Moparts

Whats wrong with this pic

Posted By: CRT

Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 02:44 PM

Taken at Norwalk, have not touched the ladder bars, and the car has been going left all year.

Attached picture 5525968-100_6356small.JPG
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 02:46 PM

How old are the tires? CHIP

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 02:47 PM

New this year , May I put them on, They have about 80 passes

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 02:54 PM

So did it start going left when you put the new tires on in May? Or was it doing it prior to the tire change? CHIP
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 02:55 PM

Did you check the rollout on the tires??? Maybe a wheel got bent on install?
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 02:57 PM

Twisted/turned axle tube? Weak shock?
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 02:58 PM

If you get the chance this year yet I would try to swap the tires side to side and see what effect you end up with.

You may have one tire that is slightly different in circumfrence than the other.

Did you have this issue when the tires were first installed?

If you see a difference then I think you have a tire issue. Just my

Attached picture 5526015-Norwalk2.jpg
Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 03:01 PM

Quote:

I'd be looking here as well.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 03:02 PM

Quote:

Did you check the rollout on the tires???

first thing came to my mind

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 03:05 PM

ya know, I did not check the rollout on the tires (MTs 29.5 X 10.5w) and the shocks are 10+ years old, At Norwalk this year, one pass its in the air and to the left, next pass, the tires slip. This is get worse as the year when on, But after looking at the pic, I did not realize just how bad it was going left.
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 03:11 PM

Quote:

ya know, I did not check the rollout on the tires (MTs 29.5 X 10.5w) and the shocks are 10+ years old, At Norwalk this year, one pass its in the air and to the left, next pass, the tires slip. This is get worse as the year when on, But after looking at the pic, I did not realize just how bad it was going left.

mickeys are the worst on rollout. you have to measure, you can't go by the #'s on them.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 03:12 PM

Quote:

John - the first thing wrong with the pic is that is is blurry.....lol

Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 03:13 PM

You're still in your lane!

If all else fails just aim it to the RIGHT!

Just kidding!! Has to be something simple IMO
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 03:17 PM

I assume it has a spool, not a SureGrip?

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 03:22 PM

John,
Checking the rollout should be the next thing you do. Or you can just swap em side to side at the track and see if it goes the other way. Then you know the tires are the issue.
If that checks out fine, then start looking for twisted or bent parts, lol. CHIP
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 03:36 PM

Checkin the rollout is easy and certainly won't hurt. However, I have had a mismatched rollout in the past and this does not appear to be the case here. When I experienced the rollout issue I had to [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] the wheel to get the car to go straight when I was driving it through the pits or down the track. And it definitely did not leave like what you are showing here. If you are not cockin the wheel then I would say your issue is elsewhere. A bad shock could definitely cause this. I have piloted a car with a bad shock before and it left hard to one side. Also check your rod ends if you are running ladder bars or a 4 link. I think you had bars if I remember correctly. After all that you need to get it on the scales. Hope you get it straightened out.
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 03:54 PM

I saw a camaro with a loose shock bolt that would go right. Tightened that up and problem solved... Just an idea.
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 04:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

John - the first thing wrong with the pic is that is is blurry.....lol

Nah, that dude in the Summit shirt is in focus!
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 05:01 PM

Derricks Henry J started doing that all of a sudden last year roll out and shocks have been checked but maybe it's a bent rear end?? he's pulling his hair trying to solve it.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/05/09 05:45 PM

If not a tire issue, the only way a car goes that hard left on the backtires, is pre-load, it has too much weight on the RR tire, causing the car to drive left. Now too much pre-load can be from shocks, bent parts, worn heim ends, weight moved around, any number of things.....However, I would look at tires and wheelie bars first. Misadjusted wheelie bars will also steer the car.

Monte
Posted By: kruger

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/06/09 12:19 AM

Quote:

Thats was the first thing that came to mind.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/06/09 12:26 AM

Quote:

If all else fails just aim it to the RIGHT!

That only works with golf

I second check roll out. One time I had 1# more air pressure in one tire and the car hooked so hard I almost took out the tree
Posted By: Hyper Henry

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/06/09 12:53 AM

I'm watching this thread closely as I am having the same problem We have played with preload, shock settings and air pressure to hells end and will still go hard left if I don't keep the wheelie bars down to limit the wheelies and that's boring Hell I have almost took the tree out on a few occasions
My Strange double adustables are omly 2 years old and have had two differnt sets of slicks on the car. Mine seems like it has only done it ever since I installed the wheelie bars so some say to try them without But don't think I dare as I think the car might get stupid high then
Dumb question but how can I check to see if I have a bad shock

Derrick
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/06/09 12:54 AM

John,
I agree with most on here that tires would be first suspect, I run M/T's (have for a long time), 29.5 X 11.5, 3270 lb, leaf springs only. When you are checking the tires, also make sure to check the rim screws. My car was turning at the hit, to the point that I had to lift. I found all screws on ONE SIDE of one tire sheared off, causing the tire to twist on the rim. Something else, with cars this heavy on small tires, we tend to work the side walls harder than most, its possible that one side wall is used up before the other. Just a thought.

Brian Dunnigan

Attached picture 5527323-drags5-30025w.jpg
Posted By: 540dust

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/06/09 01:25 AM

Yes, as said, if it is the roll out it should be pushing left all the way down the track, you'd notice.
Posted By: rook440

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/06/09 01:28 AM

dont forget to check your front shocks too ,also your rear ladders for bind ,run them thru the full range of travel ...
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/06/09 01:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

mickeys are the worst on rollout. you have to measure, you can't go by the #'s on them.

IDK
I just ordered a set of Hoosiers...They list those 32x13 as having 101" roll out:(..The come with a grease pencil marked as 104 1/2:(.
I would string the car if you cant find something worn or bent. Might need to lengthen the driver bar a couple flats to add some preload. I would make sure nothing was bent first..
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/06/09 03:16 AM

I'd also be worried about the guy behind you, looks like he is catching up. Unhook 2 of the spark plug wires on the right side, you too Henry J !!

John, have you gotten it scaled lately ? Pre-loaded right side, like Monte mentioned, will launch you left right away. Shorter left slick as well. Are the Cal tracs tight to the springs ? Could the left side of the axel have shifted to the rear , on the spring ? Or right side forward ?

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/06/09 02:25 PM

A lot of good info here. Thanks to all. I will check the car over and post what I found,

How do I tell if I have a bad rear shock?
& Do rear springs go bad?
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Whats wrong with this pic - 10/06/09 02:34 PM

Before I spent any money I would scale the car,them look for other issues if the weights are acceptable.
© 2024 Moparts Forums