what type of power band did you have/shift points..power graph if you had one..?
if i could figure this out..ill be installing it into my car,, pronto..
so i am all ears...cheapst

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 04:21 PM

Cheapstreet, I will answer a few of your questions. I am currently running a set of herberts in my 408. I had to grind my block to get the link bar passed the lifter valley. For stock heads I would run the comp 917 springs and install them at 1.750. Can't tell you what valve but they were from hughes engines. This should give you around 240 lbs of seat pressure. I ran the herbert .604/.603 roller in my 340 and it would go to 7400 but I shifted it at 6800. It did run about a tenth quicker if I shifted it at 7400. This was in my 340 with ported 587's from hughes.

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 04:26 PM

my isssues are gonna be spring heights and keepers..dont know what kinda installed height i can get with whats in there now..

let me ask you about the performance...
ive looked at that cam. what stall converter did you use? how did it pull at 4500?
did it fall off any..(sound like it didnt since you mention'd shifting higher)
do you know how much cyl psi you had after installing the cam?
thanks cheapst

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 04:36 PM

Quote:

my isssues are gonna be spring heights and keepers..dont know what kinda installed height i can get with whats in there now..

let me ask you about the performance...
ive looked at that cam. what stall converter did you use? how did it pull at 4500?
did it fall off any..(sound like it didnt since you mention'd shifting higher)
do you know how much cyl psi you had after installing the cam?
thanks cheapst

I never did check the cyl pressure. I was using JE flat top 340 pistons at .010 in the hole with a 65cc head. My convertor flashed at 5400. It was an 8" tubro action for a 904. It ran 10.89 at almost 123 was it's best in a 3200 Dart. And that was shifting at 6800. When I shifted at 7400 it was in the 1/8 mile. And I only did it a few times. Forgot to turn on my airshifter. If you could I would collapse down one of your springs and if you know anybody that has a spring height checker you can check your installed height right on the motor. This is how I did mine.
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 04:40 PM

Ok, Herbert drop-in roller lifters. Grinding or NO grinding???? Some say yes,so say no??

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 04:58 PM

Quote:

Ok, Herbert drop-in roller lifters. Grinding or NO grinding???? Some say yes,so say no??

it just depends on the casting of your block
cheapst

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/30/09 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

ie..smaller base circle?
or any brand roller cam?
also...

heck while iam at it
cheaspt

Just wanted to know the comp. ratio?I would like to try to run 10.90's with a 360,eddys,herbert cam&lifter set with 10.5/pump gas motor @3130#

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/31/09 02:31 AM

the biggist issue i see with herberts cams are the lack of choices...lol..
but i digess..
its got a fair bit of duration..it might bleed off too much compression..
depending on what your starting with mechanically for compression..
however...it seems there are those out there running someone elses camshaft with them.
my issue/concern is if you dont use a herbert cam...you want to make sure the cam lobe base circle doesent push or seat the lifter up so high that it exposes the oil passage..and you loose oil pressure. when it comes to ordering a non herbert cam.
so knowing the dimensions..the cams base circle needs to be at..might prevent a mistake..

i am very anxious to employee them..i just need to get the best data..
id hate to tear down a perfeclty good running race car..only to have to spend a ton on machine work....work and $$ i dont have time for right now...
but if its a plug and play...then i am in sooner than i would hope to be...

any one with experience can chime in ..
cheapst

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/31/09 01:00 PM

are you after a flat tapper or solid roller

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/31/09 01:42 PM

Quote:

are you after a flat tapper or solid roller

I think that we are looking at solid rollers

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/31/09 01:51 PM

12.5-1

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/31/09 02:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

R5-P7 I tried sending you a PM but it was full.

I wanted to ask what the combination was and where you shift. That motor sounds real strong for a stock intake manifold.

Sorry, PM's cleared now.

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/31/09 02:41 PM

Quote:

12.5-1

I have started to do a comp. test and I am getting 180psi/cyl.I hope I am doing this right.I have the throttle wired wide open/fresh battery,all plugs removed,3 pumps/turns of the motor.This is supposed to be around 10.5/10.7 compression ratio,sound right?
Posted By: a408swinger

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/31/09 03:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Im running a solid roller cam and lifters. I did no oiling mods at all. Just changed cams and dropped in the lifters and a bronze dist. gear. My cam has a .640 lift with a 1.5 rocker.

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/31/09 05:50 PM

I just got off the phone with the Doug herbert store and they will grind any of the small chevy grinds on the small mopar cores so that gives us alot more cams to pick from.

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 10/31/09 11:35 PM

pick a cam from Doug

Attached picture 5578709-ap6000001.jpg

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 11/01/09 02:17 AM

I was thinking the 6k or the 6kr.???

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 11/01/09 11:17 AM

6 k sounds good ,rember a roller is about 6 degrees bigger than the equivalent ft solid

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 11/03/09 02:12 AM

i gotta get my valve installed heights..
figured out.
cheapst.

Re: Doug Herbert SB roller cams&lifters - 11/03/09 02:51 AM

Quote:

i gotta get my valve installed heights..
figured out.
cheapst.

I am going to take my heads over to Tim at FHO he is just a few miles from me and I have dealt with him for years.My stuff usually runs pretty good and Tim is a big reason why.Tim actually started out racing small blocks years ago so he knows his way around the little motors as well as the Hemi's.
© 2024 Moparts Forums