Moparts

Engine Bay wiring.... Fusible Link?????

Posted By: DemonDust

Engine Bay wiring.... Fusible Link????? - 10/05/09 11:03 PM

My engine bay basicly has the forward light wiring. I am running one wire from my alt, and need to run the power wire from the starter relay to the junction block. This is normally the fusible link. I would like to run a fuse in place of this. Can anyone tell me what amp should be the cut out for this?
Posted By: landon1

Re: Engine Bay wiring.... Fusible Link????? - 10/06/09 12:37 AM

painless sells several different amp ratings, but i think their harnesses come with 70 amp maxi fuse - not 100% on that, though
Posted By: 493_Scamp

Re: Engine Bay wiring.... Fusible Link????? - 10/06/09 12:57 AM

You might check out some of the OEM solutions like the very large bolt on fusable links ford uses on trucks or the resetable circuit breakers used on wreckers\trailer packages. Much easier to reset after finding the short and make the next round. Ive seen them in 200 amps capacity.
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: Engine Bay wiring.... Fusible Link????? - 10/06/09 02:44 AM

60-100a depending on your load and charging capacity.

I had a Maxifuse crack across element once, get to 6200 rpm and it stopped charging. I chased my tail on that one for over a year.

Go with a fusible link. I got mine from a junkyard GM wiring loom.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Engine Bay wiring.... Fusible Link????? - 10/06/09 04:31 AM

When I put my battery in the trunk I ran my main hot feed from the battery on a 10 gauge wire right from the battery to my starter relay and I used a 60 amp cartridge type fuse for my fusible link. I have just all the stock items on my 63 and I added the Mopar electronic ign , electric fuel pump and the electric fan that I just added a few months ago. Other then that it is just a stock 63 wire harness setup. I use a stock 55 amp alternator and everything has worked fine since 2006 when I go it on the road. I carry an extra 60 amp cartridge type fuse just in case but have never needed it. Ron
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Engine Bay wiring.... Fusible Link????? - 10/06/09 05:44 AM

How many amps does the starter, electric fuel, water pump, fan and ignition draw when all of them are on? Find that out and add a safe margin like 25 amps or a little more

Re: Engine Bay wiring.... Fusible Link????? - 10/06/09 05:55 AM

Quote:

How many amps does the starter, electric fuel, water pump, fan and ignition draw when all of them are on? Find that out and add a safe margin like 25 amps or a little more

Think you may want to eliminate the starter from that circuit. Ron
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: Engine Bay wiring.... Fusible Link????? - 10/06/09 06:02 AM

Quote:

When I put my battery in the trunk I ran my main hot feed from the battery on a 10 gauge wire right from the battery to my starter relay and I used a 60 amp cartridge type fuse for my fusible link. I have just all the stock items on my 63 and I added the Mopar electronic ign , electric fuel pump and the electric fan that I just added a few months ago. Other then that it is just a stock 63 wire harness setup. I use a stock 55 amp alternator and everything has worked fine since 2006 when I go it on the road. I carry an extra 60 amp cartridge type fuse just in case but have never needed it. Ron

FYI, 10 awg is rated for 35a. You'll never get to 60a, except in SC condition.
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Engine Bay wiring.... Fusible Link????? - 10/06/09 03:25 PM

I'm actually looking to just run the headlights, signals, msd, and gauges inside the car, with this wire. The fan, will be on a separate circuit.

I have the factory fusible link, but i don't want to burn it up and have to replace it. I'd rather replace a fuse or reset a breaker.

Re: Engine Bay wiring.... Fusible Link????? - 10/06/09 04:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

FYI, 10 awg is rated for 35a. You'll never get to 60a, except in SC condition.

The factory used 10 gauge alot on the older cars (60's & 70's) alt wires to the amp meter and battery. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums