Moparts

Saftey on the track huh?

Posted By: dartman366

Saftey on the track huh? - 10/05/09 11:53 PM

How many of you disagree with the track official's letting Robert Hight make a full on pass with a obviously dead car sitting halfway down the track in the other lane?? that's just brainless to me.
Posted By: Chad Bittle

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 12:05 AM

Second time I've seen that happen. First was at Night Under Fire when an Outlaw car broke down after a burnout. They made the driver stand on other side of the wall and let guy do a solo run.... I dunno.

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 12:33 AM

97 hit's and only two of us think's it was wrong.
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 12:35 AM

I think it is very wrong. Just like when someone blows smoke at the big end and they run another pair without checking track.
Posted By: MoparPitBull

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 12:53 AM

STUPID!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: hemidup

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 01:07 AM

Totally wrong!
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 01:07 AM

It's wrong They did that crap at our local track once. When did it air today? I missed it.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 01:16 AM

You think that's wrong listen to this.

Down at Bristol for the Jr dragster ECF (NHRA national event) they did the same thing. More than once. This time it was my daughter Taylor. Carb fell off (not that unusual for these cars) and she was sitting there, stopped in the middle of the track and they sent another pair.

That car came within a foot or so of hitting her.

Thankfully she listned to what I taught her and stayed in the car.

When confronted, they started with all the typical, no tail light on and this and that untill one guy actually manned up and said he messed up, there was a light, and how sorry he was, yadda, yadda.....

Posted By: joedust451

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 01:56 AM

Extreamly Dumb !!
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 02:27 AM

I would stand in the middle of the track waving to make sure they saw me until they sent someone down to get me. Why take a chance on someone piling into the back of your car at speed?
Posted By: SKR8PN

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 02:39 AM

Quote:

I would stand in the middle of the track waving to make sure they saw me until they sent someone down to get me. Why take a chance on someone piling into the back of your car at speed?

I'd feel a WHOLE lot safer INSIDE the car, with a full cage and all the other safety gear on, than standing on the track with nothing but air to protect you.....

Norwalk did the same thing to me the day I scattered the engine. I sat in the car at 3/4 track, looking in the rearview mirror, and watched both lanes leave....

Re: Saftey on the track huh? *DELETED* - 10/06/09 05:07 AM

Post deleted by joedust451

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 05:11 AM

Quote:

They should see you, thats IF there doing there jobs & not standing around rollin the dice if you catch my drift .
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 05:11 AM

The little track I run at is pretty good about clearing the track before the next pair. Never seen anything like you guy's are talking about. Hope I never do.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 05:32 AM

This is a very common practice. You can't just shut off a fuel Funny Car after the burnout, get the other car off the track and then refire the other. Hight would have had to go back to the pits, service the car and then come back for a single. That would have disrupted the whole day. As I said, this is very common, seen it many times. You get the driver out of harms way and send the other car. If the car won't back up, like the T/F car, you just have him idle down, but if it breaks or loses fire on the burnout, you have no choice but what they did. This ain't bracket racing. You can't even refire Pro Stocks if there is a delay after the burnout and they get shut off, it wrecks the clutch and puts too much heat in the motor.

Monte
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 05:40 AM

sounds entirely braindead to me....
closest to that i have seen where when a topfueler broke down while doing burnout it was rolled very quickly to the wall and driver jumped out and over the wall just outside the starting line and then they let the other car make its pass,that looked ok to me and done to save alot of work and money and for safety for the other fueler, but halfway out thats just stupid
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 05:53 AM

As with most topics here, this has gotten off course and will soon be headed to useless. You guys are talking about two totally different things. What happened in Memphis and some idiot at your local track turning a pair loose with a car still on the track, well those two things are not even remotely in the same galaxy. Obviously it was not the first time this has happened at an NHRA event. The driver of the broken car immediately got out and got over the wall with the help of an NHRA official. Stewart gave Hight the single signal, he staged and made a pass. The idiot Paul Page, asked Dunn about it, he responded it was normal and no big deal. It was no big deal to anybody. Have seen it happen in NHRA, IHRA, ADRL and just about any other major organization. Unless the other car crashes on the burnout, or gets in the other lane, you just don't shut a car off, to remove the broken car. And if you did happen to hit the stopped car, you were likely going to crash anyway, but I have never, ever, seen, or heard of the single car, hitting the broken car.....plus, the broken car was nowhere near halftrack.

Monte
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/06/09 11:52 AM

Makes sense for trained pro drivers.

Local crap, not so much.
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/10/09 05:51 AM

The driver of the broken car is out and over the wall, out of harms way.I've seen this happen several times over the years, no big deal.
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/10/09 01:55 PM

Quote:

I think it is very wrong. Just like when someone blows smoke at the big end and they run another pair without checking track.

Agreed... I ventilated my oil pan with a rod and they sent a car right after me. The next guy got way out of shape as he drove through 7 quarts of my oil!

As far as running with a car pulled off to the side, I saw a funny car hit another car which was pulled off to the side of the track. Funny car got out of shape crossed the center line and rammed the disabled car...
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/10/09 05:20 PM

Its the second time NHRA has let that happen this year! Doesn't seem safe to me! Especially with Funny Cars.

Re: Saftey on the track huh? - 10/10/09 08:04 PM

I guess I was looking at it from a bracket racer's stand point, not realizing about not shuting of a fuel car, while I still feel it's a little unsafe, I understand it more and appreciate Monte's explaination, guess we learn a little somthing everyday.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Safety on the track huh? - 10/12/09 08:52 PM

Just heard that Haddock will be sitting out the rest of the season...after parking on the track last week, then blowing up yesterday, he's been suspended.
© 2024 Moparts Forums