Moparts

Milodon gear drive users come on in

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/21/09 10:55 PM

Who uses them? Who has used them and dont like them? What are the Pro's and Con's?
How hard are they to install?
How long do they last?
Thinking about stepping up to one of these for my hemi..

Are they noisy?
Posted By: hemi_doug

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/21/09 10:59 PM

From what I've been told a belt drive is the way to go. I have one of those on the shelf and am interested to know as well......
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/21/09 10:59 PM

they are not noisy. Tom has one on his blower motor. Chevy ones seem to be noisy, but not sure if they have the clearance correct. haven't gotten to use mine yet.

Attached picture 5558915-IMG_5305.JPG
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/21/09 11:06 PM

I like them

They aren't as noisy as the Pete Jackson type drives. Installation isn't so bad. The cam timing is a little tricky to get familiar with, once you know it it's a breeze. Then any changes are super easy. The only negative is that the pulley alihgnment can be a little tricky- but that wasn't too bad either. All in all- a good setup.

MB
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/21/09 11:09 PM

We use gear drives,belt drives and chain/gears.It's a matter of personal preference,budget,and purpose of build.All are fairly easy to work with unless you have an issue of distance or clearence,then they are all a pain in the azz.
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/21/09 11:21 PM

I had 3 of them.All Milodon type with the single idler. One in a Turbo Buick Stage 2 V6, 340 Mopar and 572 Hemi. All three were set with proper clearance. The Buick and the 340 were very quiet. For some reason the one on my Hemi is noisy. I think it may have something to do with the idler bolted to the aluminum cover. I actually had it in two different blocks so I know its not a clearance issue. Besides the noise, I like the precise timing that the gear drives offer. My Buick has over 3500 street miles with a solid roller and moderate spring pressures and getting ready to tear it down for inspection but don't expect to find any wear or problems with the gear drive.
Based on my experience, I would recomend it to anyone. As stated in the previous post, initial set-up is a little tricky but once it is set, it will stay there.

Allan G.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/21/09 11:31 PM

For the last 30 years I have used the Milodon gear drive and oil systems.Old guys get stuck in their old ways

Attached picture 5559001-ShortBlockGearDrive1.jpg
Posted By: chryco

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/21/09 11:33 PM

See if you can make it out on my car .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur1y3A23gAg
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 01:33 AM

I am gonna run the milodon this time around.... what the trick to adv/ret them.....
Posted By: Dodgeman67

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 01:43 AM

I need one for our hemi, anyone got a cheap one.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 01:49 AM

I really like mine got two one in the box form my next 542 and one that came with this JWD 452.
First yo put them on with no lower dowel pins and get gear clearance right drill to 5/16 and install 5'16 dowels and that is done.
Trick is there are no timing marks!
so you get your degree wheel on at TDC! one of these is the cats butt for this!!
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/crtusowidewh.html
you turn the cam to .050 lift and turn the crank to the @.050 number you desire and then line the top gear up so 7 bolts line up perfectly and tighten gear then do your regular degree checks to make sure where you are!! the mark things and any advancing and retarding of cam from where you are is done buy lining numbers up to the original 1 mark!!

So if you have a 260 @ .050 cam and you want it at 106 you devide 260 by 2 = 130 then you subtract 106 this leave 24 so you want @.050 lift at 24 BTDC (before)

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 01:52 AM

pictures

Attached picture 5559299-Cranksproket2.JPG
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 01:54 AM

Ive run one on my engine for 10 years. Not hard to set up. Had to buy a new front cover. We made an intake and went to alky. Never noticed any loud noises from mine, but you can hear it. Here's some pics, hoping to fire it up again in may. Huricane got the body. Please dont pick on me too much. Everything was built in our shop and we dont claim to be pros, just enjoy our mopars. My 72 cuda. New fiberglass roof being made now thanks to Katrina and gustauv. Got me twice

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 01:59 AM

Attached picture 5559317-Cranksproket1.JPG

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 02:01 AM

Attached picture 5559325-Cranksproket3.JPG

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 02:02 AM

Attached picture 5559330-Cranksproket4.JPG
Posted By: Neil

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 02:02 AM

My brother has one in a 455 olds and another going in a 350. You can't hear the gear drive on the 455 because of the 3.5" exhaust. They do take a little time to install them.

On a related note has anyone ever ran a belt and and a gear drive back to back? My machinist had a single idler gear drive on an injected 355 sbc and tried a jessel belt drive for the heck of it. The belt drive slowed the cars 60' time and as soon as he put the gear drive back in it returned to normal. He came to the conclusion that the belt was stretching a little when the car was taking off and in turn it was throwing the timing off enough to kill a little power. This particular engine is in a flyweight opel gt and revs to 8-9k very easily.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 02:07 AM

Keep'em coming guys..
What mods if any are required to the after market MP blocks, I actually have a World. 4.5 bore version.
I tried to read the installation instruction on the web site. It would have probably understood it better If I had the parts in front of me, or any experience with these.
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 02:11 AM

My block is a 1999 mp siameese mega block I sent to indy to get decked to 10.7100 then lightend. Just the dowels was the only thing. The block is O ringed since I have 14.85/1
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 02:36 AM

I have installed and used all three of the Milidon, Kieth Blacks and Donovan single idler gear drives for the B-RB & Hemi motors and maybe one of them on a SB Mopar(can't really remember or not on the SB. They are reliable and accurate, some of the early production blocks needed grinding inside the block to clear the idler, some didn't

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 03:36 AM

Quote:

Keep'em coming guys..
What mods if any are required to the after market MP blocks, I actually have a World. 4.5 bore version.
I tried to read the installation instruction on the web site. It would have probably understood it better If I had the parts in front of me, or any experience with these.

The Milodon gear drive in my World block cleared without any special grinding. My Pre-World MP block needed more aggressive grinding to some internal boss.
Posted By: 1badx

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 03:55 AM

Mines noisy, it depends on your preference. If I had to do it again I'd go with a belt drive.
Posted By: Madness

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 04:38 AM

I've had one for years hanging on the wall that says RAMCHARGERS across the top. Is it common?
Posted By: brktracr

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 06:34 AM

I recently put one on my World block, 4.5 bore. Easy installation but a few things we discovered. You will need longer bolts for the electric water pump as the Milodon spaces the water pump out to clear the cover. You will need a new dampner or a spacer behind the existing dampner along with longer bolts for mounting the dampner. Outside of these, I really like the Milodon and it is not very noisy at all.

Good luck
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 08:01 AM

WHAT?
I have had two of them in three different big blocks, and switched to belt drive because of the noice. In the engine dyno through mufflers the operator asked several times if the engine is really ok, are you sure that it won't blow up? Other than that it's a good unit, very reliable and accurate, easy to set on after you figure it out etc. However, nothing wrong with a good chain either, and a bunch less $.
Posted By: 572charger

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 10:19 AM

ive had one on my hemi since 2003 makes alittle noise i can hear it at cruise inside my car sounds like a vacuum leak i got mine brand new for 380.00 so i bought it u need it on a hemi or a belt drive last barton ss hemi i saw still had one on it mopar muscle or action did some dyno testing i think the gear drive made the most hp and kept the cam timming dead on !! my mopar 2002 block needed grinding to clearance the idler !!!
Posted By: NENE

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 11:49 AM

Very accurate and very strong, I run it for more than 20 years w/o any trouble. Go for it !
Posted By: mac56

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 12:02 PM

Quote:

I really like mine got two one in the box form my next 542 and one that came with this JWD 452.
First yo put them on with no lower dowel pins and get gear clearance right drill to 5/16 and install 5'16 dowels and that is done.
Trick is there are no timing marks!
so you get your degree wheel on at TDC! one of these is the cats butt for this!!
you turn the cam to .050 lift and turn the crank to the @.050 number you desire and then line the top gear up so 7 bolts line up perfectly and tighten gear then do your regular degree checks to make sure where you are!! the mark things and any advancing and retarding of cam from where you are is done buy lining numbers up to the original 1 mark!!

So if you have a 260 @ .050 cam and you want it at 106 you devide 260 by 2 = 130 then you subtract 106 this leave 24 so you want @.050 lift at 24 BTDC (before)

That is the cat's meow Barry. I will be getting one of those.
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 01:04 PM

Milodon here, quiet.
stay with single idlers, more power and less vibes from what I here.

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 01:49 PM

That is the cat's meow Barry. I will be getting one of those.

It was so nice when I changed cams as you pull it off do what you got to do put it back on and tighten the set screw no re doing the corrected 0 mark plus the handy 1/2 ratchet use to turn the engine!
did a buddys cam timing in AYR in august and he liked it too! LOL!!
Posted By: RAMM

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 03:36 PM

Quote:

WHAT?
I have had two of them in three different big blocks, and switched to belt drive because of the noice. In the engine dyno through mufflers the operator asked several times if the engine is really ok, are you sure that it won't blow up? Other than that it's a good unit, very reliable and accurate, easy to set on after you figure it out etc. However, nothing wrong with a good chain either, and a bunch less $.

I totally agree with this statement! We fired our 471 up and I thought the dyno was frigged up because of the different and very noticeable noise. I put my stethoscope all over the engine just to make sure and the second I touched the cover it just about tore my ear drums out. I think it does have a lot to do with the idler gear being and integral part of the cover. That being said- timing stays super accurate, once you know how to use the vernier type cam gear you can jack the cam around to whatever you want quickly and easily. My only piece of advice would be to get a GOOD dampener as I think it kicks the crap outta a lesser one pretty fast. J.Rob

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 03:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

WHAT?

I totally agree with this statement! We fired our 471 up and I thought the dyno was frigged up because of the different and very noticeable noise. I put my stethoscope all over the engine just to make sure and the second I touched the cover it just about tore my ear drums out. I think it does have a lot to do with the idler gear being and integral part of the cover. That being said- timing stays super accurate, once you know how to use the vernier type cam gear you can jack the cam around to whatever you want quickly and easily. My only piece of advice would be to get a GOOD dampener as I think it kicks the crap outta a lesser one pretty fast. J.Rob

I think its all relative. What one person would consider noisy, another may say its not. The Milodon installed in my Hemi is noisy compared to the other 2 milodon drives I used. I also think its from the idler bolted to the cover instead of the block.
AG
Posted By: Tig

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 04:33 PM

Have one on a KB block, no mods needed though you have to get the correct damper. Stable timing but noisey. With the mufflers on it sounds like I'm running a procharger. Personally I don't like the noise but I can live with it.
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 06:06 PM

Milodon gear drive here too , as said already , whistles like a supercharger , the front oil gallery has been modified to spray oil on the gear drive (megablock).

The gear drive helps regards the excessive endplay on crank (0.015")

Posted By: R_Blaha

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/22/09 07:11 PM

My dad's 496 has a Milodon gear quick change drive and it pushes the water pump out so there is less room from the pulley to the radiator. I have the pete jackson on my hemi, fits under the stock timing cover, was a little less $$ than the Milodon and sounds just the same.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 10/23/09 09:25 AM

You can get the sound of the Stereos with only a CD cost. I have borken two P&J's, I would never use a floatinig dual idler again. nayway, with the Milodon I actually stated to have torubles in the yearly inspection, not beacause of the exhaust noice, but engines mechanical noice. That's the only reason I switched to Jesel.

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/08/11 02:48 PM

I'm bumping this thread up from way back as I noticed I posted in it inquiring about them also and I must say mine seems noisy this time ....

Bob you ever get one?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/08/11 03:22 PM

I've been running a KB gear set for about 12 years
now on my 2 race engines(small blocks)... no noise
and timing is dead steady... just have to set the back
lash on the idler to the specs and drill and tap 1 hole...
They are pretty nice... loosen a few screws and you
can change the cam timing(degree marks on the cam gear)
I also have a KB for a BB as well as a aussie belt drive
which is new... I'm in the process of selling off
my BB stuff
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/08/11 03:39 PM

We run one in our small block too.

Cant even tell its in there.
Posted By: Dustedu

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/09/11 03:52 AM

I got about eight years on mine, no problems and its not loud on the smallblock

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/09/11 10:17 AM

I'll be replacing it with a belt drive this winter, I just don't dig the noise
As a paradox, the gear drive will then be going on my street 528 motor
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/09/11 03:01 PM

What about the damper? I've run one for years on stock blocks and now an Indy Maxx. I've always run a fluidamper that I believe was stock replacement. I don't think there is a problem there. You have to set the cam thrust. I had to take a 3m "cookie" and remove material from the raised button so that the cover wasn't pushing on the cam probably was a good .060 interference. I also didnt like the news paper thing for setting lash I endded up removing one dowel pin to get rid of excess lash I had. basically clocked it on one dowel and bolt it down. With the cover off you can "feel" the lash. I do like it though,set the cams .050 intake number and line the gear bolts and adjust from there for preferance. Very fast set up.

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/09/11 05:50 PM

With the stock replacement ATi superdamper you will catch the cover, don't ask me how I know
Posted By: steeldust

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/10/11 04:07 PM

I builted a 572 and put a Milodon gear drive on and i like it and it makes just a little noise and it works real good and looks nice a friend run one for 15 years and now has one on a HEMI .ATI super damper 917475E it`s a 7" alum with B V8-oem front and went right on and works GOOD LUCK.

Attached picture 6722202-JUNEBOUNTYRACE.jpg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/10/11 04:47 PM

I bought this one years ago for $50 at a swapmeet. As yet I've been unable to determine who made it. It didn't look like it had ever been used. It goes on the stock pins and then you adjust gear clearance. The idler is on the right side as opposed to most others being on the left (should that matter?). It has timing marks on the gears but they're kind of useless because the idler is not the same size as the bottom gear so as soon as the motor is turned over once, the marks won't line up again for God knows how many more turns! What I need to know is how much clearance the gears need and how you get that (I've heard you run a piece of paper though each gear and that's the clearance - about .006")

Attached picture 6722274-misc001.jpg

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/10/11 05:23 PM

Quote:

I bought this one years ago for $50 at a swapmeet. As yet I've been unable to determine who made it. It didn't look like it had ever been used. It goes on the stock pins and then you adjust gear clearance. The idler is on the right side as opposed to most others being on the left (should that matter?). It has timing marks on the gears but they're kind of useless because the idler is not the same size as the bottom gear so as soon as the motor is turned over once, the marks won't line up again for God knows how many more turns! What I need to know is how much clearance the gears need and how you get that (I've heard you run a piece of paper though each gear and that's the clearance - about .006")

It may work if you get number one up top dead center and put a paper in the gears the marks is to let you advance or retart the timing that`s the way it should work good luck.

Attached picture 6722322-JUNEBOUNTYRACE.jpg

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/11/11 06:00 PM

917475E is the ATi part # listed for non oem covers. It's for "Donavan & KB Gear drive or Indy timing cover".
Sorry to be a pedant, just dont want people making the same mistake I did.

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/12/11 12:28 AM

Quote:

917475E is the ATi part # listed for non oem covers. It's for "Donavan & KB Gear drive or Indy timing cover".
Sorry to be a pedant, just dont want people making the same mistake I did.

That`s what i put on my motor and my fuel pump pulley went right on the same way it was on my stock Damper but i had to put longer bolts in the pulley and it work with my Milodon gear drive . And i run motor plates and my water pump went right on

Attached picture 6724702-JUNEBOUNTYRACE.jpg
Posted By: poppaj

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/12/11 12:55 AM

We use a gear drive as well, I switched back from a Jessel belt. gear drive is the most accurate.

Attached picture 6724762-b1.jpg
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/12/11 04:30 PM

Under all the other STUFF Milodon Gear Drive. By far the most accurate!

Attached picture 6725846-Picture003.jpg

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/13/11 01:14 AM

took it all apart and set the lash and sounds more normal now! still has the whine but not as much! I just used the paper setup and tightened everything back down

Re: Milodon gear drive users come on in - 07/13/11 03:22 AM

Quote:

took it all apart and set the lash and sounds more normal now! still has the whine but not as much! I just used the paper setup and tightened everything back down

Sounds good man it`s going to make a little noise but not much good luck.

Attached picture 6726853-JUNEBOUNTYRACE.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums