Moparts

valve spring tool

Posted By: Stroker Scamp

valve spring tool - 09/25/09 03:48 AM

looking to take some springs out to check them out,, the heads are on the car, whats a good way to do this with out having to buy expensive tools, im guessing i can fill the cyl with compressed air so the valves dont drop, walk me thru the rest, thanks mike
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 03:59 AM

Pull rockers, and plugs, Fill cylinder with air, Use valve spring compressor to compress springs and pull the keepers without dropping them. Pretty straight forward but is kind of a pain on the car with a cheap compressor tool like the ones sold at schucks or napa or whatever.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 04:05 AM

If you don't want to spend $$$$$ and your using standard shaft rockers. Get the typical chevy style lever spring compressor. A little grinding and an maybe an extention(if you have a roller valve spring),I use and old stock shaft and a pair of studs in the heads to hold the shaft. It's really easy.

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 04:12 AM

Quote:

Pull rockers, and plugs, Fill cylinder with air, Use valve spring compressor to compress springs and pull the keepers without dropping them. Pretty straight forward but is kind of a pain on the car with a cheap compressor tool like the ones sold at schucks or napa or whatever.

got that thanks, will one of those cheapy tools compress a roller spring i believe the spring are comp 944's Mabey 943's build sheet says 260 lbs??
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 04:12 AM

Quote:

If you don't want to spend $$$$$ and your using standard shaft rockers. Get the typical chevy style lever spring compressor. A little grinding and an maybe an extention(if you have a roller valve spring),I use and old stock shaft and a pair of studs in the heads to hold the shaft. It's really easy.

Definitely do this. Big lever would have made it much easier
Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 04:54 AM

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/en2pivaspto.html

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 05:54 AM

thanks guys, mike
Posted By: NENE

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 06:33 AM

In my own experience, it's much more safer to use a 1/4" string to fill the cylinder and to compress it on the valves with the piston prior to remove springs. It can't move, or let the valve go down in the cylinder as the compressed air can do !
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 12:45 PM

Quote:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/en2pivaspto.html

This spring compressor looks like the one TD makes
and is a nice piece.... I have to pull 4 springs on
my W-9 just to get the heads off and my springs have
320# on seat so I needed a nice one with good leverage
Posted By: sleepyhead416

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 01:10 PM

Quote:

Thats what I made....
Posted By: chris3

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 01:23 PM

Place towels to fill oil return holes. Dropping a keeper and not finding it is a problem. I have used the air method and a tool similar to the one Mancini sells. I can say I have learned something here today I have thought about every time I have put a spring compressor on a valve held up by air and the piston at the bottom of the stroke. I would like to here more about puttin the string in the cylinder to support the valves.
Posted By: tigger1

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 01:44 PM

I made my lever type spring tool. I cut two stock stamped rockers in half and welded two pieces back together with the tips angled out. This lets the tips contact the outter edge of the retainers and it does not matter if you have doulble springs. I then welded a handle to these and use an old rocker shaft. It did not take long and was very cheap.
Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 01:52 PM

Quote:

Place towels to fill oil return holes. Dropping a keeper and not finding it is a problem. I have used the air method and a tool similar to the one Mancini sells. I can say I have learned something here today I have thought about every time I have put a spring compressor on a valve held up by air and the piston at the bottom of the stroke. I would like to here more about puttin the string in the cylinder to support the valves.

The rope works great. Just make sure the piston is down, then thread a bunch of rope through the sparkplug hole into the cylinder. Then gently turn the motor over by hand until the rope hits the valves/head and locks the engine up. The rope keeps the valves up, just roll the engine back and remove the rope when you're done.
Posted By: 77DragracerR/T

Re: valve spring tool - 09/25/09 02:04 PM

After you pull the rockers off,take a 1" socket and hammer and tap the the retainers to free the keepers from sticking.Not a overly hard hit as you just need them to be free when you compress the spring and not pop the keepers out when press down with the tool.That tool looks like something i need to add to my list.
© 2024 Moparts Forums