Moparts

Mopar Missile Photos

Posted By: Anonymous

Mopar Missile Photos - 09/30/06 10:00 PM

Stand by, tomorrow, Sunday, a new site that has over 250 photos of the Mopar Missile, will open.
Posted By: 70Dustmite440

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 09/30/06 11:52 PM

Posted By: Hemi_Jack

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 09/30/06 11:57 PM

Posted By: PHJ426

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 12:05 AM

I wanna check that out!!!

The Missle Rocks

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 12:07 AM

As soon as I get my old guy body up tomorrow morning I will start another topic and list the website address --- Some of my photos, are included -- great stuff and most never seen before .
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 12:07 AM

what was this...just a tease....Saturday night and here we are with no new pictures....tease....lol
Posted By: crc

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 12:09 AM

Looking forward to them Stewart!

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 12:31 AM

Aero tests - comic relief - Missile people then and now - yellow car - wire car -
Just about most of my photos of the Missile

Now if you have some and you want to include them or have them scanned to disc, let me know, as I do that for FREE !!!!
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 12:32 AM

Can't wait!!

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 12:42 AM

WHOOPS -- I made a mistake,
it appears that there are over 375 photos --- and I NEED MORE
Posted By: 383man

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 02:12 AM

Hurry up. Ron
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 02:45 AM

Posted By: 67valiant340

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 11:34 AM

Quote:

WHOOPS -- I made a mistake,
it appears that there are over 375 photos --- and I NEED MORE

Where are the pictures????

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 11:35 AM

Barry and Mike from Hamtramck Registry have opened a new photo section. The majority of these photos are never seen before photos of the Mopar Missile. You all are cordially invited to stop in and take a look. Missile Historical photos are my passion, if you have any, let me know. I will scan them to a disc and return the disc and photo to you, FREE. All I require is that I be allowed to put them on the photo section and share them with the rest of the Mopar Fanatics.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/vintageRacing/missile/Missile.shtml

Stewart
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 02:33 PM

Thank you so much Stewart, those pic's are awesome. Leigh

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/01/06 11:56 PM

Having a real fondness for the "Missiles" myself, this is awesome. Speaking with you and Dick Oldfield at length at Elkton was a real treat.

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 02:08 AM

I have said this before, there are two kinds of people involved with the History of Chrysler Drag Racing, the $$$$people and my type of people. For me, it is not about the $$$ it is about the history. I do this because of a passion for the History. I scan and burn to disc, for free, all types of Chrysler early Drag Racing photos. NO CHARGE - and I give away or share all the photos I have. I also have friendships, with alot of the "famous" people, for which I am very thankful.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 02:10 AM

Your work and efforts are appreciated Stewart.Those pics are awesome!!A lot of history there for sure.

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 02:56 AM

That is a cool site thanks for the link.

What is the scoop on the Bauman Whale Charger?

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 02:59 AM

John Bauman was the carb genius, and he tested alot of his basic ideas on his Charger. Unfortunately, John died of heart disease about 25 years ago. A brilliant and funny person.
Posted By: topside

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 03:16 AM

Fantastic site! Thanks for what had to be a lot of effort! I love this kind of stuff; I own the ex-Ed Hamburger SS/IA Duster, and there are a lot of clever things that were done even to a lowly Super Stocker.
I seem to recall that years ago the Wire Car had been found & offered for sale; where is it now? I've seen several photos of it, and it was fascinating.
It's a true loss to the sport that Don Carlton isn't around to interview.
Posted By: SuperStocker

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 03:21 AM

Awesome site! Thanks for keeping IT alive. Would you know how much money was spent in building the "wire car"? How long did it take the crew to build? And I'll ask again, were is it now? It should be restored and sitting in a museum.
Posted By: Hemi_Jack

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 03:33 AM

Stewart, I really liked the story about you racing the Colt. Man, those were the days!

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 03:42 AM

What does the "Wire Car" mean?

What technology was used that made it the Wire Car?

Just wondering I have heard the name but never knew the tech that made it so

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 01:17 PM

The "Wire Car" was called that because the rear of the body was held up with wires -Look at the photos in the Wire car section and you will notice the thin lines running next to the rear bars. It was probably the most expensive ProStock car built at that time, I have heard numbers in the 250K range, that includes material, man hours, research and development costs etc. It weighed about 1880 ready to go. Pappas and Oldfield could pick the car up, less motor and trans, but with all the other suspension pieces and carry it around. It never ran, as Don Carlton was killed before it got finished. I believe it has been restored, but do not know where it is. There were numerous magazine articles about it in years past.

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 01:24 PM

Ray -- "sixpackgut"

Where did you get that Missile challenger photo?

Thanks
Stewart

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 02:43 PM

When I was compiling the photos for the "Missile" section, I asked some people to review the section for errors. I then received a disrespectful email from someone claiming some of the photos belonged to them, and by my including them in the "Missile" section, they would have to change their format for the new magazine they were preparing. This was my response. As you all know, this is my passion, not my money making scheme.

--------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr XYZ

Thank you.You have helped me realize that there are two types of people involved with this hobby. Those that contribute their time, energy, and money with NO expectations of any monetary benefits, and those that use the hobby to enhance themselves, their ego's and make money. I am of the group that totally contributes. I do not sell photos, create magazines, recreate and label bogus cars, nor write articles that are so full of errors that they are a joke. Since I have been involved with this hobby, I have given away, and share for free, any and all of the photos or items I have acquired. I am fortunate that I know a lot of the "famous" people from the olden days, and through those friendships I have gathered a great many unseen photos. I share those freely with all that are interested. I scan and burn to disc, numerous photos that are sent to me, by people wanting to share and preserve these historical photos, and I do that for free. These are not my photos, nor my cars, nor my things. These are historical items that belong to all the people that appreciate Chrysler Drag Racing history.
Therefore, your unwarranted attack on me, and the threats you made are totally unjustified and extremely disrespectful of me. You could have sent me a simple e-mail, telling me that you were going to use the Koffel construction photos in your new magazine, but you choose not to do that. Yes, you did send me the Koffel photos, and you told me they came from Koffel in a round about way. Before I placed them on the Hamtramck site, I contacted Suzie Koffel directly, and got her permission to use them in this non commercial venture. After your very abusive e-mail, I had those photos removed immediately and they will not go back up. Not because I feared you, and your petty tirade, but because they did come from you and I wanted to respect that. If I had known that you had indirect permission to use them, and were planning to use them in your new venture, I would have never used them.
At one time, I considered you a friend. But now, I realize that you are aligned with the new class of "collectors," the money restorers, that do not restore to the original representations of these cars, the magazine writers that make numerous errors, and the dumb schmucks that pay outrageous amounts to stroke their ego by being able to say "I own the XYZ car."
Good luck, and now we truly part ways with my complete understanding of who and what you and your compatriots truly are, and what really motivates you.

Stewart

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 03:46 PM

So on the wire car there was no frame rails so to say in the rear of the car and the rear axle kinda floated out there somehow?

Pretty wild stuff I see the wires running along the rear bars in the back window shot.

I would like to see the engineering drawings on that car
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 03:54 PM

AWSOME!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 03:54 PM

There were no bars past the rear end --- the body was held up with the wires. The rear was standard chassis stuff. Also, extensive use of titanium and magnesium. Most of the interior was magnesium. The rear end was a RamCharger Magnesium unit, with titanium tubes and brackets - also the drive shaft was titanium.
Posted By: max

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 05:53 PM

Stewart, thanks for putting that togeather and for a job well done

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/02/06 07:22 PM

+1

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/10/06 11:58 PM

We keep updating photos in the section - take a look often
Stewart
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/vintageRacing/missile/Missile.shtml
Posted By: RV2

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/11/06 12:39 AM

It's a shame the Missile cuda is in that rough of shape, how old are those pics? any plans to restore it?
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/11/06 01:04 AM

Awesome Site....!!!!!! I have fond memories of the missle competing at New England Dragway...!!!

Thanks for the memories....!!!!!

Rickster
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/11/06 01:08 AM

stewart, that missile picture was emailed to me by a friend. i assume it came from a magazine. i could find out but havent talked to him in awhile.

you know i love the missile and want to thank you publicly for all the photos you shared with me.

ray
Posted By: BigEdsGarage

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/11/06 03:44 PM

Stewart, Thanks for all your efforts and your generousity in sharing this with everyone. It sure is nice to see guys like yourself willing to dedicate their time and effort out of a true passion. But I guess thats what a "real" car guy does huh?
I'm sure that everyone who checks out the pics is thinking of how cool those cars were and appreciates the chance to see them.
Great site and thanks again!

Hmmm, some black paint, yellow and orange stripes, get me a snorkel scoop and some old Fentons.....
Posted By: Ramcharger

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/11/06 04:51 PM

Quote:

Stewart, Thanks for all your efforts and your generousity in sharing this with everyone. It sure is nice to see guys like yourself willing to dedicate their time and effort out of a true passion. But I guess thats what a "real" car guy does huh?
I'm sure that everyone who checks out the pics is thinking of how cool those cars were and appreciates the chance to see them.
Great site and thanks again!

Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/11/06 04:52 PM

Quote:

It's a shame the Missile cuda is in that rough of shape, how old are those pics? any plans to restore it?

That car needs to be restored to it's former glory. Kind of a shame, but yet, at least it still exists...

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/11/06 06:36 PM

Missile in the snow explanation

Attached picture 2983953-Untitled-1copy.jpg
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/11/06 06:41 PM

Quote:

Missile in the snow explanation

If he sold the car, he might not have to work 2 jobs just to feed his family.

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/11/06 06:43 PM

Barry and Mike from Hamtramck Registry, are the guys that really make this happen. They donate their time and labor to maintain and improve their site, and have graciously allowed me to share my photos. Actually, they are not "MY" photos - they came from Oldfield - Pappas - Christie - Koffel - etc. They are HISTORY, not some money making adventure. I am the "Unoffical Historian, Curator" of these types of Missile photos. They belong to all that appreciate the time, effort, and hard work involved with that part of Chrysler Drag Racing History. If you find any or know of any other Missile Photos, Please contact me.

Stewart
Posted By: 1KoolBee

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/06/17 04:42 AM

Way cool, Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Mopar Missile Photos - 10/06/17 09:08 PM

Great Site and info Anonymous. Thank you for your efforts.

I'm being bias here but hopefully some photos and or stories will surface about the efforts at the really, really skunkworks shop of Apollo/Trick Titanium and their contributions to all of these cars back when they were in Troy Michigan.
I've worked with them on a very limited scale with my own inventions back in the 90's.
© 2024 Moparts Forums