Moparts

Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS)

Posted By: Blakcharger440

Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/02/09 12:03 PM

Pulled the valve covers off to get the lash adjusted on my 512RB engine and noticed that the oil was blackened with a very fine dust. I then noticed that a couple of my rockers were just a little loose according to gap. The rocker assembly is a new Crane Gold Rocker 1.5 shaft kit. When the rocker assembly was pulled I noticed on a couple of the rockers that they were rubbing on the shafts causing a very fine aluminum dust to show up in my oil!
There isnt any damage to the pushrods or anything else that i could see and the rockers are not touching the retainers causing interference there either.
Since I was at a friends shop it was put back together,lash was set hot at .018 Intake/.020 Exhaust per the Hughes cam specs.I drove it home (about 2 miles) and parked it.
I pulled the valve covers and dumped the oil last night along with the filter.

I got on the phone and spoke with Summit about the Crane Gold Rocker set as I didnt even have 100 miles on the engine yet. They gave me almost full credit for the price of the Cranes. I then shelled out some more money and purchased a Harland Sharp 1.5 roller rocker kit.

My cam is a Hughes 579/587 256/260 with Smith brothers push rods and the Cranes were 1.5
I should be able to just install the Harland Sharp 1.5 Rockers and be fine shouldnt it???

As long as the rockers and stuff fit okay with no interference to the retainers?

Is there anything else I should know or any tips before installing the set of Harland Sharp 1.5 rocker shaft kit on my engine?

What should lash be cold if the Hughes cam specs are Hot .018 Intake/ .020 Exhaust????

OR do I really need to seriously think about pulling the engine out,disassembly,cleaning and putting it back together? Which everytime I think about just bums me out.

I would like to hear some input. Thanks guys.
Posted By: moparmattkos

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 01:07 PM

Um idk the exact info for that cam but that seems like a pretty tight lash to me
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 01:38 PM

Quote:

Um idk the exact info for that cam but that seems like a pretty tight lash to me

The lash is correct, my Hughes 260/266 is the same. I set mine .015/.017 cold.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 01:48 PM

If the harland sharps are roller bearing and the cranes weren't you need the hardened rocker shafts,
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 01:51 PM

also if your shafts are on backwards
you wont get oil to the lube them.
cheapst

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 02:28 PM

Quote:

If the harland sharps are roller bearing and the cranes weren't you need the hardened rocker shafts,

I am getting the full Harland Sharp rocker kit which comes with the hardened shafts.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 02:32 PM

Quote:

also if your shafts are on backwards
you wont get oil to the lube them.
cheapst

Yep, that is a good point and this was the first thing that was checked and the shaft oiling holes were pointed in the correct direction as the damage to the inside on some of the rockers prove that the shaft was installed correctly.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 02:35 PM

On the Harland Sharp website it says oil restrictors may be necessary to main oil pressure.

Where do I get these oil restrictors at??? Or if I can make some is it very hard to do?

And how do I know if oil restrictors are needed...if my oil pressure is very low?
Posted By: maxie

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 02:45 PM

this may be a little off the wall, but I will share my stupidity to see if helps out another person.

I ran the crane golds and broke two of the shafts and couldnt figure out why. One broke while I was at the mopar nationals and we pulled the valve cover to see what had happened seen the shaft was broke again. I went and bought a set of harland sharps with all the mounting hardware and so on. Come to find out I was using to long of bolts. The bolts were bottoming out and the shaft wasnt secured inplace, just sort trapped in there.

Put on the harlands and never had it happen again, plus the HP gain.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*! - 10/02/09 02:47 PM

I would think that you used a stock non hardened shaft to ruin the crane rockers, Do you have aluminum heads? That lash setting seems tight ,might be for iron heads, when hot with aluminum heads your lash would open up about .006-7, iron would not. What was you oil pressure before? If it was good ,don't worry about restricting the oil to the heads.

Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*! - 10/02/09 02:52 PM

What are you torque to shafts to..should be 25lb

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*! - 10/02/09 04:02 PM

Quote:

I would think that you used a stock non hardened shaft to ruin the crane rockers, Do you have aluminum heads? That lash setting seems tight ,might be for iron heads, when hot with aluminum heads your lash would open up about .006-7, iron would not. What was you oil pressure before? If it was good ,don't worry about restricting the oil to the heads.

The shafts that I am using came with the Crane Gold Rocker kit.
I have aluminum Stealth heads.
My oil pressure was fine as it was 75 to 85.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*! - 10/02/09 04:11 PM

Quote:

I just spoke to a tech guy at Hughes Engines and he informed me that the lash should be .006 less than when hot for aluminum heads.

So cold mine should be .012 int/.014 ex and to re-check them with the engine hot to see if they are .018/.020 and if not adjust them so that they are.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 04:22 PM

Quote:

this may be a little off the wall, but I will share my stupidity to see if helps out another person.

I ran the crane golds and broke two of the shafts and couldnt figure out why. One broke while I was at the mopar nationals and we pulled the valve cover to see what had happened seen the shaft was broke again. I went and bought a set of harland sharps with all the mounting hardware and so on. Come to find out I was using to long of bolts. The bolts were bottoming out and the shaft wasnt secured inplace, just sort trapped in there.

Put on the harlands and never had it happen again, plus the HP gain.

Unless I'm missing something here I can't see how that is possible unless, like the old ersons, the cranes used a smaller than factory diameter shaft , the ersons came with a spacer that went around the shaft to make it fit properly though ...

just thinking out loud ...

but good thing to make note of and check .
Posted By: Mr71Bee

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 05:10 PM

Been there with you, black aluminum all over the place with new rockers and cam. Did it twice matter of fact cause I figured it was me, not the parts. Shafts shot, rockers shot. Came to the conclusion of not enough oil to the top end. Duh!

Now I assume you oil through the heads.

What I found was that the cam bearing had a misalignment with the oil holes in the block and maybe with the holes in that cam journal. The bottom hole is nice and wide, but the top holes are not. Gives you a misleading idea of how much room for error. it showed lots of oil while priming the oils system but not when running.

I pulled the cam, no damage. Did not want to mess with the cam bearing, so I chamfered the oil hole in the cam journal, increasing the "pulse width" of the oil shot going to the heads and rockers. Problem solved.

Change your oil a bunch o times to get rid of the Al fines.

I have crane golds, Eddie Heads, Hughes 242 solid cam.

Dallas
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 05:11 PM

could there have been day-bree in the shafts? i've not seen it in the cranes, but several other brands i've seen all manor of machining/polishing detritus within the shafts. were they disassembled completely (including end plugs) and cleaned before installation?
Posted By: ademon

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 05:18 PM

good tip by Mr71bee, i had two engines done and both times i had them tweek the cam bearing to open up more of the oil hole. have to double check everything!!

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/02/09 10:25 PM

Quote:

Been there with you, black aluminum all over the place with new rockers and cam. Did it twice matter of fact cause I figured it was me, not the parts. Shafts shot, rockers shot. Came to the conclusion of not enough oil to the top end. Duh!

Now I assume you oil through the heads.

What I found was that the cam bearing had a misalignment with the oil holes in the block and maybe with the holes in that cam journal. The bottom hole is nice and wide, but the top holes are not. Gives you a misleading idea of how much room for error. it showed lots of oil while priming the oils system but not when running.

I pulled the cam, no damage. Did not want to mess with the cam bearing, so I chamfered the oil hole in the cam journal, increasing the "pulse width" of the oil shot going to the heads and rockers. Problem solved.

Change your oil a bunch o times to get rid of the Al fines.

I have crane golds, Eddie Heads, Hughes 242 solid cam.

Dallas

Yes I have Stealth heads on the car. My oil pressure seems to be fine so how would I have not gotten oil to the rocker shafts when pressure seemed OK?

So how do I know and find out if my cam bearings are the cause of my problem. Wouldnt my cam,lifter and pushrods have failed also if they werent getting enough oil?
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/03/09 12:13 AM

Spin the motor till #8 ex valve is fully open , remove bolt from rocker shaft pedestal (pas side) & prime oil pump with a drill , you will know for sure if #4 cam bearing is'nt aligned.

Same goes for drivers side , spin motor till #7 ex valve is fully open (or there abouts) & prime with drill.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/03/09 01:32 PM

Quote:

Spin the motor till #8 ex valve is fully open , remove bolt from rocker shaft pedestal (pas side) & prime oil pump with a drill , you will know for sure if #4 cam bearing is'nt aligned.

Same goes for drivers side , spin motor till #7 ex valve is fully open (or there abouts) & prime with drill.

I'd only loosen that bolt so there is a gap between the bolt and the holddown and not remove it , when you spin the pump a stream of oil will be hitting the hood and covering the engine compartment.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/03/09 02:19 PM

I have found all kinda funky things with Mopar shaft systems in my small block from oil holes not drilled thru or filings left in the shafts, rocker geometry off not allowing oil holes to line up, I always crank the engine on the starter with the plugs out and check for oil @ all rocker locations before starting the engine,If you have oil everywhere on the starter you should be good running the engine

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/03/09 03:30 PM

Blakchager, before tearing down the engine you should be looking for easy to fix oil starvation issues such as the lines leading into the heads, rocker shaft oil location facing the exhaust etc. What I found on mine may not be what is effecting your engine.

As for other parts failing due to oil issues on the top of the motor: the cam and lifters are not effected as much of their lube is spashed from below of from the lifter area. The upper end of the push rod would fail with no oil if you run it long enough. Better check and see.

On our big blocks that oil through the heads, the supply to the top end is not continuous. It is directed to the rocker shaft through the #4 cam bearing and cam journal. When the hole in the bearings and cam journal align, it sends a "pulse" of oil to the top end.

The amount of oil depends on a number of factors such as pressure, viscosity, RPMs (effects the length of time of the pulse), restrictions in the system, etc. In my case, I believe that the misaligments were effecting the restriction thus starving the rockers.

At zero RPMs (oil priming) there was plenty of oil because the hole is exposed to full pressure full time. Restrictions count for less.

I could see it looking into the valve covers. There was very little oil coming out the rockers when the motor was running,but there was plenty of oil to the top end with the motor not running.

My cam bearing was slotted at the bottom, but were round on the outlets to the heads. It was not aligned well. I had full openeing at the bottm slot but the way the bearing was in there, the outlets were about 30 % blocked. (I used a mirror to check that out)

I also measured the placement of the cam journal holes, and they seemed to be a bit off when I compared it to the previous cam that was in the car. My measures were not that precise, and it does not seem likely that a new cam would have that as an issue?

I increased the pulse width by opening up the hole through the journal using a dremel tool. I champhered and blended all 3 holes it to a depth of about 1/8 + inch and to about twice as wide as stock. This made the entrance oval shaped. I did not change the width in both directions, only along the axis of rotation. The original oil hole remained in the center of the oval.

Things are working well now. I see plenty of oil up on top. Does this over oil the top end? Maybe. Does it matter much for a street/strip machine? Not too much. Was it an easy fix? Compared to getting that cam bearing realigned, yes.

The fact that this is a new engine and that it oil primed well would make me suspect your alignment of the bearings or cam journal hole placement. You have to pull the cam to see it. While it is out, you should look to see if there is damage on the lobes and lifters due to the aluminum in the oil.

good luck.....

Dallas

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/03/09 03:58 PM

Another thought is cams with a oil groove cut in the journal, this allows full time oiling to the rockers rather than pulse, We use the grooved cams and have to restrict oil to the rockers
Posted By: b1headman

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/04/09 04:04 AM

In converting from the cranes to the sharp rockers you may need to get a longer pushrod as the screw location is higher in the sharp rocker.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/04/09 02:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'd only loosen that bolt so there is a gap between the bolt and the holddown and not remove it , when you spin the pump a stream of oil will be hitting the hood and covering the engine compartment.

If the garage roof is high enough you can catch it on the way down.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#& (PICS) - 10/04/09 04:25 PM

This is the top portion of the rocker shaft.

This is the bottom part of the shaft.

Pic of the damage to inside bottom of the rocker arm.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/04/09 10:43 PM

Quote:

Here is a dumb question. Why cant I just spin the motor using a remote starter with the bolt from the rocker shaft removed to see if #7 or #8 is getting oil?

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 12:17 AM

Your wear patterns looked like my wear patterns... Bad news for your engine. It looks like you have insufficient oil to your shafts and your rockers and shafts are scrap. You can probably feel little grooves in them when you thrust that rocker on the shaft.

Before putting her back together, take a look at the oil passage coming up from the block and be sure it looks open. Maybe you have some flash in it that is causing a restriction.

Want to check for flow? Assemble the rockers, but leave all the bolts in. Remove spark plugs. Prime the oil system and fill the rocker shafts. Install the distributor. Spin the motor and get oil pressure. Look for oil squirtin out the tips and sides of the rockers on cyl 1 or 2. The amount should be quite a bit. If its only a dribble, then you might not have enough oil volume.

Was this motor recently rebuilt?

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 12:40 AM

Quote:

Your wear patterns looked like my wear patterns... Bad news for your engine. It looks like you have insufficient oil to your shafts and your rockers and shafts are scrap. You can probably feel little grooves in them when you thrust that rocker on the shaft.

Before putting her back together, take a look at the oil passage coming up from the block and be sure it looks open. Maybe you have some flash in it that is causing a restriction.

Want to check for flow? Assemble the rockers, but leave all the bolts in. Remove spark plugs. Prime the oil system and fill the rocker shafts. Install the distributor. Spin the motor and get oil pressure. Look for oil squirtin out the tips and sides of the rockers on cyl 1 or 2. The amount should be quite a bit. If its only a dribble, then you might not have enough oil volume.

Was this motor recently rebuilt?

This is a dumb question but why do i need to pull the distributor for? Shouldnt I just need to remove the spark plugs and then crank the engine over with a remote start and look for oil at the rockers?
I am no pro engine builder but just wanting to learn more.

I doubt that I even have 100 miles on this engine.
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 12:55 AM

Just a couple of questions,
#1 does the motor have head studs? If so im sure the the stud itself is to big(1/2") and cutting off oil flow to the rockers..DAMHIK..the stock bolt is under cut to give room for the oil to pass and get oil to the rockers. Running the stud cut oil flow almost 80% over the stock bolt.
#2 Did you have the shafts on the right way, there is a front and a rear for the oil holes to line up...
#3 Are the effected rockers from the front or rear of the motor?
#4 Nice looking place you got there

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 01:25 AM

Phill has a good tip for making sure the oil can get to the shaft.

You can do this without priming, it just much more cranking.

Have someone check that oil pressure as you spin the motor. Removing plugs eases the load on the starter so you dont burn it up and add to your problems.

I was suggesting you re-prime the system after reassembly. Pull the distributor, rotate to the correct points (someone indicated it in this thread already) and pump away. That ensures you start with the shafts full. An extra step maybe but it eliminates a variable.

Pop the distributor back in (make sure its in the correct direction) and spin the motor. You should be able to see oil out those rockers pretty quick.

BTW, my rockers lasted about 100 miles with the oil issue I had.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 01:44 PM

Quote:

#1 does the motor have head studs? If so im sure the the stud itself is to big(1/2") and cutting off oil flow to the rockers..DAMHIK..the stock bolt is under cut to give room for the oil to pass and get oil to the rockers. Running the stud cut oil flow almost 80% over the stock bolt.
#2 Did you have the shafts on the right way, there is a front and a rear for the oil holes to line up...

1) No head studs

2) I didnt know there was a front and rear....I just thought that the rocker shaft oil holes should be facing down toward the head?

3) All the rockers on the driver side head had some damage ( I havent pulled the passenger side yet).

4)Thanks been in the new house for just over a year.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 01:47 PM

Is there supposed to be a front to rear aligment of the rocker shaft oil holes?

I had my rocker shaft oil holes facing down toward the head.....but I didnt know there was a front to back alignment also???
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 01:56 PM

i didn't read the entire thread so maybe i'm not giving the best reply. that said i groove the cam in any BB engine that oils in a stock fashion. just don't care for the stock pulsed setup. the size orifice installed is usually .060" and often done with a drilled setscrew in the heads or block. this probably doesn't help much given the engine is assembled but imho it's pretty much necessary on all plain bearing rockers and a good idea with any type.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 02:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1) No head studs

2) I didnt know there was a front and rear....I just thought that the rocker shaft oil holes should be facing down toward the head?

3) All the rockers on the driver side head had some damage ( I havent pulled the passenger side yet).

I think he was talking about rocker studs since the oil passage does not intersect a head bolt hole . you have bolts from the pic above , no issue there .

You have alot of open spring pressure for an unbushed rocker , but you need to confirm oil flow . I wouldn't do it bumping over the engine though , pull the dist. and run the pump by hand , be prepared for a mess .

Me , I would take an old junk steel cover , cut off the top , put the rocker shaft and rockers back on and see how much oil oozes out of the assembly once you get the cam in the right spot for the hit or miss oiling , using this method you could do it with the starter , deactivate the coil .
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/05/09 03:24 PM

I`m no expert but two things come to mind here.....1, those springs bet, the rockers bleed off too much oil and 2,HOPEFULLY your adjuster`s not showing that many threads below the rocker in that last photo.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 03:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1) No head studs

I think he was talking about rocker studs since the oil passage does not intersect a head bolt hole . you have bolts from the pic above , no issue there .

You have alot of open spring pressure for an unbushed rocker , but you need to confirm oil flow . I wouldn't do it bumping over the engine though , pull the dist. and run the pump by hand , be prepared for a mess .

Me , I would take an old junk steel cover , cut off the top , put the rocker shaft and rockers back on and see how much oil oozes out of the assembly once you get the cam in the right spot for the hit or miss oiling , using this method you could do it with the starter , deactivate the coil .

Hey John, Maybe you can school me on something here.
I keep hearing about the hit an miss oiling to the rockers? THe rocker shaft and rockers are fed oil from the oil galley which runs up from the lifter valley correct? Well those galleys in the lifter area lead directly back to the oil pump...Now how is that hit and miss when the pump is running and forcing oil through the lifter galleys up to the heads,rockers and lifters?
Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 03:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1) No head studs

I keep hearing about the hit an miss oiling to the rockers? THe rocker shaft and rockers are fed oil from the oil galley which runs up from the lifter valley correct? Well those galleys in the lifter area lead directly back to the oil pump...Now how is that hit and miss when the pump is running and forcing oil through the lifter galleys up to the heads,rockers and lifters?

The oil for the rockers is coming from the #4 cam bearing. If the bearing hole isn't lined up with the galley or the feeds from the cam to the heads have a restriction of some kind then your oiling could be compromised.
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 04:03 PM

You're better off with different rockers anyway. The crane golds should be renamed crane coppers or something of much less value... Yes, I do make myself laugh at times...

I much prefer the T&D rockers, but the Harlands are ok. And before anyone says, "But the T&D's are sooo expensive!!", that's partially true, but if he had bought them, he'd be driving his car instead of wondering what went wrong with the rocker arms. It's worth a lot to me to be able to set it and forget it.

I also agree with the statement that I hope you weren't running those rockers with the adjuster showing that many threads. About 2 is all you want or it changes all the geometry and can also load that adjuster badly and possibly break it off.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 04:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1) No head studs

The oil for the rockers is coming from the #4 cam bearing. If the bearing hole isn't lined up with the galley or the feeds from the cam to the heads have a restriction of some kind then your oiling could be compromised.

How are the other cam bearings being fed oil?

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/05/09 04:49 PM

Quote:

I`m no expert but two things come to mind here.....1, those springs bet, the rockers bleed off too much oil and 2,HOPEFULLY your adjuster`s not showing that many threads below the rocker in that last photo.

All my adjusters have that many threads showing below the rocker.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/05/09 04:57 PM

Not good.........not that it has anything to do w/the galled shafts but, it`s just one more thing that`s wrong w/the whole issues you`re having.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/05/09 05:20 PM

Quote:

Not good.........not that it has anything to do w/the galled shafts but, it`s just one more thing that`s wrong w/the whole issues you`re having.

Good eye Dom..
He's right BTW, those pushrods look to be about to short.. A set of lash caps might be the cheapest way to go, if geometery check out.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/05/09 05:37 PM

Great....how should the rocker/pushrod geometry look like? Here is a pic of the head and rockers installed.

Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/05/09 06:38 PM

Do not restrict the oil flow for aluminum on steel rocker systems. Period.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 07:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

1) No head studs

Hey, I am getting ready to test and see if I have enought oil getting to the rockers. I have a set of old steel rocker covers that I can cut the top off. How high should I leave the sides so that oil doesnt climb out and get all over the place?
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/05/09 09:03 PM

Quote:

How are the other cam bearings being fed oil?

Wow ... you're this deep into playing with a motor and you don't know how the oil system works!?! I think you're the root of all your problems. Start seeking advice BEFORE you spend money on the parts. I'm not trying to insult you, I'm speaking from experience!

Rockers are toast and the pushrods are too short. My guess is your problems won't end there.

The next $25 you spend should be on Andy Finkbeiner's book. Leave the motor alone until you've read it. It will give you much more insight into the problems you're having and how to resolve them. I'm guessing that you will quite likely get your rocker issues resolved on this thread but will only run into more problems elsewhere. Get the book, read it and hopefully it'll help identify other problem areas (if any) before you fire the thing up again.

As for the valve covers, leave as much of the sides as you can.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 09:08 PM

Cut the top off the VC leaving a 1" lip all the way round.

It can be a real PITA trying to get the motor in the right spot when checking for oil flow through the rocker assbly , trying to hold the drill in one hand (trying not to damage intermediate bush)& turning the motor with a bar in the other hand , which is the reason why it is helpful to know the position of cam in relation to cam bearing whilst oil priming , @ least with the bolt remoived you will know for sure if you have good oil flow to those shafts , just peice of mind.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 09:35 PM

From the looks of things, lash caps would help or longer push rods

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/05/09 10:00 PM

Quote:

From the looks of things, lash caps would help or longer push rods

No , not lash caps, his pushrods are too short.

Black , the oil from the oilpump goes to the up to the galley on the pass side of the engine , this galley has passages that feed each main bearing saddle to feed the crank and rods , from the main saddle there are passages that go to all the cam bearings , the #4 cam bearing has 3 holes , one on the bottom and 1 that goes to each head passage. The #4 cam journal has 3 holes in it and a Y shaped passage inside it, the holes are 120 degrees apart, as the cam rotates the passages line up and depending on where it's pointing it sends oil to one head or the other. hemi's have a groove in the #4 journal and I think the Y passage since they have 2 rocker shafts on each head and need more oil up top to fill them. Some people (as jamesc said) will groove the #4 journal and add restrictors so there is a fulltime oil supply to the rockers , bit not too much.

When you modify the BB oil system to increase flow to the CRANK it's said to restrict oil flow to all the cam journals except # 4 and the reason is because of the oil supply to the heads .

Stanton wouldn't it have been easier to answer the guys question instead of calling him a dolt ?

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/05/09 10:03 PM

Quote:

Great....how should the rocker/pushrod geometry look like? Here is a pic of the head and rockers installed.

You should have 2, no more than 3, threads of the adjuster showing under the rocker body
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/05/09 10:06 PM

Quote:

Do not restrict the oil flow for aluminum on steel rocker systems. Period.

Mike i know you're one of the more experienced members here and i'm not arguing the point but from my experience when you groove the cam you do need to control the oil. i was told by a very experienced builder to use .060" orifices but thought i knew better and used .080". well the .080" just put too much oil up top and i ended up going with the .060". this was on b1 originals with the dove rockers. i guess there are a lot of variables but this was my experience. i certainly wouldn't even think about restricting the oil with the stock hit and miss system but in my case with a grooved cam restrictions were necessary. there's no doubt any rocker without bearings will fail if it doesn't get plenty of oil. i wouldn't try to run any of these rockers without full time oiling either by grooving the cam, bearing or external feeds like the indys.

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*!!!! - 10/06/09 01:05 AM

Blak... you have a PM.

Dallas
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/06/09 01:54 AM

Quote:

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm speaking from experience!

Johnhaha ... where in this or any other part of my reply do you see the word "dolt" ?
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/06/09 02:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Johnhaha ... where in this or any other part of my reply do you see the word "dolt" ?

Stanton, You didnt use the word "Dolt"

But you did State"

"WOW... you're this deep into playing with a motor and you don't know how the oil system works!?!

I think you're the root of all your problems."

Thats pretty harsh IMO. You could of more easily and nicely answered the question like Johnhaha did instead of just stomping and pounding on the guy.

The energy/text spent would of been the same. One positive vs one negative.

mike
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*! - 10/06/09 02:30 AM

Hello,

you said.

The oil holes should be down AND pointed towards the exhaust manifold.

Damon
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$^.%(*! - 10/06/09 02:40 AM

Quote:

Hello,

you said.

The oil holes should be down AND pointed towards the exhaust manifold.

Damon

You are Correct Damon

From the pics it appears the shafts were installed correctly. As the wear marks are at the oil holes where the highest friction points would be.

To me it looks like a oil starvation issue on the rocker shaft galling.

The to short of pushrod is another issue that also needs addressed. mike

Re: Went to adjust lash & Crane Gold rockers !#&$ ( PICS) - 10/06/09 12:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Stanton, You didn't use the word "Dolt"

But you did State"

"WOW... you're this deep into playing with a motor and you don't know how the oil system works!?!

I think you're the root of all your problems."

That's pretty harsh IMO. You could of more easily and nicely answered the question like Johnhaha did instead of just stomping and pounding on the guy.

The energy/text spent would of been the same. One positive vs one negative.

mike

Good to see I'm not the only one that noticed it ...
© 2024 Moparts Forums