Moparts

which electric water pump do you prefer ?

Posted By: 65_gt_rag_402

which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/21/09 04:39 PM

Which electic water pump are you guys using on your small blocks ? Also , what kind of gains by using one? I have a mopar clutch fan on mine now.
Always looking for a little more HP .

Any pictures of your set ups also .
How about electric fans ... what are you guys using there ? I'd probally need a pusher style.

Attached picture 5558256-reaggieengine709passside.jpg
Posted By: moparniac

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/21/09 05:00 PM

Cvr 55gpm
Posted By: ajcasini

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/21/09 05:23 PM

I have had the CSR (CSI) pump on my car for 6 years now with no issues.
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/21/09 06:12 PM

Have a Moroso on my Mom's Duster 360, and a CSI on my 422. Both work great. I think going from a fan and pump to a electric pump is good for .10 in the 1/8th.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/21/09 06:21 PM

CSR here.. Love it..
Posted By: 65_gt_rag_402

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/21/09 07:17 PM

I've been reading that the moroso does not stick out as far towards the radiator as the CSR one does.
Is that correct and how much is the difference ?
I'd probally have clearance problems.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/21/09 07:21 PM

Quote:

Which electic water pump are you guys using on your small blocks ? Also , what kind of gains by using one? I have a mopar clutch fan on mine now.
Always looking for a little more HP .

Any pictures of your set ups also .

Me and my brother both saw right at a 1/10 swapping to an electric pump and fan
Posted By: 68Fastback

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/21/09 07:35 PM

Don't forget about good fans, something with 2000 plus CFM.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/21/09 08:02 PM

Meziere on my Hemi. Works great. CHIP

Attached picture 5558631-cudadriveway.jpg
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/21/09 08:47 PM

I still use the stocker run by a Moroso electric motor, for simplicity sake.

Think about it, the motor goes out you have another one in the trailer. Bolt it on and continue to race. I you have a Meziere or something and it goes out, you go home.

I'm a simple man.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/22/09 12:42 AM

We run the Moroso units and have never had any problems.

Nothing wrong at all with simplicity...we still use a Mopar tach drive distributor and Stewart Warner gauges,along with other old stuff.If it works,why get rid of it???
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/22/09 12:42 AM

I am running the Moroso also so far no problems
Posted By: Cudahlr

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/22/09 01:07 AM

I run the Moroso too.

Attached picture 5559214-100_2446.JPG
Posted By: Cudahlr

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/22/09 01:11 AM

Here's another pic.

Attached picture 5559219-100_2447.JPG
Posted By: mopars rule

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/22/09 02:06 AM

I think the Moroso unit is 1" shorter than the CSR.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/22/09 02:18 AM

You would be surprised on the people running the Moroso water pump drive kit.
I know I was floored when I seen Bob Reed's Cuda have one.
Like someone else said they are simple and do the job.
I have run the Meziere drop in unit for a big block. I ran that water pump season after season..It was one if the few things that you can install on a race car and absolutely forget maintenance or trouble.
But Now I dont have a aluminum water pump housing or water pump...So getting both of these and then add in the cost of the Moroso drive..Im looking at the complete Meziere unit cost wise.
Posted By: 1976 Aspen

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/22/09 02:36 AM

Well, I have had a Moroso unit for the past two years. The first thing that happened was the set screws from the motor to the impeller came loose and the impeller quit turning. That was a wasted weekend of racing. My buddy's Moroso did the exact same thing and they were bought at the same time. Last race of the year three weeks ago my pump decides to quit almost costing me the championship. I swapped over to a mechanical for the day and ran like that. And guess who's pump went out within the next day... yup, my buddy's... My buddy is getting his replaced for free because it was less than a year since the first replacement. I had to pay $44 for parts & Labor to fix mine which isn't bad... Are we the only unlucky people having problems with these pumps???

Whatcha think StrokerDart??? Can we be that unlucky???
Posted By: mopar376d

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/22/09 08:43 AM

I have a Meziere on one car and a CSR on the other.

Both beat a stock pump by far but the Meziere is a much better pump.

Attached picture 5559747-Bel&Bee_post.jpg
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/22/09 02:06 PM

I have always had good luck with Meziere.
Posted By: StrokerDart

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/22/09 05:35 PM

Quote:

Well, I have had a Moroso unit for the past two years. The first thing that happened was the set screws from the motor to the impeller came loose and the impeller quit turning. That was a wasted weekend of racing. My buddy's Moroso did the exact same thing and they were bought at the same time. Last race of the year three weeks ago my pump decides to quit almost costing me the championship. I swapped over to a mechanical for the day and ran like that. And guess who's pump went out within the next day... yup, my buddy's... My buddy is getting his replaced for free because it was less than a year since the first replacement. I had to pay $44 for parts & Labor to fix mine which isn't bad... Are we the only unlucky people having problems with these pumps???

Whatcha think StrokerDart??? Can we be that unlucky???

Seems uncanny that we'd have three pumps go on us... each time only lasting months of use ... but maybe we just hit a bad batch . BTW The repair guy at Moroso said my most recent one they found the hole the impeller shaft rides in was too shallow by a fraction of an inch... I bitched about the set screws coming loose and that I think that is the root cause of the pumps eventually failing electrically...
He assures me we should be good now and that the set screw "issue" will be looked after on the repairs (as well as for future ones on the assembly line I suupose)

I definitely like the Moroso from a design perspective ... makes it easy to rig an alternator in the stock location using the stock alt brackets. All we needed to do was make correct length bushings for the two (long) bolts holding alt brackets to the water pump.

I think a spare in the trailer might be a good idea anyway though.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: which electric water pump do you prefer ? - 10/22/09 05:44 PM

Another vote for Meziere here also!
© 2024 Moparts Forums