Moparts

Alt wiring... Please help

Posted By: DemonDust

Alt wiring... Please help - 10/13/09 03:33 PM

I have a 90 amp 1 wire alt on it's way for the R5.

My questions are, What size wire should I run? Where should it run to?

I have a switch on the rear tail panel, but I always hear about problems with the engine still running after shutting off the switch. I'm thinking the wire should go straight to the battery right? So this will take a heavy wire?
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: Alt wiring... Please help - 10/13/09 03:51 PM

I run one wire from the alt to a solenoid in the trunk that is between the battery and the alt and a second wire from the alt to relay box under the hood that is used to power the headlights and fan.

In my situation if I wanted to kill the alt from a switch in the tail panel I'd need a second solenoid.

Both wires are #6
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Alt wiring... Please help - 10/13/09 03:52 PM

i used #4 to be safe.how do you have your car wired for power for shutting it off from the driver seat?
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Alt wiring... Please help - 10/13/09 04:01 PM

I have a switch on the dash to shut the IGN off..
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: Alt wiring... Please help - 10/13/09 06:00 PM

Quote:

i used #4 to be safe.how do you have your car wired for power for shutting it off from the driver seat?

If that question was to me...

The wire from the alt runs to the battery side of the relay, also from the battery side is a smaller wire that provides power to the fuse block, the solenoid is actuated from power provided from the ignition back to the solenoid which in turn delivers power to the starter. The ignition still performs as it would in any other car. I basically used what is provided by Mad Electrical for a remote battery set up.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Alt wiring... Please help - 10/13/09 06:57 PM

The simplest thing to do is run a long large wire < size depends on lenght and amps> to the batt B+ or the batt side of the cut off switch, I am assuming your batt is in the back, the larger the wire and the better the quality will determine voltage drop from the alt, care full wire routing and chafe gear is important , fusing the output wire is up to you depending on how safe you think the run is and the wire used, proper crimp ends and shrink tube is a good idea, I always run agw wire one size larger than the chart recommends and never had low voltage problems, this is the basic simple stupid way to do this, there are many other ways to wire this system just look up the posts
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Alt wiring... Please help - 10/13/09 09:37 PM

here is one way

Attached picture 5543101-racecarwire.jpg

Re: Alt wiring... Please help - 10/13/09 09:38 PM

other

Attached picture 5543102-trunkbattwire2.jpg

Re: Alt wiring... Please help - 10/13/09 09:39 PM

one more ..All are just food for thought

Attached picture 5543105-trunkbattwire3.jpg