Moparts

throttle cable problem? EDIT: PICS ADDED

Posted By: juicedcuda

throttle cable problem? EDIT: PICS ADDED - 09/18/09 01:53 AM

Posted a while ago about my stock e-body throttle cable being too short now that my motor is taller, etc. I was told to just order a longer one off the list in the tech pages. I got the longer one and it fits perfect but this cable has a lot less travel than the old one. The car cant get full throttle now. I am using the jegs billet 4500 mopar throttle bracket, so a lokar cable wont work. What should I do?

Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 09/18/09 02:13 AM

Re: throttle cable problem? - 09/18/09 02:20 AM

Quote:

TRIM THE CABLE SLEEVE IF IT'S HITTING THE END

When you say trim the cable sleeve, what exactly are you referring to? It seems all the ends are pressed/molded on.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: throttle cable problem? - 09/18/09 02:59 AM

The black plastic, measure how much cable was showing on the old one and trim the new one to the same amount.

Posted By: bigdad

Re: throttle cable problem? - 09/18/09 03:03 AM

I have the same basic issue , I've tried about 15 things to make it go to WOT

I'm going to make linkage I think

it only goes about 3/4 the way maybe ..

Re: throttle cable problem? - 09/18/09 11:52 AM

I only get like 1/4 travel. I don't see how trimming the black could help bc all the metal ends are pressed on.

Post deleted by Defbob - 09/18/09 11:58 AM

Posted By: therocks

Re: throttle cable problem? - 09/18/09 12:20 PM

I used a /6 cable from a 73 Dart we scrapped on my 65.It has M1 and Dominator.Had to rework the pedal end as they are different and as Fred said I trimmed the outer shell a bit.All you have to do is cut a bit off where the cable itself pulls over the part thats in the clamp.It dosent caome apart.Then after its trimmed I just cut that piece off with some good diag pliers.Kind of hard to explain but easy to do.
Rocky

Re: throttle cable problem? - 09/18/09 06:24 PM

updated with pictures.

Post deleted by Defbob - 09/18/09 06:45 PM

Re: throttle cable problem? - 09/18/09 06:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

updated with pictures.

Too small to see but it looks like you can trim the sleeve to allow more travel of the section that moves

sorry, all I had available was my phone.

Post deleted by Defbob - 09/18/09 06:53 PM

Posted By: RodStRace

Re: throttle cable problem? - 09/18/09 07:01 PM

You can extend the travel of the pedal if it's a small difference.
You can shorten the outer sheath of the cable to allow more throw.
You can move the point where the cable attaches to the carb closer to the center to shorten the needed throw. See poor drawing...

Attached picture 5490514-link.JPG
Posted By: Blue71

Re: throttle cable problem? - 09/18/09 07:04 PM

Hi
Had the same problem with a new cable.Had to do what is being said.I used a small pipe cutter and cut about 1" off the metal sleeve then carefully ground the side of the cut piece enough to pass the cable through.
Ken
Posted By: AndyF

Re: throttle cable problem? EDIT: PICS ADDED - 09/18/09 07:35 PM

The amount of travel depends on which hole in the carb linkage that the cable goes to. The closer to the pivot shaft the less the cable travel has to be. (but the higher the effort) Also, you need to make sure that the travel at the carb is the same as full pedal travel, otherwise you'll either not have enough travel or the carb will bottom before the pedal does.
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: throttle cable problem? EDIT: PICS ADDED - 09/18/09 09:08 PM

I use similar cable with the bracket AndyF makes. I have used it on an M1 4500/ dominator and then on an M1 4150/ 950. I was able to reuse everything over when I swapped intakes with a very small adjustment. I would reccomend that bracket to anybody. I painted mine. so easy and priced right.
here is a pic under the air cleaner
maybe this isnt tall enough to rear your intake/ carb combo?

Attached picture 5490696-bracket2.JPG
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: throttle cable problem? EDIT: PICS ADDED - 09/18/09 09:08 PM

and without

Attached picture 5490698-bracket1.JPG

Re: throttle cable problem? EDIT: PICS ADDED - 09/18/09 10:34 PM

Quote:

The amount of travel depends on which hole in the carb linkage that the cable goes to. The closer to the pivot shaft the less the cable travel has to be. (but the higher the effort) Also, you need to make sure that the travel at the carb is the same as full pedal travel, otherwise you'll either not have enough travel or the carb will bottom before the pedal does.

I did the pipe cutter trick and used a dremel to slice the rest of the metal sheath off. I now can get full throttle. Is there a problem if the carb bottoms before the pedal does?
Posted By: bigdad

Re: throttle cable problem? EDIT: PICS ADDED - 09/18/09 11:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I did the pipe cutter trick and used a dremel to slice the rest of the metal sheath off. I now can get full throttle. Is there a problem if the carb bottoms before the pedal does?

Yes, eventually it will ruin the throttle shaft
Put stopp under it

Post deleted by Defbob - 09/19/09 12:32 AM

© 2024 Moparts Forums