Moparts

What is needed to go from gas to Alky (carbed"

Posted By: Diego_Ted

What is needed to go from gas to Alky (carbed" - 10/04/09 02:02 PM

I like the idea of using the same fuel for both race cars, what is needed to switch to alky from race gas?

Diego
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: What is needed to go from gas to Alky (carbed" - 10/04/09 03:15 PM

Same as your alky car has. Just have to make sure everythings happy with alky

- Alky carb or injection
- Different fuel pump maybe, or just change the seals in your current if it can't take alky. Maybe a bigger pump however if your current one is marginal on gas
- Lines/fittings/seals, all have to be good with alky
- Regulator (alky happy)
- Fuel filter(s) (alky happy)

Fuel cell should probably be ok, but might want to check (yours has a sender in it IIRC).

The nitrous system is another whole deal though. For simplicity since you'd have to change out pricey items and also re-tune it I'd just use gas in the nitrous system and alky for the motor for now then maybe switch once you've sorted out the main fuel delivery system.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: What is needed to go from gas to Alky (carbed" - 10/04/09 03:20 PM

From the research I've been doing this is what I learned.

You need a good pump (alky motors are thirstier than gas), -10 or 5/8's lined prefered. Filter must be stainless not paper. A lean out valve is a good idea to help warm it up. Oh yeah, and the carb.

I haven't yet made the switch just been doing a lot of research.
Posted By: modified1090

Re: What is needed to go from gas to Alky (carbed" - 10/04/09 03:29 PM

i'm running E85 ethanol alcohol and i didn't have to change anything. a friend of mine retunned the carb. thats all. it was only a 30% increase in fuel consumption versus the methanol increase of almost double sometimes more.
Posted By: GORacing

Re: What is needed to go from gas to Alky (carbed" - 10/05/09 09:34 PM

If you do it right, and want the least amount of headaches down the road:
Rupert Carb
Enderle belt driven fuel pump
Vacuum pump (4-vane doesn't work as hard)

I still have my tank in the rear but I by-pass to the bottom of my pump so there is no return line. I get 0 water in the oil. I have no blow-by, and I feel real bad about changing the oil mid season because it looks so good.
© 2024 Moparts Forums