Moparts

Very beginnings of my W5 build...

Posted By: HerboldRacing

Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/26/09 04:11 AM

Just for giggles I introduced my W5 heads to the block it may be riding on. Block is going to the shop tomorrow to get a health checkup. Block came out of a California 1969 Dart GTS 340. Heads are "brand new" never used late castings. They are going to RyanJ at SDSS as soon as I scrounge the ~$5k its going to cost me for the head and intake parts and work.

[image]http://gallery.herbold-family.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=13703[/image]

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/26/09 04:14 AM

Hmm - why is my image not working???
Posted By: j.mcconnell

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/26/09 04:17 AM

don't know why it doesnt work but w5's look great

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/26/09 04:30 AM

Ok that way worked. I guess this site doesn't like pulling images from my database. Boo. :-(
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/26/09 01:48 PM

Having the heads hand ported? or the CNC job? We did the CNC on a group deal a few years ago and my dad was a bit surprised at how his small block runs to say the least.

Attached picture 5506908-3362495-000_5552.jpg
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/26/09 01:50 PM

...believe ours were the "dirty" ones in the upper left corner. You'll like Ryans work Did you figure out what rockers you were going to use?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/26/09 01:55 PM

Cut some oil drain slots in the spring pockets...
those W-5s are bad for drain back
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/26/09 03:34 PM

You may want to ask Ryan about oil drain back lines from the head rails to the pan also , W5s like to hold a lot of oil up top, we ran 2 lines from each head back to the pan and it helped alot

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/26/09 06:10 PM

Quote:

Did you figure out what rockers you were going to use?

I have not decided yet. Any suggestions?

I was going to have Ryan do the CNC job but then figured I might as well spring for the extra $250 for the hand job.

I have not decided on the combo yet. I do know I want to make at least 600 hp. I'm open to all suggestions.

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/26/09 06:12 PM

Anybody in my area (Arizona) have an extra 340 block? Looks like my block has a crack and may not be usable. *cry*

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/26/09 06:26 PM

Quote:

Anybody in my area (Arizona) have an extra 340 block? Looks like my block has a crack and may not be usable. *cry*

If its cracked in a cylinder wall and thats the only
problem just have it sleeved..... 600HP should be easy

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/28/09 10:23 PM

The crack is in the picture below right between the two black marker lines - from the bottom of the oil hole to the south edge. Is this fixable? Should I look for another 340 block for my W5 build?

Posted By: scottb

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/28/09 11:37 PM

I would look for a X block or R block to start a new motor with .Talk to Ryan he might know of one thats for sale

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/28/09 11:45 PM

Quote:

The crack is in the picture below right between the two black marker lines - from the bottom of the oil hole to the south edge. Is this fixable? Should I look for another 340 block for my W5 build?

Since its cracked in the mains.... its new block time
Posted By: b1596

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/29/09 12:06 AM

How about an R1 ? I Have one fully machined with lifter bores bushed , ready to go at Ryans. P M if your interested
Posted By: scottb

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/29/09 12:23 AM

Quote:

How about an R1 ? I Have one fully machined with lifter bores bushed , ready to go at Ryans. P M if your interested

Theres the block you need
Posted By: LA360

Re: Very beginnings of my W5 build... - 09/29/09 02:59 AM

I wouldn't waste a set of W5's on a factory block, you'll regret it in time when the block has enough. Save your for an aftermarket block if you can, you'll be better off in the long run. The money you'll waste trying to find a good 340 will pay for an aftermarket block.
AL....
© 2024 Moparts Forums